Off Topic Clubs - Beta: Coming Soon

7 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Fight club material right there! 

I just don;t like when someone suggests the moderators are not doing their job. I have asked them to help us find the way as a community. And that extends to giving people more rope the past few months. We try to be different than many other boards. The suggestion he made would have been terrible for the board (over moderation).

There are no sports, but if someone starts a covid thread just lock it without giving people a chance. We would have had a revolt on our hands if we did what he suggested.

But I like that poster DK and I really only responded rude because it rubs me the wrong way when someone suggests that volunteers aren't doing their jobs.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, PS17 said:

I agree with this. I flamed out on TGG a few years ago, got perma banned. Political discussion was allowed and I got so heated at some of the vile cretins on that board. Name calling, personal attacks, you name it. I couldn’t control myself and wound up hating so many posters I otherwise wouldn't have cared about. I see a similar dynamic happening here. We have a healthy forum for the most part. This idea could ruin that, @Maxman.

I will say this, the NFL forum is like an actual baby of mine. Scout was set to offer what I believed to be a 6 figure deal and I said no thanks. Didn't sign the NDA, didn't even let them make an offer?

Why?

Because that is how much I care about this site. I will close these clubs long before what you described happens. If the clubs get us through a tough time and we have to shut them down they will have been a success. Hopefully the work over the long haul but the magic 8 ball keeps saying not likely. Still, these are unprecedented times and so much of what is on peoples minds ends up impacting football. So it is hard to tell people they can't talk about it. But this NFL forum comes first. 

Besides if the Clubs end up ruining the site that will mean I was stupid for losing out on all that Scout money lol.

10 hours ago, thshadow said:

Maybe the clubs won't be as necessary once there's, you know, actual football to talk about it.

That is a very real possibility!

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Just a few more words on the subject @Maxmanbecause I hadn’t read the thread, just your OP.

This site, and the mods who run it, bend over backwards to be fair, and give people like me (I know I annoy people with my view on a certain player) every chance to voice an opinion, as long as we don’t get personal and/ or use foul language. 

I truely appreciate that.

I’ve learned in life to “never say never”, but even though I appreciate you allowing this opportunity to those who want it, I don’t see myself participating in the clubs, other than to maybe read what some have to say in them.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, ljr said:

excellent idea 

hope there is there is a reasonable way to stop the rabble-rousers from still acting the same way on the main board even with having a separate board to debate social and political issues on.

thx!

I hope so as well.

3 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

So.....naked girl pics are back?

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

I hope not, there will be ads in the Club, have to keep the lights on lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Max, I would hope you would reconsider greenwichjetfan's idea.  If you need to be a member already, (hopefully with some time already in), to join a club and you select another screen name for the club which the mods already know about, then the posters know that vicious or outlandish behavior in the clubs can get the poster banned from both the main website and the clubs.  This still leaves the site with the option of just kicking the member out of the club only for lesser offenses.

I think this will prevent the club posters thinking they are home-free to be disruptive.

Well I think we do need to leave open the possibility that someone could get banned from the site for something they do in the club. Otherwise it could get out of control. The two username thing would be impossible for us to manage on a technical level. I do expect that some people will create new usernames on their own for these purposes. We have the ability to lookup and research based on IP addresses, device types and things like that. But honestly the only time that tool is ever used is when someone causes a problem. So if anyone creates a 2nd name on their own unless they are personally attacking people we wouldn't even know.

22 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I think Max has the right idea. Anonymity would encourage users to be more inflammatory because there'd be no real risk of consequence to them.

Just my 2 cents.

I definitely think this is the case, thanks.

• Upvote 3

I usually try to avoid political conversations in general except with a handful of friends.  I have an unwritten rule I refuse to discuss is while watching or attending sporting events or on a beach.  

Covid though has a major impact on this football season as well as those of us with season tickets.  I’m looking forward to being able to discuss that (I’m assuming it will be in the new club section).  Will probably avoid most other topics since they can get ugly.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I usually try to avoid political conversations in general except with a handful of friends.  I have an unwritten rule I refuse to discuss is while watching or attending sporting events or on a beach.  

Covid though has a major impact on this football season as well as those of us with season tickets.  I’m looking forward to being able to discuss that (I’m assuming it will be in the new club section).  Will probably avoid most other topics since they can get ugly.  

Yes. This was a big part of the decision to move forward with the club. The original Covid thread was moved to the Club. That was something I found to be very educational but there were a handful of people posting stuff in there to derail it. I reopened the thread in that club.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well I think we do need to leave open the possibility that someone could get banned from the site for something they do in the club. Otherwise it could get out of control. The two username thing would be impossible for us to manage on a technical level. I do expect that some people will create new usernames on their own for these purposes. We have the ability to lookup and research based on IP addresses, device types and things like that. But honestly the only time that tool is ever used is when someone causes a problem. So if anyone creates a 2nd name on their own unless they are personally attacking people we wouldn't even know.

We should definiltey allow for different screen names in the clubs.  Can I have dibs on @T0mShane?  Thanks.

Seriously though, I can't wait to join those who plan on not signing up for a club and sticking to football.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Should we start a club for an off topic conversation on murder hornets or do we wait until they get here?

I don't want to be late to the game, thoughts are appreciated.

I don't know, do you want THIS.....on the main forum?

asian-hornet-female-full-width.jpg.thumb

Well....do ya.....:) 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

I just don;t like when someone suggests the moderators are not doing their job. I have asked them to help us find the way as a community. And that extends to giving people more rope the past few months. We try to be different than many other boards. The suggestion he made would have been terrible for the board (over moderation).

There are no sports, but if someone starts a covid thread just lock it without giving people a chance. We would have had a revolt on our hands if we did what he suggested.

But I like that poster DK and I really only responded rude because it rubs me the wrong way when someone suggests that volunteers aren't doing their jobs.

I would love to volunteer for 24 hours.  Is there a boot icon that you guys push? Maybe you guys should auction a "booting day" or "wanna be moderator day", giving the power to a regular Joe for one single day...could be fun and profitable for JN.  

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

It was extremely rude of me.

Doesn't mean you are right. The mods haven't slacked off, you are clueless as to mod activities because you can only see what remains public. So to be clear if you are rude to the mods who are doing a great job, during a pandemic, in a thankless job -- you will get rude returned to you.

I love the mods. I love the website. I love you too. That was never in question.

i simply gave my ideas regarding the policy change, was bashed to hell for it and followed up with evidence to support my claim. I dont think i was rude...for real.

i think it was taken not as constructive criticism but an attack which was never my intent.

well everyone is a nasty bitch these days cooped up at home, myself included, so i will drop it.

thanks for the good work all you guys do

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, PS17 said:

I agree with this. I flamed out on TGG a few years ago, got perma banned. Political discussion was allowed and I got so heated at some of the vile cretins on that board. Name calling, personal attacks, you name it. I couldn’t control myself and wound up hating so many posters I otherwise wouldn't have cared about. I see a similar dynamic happening here. We have a healthy forum for the most part. This idea could ruin that, @Maxman.

Thank you for understanding my position. 

There are 2 or 3 posters that i had no bad feelings for before covid19 and when we had a strict “no politics” policy. After reading all their stuff, when i see them making innocent comments on casual things like draft picks now i feel like punching them. Is it stupid? Of course it is but i am flawed and human. I cant control this. I dont think im alone.

Id really rather not know people political opinions. But no way im not gonna peek into that forum now, sadly. Yes, self control. Easier said than done

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

My original thought process was The poster would have a 1-1 club name tied to their JN name, and since there will be no exceptions and mods have full autonomy to kick posters out of the club, posters will still have to be on good behavior.

Still, another way to decentise jackassery would be to give a 5 day ban to the poster’s JN screenname along with kicking the poster out of the club.

Again, I appreciate that this may be technically difficult, which is why I finished my original post saying that the software may not even be capable of it.

Either way, should be interesting.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm just going to come right out and put a stake in the ground here. If any of you believe that it's even remotely reasonable to stand by the idea that a square shaped pizza is still considered pizza, just unfriend me right now.

Order a Grandma’s pizza today (only if you live in the tri-state area though)

Square. Thin crust. Light sauce. Fresh mozzarella, olive oil and fresh basil.

try it. Then thank me later.

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My original thought process was The poster would have a 1-1 club name tied to their JN name, and since there will be no exceptions and mods have full autonomy to kick posters out of the club, posters will still have to be on good behavior.

Still, another way to decentise jackassery would be to give a 5 day ban to the poster’s JN screenname along with kicking the poster out of the club.

Again, I appreciate that this may be technically difficult, which is why I finished my original post saying that the software may not even be capable of it.

Either way, should be interesting.

The software is designed for each user to have one user name. I really don't think there's a way for us to tie to user names together. People will be in the clubs under their current screen names. And that's really the point of opening this up. Not to talk anonymously to each other, but to talk to each other as we currently know each other. 

It also really needs to be noted that these are not being opened so that there's a little semi-private free-for-all on the site. People will get removed from the clubs pretty quickly if they can't play nice, and I am definitely predicting right now that people will be banned from the site completely for infractions in these clubs. If your general opinion is, "everyone who doesn't share my opinions is a moron," you'd probably be doing yourself a favor by staying out of them. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/13/2020 at 1:23 PM, Maxman said:

Okay so this post kind of proves my point. I have worked with these moderators for years and I can't even tell you what everyone's political affiliation is. My point is these conversations are already happening that is why the Club makes sense.

Maybe not every mod but I can tell you a couple that definitely have obvious political leanings. The question is will these mods be impartial.

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Maybe not every mod but I can tell you a couple that definitely have obvious political leanings. The question is will these mods be impartial.

Dude, enough. 

Every mod on this site has removed political posts representing views they abhor and views they share. You don't see what we see. We've had a no politics rule, and we've done our best to straddle the fence between letting people talk a little bit and shutting it down before it gets out of hand. It's a bit of a tightrope, and we get criticism no matter which way we go on any given post. But political preferences don't play a role in what's okay and what's not. In the clubs, discourse will be freer, but personal attacks will not be. It won't matter which side of any issue you're on if you're stepping over that line, stepping over will be the issue. 

So I would suggest that if you choose to participate in the clubs to share any opinion you might have, back it up with facts and links, and refrain from calling anyone who disagrees with you an idiot (or a racist or a communist or a fascist, etc.). If you are polite and respectful, you're gonna be good to go. If you see someone breaking those basic rules of common courtesy, please report the post. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I may shock slats here, but +1 to him. 

JN's Mods do a hell of a job IMO in a thankless, miserable volunteer "position" that never wins anyone friends and generally makes you enemies or at least bitterness.  slats, Crusher, Max, et al. are all good at this thing IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

JN's Mods do a hell of a job IMO in a thankless, miserable volunteer "position" that never wins anyone friends and generally makes you enemies or at least bitterness.  slats, Crusher, Max, et al. are all good at this thing IMO.

Thank you, man. :) 

• Sympathy 1

I'd like a club to review and critique other clubs + make fun of T0m. Where do I apply?

Also I want a crusher fan club called the fat farm, where we reapprotiate that term towards love and inclusion 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

Dude, enough. 

Every mod on this site has removed political posts representing views they abhor and views they share. You don't see what we see. We've had a no politics rule, and we've done our best to straddle the fence between letting people talk a little bit and shutting it down before it gets out of hand. It's a bit of a tightrope, and we get criticism no matter which way we go on any given post. But political preferences don't play a role in what's okay and what's not. In the clubs, discourse will be freer, but personal attacks will not be. It won't matter which side of any issue you're on if you're stepping over that line, stepping over will be the issue. 

So I would suggest that if you choose to participate in the clubs to share any opinion you might have, back it up with facts and links, and refrain from calling anyone who disagrees with you an idiot (or a racist or a communist or a fascist, etc.). If you are polite and respectful, you're gonna be good to go. If you see someone breaking those basic rules of common courtesy, please report the post. 

I respect you as a person, poster and mod even though we're on the opposite sides of the political spectrum. But please show me (post it) where I called anyone a "an idiot (or a racist or a communist or a fascist".

Again, please quote a post where I personally attacked or called anyone an idiot, racist, communist or a fascist".

That's why this forum needs to remain a football only forum without politics because it's so easy to trigger someone who disagrees with you even though they are a mod.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Deleted post due to political nature. I apologize if you've read this before my edit.

Edited by Big_Slick
I removed due to political subject matter.

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

I respect you as a person, poster and mod even though we're on the opposite sides of the political spectrum. But please show me (post it) where I called anyone a "an idiot (or a racist or a communist or a fascist".

Again, please quote a post where I personally attacked or called anyone an idiot, racist, communist or a fascist".

That's why this forum needs to remain a football only forum without politics because it's so easy to trigger someone who disagrees with you even though they are a mod.

Buddy, I never accused you of any such thing. That's a blanket example of what's not going to fly in the clubs or anywhere else, and some helpful advise for everyone reading it here on the public forum. If you (or anyone else) had called anyone any of those things, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You'd already be banned. 

Read that post again, without whatever nightmarish things you suspect of my personal opinions clouding your judgement. I'm telling you straight up that no one's opinion is going to be censored, but personal attacks will be. Aggressively. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Buddy, I never accused you of any such thing. That's a blanket example of what's not going to fly in the clubs or anywhere else, and some helpful advise for everyone reading it here on the public forum. If you (or anyone else) had called anyone any of those things, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You'd already be banned. 

Read that post again, without whatever nightmarish things you suspect of my personal opinions clouding your judgement. I'm telling you straight up that no one's opinion is going to be censored, but personal attacks will be. Aggressively. 

OK - peace brother. Let's just enjoy a - hopefully - great Jets season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

When did the mods here suddenly become “the bad guys?”

Ive interacted on this site with every single one of them. Laughed, joked and argued with them. There was never one time I thought they were being unfair.

in fact, there were times they gave me a heads up to chill out, so they wouldn’t have to ban me.

If guys here are getting their feelings hurt by the way the JN mods treat them in the football forums, they’re going to get eaten alive in these club forum things.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I will agree. I never sensed any political leanings with mods. To take it a step further, idk who the mods are. I mean i know crusher, hes a nice fair guy and slats too but who else? I think sperm edwards but he hardly posts. I cant think of any others off hand.  Thats a compiment.

oh yea faba

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

When did the mods here suddenly become “bad guys?”

Ive interacted on this site with every single one of the mods, laughed, joked and argued with them also. There was never once a time I thought they were being unfair.

in fact, there were times they gave me a heads up to chill out, so they wouldn’t have to ban me.

If guys here are getting their feelings hurt by the way the JN mods treat them, they’re going to get eaten alive in these club forum things.

Agreed. The mods, in my experience, have always been very fair. I, too, have had a few occasions where I was skirting/crossing some lines, and instead of being temp banned, like they could've done, I just got a stern warning to knock it off.

The mods say all the time that they really DON'T want to ban posters, or lock threads, or delete posts. They only do so when it's really necessary. Like others have said, it's a tough, thankless "job", and I wouldn't want to do it. I'm very grateful for what they do; each one of them.

And if anyone is already worried about the clubs, and has a predetermined negative view of how they're going to work, then I'd say they're probably not for them anyway. Just enjoy the site as it already is.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I will agree. I never sensed any political leanings with mods. To take it a step further, idk who the mods are. I mean i know crusher, hes a nice fair guy and slats too but who else? I think sperm edwards but he hardly posts. I cant think of any others off hand.  Thats a compiment.

oh yea faba

Don't forget @Charlie Brown and @nycdan!

And @JoeC36 and @Thor99, who I don't think post as often as they used to.

• Upvote 2