Jump to content

Darnold’s Orchestrated Workouts Getting Crowded in Florida


Recommended Posts

Sam Darnold

It was roughly one week ago when Jets fans found out that quarterback Sam Darnold was going to be put together some workouts down in Florida with a few of his Jets teammates in an effort to build some chemistry and cohesion with teams unable to work out during the nation’s Covid-19 Pandemic.

Initial reports said Darnold would meet with rookie receiver Denzel Mims and free agent acquisition Breshad Perriman.  From there we were told tight end Chris Herndon would also be coming along with Frank Gore and Le’Veon Bell.

Now, after a few sessions down south, it seems Darnold brought along even more than that as imaged of receivers Braxton Berrios and undrafted receivers Lawrence Cager and George Campbell have also surfaced through the instagram account of the session’s photographer..

So what first looked like a few sessions with Darnold and a couple of his new targets has turned in to a trip with his 2020 projected starters and much more.

 

The post Darnold’s Orchestrated Workouts Getting Crowded in Florida appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
_YSRs43Zi5s

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing that could come out of this big turnout is Darnold turning into a "Junior OC".  Where he can dictate to the offensive staff the plays he likes, dislikes and what concepts need to be

Can’t wait to see Sam And Denzel start playing the back shoulder game, that’s going to be fun to watch.  Sam throws the back shoulder really well and Denzel can work the sideline with the best of them

Who arranged the workouts seems as murky out here as...... Who killed JKF!!     Well facts are stubborn things they are not dependent on ones likes or dislikes or wishes....... htt

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Can’t wait to see Sam And Denzel start playing the back shoulder game, that’s going to be fun to watch.  Sam throws the back shoulder really well and Denzel can work the sideline with the best of them.  

Watching film on Perriman, he also looks like an excellent back shoulder candidate

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Watching film on Perriman, he also looks like an excellent back shoulder candidate

Perhaps, but Perriman isn’t as good extending outside his body and working the sideline.  Perriman could be valuable on comeback routes where defenders are having to respect the fact that he could run past them.  Mims and Perriman should be able to work off of each other and compliment each other though.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRL said:

The best thing that could come out of this big turnout is Darnold
turning into a "Junior OC".  Where he can dictate to the offensive
staff the plays he likes, dislikes and what concepts need to be
emphasized going into camp.  This offense needs to be his 

I really hope this is true, because Gase needs to be a lot more flexible with his gamelans and play calling.  The problem is that he has a true "Yes man" in Loggins and has shown no propensity for adapting to date.

Any coach who doesnt spend their offseason looking around the league at what plays they can take from other teams isnt doing their job. There should be no such thing as "my system".  Gase can have overall concepts he likes and his specific terminology, but other then that he should be finding plays that work for a mobile QB and a RB who can excel as a pass catcher.  Thats it.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KRL said:

The best thing that could come out of this big turnout is Darnold
turning into a "Junior OC".  Where he can dictate to the offensive
staff the plays he likes, dislikes and what concepts need to be
emphasized going into camp.  This offense needs to be his 

I’d be equally interested in if they are having some white board sessions breaking down plays and a group think tank session where folks are sharing plays that have worked well in Tampa, Pitt and NE. This offense under Gase must incorporate more misdirection plays, hurry-up and big play opportunities. 
 

No more 2 runs up the gut and a check down 3 yards short of the sticks! 
 

@BCJet I see we are thinking alike. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KRL said:

The best thing that could come out of this big turnout is Darnold
turning into a "Junior OC".  Where he can dictate to the offensive
staff the plays he likes, dislikes and what concepts need to be
emphasized going into camp.  This offense needs to be his 

Gase credited Darnold last year with coming to him and making suggestions, and the positive effects that had. Yeah, there definitely needs to be a lot more of that. And while Sam needs to be the centerpiece, they should be listening to what Bell likes in the running game and where Perriman is comfortable. The best offensive coaches are the adaptable ones who get the most of the players they have. I share the concern that Gase has his system and is trying to fit his players into it, rather than adapting his offense to his players. I'm hoping there's a lot more of the latter this year, and that it's implemented from the get go. I agree with you that sessions like this put the QB is the leadership role, and he should come out of it with more confidence to speak up to the coaches, while also having his teammates firmly behind him. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Big props to Bell and Perriman for being the guys who put this together.

This offense needs leadership from within, and it looks like they’ve taken on that role this offseason.

Nice to see Sam and so many others joining them in Florida. I like everything about this.

  • Thumb Down 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KRL said:

The best thing that could come out of this big turnout is Darnold
turning into a "Junior OC".  Where he can dictate to the offensive
staff the plays he likes, dislikes and what concepts need to be
emphasized going into camp.  This offense needs to be his 

That's what Peyton did with Gase and that worked well..

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Can’t wait to see Sam And Denzel start playing the back shoulder game, that’s going to be fun to watch.  Sam throws the back shoulder really well and Denzel can work the sideline with the best of them.  

i agree w/ back shoulder.

but, how much evidence do we have to say Sam is good at it? It was a rarity, as far as I can remember.

i am NOT saying that he doesnt it do it well, or cannot dio it well either...    just that I have only seen a few examples.

it's a timing thing to0, when the ball gets thrown, when the WR knows to look for it....

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd love to see Sam develop a la Peyton as for calling the offense, presnap adjustments and changing the call at the line...

that'd be great. but is that expecting too much?

cos, apparently, i am not in touch with freality cos i would have liked to see him play much better than he did his first 2 years

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BCJet said:

I really hope this is true, because Gase needs to be a lot more flexible with his gamelans and play calling.  The problem is that he has a true "Yes man" in Loggins and has shown no propensity for adapting to date.

Loggins is certainly a yes man for sure, no doubt. However, when Sam went to Gase about the offense Gase listened and the offense changed. Coaches are teachers, and both go in with a plan to start the year. If the students/players don't speak up about any issues they are having or provide feedback the teachers/coaches are going to have a harder time helping them. Sam spoke up, provided feedback, and Gase listened. Hopefully going into year two you will see those changes integrated and the offense will continue to evolve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i agree w/ back shoulder.

but, how much evidence do we have to say Sam is good at it? It was a rarity, as far as I can remember.

i am NOT saying that he doesnt it do it well, or cannot dio it well either...    just that I have only seen a few examples.

it's a timing thing to0, when the ball gets thrown, when the WR knows to look for it....

You also need wrs who are also good at back should throws/catches. Robby Anderson never really proved to be good at anything other then run fast and deep and he was the primary target. Hopefully this will be a better WR group for Sam to work with.  Sam has shown pretty good placement so I'm not worried that he can't throw back shoulder balls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, slats said:

It's cute when you try to pretend that you're not a troll, but then still get that backhand in at Darnold. 

Actually I think it’s cute that so many here last week took a poorly worded title in another thread earlier this week about this camp, and either couldn’t or didn’t read and understand how this all came about.

People seem to want to make it out to be Sam’s idea, and act like he was the driving force behind it. He wasn’t.

I keep pointing that out. I think credit should be given to the two guys who organized it, not the guy who it would make people feel feel warm and fuzzy for having done so.

I also keep giving Sam credit for joining his teammates every time I do point it out though, because he deserves it.

If that bothers you, and you consider it trolling, that’s a “you” problem. Not a “me” problem.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually I think it’s cute that so many here last week took a poorly worded title in another thread earlier this week about this camp, and either couldn’t or didn’t read and understand how this all came about.

People seem to want to make it out to be Sam’s idea, and act like he was the driving force behind it. He wasn’t.

I keep pointing that out. I think credit should be given to the two guys who organized it, not the guy who it would make people feel feel warm and fuzzy for having done so.

I also keep giving Sam credit for joining his teammates every time I do point it out though, because he deserves it.

If that bothers you, and you consider it trolling, that’s a “you” problem. Not a “me” problem.

 

See? This is much more out in the open. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Lol

Not the first time I’ve said it though. Surprised you, of all people missed it.

 

I've seen it many times. You're right. Trolls do tend to repeat themselves. :) 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

You also need wrs who are also good at back should throws/catches. Robby Anderson never really proved to be good at anything other then run fast and deep and he was the primary target. Hopefully this will be a better WR group for Sam to work with.  Sam has shown pretty good placement so I'm not worried that he can't throw back shoulder balls.

robby wasnt the best all around wr, true. but he did ok on the couple backshoulders thrown to him. not the dramatic leaping twisting ones that are more common and that more acrobatic dudes do make though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

robby wasnt the best all around wr, true. but he did ok on the couple backshoulders thrown to him. not the dramatic leaping twisting ones that are more common and that more acrobatic dudes do make though.

On anything but a go route Robby was that broken clock that was right twice a day if you happened to look at it at the right time. If he did OK on a couple of back shoulder throws I guess the throws were good enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Can’t wait to see Sam And Denzel start playing the back shoulder game, that’s going to be fun to watch.  Sam throws the back shoulder really well and Denzel can work the sideline with the best of them.  

In the Big 12 at least!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jet Nut

I swear, I just repped your post in the thread about your health issue.

I started typing out a reply saying I couldn’t wait for you to feel well enough to rip into me for saying something stupid about Sam. I decided to delete it, because I didn’t think that thread was the place for it. 

Then boom! 5 minutes later you rep one of my comments about him here.

I couldn’t be happier, my friend! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, slats said:

See? This is much more out in the open. 

USA TODAY.

The New York Jets weren't able to build chemistry this spring with a traditional offseason program.  

So Sam Darnold is taking things into his own hands. 

The Jets' quarterback set up informal throwing workouts with his teammates for this weekend near Miami, a person familiar with the players' plans confirmed to the USA TODAY Network. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they had not been authorized to disclose the information.

The three-day session will give some of the Jets a chance to get on the field together for the first time since the end of the season.

Nearly every key offensive skill player will attend, according to ESPN, about 24 Jets in total, including receivers Jamison Crowder, Breshad Perriman and Denzel Mims, running backs Le’Veon Bell and Frank Gore, and tight end Chris Herndon. 

The NFL shut down all practice facilities in March and teams conducted their official offseason programs virtually because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Jets don't plan to have the full team back at the facility until training camp begins at the end of July. The NFL continues to go forward with plans to play its season on schedule. 

The workouts will gave Darnold a chance to build chemistry with his newest weapons: Perriman and Gore were added in free agency and Mims was drafted in the second round of April's NFL Draft.

Darnold, who turned 23 last week, showed flashes of promise mixed with inconsistency in his first two seasons. He's hoping for a breakout year on the field in this critical third season, but he said last month that he also expected to grow as a leader. And getting the team together to work out is an example of that.

“As you grow, I think those things kind of happen naturally,” Darnold said. “As I grow and mature and continue to be the quarterback for this organization, I’m just going to continue to mold into the leader that I’m going to become.” 

Darnold and the Jets will work out at Bommarito Performance System in Aventura, Florida, which, according to ESPN, is where Bell, Gore and Perriman train during the offseason. A large contingent of Bills players worked out at the facility last week. 

The New York Daily News first reported the workouts. 

Jets general manager Joe Douglas completely overhauled the offensive line this offseason and the group is expected to be much improved over last year's disaster. However, the weapons around Darnold remain a major question mark after the team lost their top receiver in free agency, letting Robby Anderson sign a reasonable contract wit the Panthers and ruled out Quincy Enunwa for the season with his neck injury. 

Perriman has the potential to be an upgrade over Anderson. But that is far from being a certainty.

The 26-year-old was one of the best receivers in the NFL at the end of last season, catching five touchdown for 550 yards in the final six games for the Bucs. But it's far from a lock that he can do that for the Jets, as Perriman has never had a stretch of similar production since the Ravens used a first-round pick on him in 2015. 

The Jets should also benefit from the return of Herndon, who was a versatile threat in his first season but missed nearly all of last year because of injuries and suspension. Mims has the speed and talent to contribute immediately, but also is viewed as a player who has a lot of room for growth before reaching his full potential.

Gore's experience and power running ability should also help the Jets, if he can continue to defy time and play well at age 37. And after a nightmare first season with the Jets, Bell should be in a better position to succeed because of the upgrades to the offensive line. 

Of course, we won't know how it all fits together until the games are played. But the Jets will finally start building toward that, in person, this weekend.

 

No trolling, just a USA Today piece

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

 

USA TODAY.

The New York Jets weren't able to build chemistry this spring with a traditional offseason program.  

So Sam Darnold is taking things into his own hands. 

The Jets' quarterback set up informal throwing workouts with his teammates for this weekend near Miami, a person familiar with the players' plans confirmed to the USA TODAY Network. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they had not been authorized to disclose the information.

The three-day session will give some of the Jets a chance to get on the field together for the first time since the end of the season.

Nearly every key offensive skill player will attend, according to ESPN, about 24 Jets in total, including receivers Jamison Crowder, Breshad Perriman and Denzel Mims, running backs Le’Veon Bell and Frank Gore, and tight end Chris Herndon. 

The NFL shut down all practice facilities in March and teams conducted their official offseason programs virtually because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Jets don't plan to have the full team back at the facility until training camp begins at the end of July. The NFL continues to go forward with plans to play its season on schedule. 

The workouts will gave Darnold a chance to build chemistry with his newest weapons: Perriman and Gore were added in free agency and Mims was drafted in the second round of April's NFL Draft.

Darnold, who turned 23 last week, showed flashes of promise mixed with inconsistency in his first two seasons. He's hoping for a breakout year on the field in this critical third season, but he said last month that he also expected to grow as a leader. And getting the team together to work out is an example of that.

“As you grow, I think those things kind of happen naturally,” Darnold said. “As I grow and mature and continue to be the quarterback for this organization, I’m just going to continue to mold into the leader that I’m going to become.” 

Darnold and the Jets will work out at Bommarito Performance System in Aventura, Florida, which, according to ESPN, is where Bell, Gore and Perriman train during the offseason. A large contingent of Bills players worked out at the facility last week. 

The New York Daily News first reported the workouts. 

Jets general manager Joe Douglas completely overhauled the offensive line this offseason and the group is expected to be much improved over last year's disaster. However, the weapons around Darnold remain a major question mark after the team lost their top receiver in free agency, letting Robby Anderson sign a reasonable contract wit the Panthers and ruled out Quincy Enunwa for the season with his neck injury. 

Perriman has the potential to be an upgrade over Anderson. But that is far from being a certainty.

The 26-year-old was one of the best receivers in the NFL at the end of last season, catching five touchdown for 550 yards in the final six games for the Bucs. But it's far from a lock that he can do that for the Jets, as Perriman has never had a stretch of similar production since the Ravens used a first-round pick on him in 2015. 

The Jets should also benefit from the return of Herndon, who was a versatile threat in his first season but missed nearly all of last year because of injuries and suspension. Mims has the speed and talent to contribute immediately, but also is viewed as a player who has a lot of room for growth before reaching his full potential.

Gore's experience and power running ability should also help the Jets, if he can continue to defy time and play well at age 37. And after a nightmare first season with the Jets, Bell should be in a better position to succeed because of the upgrades to the offensive line. 

Of course, we won't know how it all fits together until the games are played. But the Jets will finally start building toward that, in person, this weekend.

 

No trolling, just a USA Today piece

This article doesn’t cite the fact that Bell and Perriman (and I think Herndon) had been working out there, and got word to other teammates about their doing so.

Others, Sam included, then joined them there. Once the QB came, even more followed.

If it makes everyone here feel better to think it was Sam’s idea though, that fine. 

It isn’t how it happened, but it’s no big deal. Whatever floats your boat.

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

On anything but a go route Robby was that broken clock that was right twice a day if you happened to look at it at the right time. If he did OK on a couple of back shoulder throws I guess the throws were good enough. 

oh, ur one of those...

i guess the red zone tds dont count?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

This article doesn’t cite the fact that Bell and Perriman had been working out there, and got word to other teammates about their doing so.

Others, Sam included, then joined them there.

If it makes everyone here feel better that it was Sam’s idea though, that fine. 

It isn’t how it happened, but it’s no big deal. Whatever floats your boat.

 

Bell works out all year around down here, he has a history of missing Pittsburg camps to work out at UM.  Perriman is a Florida workout warrior too.  Doesnt mean they put together enough players to draw more players to Florida to get this done.  I dont see anywhere that Bell cared either way with having the rest of the offense show up and practice along with him.  Bells more about getting into football shape, not about practice.  

Theres a difference

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

oh, ur one of those...

i guess the red zone tds dont count?

What he have 2 or 3 of those?  
He had the long TD vs Dallas, another earlier, one vs Pitts.  

Thats 3

He only scored 5, 5!  So how many Red Zone TDs did he get given the ones listed that came outside of the RZ?

And funny, in your world Sam had nothing to do with RZ TDS,  Just the guy you imagined with them

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...