Quinnen Williams Article

KRL

7 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Everytime i read an article like this i get pissed thinking how if ******* people in the US just all wore masks we'd get an NFL season in September.

Fact - only N95 rated masks - properly worn - will protect against COVID. That's why medical professionals treating COVID patients wear them. Regular or surgical masks will not stop the airborne virus particulates (which can remain airborne for 3 hours) that are so small they pass right through any non N95 rated mask. The particulates are emitted while talking and breathing and pass right through non N95 masks.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KRL said:

Williams at the minimum has to produce these stats:

16 Games

50+ Tackles
7+ Sacks
15+ TFL

No excuse for the #3 pick in the draft not to put
up these numbers 

The excuse is that Macc drafted a non-impact DT with the #3 pick. Just because QW was picked ahead of where he should have been picked doesn't mean he should be a superman and put up elite edge rusher stats while he plays DT.

QW is now ours and we have to make the best of it and just accept that he's a DT and a damn good one that will only get better every year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is all I took from this article.

#3 overall pick. Couldnt even put down Oreos until his second season.

The Cimini article also said about QW  - "Good nutrition also is a staple of the plan. Williams, who used a personal chef during the season, hired one for the off season, too.

What he needs is another year to train and get stronger and realize that he's now playing against NFL caliber competition and that he must improve his technique and body composition. To break into Alabama's line up Saban made him gain weight to play inside. That's why he only has one year of playing experience. Now, he can lose that fat and put on muscle and use his natural quickness and athleticism to be the best DL wherever GW chooses to deploy him.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

If Quinnen Williams hits his ceiling he'll be a more impactful player than Josh Allen.  All we can do now is wait and see if that happens.

May be. But unsaid in the article is the #3 draft pick, Q,  did not do these things last year. I don;t think the combine is the most important thing don't understand how you take a guy at that position who begs off on benching 225. The whole position is being strong as sheet, think Kerry Jenkins or Aaron Donald or Hali Ngata, big, strong, nasty. And this kid did not appear to get that. At all. Oh, now after getting #3 $ for 1 season already, he's gonna take his job seriously. Oh, thanks. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like Quinnen should be a 3-4 end where he won’t get beat to sh*t as much. He might be miscast as a DT. He gives me Shaun Ellis vibes in that we’re going to waste some of his career playing out of position

I think he would kick ass on Dancing with the stars! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RobR said:

Considering this was from a week ago, I think he needs a new trainer.

101055144_3122295647860318_6450985016436

You've got to be kidding.  THIS is the result of his new dedication to intense workouts?  I was expecting to be able to crack walnuts on his ass.  What did he do, give up the Oreos for Chips Ahoy! and Kit Kats?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

You've got to be kidding.  THIS is the result of his new dedication to intense workouts?  I was expecting to be able to crack walnuts on his ass.  What did he do, give up the Oreos for Chips Ahoy! and Kit Kats?

underwhelming fitness

nice kid and all, but....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

This narrative is going to lead to the eventual divorce of the Jets and Jamal Adams. Either a trade, or they let him play out his deal and walk - maybe even after franchising him once or twice. Maybe I'm the one projecting here, but nothing Joe Douglas has done so far suggests to me that he's going to pay Adams anything more than top SS pay, if that. 

Yes - "When the sides get around to serious negotiating, there could be a difference of opinion on his true value. That's because Adams is more than a safety, which undoubtedly will factor into his asking price."

Adams is nothing more than a top 10 SS (a non-impact position) and *nothing* more. GW used him in different roles last season because he had no choice due to the lack of talent and more importantly the injuries that forced him to use Adams in multiple non-SS roles. This season with a healthy defense Adams will be reduced to the box safety his is, with hands of stone. That's just maybe why he (and his agent) is pushing so hard to get a contract extension now and not after the traditional 4th season for a first round pick.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

The Cimini article also said about QW  - "Good nutrition also is a staple of the plan. Williams, who used a personal chef during the season, hired one for the off season, too.

What he needs is another year to train and get stronger and realize that he's now playing against NFL caliber competition and that he must improve his technique and body composition. To break into Alabama's line up Saban made him gain weight to play inside. That's why he only has one year of playing experience. Now, he can lose that fat and put on muscle and use his natural quickness and athleticism to be the best DL wherever GW chooses to deploy him.

Bet you a box of twinkies he doesnt change his body as much as you think. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

The first case in the US occurred less than two weeks after the Chinese first identified the virus. Three days after that, on January 23, 2020, Wuhan was in complete lockdown. At that point, the US was officially pretending that this was no big deal, and continued to do nothing for another six weeks, outside of banning travel from anyone who'd recently been in China. Again, this is after the disease was already in the US. It wasn't until 3/23 that the president declared a state of emergency. Had he done that just a couple weeks sooner, the tolls are half of what they are now. Had the country been aggressively preventing the spread of the disease from the time of their first case, the situation would've been dramatically different. 

Blaming China is silly when you look at all the things the US did wrong, especially when you can look around the world and see countries who did a much better job. 

@Maxman This is one of your non political mod's. China locked down DOMESTIC TRAVEL from WUHAN but allowed WUHAN infected citizens to travel to the worlds biggest tourism centers.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Wow he is working out 4 times a week now! 

My iron woman triathlete sister in law works out 4 times a day.

Well if they were referring to weight training (unless you're on the roids) your body needs a days rest between each session. Hopefully he is doing cardio 6 times a week.

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

@Maxman This is one of your non political mod's. China locked down DOMESTIC TRAVEL from WUHAN but allowed WUHAN infected citizens to travel to the worlds biggest tourism centers.

You never replied to my post to you in the clubs thread. 

What in the post you quoted here is inaccurate? In that post, I mention the only thing the US did in the first six weeks after their first case was to ban travel from anyone who'd recently been to China. It's in there. Once the virus hit US shores, whatever China had done to that point was moot. Now it was up to the US to contain it. Again, the US had it's first case less than two weeks after China identified the virus. You're upset about what China did in those two weeks? What about the six weeks after the first case in the US when the country did nothing? And the president was getting briefings before that first case, too. Mexico has a larger complaint about the US bringing the virus here than the US has about China, IMHO. 

I've been living outside the states for almost six months now, and that's (gleefully) included absolutely zero cable news. I try to read facts, not propaganda. I stay away from extreme sources on either side and, in fact, am more likely to read an extremist article from a view I don't share to see what's going on over there. 

Have I or another mod ever been unfair to you? 

I considered PM'ing you, but you're clearly calling me out out here. Do you have a legitimate gripe? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

Again, this is after the disease was already in the US. It wasn't until 3/23 that the president declared a state of emergency.

And this was the crux of so many industries not being able to shut down earlier because of insurance clauses. The cast and crew of an entire Broadway show was coming up positive—and my company was still sending reps to the theater—all because a certain despot was in steep denial about triggering a ****ed up insurance clause to save his wretched ass politically. 

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Fact - only N95 rated masks - properly worn - will protect against COVID. That's why medical professionals treating COVID patients wear them. Regular or surgical masks will not stop the airborne virus particulates (which can remain airborne for 3 hours) that are so small they pass right through any non N95 rated mask. The particulates are emitted while talking and breathing and pass right through non N95 masks.

You're very very wrong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2020/06/13/face-masks-may-be-the-key-determinant-of-the-covid-19-curve-study-suggests/#4e9b534b6497

Any sort of masks will stop larger particulates, smaller ones will fall through, but limiting the bigger ones stop covid from accumulating volume to the level of infection. 

In fact stay at home doesnt even matter new studies show, it's only face masks that matter

“Our analysis reveals that the difference with and without mandated face covering represents the determinant in shaping the trends of the pandemic,” the team, from Texas A&M University, the University of Texas at Austin, California Institute of Technology, and the University of California San Diego, write in their new paper.

They analyzed the various mitigation measures put in place in the three major centers of the outbreak—Wuhan, Italy, and New York City—from January 23 to May 9, 2020. The team also looked at the slopes of the curves representing the number of new cases, and how they changed after each measure was mandated. For instance, in NYC, the stay-at-home and social distancing orders didn’t do a lot: the curve really started to change after masks were mandatory. (See the figure below.) Compare that to the U.S. overall, which never put in place a face-covering policy.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Like I said earlier, I like QW and think he’s going to play better this season.

I think we should hold off on the “he’s one of those rare players...” stuff until he actually does play better though.

As of today, there is absolutely nothing “rare” about him. Saying he was “Average” would be pushing it.

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain. I got one playing basketball when I was in highschool. I didn't  walk without a limp for months. He came back in 3 weeks

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

You're very very wrong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2020/06/13/face-masks-may-be-the-key-determinant-of-the-covid-19-curve-study-suggests/#4e9b534b6497

Any sort of masks will stop larger particulates, smaller ones will fall through, but limiting the bigger ones stop covid from accumulating volume to the level of infection. 

In fact stay at home doesnt even matter new studies show, it's only face masks that matter

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

I'll refrain from replying due to the political nature of the topic. This discussion should be in the new 'clubs' sub-forum. I apologize for replying to the original post.

Have a good day and stay safe.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

You never replied to my post to you in the clubs thread. 

What in the post you quoted here is inaccurate? In that post, I mention the only thing the US did in the first six weeks after their first case was to ban travel from anyone who'd recently been to China. It's in there. Once the virus hit US shores, whatever China had done to that point was moot. Now it was up to the US to contain it. Again, the US had it's first case less than two weeks after China identified the virus. You're upset about what China did in those two weeks? What about the six weeks after the first case in the US when the country did nothing? And the president was getting briefings before that first case, too. Mexico has a larger complaint about the US bringing the virus here than the US has about China, IMHO. 

I've been living outside the states for almost six months now, and that's (gleefully) included absolutely zero cable news. I try to read facts, not propaganda. I stay away from extreme sources on either side and, in fact, am more likely to read an extremist article from a view I don't share to see what's going on over there. 

Have I or another mod ever been unfair to you? 

I considered PM'ing you, but you're clearly calling me out out here. Do you have a legitimate gripe? 

I'm behind trying to keep up with the replies, it takes a boomer longer to compose responses.

I apologize for offending you. We've shared the same football forums since USENET and I highly value your insight.

I'm not going to join the clubs, but I hope all this political nonsense that slips through the football forum is now going to be restricted to the clubs.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm going to preface this by saying I completely agree with your sentiment here, so I am in no way trying to create an argument.  However, understanding that I will never understand what it is like to be in QW shoes I find it hard to judge the kid on the highlighted text. 

For context, I have always been a good athlete, played a little in college, but I had to put in a ton of work to get to that point because while a good athlete I was not an explosive natural athlete. Everything I got i gained through extremely long nights and a lot of sacrifices.

None of that is meant to be complimentary to myself, what it is meant for is to illustrate a point. I HAVE NEVER BEEN AS TALENTED AS QW and frankly not many have been.  So is it understandable that a kid that has always been able to dominate at almost every level he has played by doing simply what was required of him.  Now this is not to say he was not a hard worker at his time in HS or his time in Alabama.  I have seen articles that he worked extremely hard, so that isnt to say that all of a sudden he has to work hard, i am 100% sure he has worked his ass off to get to this point.  

The difference in the NFL is that everyone is as talented as the next guy, and all of them are doing every single thing possible to gain an edge. I think the fact of the matter is that it takes some kids coming in longer to realize that sometimes just working hard isn't enough to be good in this league.  It takes a completely other level of dedication that they have never had to even consider because what they had done had always been enough to dominate. 

So it's easy for me as a former athlete and current coach envious of his opportunity to sit there and be like "hey man cmon you're in the NFL you should be so committed to this and do every little thing possible",  in reality i can never really relate to the situation. While, yes I would have worked my ass off and did every single thing possible to succeed, that is because that is all I ever knew.  A guy as insanely talented as QW has a completely different perspective on that than myself. 

Not trying to preach, I just think it's an interesting talking point to dissect when we analyze players. 

No, I get exactly what you’re saying.

i went off to play D1 baseball years ago, thinking I’d soon be on a baseball card. It was back when they still had Freshman teams, and it didn’t take long for me to realize I needed to find out where the library and bookstore were. I couldn’t believe the difference in the level of talent from high school and summer leagues.

Thats why you’ll never see me say a player “stinks” or call him a “bum”. I realize the work, and talent it takes to succeed at the college level, much less the pros.

I may not buy into the hype about a lot ofguys, because I’ve heard and seen it all before. I played a sport I loved and took very seriously, and went as far as I could go. I’ll never knock or make fun of anyone for not succeeding, just show me you tried.

It’s lost on most people how good these guys have to be just to get the opportunity at the pro level.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain. I got one playing basketball when I was in highschool. I didn't  walk without a limp for months. He came back in 3 weeks

No I never had that injury, and if you read what I said about QW, I’m rooting for him and think he’ll end up being a good player.

Then if you look one more time at my reply to your first post and read that one also, you’ll see that what I said was it’s too soon to use the word “rare” when discussing him.

That statement, whether you agree with it or not, has nothing to do with a high ankle sprain injury you and him have in common. Unless of course you’re referring to a “rare” ability to recover quickly from high ankle sprains.

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

No I never had that injury, and if you read what I said about QW, I’m rooting for him and think he’ll end up being a good player.

Then if you look one more time at my reply to your first post and read that one also, you’ll see that what I said was it’s too soon to use the word “rare” when discussing him.

That statement, whether you agree with it or not, has nothing to do with a high ankle sprain injury you and him have in common. Unless of course you’re referring to a “rare” ability to recover quickly from high ankle sprains.

You made a judgement  about him correct?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

No, I get exactly what you’re saying.

i went off to play D1 baseball years ago, thinking I’d soon be on a baseball card. It was back when they still had Freshman teams, and it didn’t take long for me to realize I needed to find out where the library and bookstore were. I couldn’t believe the difference in the level of talent from high school and summer leagues.

Thats why you’ll never see me say a player “stinks” or call him a “bum”. I realize the work, and talent it takes to succeed at the college level, much less the pros.

I may not buy into the hype about a lot ofguys, because I’ve heard and seen it all before. I played a sport I loved and took very seriously, and went as far as I could go. I’ll never knock or make fun of anyone for not succeeding, just show me you tried.

It’s lost on most people how good these guys have to be just to get the opportunity at the pro level.

Yea I agree, I just think the narrative of thinking players are fools for not figuring it out after year one, or labeling guys busts after 1 sub par season that fell short of their expectations is lazy. There is so much more that goes into it than people realize.  Especially when you consider only a small section of the population can fully understand their mindset going into the league.  Some of these guys have only known being the best player or dominating regularly, so coming to the conclusion that you have to change what has always worked for you isn't something that is always the easiest thing. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

And this was the crux of so many industries not being able to shut down earlier because of insurance clauses. The cast and crew of an entire Broadway show was coming up positive—and my company was still sending reps to the theater—all because a certain despot was in steep denial about triggering a ****ed up insurance clause to save his wretched ass politically. 

T0m do you like hanging with the show tunes crowd? @joewiliy12 ???. (get better dude).

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea I agree, I just think the narrative of thinking players are fools for not figuring it out after year one, or labeling guys busts after 1 sub par season that fell short of their expectations is lazy. There is so much more that goes into it than people realize.  Especially when you consider only a small section of the population can fully understand their mindset going into the league.  Some of these guys have only known being the best player or dominating regularly, so coming to the conclusion that you have to change what has always worked for you isn't something that is always the easiest thing. 

And then there’s that moment 99.9% of athletes face, which is when they realize they’ve gone as far as they can go. Every instinct they have tells them to work harder, and they will be okay, but at some point they realize, no, they’ve done as much as their talent will allow.

I feel for those guys. Remember last year when Polite was drafted and couldn’t get on the field with second string defenses? He was getting killed here.

you will never convince me the kid gave up, he worked too hard for that, but for whatever reason, be it not knowing how to train for the level of play(which I doubt) he was about to experience, or a lack of maturity (understandable to a point) the kid just was overwhelmed in camp.

Its horrible enough when it happens on a high school or college level, but when it happens in a city like New York, where fans, newspapers, tv commentators and such are ripping you to shreds calling you a bust?

It’s not that easy, or cut and dried. Thats something only people who’ve been in an arena can empathize with.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Everytime i read an article like this i get pissed thinking how if ******* people in the US just all wore masks we'd get an NFL season in September.

Aint happening.  Every day people are getting more and more defiant.  Was at Van Cortland Park in Bronx today.  Lots of people BBQ and doing the picnic, soccer, volleyball, softball, lounging thing.  And not exactly social distancing.  I'd say 20% had on masks. And that's being generous.

26 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Aint happening.  Every day people are getting more and more defiant.  Was at Van Cortland Park in Bronx today.  Lots of people BBQ and doing the picnic, soccer, volleyball, softball, lounging thing.  And not exactly social distancing.  I'd say 20% had on masks. And that's being generous.

After the protests, how can you expect people to go back to the social distancing?

ive only been back on Long Island for a week now, down in SC it was very different. We were very lucky. I can’t imagine what you guys have been through for 3 months.

i mean, I’ve heard the stories from my family, and they tell me things are easing up, but I can’t believe how deserted the roads and shopping centers are. 

Its eerie.