Coronavirus: Ezekiel Elliott, several Cowboys and Texans players test positive for COVID-19, per report

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's evidence on my side of the argument.  There's virtually none on your side of the argument, that its possible to merely isolate at-risk populations and be good to go.  That's not how human beings work, and we still don't know exactly how long people need to be isolated even AFTER they've been infected:

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/04/08/covid-recovery

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/1/21201045/coronavirus-covid-19-recovery-isolation-contagious-cdc-data

https://www.aafp.org/journals/fpm/blogs/inpractice/entry/covid19_work_notes.html

Some say 7 days, some say 10.  Either way, it's nearly impossible to just tell the infected/at risk crowd to stay at home entirely.  How are you going to tell 30 % of the population to self-isolate for an indefinite period?

your "evidence" is essentially that some people have published opinion pieces saying it's too hard. How long do you want to keep the entire world shut down to protect people at risk?

• Upvote 1

Bit of good news on a drug which could POTENTIALLY save lives of COVID patients.  Man, would this be awesome if it proves out large scale.

Scientists hail dexamethasone as ‘major breakthrough’ in treating coronavirus

Dexamethasone, a cheap and widely used steroid, has become the first drug shown to be able to save lives among Covid-19 patients in what scientists hailed as a “major breakthrough”.

Results of trials announced on Tuesday showed dexamethasone, which is used to reduce inflammation in other diseases, reduced death rates by around a third among the most severely ill Covid-19 patients admitted to hospital.

The results suggest the drug should immediately become standard care in patients with severe cases of the pandemic disease, said the researchers who led the trials.

“This is a result that shows that if patients who have Covid-19 and are on ventilators or are on oxygen are given dexamethasone, it will save lives, and it will do so at a remarkably low cost,” said Martin Landray, an Oxford University professor co-leading the trial, known as the RECOVERY trial.

“It’s going to be very hard for any drug really to replace this, given that for less than 50 pounds ($63.26), you can treat eight patients and save a life,” he told reporters in an online briefing.

His co-lead investigator, Peter Horby, said dexamethasone was “the only drug that’s so far shown to reduce mortality - and it reduces it significantly.”

“It is a major breakthrough,” he said. “Dexamethasone is inexpensive, on the shelf, and can be used immediately to save lives worldwide.”

There are currently no approved treatments or vaccines for Covid-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus which has killed more than 431,000 globally.

Saving ‘countless lives’

The RECOVERY trial compared outcomes of around 2,100 patients who were randomly assigned to get the steroid, with those of around 4,300 patients who did not get it.

The results suggest that one death would be prevented by treatment with dexamethasone among every eight ventilated Covid-19 patients, Landray said, and one death would be prevented among every 25 Covid-19 patients that received the drug and are on oxygen.

Among patients with Covid-19 who did not require respiratory support, there was no benefit from treatment with dexamethasone.

“The survival benefit is clear and large in those patients who are sick enough to require oxygen treatment, so dexamethasone should now become standard of care in these patients,” Horby said.

Nick Cammack, a expert on Covid-19 at the Wellcome Trust global health charity, said the findings would “transform the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on lives and economies across the world”.

“Countless lives will be saved globally,” he said in a statement responding to the results.

The RECOVERY trial was launched in April as a randomised clinical trial to test a range of potential treatments for Covid-19, including low-dose dexamethasone and the malaria drug hydoxycholoroquine.

The hydroxychloroquine arm was halted earlier this month after Horby and Landray said results showed it was “useless” at treating Covid-19 patients.

Global cases of infection with the novel coronavirus have reached over 8 million, according to a Reuters tally, and more than 434,000 people have died after contracting the virus, the first case if which was reported in China in early January.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/16/steroid-dexamethasone-reduces-deaths-from-severe-covid-19-trial.html

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

your "evidence" is essentially that some people have published opinion pieces saying it's too hard. How long do you want to keep the entire world shut down to protect people at risk?

Read my post above this one.  No, I don't support shutting everything down.  I support careful re-opening and continued mitigation.  You prefer herd immunity and isolation of a large segment of the population.  Not a good idea; won't work.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet everyone can agree you mitigate that risk by looking both ways and crossing only when the "walk" sign is lit.  

No one is saying we need to shut everything down again.  We're only saying that re-opening can't just be a free-for-all, where people seek to go back to the "way things were before".   

Everyone has a responsibility.  And those comparing risks and saying "everyone dies" are merely exposing a lack  of compassion.  Elderly people are people too.  Just like the employed, unemployed and business owners are people too.  

I know you posted links, but I don't feel any of them came close to explaining how someone wearing a mask and gloves at all times can still be infected by someone who isn't.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I simply believe if those who need to practice extra precautions do, this won't get out of hand like so many fear it will.

When people hear elite human specimens like NFL players ""test positive", and that leads them to believe "there's no way we can have a season", I think emotions are overtaking logic.

But what do I know, I'm a Jets fan  . . .

4 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

I know you posted links, but I don't feel any of them came close to explaining how someone wearing a mask and gloves at all times can still be infected by someone who isn't.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I simply believe if those who need to practice extra precautions do, this won't get out of hand like so many fear it will.

When people hear elite human specimens like NFL players ""test positive", and that leads them to believe "there's no way we can have a season", I think emotions are overtaking logic.

But what do I know, I'm a Jets fan  . . .

I think the "consensus" number to hit is something like 50 %.  If 50 % of people are wearing masks, particularly when they're in a public indoor location, we can starve this thing out.  I don't know about you, but I don't see anywhere close to 50 % of people in masks in public places.  But then again I'm in North Carolina, not New York or New Jersey.

And I agree that I think there can, and will, be football this season.  There's just a LOT of logistics that need to be sorted out for players to have any level of comfort with it and to keep fans somewhat safe.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think the "consensus" number to hit is something like 50 %.  If 50 % of people are wearing masks, particularly when they're in a public indoor location, we can starve this thing out.  I don't know about you, but I don't see anywhere close to 50 % of people in masks in public places.  But then again I'm in North Carolina, not New York or New Jersey.

And I agree that I think there can, and will, be football this season.  There's just a LOT of logistics that need to be sorted out for players to have any level of comfort with it and to keep fans somewhat safe.

I live in NJ and I've only seen people wearing masks in a store and they generally have to be reminded by a staff member. Two old people came into a doctors office this past Friday and neither was wearing a mask. There are graduation parties everywhere and no masks to be seen. Yet the numbers are such that the state is opening up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Haha. I work right across the kennebec river from Colby in Winslow.

I am legitimately jealous of anyone who lives/works in Maine 

I work across from the Schuylkill river which home to many weird fish like creatures

it is also the depository for all the unsolved crimes in Philadelphia 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

most places in NYS that I've been to require a mask. Some do not. outdoor bar/restaurant seating was a bit of a change from that norm. It was weird at first to see a group of people together with no masks. But - I mean, they're eating and drinking so what can you do. I typically wear my mask like a hat.

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I am legitimately jealous of anyone who lives/works in Maine 

I work across from the Schuylkill river which home to many weird fish like creatures

it is also the depository for all the unsolved crimes in Philadelphia 

It's alot more fun here in the winter IMO. I love driving in the snow and ice, it's a challenge to arrive where I'm going intact. LOL Drifting every corner and doing donuts in parking lots is a blast.

Plus I have snowmobiles too....

2 hours ago, JetsFanShawn said:

now since the player Saw that now it mad realy wrose the what it really is when this corna crap happened back in april

I’m just going to give up trying to break the code Shawn has been using since he’s started posting here.

I just can’t do it.

The guy is a diabolical genius.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, talisaynon said:

C19-6-14.png?width=579&height=573

This is why Germany and Italy is open and we are not. And the reason we won't have football in September.

Thank you Americans. 

I want to protest bringing back football so bad

And New Zealand has 0 coronavirus cases currently 

Gee I wonder what America’s problem is?

Just now, Philc1 said:

And New Zealand has 0 coronavirus cases currently 

Gee I wonder what America’s problem is?

Nope they're not at 0. They had 2 Brits come in that were infected, but they were there to see their dying dad so they weren't forced to quarantine.

• Upvote 1