Which Jets receiver will have a breakout year

Just now, K Clue said:

I’m hoping Perriman has a breakout year, but I can see Crowder being the one with breakout year since he already has a pretty good connection with Darnold.

Yeah I purposely didn’t include Crowder cause we know he’s the slot guy who will catch his 80-100 passes 

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah I purposely didn’t include Crowder cause we know he’s the slot guy who will catch his 80-100 passes 

Yeah, that’s very true. I ended up editing my post because I saw you list some players, so like I said I could see Perriman or Vyncint Smith having a breakout year, especially since Smith showed some growth towards the end of the season with Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

If I had to guess out of these players then I'm going with the most talented one.  Mims

I agree, Mims seems to have everything it takes to be a true #1 sans the experience. 

Tall, fast, challenges opposition for the ball.

Catches balls that seem uncatchable.

All according to videos that I have seen, I have never watched a full game of his.

He also appears to have a chip on his shoulder. 

• Upvote 2

I think several things happen:

1. Perriman shows the end of last year was not a fluke and establishes himself as at least a midrange #1

2. Mims proves to be Top 3 of all rookie receivers and a future #1

3. Smith develops into a solid #2 type receiver

4. Barrios continues to develop as a receiver.

Call me a gotham green glass homer, but I think this years receiving corps is so much better than last years it is not close. As long as our OL can sustain a pass block we will surprise at WR.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Call me a gotham green glass homer, but I think this years receiving corps is so much better than last years it is not close. As long as our OL can sustain a pass block we will surprise at WR.

We only added Mims and you can make a case we didn’t upgrade from Robby to Perriman.

Here’s how bad a list of WRs this is.

Mims hasn’t played a down in the NFL, and if opposing defenses even bother to double team anyone, he’ll be the guy from day one.

Perriman isn’t as good as Robby, you guys are going to turn on him real fast. Berries and Smith? LMFAO

Best hope the TEs, Crowder and Bell have big years, and Mims hits the ground running.

Perriman has the highest probability in my view. His NFL experience puts him ahead of Mims. 

I think Mims has longer term potential though. If he breaks out as a rookie, consider that lucky. Doesn’t happen very often. Baylor’s offense isn’t exactly NFL transitional. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

We only added Mims and you can make a case we didn’t upgrade from Robby to Perriman.

All speculation but I think Mims is going to be a beast in the NFL 

I like Robbie but was never a huge fan. I think Perriman will be a solid upgrade over Robbie. I actually think Vyncint can become at least as good as Robbie was as well

• Upvote 2

This all depends on how Perriman works out. If he is the guy who showed up to the last 5 weeks of the season, and he draws the attention of CB1s, then my answer is Mims. 

I think Denzel’s best shot at some early success will come if he’s facing CB2s. 

Sam gets the ball out quick & is very accurate, Perriman has the most experience and proved he can post up & fight for the ball. 

Herndon & Crowder will get Perriman open. When Mims catches up, 6 games in these 4 along with Bell/Gore will be enough for Sam to do damage. Most teams with a high paid, high target #1 don't go very far in this league anymore. That's why the Texans traded Hopkins. 

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Which one of these guys will put up much bigger numbers than anyone projected? 

With this as the criteria, I'd say Vyncint Smith. 

Basically because Perriman and Mims, I think, are expected to be in the top four or five receiving for the Jets the Jets this year along with Crowder, Bell, and maybe one of the TEs. Berrios could wind up being the guy but, if he is, that would mean that Crowder missed a chunk of games. But Smith could get on the field as the #4 guy, and see extended action if Perriman of Mims miss any time. 

imo i think perriman will have the breakout year.  he has the most to gain since he will be able to sign for big bucks if he builds on what he did last season.  last season showed what he is capable of.  hopefully he maintains his confidence level.  i'm not seeing berrios do much.  he needs reps but he's not going to get on the field with crowder in the mix.  smith made some nice plays towards the end of last season and he too needs reps to get better.  hard to see it unless perriman doesn't do well in camp.  mims is a rookie.  he'll be tested.  i wouldn't exactly say he'll have a breakout year but as long as he emerges by mid season he'll be worth his draft choice.

14 hours ago, Big Snell said:

I can see a guy like Berrios developing a role in this offense. Not saying he'll break out and be a star,but I can see him becoming a pesty receiver that teams have a hard time defending. Kinda like a baby Welker.

I have my doubts about that. I can't  think of many players the Pats have cut loose at Berrios's stage that developed into solid anythings. He was a flyer and he probably  doesn't  make it out of camp unless he becomes a solid punt returner or gunner on ST 

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have my doubts about that. I can't  think of many players the Pats have cut loose at Berrios's stage that developed into solid anythings. He was a flyer and he probably  doesn't  make it out of camp unless he becomes a solid punt returner or gunner on ST 

He's already a solid punt returner and, right now, the backup slot. Outside of looking over his shoulder, possibly, at Jeff Smith, I think he has a role on the team this year. 

But I agree that he's probably not a breakout receiving candidate. 

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

Herndon. I think the Jets might play a lot more 2 TE sets, with him and Griffen. They both can present mismatches, and we won't have to rely as heavily on the inexperienced WR's.

I've said this before... I trust Gregg Williams to scheme around his lack of CBs, and put together a defense that takes advantage of his players' strengths and hides their weaknesses. I don't have similar faith in Gase on the offensive side of the ball. I'd really love to be wrong about that, because I'd also like to see more 12 and 21 personnel on the field, getting the TEs in on the action, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

He's already a solid punt returner and, right now, the backup slot. Outside of looking over his shoulder, possibly, at Jeff Smith, I think he has a role on the team this year. 

But I agree that he's probably not a breakout receiving candidate. 

I agree he can return punts but I wouldn't  say he is anything more than capable  at it.