Discuss Which Jets Owner/GM/HC Was Behind These QB Draft Choices

The Jets have made some interesting QB draft choices over the years.  Lets recap and see if we can zero in on who the real culprit/hero was.  The discussion should yield some nice info about past regimes and draft classes.   FYI... For this exercise, I will stick to first rounders, but include a few well know second rounders.  If you like, feel free to add any other QB draft choices that you find compelling...

1. Joe Namath. - Although the entire football word knew about Namath, the magnificent credit for this acquisition goes to Sonny Werblin.  The "Papa Jet" that knew all about entertainment and excitement.  55 years after he was selected by the Jets in the 1965 draft, Broadway Joe is still entertaining.

2. Matt Robinson -

3. Richard Todd -

4. Ken O'Brian (who was the power behind the O'Brien pick with all the Jets fans chanting for Marino ???)

5. Browning Nagel - This one was ALL Bruce Coslet.  My least favorite Jet HC of all time.  

6. Chad Pennington -

7. Mark Sanchez- (there has always been debate about who was the real push behind the Sanchez pick)

8. Tim Tebow - (I have always felt this was a Woody attention grab pick)

9. Geno Smith - (John "Egg Head" Idzik, perhaps ???)

10. Sam Darnold - Can Mr. Coffee be given any credit here or was this pick just a total no-brainer that was wanted by all the top brass  ???

11. Hackenberg - This pick was Mr. Coffee ALL THE WAY.  His mantra... Always take a QB.  And boy, he did, didn't he...

Pleas help fill in the blanks and add some info/comments..

24 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Maccagnan was trading up for Mayfield. All indications at that point were that Cleveland would take Darnold.

The Browns added Scott McCloughan to their front office who had said publicly, months before the draft, that Mayfield was head and shoulders above every other QB in the class.  I recall getting a call from a friend on draft day who say "Mayfield to the Browns is a total smoke screen" but I told him not to be so sure.  I thought Darnold would be the pick, but it would be foolish to rule out Mayfield.  

Everything the media was saying indicated it was Mayfield, but the facts told a different story.

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Maccagnan was trading up for Mayfield. All indications at that point were that Cleveland would take Darnold.

Even if the Jets expected Cleveland to take Sam, did  Mr. Coffee actually prefer Mayfield over Sam or was he just settling for Mayfield as the guy he had rated as the second best QB in the draft ???

Who did Mr Coffee actually have rated higher ??? Mayfield or Sam ???

• Upvote 1

i think walton was behind obrien over marino.  walton was too old school to tolerate marino's party reputation.  as for todd/robinson.  back then kensil was more of a front office type and i don't think he had the knowledge about draft picks.  chaddy was chosen by parcells.  i'm guessing tanny was the guy behind sanchez.  it's possible woody had some say since he is all about fannies in the seats.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The Jets have made some interesting QB draft choices over the years.  Lets recap and see if we can zero in on who the real culprit/hero was.  The discussion should yield some nice info about past regimes and draft classes.   FYI... For this exercise, I will stick to first rounders, but include a few well know second rounders.  If you like, feel free to add any other QB draft choices that you find compelling...

1. Joe Namath. - Although the entire football word knew about Namath, the magnificent credit for this acquisition goes to Sonny Werblin.  The "Papa Jet" that knew all about entertainment and excitement.  55 years after he was selected by the Jets in the 1965 draft, Broadway Joe is still entertaining.

2. Matt Robinson -

3. Richard Todd -

4. Ken O'Brian (who was the power behind the O'Brien pick with all the Jets fans chanting for Marino ???)

5. Browning Nagel - This one was ALL Bruce Coslet.  My least favorite Jet HC of all time.  

6. Chad Pennington -

7. Mark Sanchez- (there has always been debate about who was the real push behind the Sanchez pick)

8. Tim Tebow - (I have always felt this was a Woody attention grab pick)

9. Geno Smith - (John "Egg Head" Idzik, perhaps ???)

10. Sam Darnold - Can Mr. Coffee be given any credit here or was this pick just a total no-brainer that was wanted by all the top brass  ???

11. Hackenberg - This pick was Mr. Coffee ALL THE WAY.  His mantra... Always take a QB.  And boy, he did, didn't he...

Pleas help fill in the blanks and add some info/comments..

So... We have this below... I'm still not convinced who was really behind the Sanchez pick.  I think Woody pushed for it and Tanny pushed over.  No idea where Rex was.  I think he liked Russel Wilson...

2. Matt Robinson - Hess, Kensil and Michaels (more Michaels as Hess was a hands off money guy and Kensil was a non-football admin)

3. Richard Todd -  Hess, Kensil and Michaels (more Michaels as Hess was a hands off money guy and Kensil was a non-football admin)

4. Ken O'Brian - Joe Walton

6. Chad Pennington - The TUNA

7. Mark Sanchez- (still debate about who was the real power behind the Sanchez pick.  Probably Woody and then Tanny fell in line)

8. Tim Tebow - Woody

9. Geno Smith - John "Egg Head" Idzik, The Devil

10. Sam Darnold - An accidental gift to Mr. Coffee courtesy of the Browns front office

11. Hackenberg - This pick was Mr. Coffee ALL THE WAY.  His mantra... Always take a QB.  And boy, he did, didn't he... -

Any decenters ??? Interesting info to add ??? Please chime in...

19 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

11. Hackenberg - This pick was Mr. Coffee ALL THE WAY.  His mantra... Always take a QB.  And boy, he did, didn't he... -

What the **** does this even mean?  If that was his mantra and boy he did, didn't he..., wouldn't we be extending Mahomes or Watson now instead of arguing over whether to trade Adams?  It is, quite literally, his #1 failing in most of our eyes.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the **** does this even mean?  If that was his mantra and boy he did, didn't he..., wouldn't we be extending Mahomes or Watson now instead of arguing over whether to trade Adams?  It is, quite literally, his #1 failing in most of our eyes.

I think the point is that the only time he didn't draft a QB was the year he should have.

• Upvote 1

I will tell this story until I am blue in the face. Tim Tebow was Rex Ryan’s decision, 100%. Rex and Tanny were in an airport together when news broke that Tebow was on the market. Rex has a particular affinity for players that beat his D in the past, he always had. Rex starting telling Tanny that he felt they could use Tebow as a more dynamic Brad Smith in the wildcat with more of a threat to throw. Tanny was skeptical but Rex convinced him he could handle the drama. They both ran it up to Woody who was even more skeptical of the idea, but deferred since Rex and Tanny convinced him they’d handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

For me, McCagnan was worse than Idzik.  Idzik was not a personnel man.  He had a strategy to make cap room (he did) and then play a numbers game with the draft (and that didn't work out).  He only got 2 years.

McGangnan was hired because he was suppose to be a great talent evaluator and he was just as bad at drafting players as Idzik.  He failed at the one thing he was suppose to be good at ...

Idzik didn't have a plan to create cap room, he just executed Tannenbaum's plan, dumping the same contracts that Tanny would've. He succeeded at gutting the roster of talent, and replaced just about nothing. The only thing that makes Maccagnan worse was that Maccagnan lasted longer, thus having the opportunity to inflict that much more damage.

Mac had no vision in building a team. Every moved seemed to live in a vacuum. Joe D's spent this first year mostly plugging holes. He'll be continuing to do that for another year. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I'm pretty sure that he had Darnold and Mayfield as the top two guys, so he was definitely trading up with the hope/intention of picking one of them.

I suspect that Darnold was his top guy, but Mayfield was the target as most expected Cleveland to pick Darnold at the point the trade was executed.

Macc definitely got lucky. Imagine the Giants had picked Darnold, and the trade up ended up being for Josh Rosen. Yeuch.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

So... We have this below... I'm still not convinced who was really behind the Sanchez pick.  I think Woody pushed for it and Tanny pushed over.  No idea where Rex was.  I think he liked Russel Wilson...

2. Matt Robinson - Hess, Kensil and Michaels (more Michaels as Hess was a hands off money guy and Kensil was a non-football admin)

3. Richard Todd -  Hess, Kensil and Michaels (more Michaels as Hess was a hands off money guy and Kensil was a non-football admin)

4. Ken O'Brian - Joe Walton

6. Chad Pennington - The TUNA

7. Mark Sanchez- (still debate about who was the real power behind the Sanchez pick.  Probably Woody and then Tanny fell in line)

8. Tim Tebow - Woody

9. Geno Smith - John "Egg Head" Idzik, The Devil

10. Sam Darnold - An accidental gift to Mr. Coffee courtesy of the Browns front office

Any decenters ??? Interesting info to add ??? Please chime in...

Spot on.

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Browns added Scott McCloughan to their front office who had said publicly, months before the draft, that Mayfield was head and shoulders above every other QB in the class.  I recall getting a call from a friend on draft day who say "Mayfield to the Browns is a total smoke screen" but I told him not to be so sure.  I thought Darnold would be the pick, but it would be foolish to rule out Mayfield.  

Everything the media was saying indicated it was Mayfield, but the facts told a different story.

8 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Even if the Jets expected Cleveland to take Sam, did  Mr. Coffee actually prefer Mayfield over Sam or was he just settling for Mayfield as the guy he had rated as the second best QB in the draft ???

Who did Mr Coffee actually have rated higher ??? Mayfield or Sam ???

Regardless, Macc traded up to the # 3 spot in what appeared to be a 2-QB class.  Very risky.  

And of course we all know he didn't even negotiate that trade.  Heimerdinger knocked out the terms of the deal with Ballard over drinks.  Macc just signed off on it.  No chance he would have pulled that off on his own.  

We also know that Kirk Cousins was his "Plan A".  Macc offered more money to Kirk Cousins than any other NFL team.  But luckily, because of Macc's own ineptitude in roster building, Cousins opted to take less money with Minnesota.  

Macc sucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, y2k8 said:

For me, McCagnan was worse than Idzik.  Idzik was not a personnel man.  He had a strategy to make cap room (he did) and then play a numbers game with the draft (and that didn't work out).  He only got 2 years.

Without question, Idzik > Macc.  Not saying much, but its true.  The 2014 draft was awful, but he actually did a few nice things here in those 2 years.  The 2013 draft was solid, our best one from the 2008-2018 range, wherein Idzik added more talent of significance in 1 draft than Macc did over 5 drafts.  Richardson was a force for us for several years.  Geno Smith was the kind of shot you take on a QB in Rd 2 (not Hackenberg, who was a 5th round caliber prospect at best).  Winters gets a lot of hate here, but he's been a staple on the roster for 3 different regimes, and at least was an ATTEMPT to address the OL.  Aboushi is still bouncing around the league as a capable backup.  The Milliner pick was regrettable given his injury concerns entering the draft, but he at least was a very gifted player at a premium position.  

The Eric Decker signing was also pretty good.  I don't think we could have foreseen the injury issues he'd face.  He'd only missed 4 games over the previous 3 years with Denver prior to his arrival in New York.

Macc did almost nothing right here over 5 years.  Lucking into Darnold, the Jordan Jenkins pick, Avery Williamson....that's about it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, slats said:

Idzik didn't have a plan to create cap room, he just executed Tannenbaum's plan, dumping the same contracts that Tanny would've. He succeeded at gutting the roster of talent, and replaced just about nothing. The only thing that makes Maccagnan worse was that Maccagnan lasted longer, thus having the opportunity to inflict that much more damage.

Mac had no vision in building a team. Every moved seemed to live in a vacuum. Joe D's spent this first year mostly plugging holes. He'll be continuing to do that for another year. 

Neither Mac nor Idzik had any ability to evaluate talent

Tannenbaum LOVED to overpay players to extend them.  He was on ESPN radio today crying about the Cowboys not paying Prescott $45 million per year 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I will tell this story until I am blue in the face. Tim Tebow was Rex Ryan’s decision, 100%. Rex and Tanny were in an airport together when news broke that Tebow was on the market. Rex has a particular affinity for players that beat his D in the past, he always had. Rex starting telling Tanny that he felt they could use Tebow as a more dynamic Brad Smith in the wildcat with more of a threat to throw. Tanny was skeptical but Rex convinced him he could handle the drama. They both ran it up to Woody who was even more skeptical of the idea, but deferred since Rex and Tanny convinced him they’d handle it.

Nonsense

15 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Mayfield should have gone with the 2nd pick. Macc would have been stuck with a choice between Allen and Rosen. I can't thank the Browns and Gettleman enough for gifting Sam to the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

16 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Everyone thought Cleveland was taking Darnold until a couple of days before the draft. Then it leaked about Baker. I was praying they’d take Barkley at #1 and a QB #4, so the Jets could get Baker. The Browns broke my heart that night.

12 hours ago, Icer said:

Mac definitely wanted Mayfield. We traded up right after his pro day if I remember right

We were so close... freaking Dorsey!!!

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

As bad a drafter as Maccagnan was, he lucked into Darnold on the board at #3 and took it.  He has to get the credit for it, even if it was a layup.

Also, $%#^ Bruce Coslet for believing in Browning Nagle.

If he passed on Sam when he was - unbelievably - available at #3, I think Macc would have had to go into the witness protection program. Macc gets zero credit and that trade would have set the Jets back five years if he was stuck with a choice between Allen and Rosen.

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Regardless, Macc traded up to the # 3 spot in what appeared to be a 2-QB class.  Very risky.  

And of course we all know he didn't even negotiate that trade.  Heimerdinger knocked out the terms of the deal with Ballard over drinks.  Macc just signed off on it.  No chance he would have pulled that off on his own.  

We also know that Kirk Cousins was his "Plan A".  Macc offered more money to Kirk Cousins than any other NFL team.  But luckily, because of Macc's own ineptitude in roster building, Cousins opted to take less money with Minnesota.  

Macc sucks.

Thank you for the compelling tid-bits here.  I was not aware that Mr. Coffee was on the sideline holding on to his pecker while Heimerdinger and Ballard made it happen.   

It is still hard for me to fathom Ron Wolf and Charley Casserly both in agreement on recommending Mr. Coffee to Johnson as the right man for the job...

I've got this vision of both Wolf and Casserly pissing in their pants laughing just after Mr. Coffee signed his contract with the Jets...

Was it two guys having a pisser duping Woody ??? 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Wow...  Never knew/heard that.  For direct snap, I'd STILL prefer Brad Smith over Tebow by a mile. Smith the better passer by far.  Also WAY better running with the ball.  Smith also had really slick ball handling skills.  Tebow was an absolute dud.  I liked Brad Smith a lot... If this is True, Rex is truly a total bone head when it comes to offense...

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Wow...  Never knew/heard that.  For direct snap, I'd STILL prefer Brad Smith over Tebow by a mile. Smith the better passer by far.  Also WAY better running with the ball.  Smith also had really slick ball handling skills.  Tebow was an absolute dud.  I liked Brad Smith a lot... If this is True, Rex is truly a total bone head when it comes to offense...

It’s not true

If he knows anything about Woody, Tim Tebow was his hero