Jets Replace Head Trainer

Rich Cimini ⁦‪@RichCimini‬⁩

Mellody is well-respected and served under 4 head coaches, from Mangini to Gase. In 2019, the #Jets had a league-high 21 players on IR. Reached by phone, Mellody said, “I’m not going to comment.”

6/16/20, 5:31 PM

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Need more information before I judge this. The trainer does not help prevent injuries, he is there to treat them, so id need to research how the jets have been in terms of return to play from injury statistics compared to others in the league. 

Now yea mellody apparently is well respected in the league but older trainers can go two ways, either they are so good at their job they stick around and their experience plays into their practices, or they are too old school and do a poor job adapting to new technology and practices. I am not sure which camp he fell in. 

Hopefully some more information surfaces about this. 

• Upvote 1

Ugh, I saw the headline and thought I was going to be very happy with the move.  I am still glad they made a change, what they were doing was obviously not working, but to just promote the assistant?  Ehh, I don’t know, maybe he has some real ideas on change.  I am not in the room, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but that sure was underwhelming news.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Maybe they should try a women to be the head trainer.

Maybe Peyton Manning can once again provide us with a hiring recommendation there?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/13/peyton-manning-tennessee-sexual-assault-allegations-jamie-naughright

According to sworn testimony detailed in an article by Shaun King in Saturday’s New York Daily News, Peyton Manning “forcefully maneuvered his naked testicles and rectum directly” onto the face of Dr. Jamie Naughright, the University of Tennessee’s director of health and wellness, in 1996 and then “smirked” and “laughed” about it.

• Haha 3

Correlation isn’t causation. So who knows if the trainer had something to do with the high number of injuries

outliers happen. But removing the variable makes sense. 

also just because the assistant trainer is promoted doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his own ideas. It’ll be pretty obvious to him the jets want something different after this move

• Upvote 2

David J. Chao - ProFootballDoc

⁦‪@ProFootballDoc‬⁩

Easy to blame the messenger for injuries. The fact that the head ATC remains with team and his assistant was elevated indicates something good was happening in the training room last year.

6/16/20, 6:26 PM

People just want to complain.  Maybe Mellody's issue wasn't training techniques
maybe it was communication with injured players.  Remember the issues with Osemele
and Enunwa when they were disabled, there was a ton of "he said, she said" about
rehab

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

So to solve the problem with team injuries, the Jets replace the team trainer, hire his "long time" assistant and retain the removed trainer as a consultant.  Pretty much sounds like a Jet move.    

WTF are these idiots thinking?  Find someone else with another training philosophy.

It's because there were no ex-Raven trainers available.

Jets fans: “So many injuries! What’d you esssspeck when idiot BIG MAC drafts guys with injure history!”

Also Jets fans: “So many injure! But same old jets fire trainer and hire his parentice! STUPID!”

Can’t win.

John Mellody

The Jets didn’t lead the league in much last season, they were at the top of the league when it came to placing players on injured reserve. CJ Mosley, Chris Herndon, Quincy Enunwa, Avery Williamson, Trenton Cannon and Blake Cashman are some of the top names that were placed on I.R.  With the exception of Bless Austin who started on I.R. and ended the season with an impressive return, there wasn’t much to feel good about on the injury front.

Rich Cimini is reporting that the Jets are making long time head trainer John Mellody a consultant and have replaced him with his assistant Dave Zuffelato.

Mellody is well-respected and served under 4 head coaches, from Mangini to Gase. In 2019, the #Jets had a league-high 21 players on IR. Reached by phone, Mellody said, “I’m not going to comment.” https://t.co/HrDKNRBQVI

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) June 16, 2020

Cimini provides some more insight.

Two players, guard Kelechi Osemele and quarterback Luke Falk, filed injury grievances against the team. Both players were cut.

When the season ended, Gase said the team was planning to study the matter and examine possible causes. At the time, he said changes in the training department were “highly unlikely.” He appeared to suggest that it was bad luck more than anything, but he said he wanted the organization to investigate.

“We’re going to continue to take deeper dives and all that when we meet with the staff as far as, was it practice schedule? Training camp? Offseason? Is it something we’re doing during the season? We’re combing through everything because we can’t have this happen again,” Gase said.

To fill Zuffelato’s old position, the Jets hired Robert Daplyn, formerly of West Point.

The post Cimini: Jets Have Replaced Trainer John Mellody appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rjxGVPDiKRE

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

I had a buddy Joe Patten that was on the staff, then Rich Kotite took over and replaced the whole staff. He was a good guy and a major hook up with the Jets. Used to get in the training room sometimes and bs with the players. 

Just another thing that Kotite destroyed. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

John Mellody

The Jets didn’t lead the league in much last season, they were at the top of the league when it came to placing players on injured reserve. CJ Mosley, Chris Herndon, Quincy Enunwa, Avery Williamson, Trenton Cannon and Blake Cashman are some of the top names that were placed on I.R.  With the exception of Bless Austin who started on I.R. and ended the season with an impressive return, there wasn’t much to feel good about on the injury front.

Rich Cimini is reporting that the Jets are making long time head trainer John Mellody a consultant and have replaced him with his assistant Dave Zuffelato.

Mellody is well-respected and served under 4 head coaches, from Mangini to Gase. In 2019, the #Jets had a league-high 21 players on IR. Reached by phone, Mellody said, “I’m not going to comment.” https://t.co/HrDKNRBQVI

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) June 16, 2020

Cimini provides some more insight.

Two players, guard Kelechi Osemele and quarterback Luke Falk, filed injury grievances against the team. Both players were cut.

When the season ended, Gase said the team was planning to study the matter and examine possible causes. At the time, he said changes in the training department were “highly unlikely.” He appeared to suggest that it was bad luck more than anything, but he said he wanted the organization to investigate.

“We’re going to continue to take deeper dives and all that when we meet with the staff as far as, was it practice schedule? Training camp? Offseason? Is it something we’re doing during the season? We’re combing through everything because we can’t have this happen again,” Gase said.

To fill Zuffelato’s old position, the Jets hired Robert Daplyn, formerly of West Point.

The post Cimini: Jets Have Replaced Trainer John Mellody appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

rjxGVPDiKRE

Click here to read the full story...

I forgot about Falk's complaints, even though he sucked

injuries were a big part of the team last season.  in some cases they were actually good since they forced the team to play younger players.  there's always a chance this trainer just wasn't that good and then the team also had a string of bad luck.  either way, it seems pretty inconsequential.  the rest of the coaching staff remained.  that's a good thing.

Seriously though, even if Mellody was found to be responsible for all of last season's injury issues, that on its own says little-to-nothing about how much that does or doesn't translate to Zuffelato or how he'd handle things.  I'm sure we can all attest to the fact that bosses and employees are far from guaranteed to have the same way of doing things.  Of course, that doesn't make this anything to be excited about, but hardly worth being too upset over either.

16 hours ago, munchmemory said:

So to solve the problem with team injuries, the Jets replace the team trainer, hire his "long time" assistant and retain the removed trainer as a consultant.  Pretty much sounds like a Jet move.    

WTF are these idiots thinking?  Find someone else with another training philosophy.

This is like removing Obama/Trump and putting Biden/Pence in as President.....but then letting Obama/Trump be the press secretary and do all the talking to the public.

The Jets essentially turned the Head Trainer into the Head Trainer’s puppet master.

• Haha 1