The Case For Dowell Loggains

5 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Gase is the OC, not exactly sure what Loggains does. Maybe he helps break down film and scouts upcoming games.

Gase is the head coach. Loggains is the offensive coordinator.  They have business cards and everything. 

SAR I

• Haha 3

The most valuable service an OC can provide for the HC is being an excuse and sacrificial lamb when the offense doesn’t meet expectations and someone needs to be axed to save the HC’s job.  But with the Jets, it could be different.....Knowing how the Jets just handled things with their trainer I’d also put a high probability on the Jets relieving Gase of his duties, elevating Loggains to HC but keeping Gase as a “consultant” who only implements the scheme, designs the plays, and does the play calling.

• Haha 1

The Jets are basically set up with two head coaches.  The Johnsons made sure there was a backup so they can fire Gase mid-season.  They could not fire Bowles because there was literally no one on the staff remotely qualified to be even an Interim HC.

Gase runs the offense and Loggains is a place holder OC.  If the offense putters this season, he is replaced and plays the fall guy.  He is cheaper to fire than Gase.  

And yes, Jim Bob Cooter is lurking in the shadows here.   He steps in as OC for a minor raise so the Johnsons don't have to pay someone off the street to replace Loggains.  It's genius, actually.  

Then next year Gase and the entire staff gets canned with relatively little contract breach costs.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

total mystery to me why this guy is so underutilized? 

nr5phdwve8tmpevrfhco.png

The mystery to me is who the hell is this guy, like he's some instantly-recognizable celebrity? Am I supposed to just recognize everyone wearing a golf shirt with a Jets logo? 

OK after looking up the list of Jets coaches, I see now. Apparently he was the mechanic on the Dukes of Hazard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

I think hiring Dowell is a testament to the success of the Jets' diversity program.  How many other teams have included a hobbit on their coaching staff?

I had thought for some reason that Loggains was a guy who played in HS like Gase.  He played for Arkansas and married a cheerleader.  The way he let himself go physically is actually remarkable.  

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Loggains is the OC in name only.  He does the "grunt work" during the week but
Gase comes up with the game plan and calls the play.  He's totally responsible for the offense

Confident and competent people in leadership positions surround themselves with strong people who can challenge them to be better.

Insecure people in leadership positions surround themselves with weaklings.

Its worrisome that Gase has NOBODY on his Offensive Staff that anyone would want to poach from us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Confident and competent people in leadership positions surround themselves with strong people who can challenge them to be better.

Insecure people in leadership positions surround themselves with weaklings.

Its worrisome that Gase has NOBODY on his Offensive Staff that anyone would want to poach from us. 

While I do agree with the initial statement and that Loggains is a good example of the point, Pollack(even after our 
OL sucked last year) and Cooter are very well respected coaches in the NFL. Jefferson is no slouch either.  I'll even add that both Frazier(OL) and Heinz Ward (WR) will both be position coaches at min in the NFL within a few years. 

There was a time when this very board was saying the same things about Anthony Lynn too. He's done well for himself. 

It's not as bad as it once was behind the coach. Loggains is just his ball boy and eats all the $hit sandwiches Gase lays on the table. Gase likes that I suppose. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The most valuable service an OC can provide for the HC is being an excuse and sacrificial lamb when the offense doesn’t meet expectations and someone needs to be axed to save the HC’s job.  But with the Jets, it could be different.....Knowing how the Jets just handled things with their trainer I’d also put a high probability on the Jets relieving Gase of his duties, elevating Loggains to HC but keeping Gase as a “consultant” who only implements the scheme, designs the plays, and does the play calling.

What a weird way to handle the trainer thing huh? 

I remember when KO came here last year he talked about how legit Mellody was. It's been said before that too. I'm not sure what the deal is with him and if maybe he Was just done or if they are firing him the nice way and naming him a consultant. 

There is precedent for the Jets to do that. Just look at our most recent President of Football operations. Neil Glatt "stepped down" and took an adviser role. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell ya.  

Seriously though... does anyone need a bridge? I have a guy. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'm going to be honest. I didn't know who this was. I blame Gase and Williams of we suck. Nobody else is getting tossed under my bus this year

I would agree. We have some coordinators that I like a lot. Jefferson, Pollack and Carter among them, but right. We will sink or swim upon the shoulders of Gase and Williams. The two HC's. 

Loggains is basically the guy who runs around and takes care of the bs work while gase sits on the bench writing up plays.