"I encourage a team to sign Colin Kaepernick" - Roger Goodell

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Colin Kaepernick hasn't picked up a football or hit a gym since 2016.  

He finished his career on a 4-21 collapse.

And you're fighting for him to be Mr. Please Hire Me As Your Backup?  LOLOLOLOL.

Look at Mark Sanchez instead.  He's in better shape.  His last 25 games he finished on a 10-15 run as a starter.  I'd say that makes him a better candidate.  You're fighting for the wrong guy.

SAR I

2 hours ago, JiF said:

That said, who knows if he Colin can still play.  I assume he's still better than 90% of the back ups in this league.  But, being out of the league this long and trying to make a comeback is going to be tough.  So if Roger really wanted to put his money where his mouth is and Colin doesnt get back on an NFL roster, be a man and hire him to guide Diversity and Inclusion for the league

Dont change the narrative homey

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What I pay in taxes every year for the last 35 years, believe me, I'm doing more than my fair share.

But since you're asking, if I were paid $43,000,000 for two years worth of work worthy of that amount I'd donate a ton of it to charity.  What's Colin given so far?  From what I read, it's around $1 million.  Big number for people like you and me; chump-change for an ex-NFL player.

SAR I

Kaepernick's net worth is listed as $20M.  So that $1M is a lot more than a drop in the bucket.  

And are you suggesting Kaepernick doesn't pay taxes too?  lol.  

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

by any measure he's better than Nathan Peterman still employed by LVR

this is America a man deserves to be able to pursue employment without being blackballed

i don't know that you can say that.  maybe if this was the first year after he was cut.  now, 4 years removed from playing, it's doubtful.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Cool stance. 

Mark is great, and I can demonstrate that because stats don't matter, team performance does. What a joke! 

Kaepernick got his team to the Super Bowl, and was a catalyst for that. Not like Sanchez, along for the AFCCG ride. 

Your revisionist history claims regarding his obvious black-balling is probably what's going to get this thread locked. I agree that he wasn't a great QB, and maybe a backup role would've been good for him. But he was a borderline starter when he was first out of the league, meaning that he was better than more than half the QBs in the league at the time. At least. Losing a starting job, sure. Even Sanchez managed a couple gigs after the Jets, and that guy sucked! Geno Smith is still working, too. 

You have no factual basis for this claim of yours. Not even any circumstantial evidence. 

Colin ended his career in San Francisco at 4-21.

If he ended his career in San Francisco 21-4, kneeling and all, do you really think he wouldn't have landed a second NFL job?

I'm not saying that some NFL owners didn't want to hire him because of the kneeling; I'm sure there were some owners who aren't fair and think backwards which is awful of course.  I'm saying that those owners who didn't care about the undercurrent and just wanted to win and didn't give him a look didn't because he was an expensive, bad quarterback. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dont change the narrative homey

Which narrative?

The one that says its 2020, he hasn't played in 3 years, he finished on a 4-21 collapse, and Colin Kaepernick isn't an NFL caliber quarterback anymore?

This was a good argument in 2017.  It's 2020.  We can talk about what happened back then if you like, but making the case that he even wants to play if given the opportunity is a stretch.  By all accounts he's done as a player-  by his own choosing based on last year's NFL tryout that he no-showed for.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

kaep has no real interest in actually playing football. His entire brand is being a martyr. The second he signs with a team he's no longer a martyr. 

Ravens we're about to sign him a few years ago and then he posted this picture.

Screenshot_20200617-102303.thumb.png.8cd4e0fb00ca1c5b48316a9867bfc778.png

This is self sabotage at its finest. If he had any real interest, he wouldn't be comparing his potential employer to being a slave owner. Which owner is going to sign him? None. Because he's Not worth the headache.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Sam Darnold goes down, Flacco isnt available, Fales (or whoever the 3rd string is) isnt available.  You have a call to make; its Luke Faulk or Colin Kaepernick, who's number do you dial? 

Did you forget we drafted a QB named Morgan in the 4th?

Darnold/Flacco/Morgan is perfectly fine.  No need for Kaepernick.  

And our owners are dedicated Republicans, they're not going to be the team that signs Kaep.  I am sure a more progressive/liberal aligned owner will at some point now toss out an offer, for league PR purposes if nothing else.

But if I had to guess, Kaep doesn't really want to play, he wants to remain famous.  The second he signs a deal to be a #2 QB, he's a non-entity.  As a disgruntled "blacklisted" guy, he's famous and rakes in $$$ from the likes of Nike.

No, he's not accepting any #2/#3 QB deals.  He'll demand a starter salary and job and $$$ or claim he's still blacklisted, so he can keep his mug in the media as a leader of the cause and his hefty advert $$$ rolling in. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

whoa, nobody said anything about the color of his skin but man is it beautiful when you all just come out and identify yourselves.  Rather than hiding behind your hood. 

This isn't a fair post Jif.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Colin ended his career in San Francisco at 4-21.

If he ended his career in San Francisco 21-4, kneeling and all, do you really think he wouldn't have landed a second NFL job?

I'm not saying that some NFL owners didn't want to hire him because of the kneeling; I'm sure there were some owners who aren't fair and think backwards which is awful of course.  I'm saying that those owners who didn't care about the undercurrent and just wanted to win and didn't give him a look didn't because he was an expensive, bad quarterback. 

SAR I

This is all fine and good, but using Mark Sanchez to make your point was silly.  Kaepernick had a better resume than Sanchez, AND Sanchez had been a QB3 for 4 consecutive franchises prior to his exit from the league.  He's not a QB2, and no NFL franchise wastes their time on an aging QB3, even if he only costs the veteran minimum.

If you think Kaepernick can't be a QB2, fine.  But Sanchez is most certainly NOT a QB2.  It's as simple as that.  No sentimental feelings about the playoff runs over a decade ago change that.

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith is proof-positive that the NFL doesn't blackball anyone based on behavior, beliefs, or skin color.  The NFL wants good players at all positions.  

Colin Kaepernick was half the quarterback Mark Sanchez was in his last 25 games; why you not crying for that ex-quarterback, you know, the one that was Geno's teammate?

SAR I

Dont change the narrative homey.  The NFL is on it knees begging for forgiveness. 

You want to have a ridiculously stupid mind numbing  Mark Sanchez vs. Colin Kaepernick debate, start your own thread. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Which narrative?

The one that says its 2020, he hasn't played in 3 years, he finished on a 4-21 collapse, and Colin Kaepernick isn't an NFL caliber quarterback anymore?

This was a good argument in 2017.  It's 2020.  We can talk about what happened back then if you like, but making the case that he even wants to play if given the opportunity is a stretch.  By all accounts he's done as a player-  by his own choosing based on last year's NFL tryout that he no-showed for.

SAR I

Colin was right, the NFL was wrong.  The NFL is asking for forgiveness.  Roger Goodell is on his knees.  It's beautiful. 

Just now, JiF said:

Dont change the narrative homey.  The NFL is on it knees begging for forgiveness. 

You want to have a ridiculously stupid mind numbing  Mark Sanchez vs. Colin Kaepernick debate, start your own thread. 

The NFL is being forced to beg for forgiveness which in it's own right is quite disturbing in my pov.

• Upvote 3

Didn’t Kap have that open tryout or workout or something that NFL coaches and GMs watched either in-person or on video?  I’m sure there’s a decent idea of where he stands in terms of ability to play, skill level, etc.

I’d hazard a guess that he’s a suitable/average backup based on experience alone.  The political dimension to this and his “fit” in terms of team culture, etc. is a whole other conversation.  But from a football standpoint he seems pretty employable.  If the guy who beat him in the Super Bowl (Flacco) can find a job as a backup despite his age and injury situation I’d think Kap could find a spot.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is all fine and good, but using Mark Sanchez to make your point was silly.  Kaepernick had a better resume than Sanchez, AND Sanchez had been a QB3 for 4 consecutive franchises prior to his exit from the league.  He's not a QB2, and no NFL franchise wastes their time on an aging QB3, even if he only costs the veteran minimum.

If you think Kaepernick can't be a QB2, fine.  But Sanchez is most certainly NOT a QB2.  It's as simple as that.  No sentimental feelings about the playoff runs over a decade ago change that.

Dont feed into it and let him ruin this.  Celebrate the NFL walking it back.  Colin won.  Today is his day.  This is not Sar's chance to derail the topic for his homoerotic man crush. 

And if Colin does get back into the league, that particular thread will be the greatest thread that has ever lived. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Your point is wrong.  Statistics don't matter as much as team performance does, some of Joe Namath's best season's he was a turnover machine and an enigma to his teammates, stats aren't the full story, its a smokescreen.

Even using this argument:  Kaepernick went to a Super Bowl.  Sanchez didn't.

Kaep > Sanchez in every way.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Goodell in 2016: “Collusion? Us? No way!”

Goodell, 2020: “I take it back. You guys can sign him now.”

And here I was just thinking you were trying to stir the pot with your "posts of the week" lol...

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Dont feed into it and let him ruin this.  Celebrate the NFL walking it back.  Colin won.  Today is his day.  This is not Sar's chance to derail the topic for his homoerotic man crush. 

And if Colin does get back into the league, that particular thread will be the greatest thread that has ever lived. 

My bad.  Got derailed.  I'm just sick of the sentimentality for Mark friggin Sanchez a decade later.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're not talking about Colin and Mark in their heyday.  We're not talking about them as playoff quarterbacks a decade ago.  Your argument is for Kaepernick today, now, as a 2020 backup, "he's surely good enough to be in the Top 64 QB's in the NFL" you said.

Therefore we look at the end of his career, the most recent information, to make a good decision.  The last 25 games sounds about right.

Kaepernick went 4-21.

Sanchez went 10-15.

It's far from silly to bring Mark Sanchez into the conversation.  Considering this is a Jets forum and you're a Jets fan lobbying for Colin Kaepernick to be a Jet, I believe it makes perfect sense.  Why aren't you standing up for Mark when he is actually a better candidate for a NYJ backup job?  Same age, same peak, same decline.  Why aren't you this passionate about the only QB to win playoff games in this town this century?

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

The NFL is being forced to beg for forgiveness which in it's own right is quite disturbing in my pov.

I dont care if it's forced or not, let them walk it back.  Goodell publicly admitting they were completely wrong is a beautiful thing and now endorsing a team signing the spokesperson of the movement!  It's delicious for those of us who had his back the entire time and I'm going to enjoy every bite. 

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We're not talking about Colin and Mark in their heyday.  We're not talking about them as playoff quarterbacks a decade ago.  Your argument is for Kaepernick today, now, as a 2020 backup, "he's surely good enough to be in the Top 64 QB's in the NFL" you said.

Therefore we look at the end of his career, the most recent information, to make a good decision.  The last 25 games sounds about right.

Kaepernick went 4-21.

Sanchez went 10-15.

It's far from silly to bring Mark Sanchez into the conversation.  Considering this is a Jets forum and you're a Jets fan lobbying for Colin Kaepernick to be a Jet, I believe it makes perfect sense.  Why aren't you standing up for Mark when he is actually a better candidate for a NYJ backup job?  Same age, same peak, same decline.  Why aren't you this passionate about the only QB to win playoff games in this town this century?

SAR I

Start your own thread, please and stop ruining this day of celebration for Colin Kaepernick. 

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

The NFL made an appropriate statement showing support for players and recognizing "the centuries of silence, inequality and oppression of black players, coaches, fans and staff".  I applaud them for this.  I agree with them on this.

Start a thread on that.  It's relevant in 2020.  Colin Kaepernick?  He doesn't want to play in the NFL nor is he good enough, so the NFL extending the branch or fans lobbying for it is too little too late.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Just a quick question... NFL players are pretty popular wouldn't you agree ?  Especially those who are QB's and have been in the national spotlight. So i guess my question would be, what would have been different if he took a band of his NFL players and peacefully protested his views in the streets of San Fran. Don't you think with his and the NFL popularity he would have gotten plenty of media coverage for his cause ?

I don't think this whole thing boils down to Colin winning the day.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Kaepernick went 4-21.

Sanchez went 10-15.

SAR I

At this moment, today, Mark Sanchez is not a top 64 QB in the league.  Nor was he a top 64 QB from 2016-18, proven by 4 consecutive teams treating him as a QB3, and then him promptly leaving the league.

Why am I not standing up for Mark?  Because he sucks and always sucked.  He was the # 1 reason we didn't win division titles or Super Bowls with those 2 loaded rosters.  He managed to lose a game despite his team rushing for 300+ yards.  He blows, dude.  I have zero sympathy for the guy after making all the money he did and after directly demonstrating to 5 other NFL franchises what we've known all along:  He sucks at football, and always sucked.

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Goodell in 2016: “Collusion? Us? No way!”

Goodell, 2020: “I take it back. You guys can sign him now.”

That does kinda sum it up and shed some light on the discussion.  If there was no collusion or encouragement by the League to NOT sign Kap then why would Goodell now need to give his blessing or encourage teams TO sign Kap?

This is the ole “A Few Good Men” line of reasoning by the Defense.  “If you give an order that Santiago isn’t to be touched and your men always follow that order then why was Santiago in danger?  Why would he need to be transferred off the base?”

If the League wasn’t either explicitly or tacitly encouraging teams to avoid signing Kap because of fear of lost revenue, some % of fans tuning out or boycotting games, etc. then why does Goodell now have to encourage them to sign him?

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

To be honest I apologize if that's not what you meant -- that's certainly how I took it.

Of course, you're also making assumptions about someone who has devoted the last 26 years of his life educating inner-city kids, but I know that doesn't fit in your convenient agenda, so we'll let that slide . . .

Sir, you quoted me talking about a peaceful protest and made it about race.  You.  Not me.  I never once said anything about race.  Colin was the creator and spokesperson of the movement for these players.  That's why he went down and not the rest of them but I dont need to explain that to you if you're an educator, do I?

I use "under the hood" often to describe "really seeing the inside of the matter" ie: you bring up race. In no way did it mean to imply KKK, sorry if that's what you thought I meant.

46 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't know that you can say that.  maybe if this was the first year after he was cut.  now, 4 years removed from playing, it's doubtful.

Ok dude

The aliens come down from on high, they've been watching NFL this whole time

they choose you to coach a team. 1 game, all the marbles 

i don't know, they like cut your head off if you lose. They are aliens. 

Your choice for this one game is Matt Barkley or Colin Kaepernick 

one game

all the marbles

Cmon.

• Thumb Down 1

In a universe where Dak Prescott is asking for 40 million per year you bet it makes sense for some team to sign Kaepernick if only for the reason maybe, just maybe that he might not have lost everything during his enforced "separation".

We would have been perfect until we signed Flacco,

If he wants to be the starting QB that might be tough at this point. Even if the league may be doing the right thing for the wrong reasons now it certainly beats doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons which is where we were at before.