"I encourage a team to sign Colin Kaepernick" - Roger Goodell

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dont feed into it and let him ruin this.  Celebrate the NFL walking it back.  Colin won.  Today is his day.  This is not Sar's chance to derail the topic for his homoerotic man crush. 

This has nothing to do with Mark Sanchez whatsoever, I could have used any other middling, old, no-good backup candidate.  How about Josh McCown?  Let's use him instead if you like.  Maybe Dan Orlovsky.  Perhaps Rya Nassib.

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

And if Colin does get back into the league, that particular thread will be the greatest thread that has ever lived. 

Maybe to you, but it doesn't matter to most people at all.  BLM is something we all care about and the NFL is taking some important steps with Godell's statement.  The exploits of a 32 year old quarterback who finished 4-21, hasn't played in 3 years, and didn't attend an NFL tryout specifically arranged for him last year?  Methinks you are wrong on that 'greatest thread ever' title.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

Start your own thread, please and stop ruining this day of celebration for Colin Kaepernick. 

Wait.  What?

This is a day of understanding between the NFL and its players.  It has very little to do with a single ex-player who isn't in the league and has made it clear he doesn't want to play anymore.  It's about how we, fans included, go forward as an NFL community.  I don't think it's anything to celebrate.  It's sad, actually, that it's come to this.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My view from the very start.

1. 100% supported his right to speak out and use his position as an NFL QB as a platform for public discourse.

2. Just didn't think on the field during games (i.e. at work) was the correct venue.  No one gets to protest at work while working, not just him.

Had he done as you suggest, been very active in his own time as much as he desired, and used his platform as an NFL QB to support his viewpoint, I'd have had nothing but support for his expression of his free speech rights in the public square.

But he wasn't in the public square.  He was at work, on the teams time and the fans time.  

To me it's akin to protest now.  I 100% support peaceful protest on the issue of race and policing.  I 100% do not support violence and rioting and looting and arson.  You can be right in the issue, and wrong on how you choose to try and address it.  That Kaep in my view.

r374636_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Agree completely.

And as a Jets fan, I'm proud of how our ownership and players handled it at the time.  Unified front, all players together, ownership together, making a statement together.  I hope they do this every game this season. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

He was injured several times.  He played badly.  He demanded a trade.  He was losing his starting job.  Then he did the kneeling.  

https://www.sbnation.com/a/colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-timeline

He doesn't want to play.  He wants to continue his public pouting and publicity stunt because it makes him money.  Smart move for a guy whose career burned out in 2016.

SAR I

“Pouting and publicity” implies he doesn’t really care about the issues. I think he does and I think he is vindicated. Just my take.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The NFL made an appropriate statement showing support for players and recognizing "the centuries of silence, inequality and oppression of black players, coaches, fans and staff".  I applaud them for this.  I agree with them on this.

Start a thread on that.  It's relevant in 2020.  Colin Kaepernick?  He doesn't want to play in the NFL nor is he good enough, so the NFL extending the branch or fans lobbying for it is too little too late.  

SAR I

That why I said Goodell should put his money where his mouth is and if a team doesnt sign him, he should hire him.   

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok dude

The aliens come down from on high, they've been watching NFL this whole time

they choose you to coach a team. 1 game, all the marbles 

i don't know, they like cut your head off if you lose. They are aliens. 

Your choice for this one game is Matt Barkley or Colin Kaepernick 

one game

all the marbles

Cmon.

Question - Do the aliens allow instant replay?  Do they have a Sky Judge in the mothership that can overturn any egregious errors during the game?

This goes into my calculus when thinking how I’d answer the question.

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This has nothing to do with Mark Sanchez whatsoever, I could have used any other middling, old, no-good backup candidate.  How about Josh McCown?  Let's use him instead if you like.  Maybe Dan Orlovsky.  Perhaps Rya Nassib.

Maybe to you, but it doesn't matter to most people at all.  BLM is something we all care about and the NFL is taking some important steps with Godell's statement.  The exploits of a 32 year old quarterback who finished 4-21, hasn't played in 3 years, and didn't attend an NFL tryout specifically arranged for him last year?  Methinks you are wrong on that 'greatest thread ever' title.

SAR I

Your examples are terrible.  None of them were 2 years removed leading his team to the Super Bowl.  Kaep was 100x better than all those dudes.

And yes, it does matter to me, that's why I started the thread.  If it doesnt matter to you, there are plenty of other threads for you to troll and derail. 

bye

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wait.  What?

This is a day of understanding between the NFL and its players.  It has very little to do with a single ex-player who isn't in the league and has made it clear he doesn't want to play anymore.  It's about how we, fans included, go forward as an NFL community.  I don't think it's anything to celebrate.  It's sad, actually, that it's come to this.  

SAR I

Stop telling me what my thread is about and what to feel.  Roger Goodell this week encouraged teams to sign Colin Kaepernick which is basically equivalent to him getting on his knees and begging the players for forgiveness after he already came out and admitted he got it wrong and I would like to celebrate this moment because it brings me joy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think there's one part of the math that teams have to consider.  You bring in Kaepernick, even as a clear back-up, and there will be media absolutely mandating that they let him compete to start.  The only teams probably mostly immune to that are KC, BAL, SEA and maybe HOU.  Do you really want to hear clips of Stephen A Smith calling the Jets front office racists for not letting him compete with Sam fairly to start?  Imagine a few weeks in when Sam has one bad game.  Is that good for the team?  Would it matter that they are the only team I can think of that has had two black HCs in the last 20 years?  Probably not.

This specific issue is NOT Kaepernick's fault.  But some bad actors in the media has not shown any restraint with projecting their agenda as absolute fact with no debate allowed.  I cannot blame a team for wanting to avoid that.  Think Tebow x 1,000.  It's a distraction waiting to happen and in the eyes of some front offices, may not be worth the potential value he brings as a backup over many others.  If your starter goes down and you find yourself starting Luke Falk level talent in a season where you have a chance, you might find it worth the risk.  But stashing him on the bench sounds like an invitation for a lot of potential problems.

See the source image

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would like to celebrate this moment because it brings me joy. 

Why does your celebration seem to rely on all of us agreeing with every word you post?  Why not just be happy no matter what anyone here says?

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Question - Do the aliens allow instant replay?  Do they have a Sky Judge in the mothership that can overturn any egregious errors during the game?

This goes into my calculus when thinking how I’d answer the question.

it's a regular NFL game except the losing head coach meets a public and gruesome end

So to answer your question the Aliens sky judges wouldn't overrule the ones in NYC 

• Thumb Down 1

59 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sir, you quoted me talking about a peaceful protest and made it about race.  You.  Not me.  I never once said anything about race.  Colin was the creator and spokesperson of the movement for these players.  That's why he went down and not the rest of them but I dont need to explain that to you if you're an educator, do I?

I use "under the hood" often to describe "really seeing the inside of the matter" ie: you bring up race. In no way did it mean to imply KKK, sorry if that's what you thought I meant.

Did it occur to you that I assumed the "race" angle because of your overwhelming number of posts on the subject, and not because I was trying to interject it into the discussion?  True, it was my fault for making that assumption, but you just as equally assumed I had a racist angle when I truly didn't.

As an educator, I try to teach my students to NOT always assume everything is "racist", because that's pretty much what they're being taught by many of my colleagues and it takes away from the true meaning/value of the word.  However, it looks like I fell into the same trap I warn them about, and for that I apologize . . .

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Did it occur to you that I assumed the "race" angle because of your overwhelming number of posts on the subject, and not because I was trying to interject it into the discussion?  True, it was my fault for making that assumption, but you just as equally assumed I had a racist angle when I truly didn't.

As an educator, I try to teach my students to NOT always assume everything is "racist", because that's pretty much what they're being taught by many of my colleagues and it takes away from the true meaning/value of the word.  However, it looks like I fell into the same trap I warn them about, and for that I apologize . . .

lmfao - so you assumed it was about race.  My god man. 

Kaep was a stud the year they went to the SB. He has a cannon for an arm and could run like a gazelle. His trajectory was sky high. His coach and most of his good players left, and he started to suck. People wanted to make it out that he was distracted but the only people that were distracted were the beer guzzling racists having the audacity to shout “hey that’s m’uh flag”. They were on the wrong side of history then and they are now. Just imagine if the country in 2016 just simply said “hey I see you’re kneeling, I see you have a lot of support from your community regarding the reasons you kneel, let’s talk and see how we can make it better so you feel proud to stand”.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

Just now, Snell41 said:

Kaep was a stud the year they went to the SB. He has a cannon for an arm and could run like a gazelle. His trajectory was sky high. His coach and most of his good players left, and he started to suck. People wanted to make it out that he was distracted but the only people that were distracted were the beer guzzling racists having the audacity to shout “hey that’s m’uh flag”. They were on the wrong side of history then and they are now. Just imagine if the country in 2016 just simply said “hey I see you’re kneeling, I see you have a lot of support from your community regarding the reasons you kneel, let’s talk and see how we can make it better so you feel proud to stand”.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Once Harbaugh left the 49ers Kaep devolved into a glorified Geno

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, JiF said:

Stop telling me what my thread is about and what to feel.  Roger Goodell this week encouraged teams to sign Colin Kaepernick which is basically equivalent to him getting on his knees and begging the players for forgiveness after he already came out and admitted he got it wrong and I would like to celebrate this moment because it brings me joy. 

Only team that might sign Kaepernick is the Seahawks 

At this point, let him play. Expect coming off 2 seasons of a collective 3-16 football in games he started over 3 seasons ago, it won't be pretty. But even if he's great, what ever. Enough. 

While you're at it, go back to having the anthem played before the teams come out. or even not at all. Think it's appropriate to play it at civic events. But how it got ingrained in sporting events, I don't know or recall. The flyovers have always been a bit much. Doesn't honor anyone's service. It's 30 seconds of cheap grace patriotism. 

Having closed 1 thread for supposed politics, yesterday,  that's it from me. Many of us recall that there are reasons this board does not allow politics. And even while I disagree with that decision yesterday, I have some very specific thoughts about the ongoing situation. I am not sharing them here. I understand my opinions are not everyone's. This is a better place without it,and there are other sites you can go to to argue about such things. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

.....the NFL is on their knees

Roger Goodell on his knees......

4 hours ago, JiF said:

The NFL is on it's knees....

3 hours ago, JiF said:

The NFL is on their knees.....

2 hours ago, JiF said:

.....the NFL is on it's knees.....

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The NFL is on it knees.....

1 hour ago, JiF said:

......Roger Goodell is on his knees.....

1 hour ago, JiF said:

.....equivalent to him getting on his knees......

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

A lot of teams could use Kap. For example New England, there's many. But why not Seattle. Pete Carroll has gone out of his way to say good things about him. He said he inquired a few years ago about Kap and even spoke to Harbaugh about him (even though he doesn't like Jim H) and got a thumbs up. I mean Seattle isn't set at backup they just re-signed Geno. Come on Kap is a lot better than Geno. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you honestly think the NFL and the Owners now realize they were wrong, i have a bridge to sell you. They are merely pandering to the new reality. The old reality was that they would lose fans if they stood by Kap, now they realize they could lose players if they don't stand by Kap. 

It's all a $$ calculation, not a moral one. 

Yep, Their hypocrisy is on full display and they are stuck behind a rock and a hard place.  Ill be very curious to see what the fans who turned off the NFL last time they kneeled do this time.  And what will the NFL do if they tune them out again.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

kaep has no real interest in actually playing football. His entire brand is being a martyr. The second he signs with a team he's no longer a martyr. 

Ravens we're about to sign him a few years ago and then he posted this picture.

Screenshot_20200617-102303.thumb.png.8cd4e0fb00ca1c5b48316a9867bfc778.png

This is self sabotage at its finest. If he had any real interest, he wouldn't be comparing his potential employer to being a slave owner. Which owner is going to sign him? None. Because he's Not worth the headache.

Would note was about to be signed by the arguably one of the most most respected GMs in the NFL, who was himself a HOF Player and happens to be African-American. So Kaepernick  depicts the Ravens owner and it's most popular player in this way as they are about to sign him. How do you think the conversation between Steve Bisciotti and Ozzy Newsome went after that happened? 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

A lot of teams could use Kap. For example New England, there's many. But why not Seattle. Pete Carroll has gone out of his way to say good things about him. He said he inquired a few years ago about Kap and even spoke to Harbaugh about him (even though he doesn't like Jim H) and got a thumbs up. I mean Seattle isn't set at backup they just re-signed Geno. Come on Kap is a lot better than Geno. 

You're 100% right , Seattle is a perfect fit for him. Football wise and politically. 

9 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Thats how I took it.  What did you mean?  

Don't bother dude -- he's already made it clear we're playing "his game".

IOW, agree with him or accept the fact you're a racist . . .

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

It is in my scenario.   Do you want to play? 

I guess you could make it less fair but OK.  Is Kap going to play for the league minimum like Fales?  And run the scout team against the defense like a third string QB?  And be a good team mate that will support the starter and wont be disruptive on or off the field?  Can you guarantee that he wont push the behavior envelope for publicity again?

Will Chip Kelly pick Blaine Gabbert, Colin Kaepernick or Christian ...

A long long time ago the genesis for the kneeling for social injustice campaign got kick started over a mediocre quarterback losing his starting job to a mediocre quarterback, Blaine Gabbert. It took on a life of it's own. It became much bigger than a mediocre quarterback losing his job to a mediocre quarterback. It's enough to make one sit on a rock naked with their chin resting on one hand while in deep thought. 

8 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I guess you could make it less fair but OK.  Is Kap going to play for the league minimum like Fales?  And run the scout team against the defense like a third string QB?  And be a good team mate that will support the starter and wont be disruptive on or off the field?  Can you guarantee that he wont push the behavior envelope for publicity again?

All things the same.  And yes, Id assume since the NFL admitted they were wrong, are accepting protesting and endorsing teams to sign him, yeah, there wouldnt be any reason for him to do that since its pretty safe to assume that league wont turn his harmless peaceful protest into something it's not again.  He's already won.