Who is the best coach in franchise history, and why do you refuse to accept that its Rex?

funaz

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

When the team got older and when the league figured him out he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.  Then he got an extra 3 years because of the snake oil he was selling the media.

He's one of the worst coaches in team history.  Never has a rookie HC been given such a great team and a great head start and did absolutely nothing to improve it.

SAR I

I got so many angry emotions.

Mangini sucked, but he built that team and got screwed cause Favre "couldn't" sit with a torn bicep. I could tell from Mangini's face it wasn't his choice to keep his meaningless starting streak alive.

He finally had a winning roster and we handed it over to sh*t for brains. I can do an hour on Rex, but even that wasn't really his fault. Tanny was there to play with his abacus and let Mangini be the real GM. It's was our dumb as all ******* Hell owner who let Rex...... who's a toddler take over that position without an adult GM.

We still suck cause ownership. Mac lucked into Darnold making that trade before the draft. Then we let him be the GM for another disaster and spend 100 million in FA a week before firing him. Like the Darnold thing we tripped and fell into Joe Douglas.

We're still incompetent and the sh*t rolls down hill from the Johnsons

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Rex had a 2 year run built with Mangini's players. I think Rex is a good coach, but I have to put his success in perspective.

I always thought Herm built a solid program. Made the playoffs in 2001, 2002, and 2004. His teams underachieved but I would have liked to see him stay after the 2005 season and seen where things went. Although he wasn't very successful once he left for Kansas City. 

I liked Rex....good coach, terrible player evaluator.   Could never figure out how to fix/maintain the offense.   Couldn't adapt.   Herm was OK but too often coached scared.  I am going with Weeb and Walt Michaels as my top 2.   Too bad alchohol/politics got in Walt's way.   I really believe he would have brought another SB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i can live with that ranking but i might just move michaels ahead of parcells.  michaels really built a team that had fallen on much harder times than when parcells took it over.  yeah i get the part about parcells taking over from the 1-15 kotite but kotite was only two seasons. michaels followed holtz, two seasons of charlie winner and weeb's last season.  weeb's team was aging really fast and then the wfl poached many of the players so ithe jets were pretty run down when michaels took over.

You make an excellent argument. I kind of took Parcells total HC history in consideration but I’m a huge Michaels fan. Not only was he a quality HC he methodically took what could have been arguably the worst roster in the NFL, and without the benefit of free agency, built it into a championship quality team. To this day I’m convinced his firing, for non-football reasons,  was the turning point in Jets history.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Top 3

How I would rank them.  Weeb was a very good HC, not quite so good a GM. Parcells may be the best pure HC of the Jets but he left at a bad time. Walt Michaels did a terrific job as HC and football operations (he did not have a GM title but played a huge part in player selection). If Walt didn't get replaced when he did I believe the Jets history would be quite different. 

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

Yup. That's a wrap.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Oh right the guy who never won a playoff game and then failed with the Browns.. The QB he couldn't win with took the 1-15 Fins to the playoffs.. Yet you give Herm the credit for a team the Tuna built..:chas:

I still don’t get the love affair with Mangina

44 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

You make an excellent argument. I kind of took Parcells total HC history in consideration but I’m a huge Michaels fan. Not only was he a quality HC he methodically took what could have been arguably the worst roster in the NFL, and without the benefit of free agency, built it into a championship quality team. To this day I’m convinced his firing, for non-football reasons,  was the turning point in Jets history.

who knows.  maybe he would've pushed for marino in 83.  i don't get the sense he had the same issues with todd that walton had.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, heymangold said:

If we’re talking about the best coach that was here for their entire career, it’s parcells.  the jets have constantly had terrible coaching though.

Entire career? I would still place Weeb Ewbank as #1.  Weeb won more championships than Parcells -- 3 to 2.  And Weeb did it with 2 different teams (unlike BP who only did it with the Giants).  Weeb also arguably won the two most important championships in the history of professional football --- "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and SB III.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i can live with that ranking but i might just move michaels ahead of parcells.  michaels really built a team that had fallen on much harder times than when parcells took it over.  yeah i get the part about parcells taking over from the 1-15 kotite but kotite was only two seasons. michaels followed holtz, two seasons of charlie winner and weeb's last season.  weeb's team was aging really fast and then the wfl poached many of the players so ithe jets were pretty run down when michaels took over.

I'm a huge supporter of Walt Michaels. The talent he accumulated had many successful seasons after Walt was fired. I am convinced that if Walt held his liquor better on the flight back from Miami, his Jet teams would have won a SB.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

When the team got older and when the league figured him out he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.  Then he got an extra 3 years because of the snake oil he was selling the media.

He's one of the worst coaches in team history.  Never has a rookie HC been given such a great team and a great head start and did absolutely nothing to improve it.

SAR I

I don't always agree with you, but you're dead on here!!!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Rex had a 2 year run built with Mangini's players. I think Rex is a good coach, but I have to put his success in perspective.

I always thought Herm built a solid program. Made the playoffs in 2001, 2002, and 2004. His teams underachieved but I would have liked to see him stay after the 2005 season and seen where things went. Although he wasn't very successful once he left for Kansas City. 

Parcells won with Kotite’s players dammit

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

who knows.  maybe he would've pushed for marino in 83.  i don't get the sense he had the same issues with todd that walton had.

Funny you should say that. Back in 1983 I was listening to the Art Rust Jr show, he had on Hub Arkush from Pro Football Weekly he said that Walt Michaels wanted to draft Marino, but was meeting strong resistance from the Jets front office.  This interview occurred after Michaels was fired.

• Upvote 2

Ewbank...

I believe he won two NFL championships with the Colts. Then...representing the AFL...he won the Supe against his old team...the Colts...lol...and Don Shula.  Weeb is the the only HC to win championships in both leagues...before the AFL - NFL merger.  

Then I'd take Parcels.  Who inherited a 1-15 horror show from clueless Kotite.  And guided the team to 9-7 record.  Just missing the playoffs.  Then followed that with a 12-4 season that won the division.  But lost in the AFCCG.  The next year...Testaverde  blows out his Achilles in the opener.  And the Jets nose dived to a 1-7 start.  But finished 7-1 behind a make shift QB.  That was great coaching by Parcels...for holding the team together for that strong finish.

IMO...Rex comes in third.  He inherited a good team.  But did take the Jets to two consecutive AFCCGs.  Best two year stretch in team history.    

For me...Walt Michaels probably comes in fourth.  He played a key part in orchestrating the defensive game plans (along with Buddy Ryan) throughout the playoffs and the Supe III victory. As HC NYJ...he took Jets to the playoffs two years in a row.  The 2nd one ended in the infamous AFCCG "Mud Bowl".  Then got fired!  Who knows what Jets might have done...if Michaels coached that next season...instead of that pile of dung Walton.

"You play to win the game"...I have fifth.

9 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Agree, but I would put Walt Michaels above Parcells because he was just a bandaid, and could have stayed longer, but didn't. He did what he did at every stop, and while he was a great coach, never had any loyalty to any team, except for maybe the Gints...

Exactly! Screw Parcells - he did more harm than good to this organization. It's very possible if he told Peyton that he would pick him #1 in the draft he would have come to the NFL that year. Also, we would have had Bellicheat as a coach if he didn't piss him off and want to micromanage him. Imagine that - micro manage from the background the guy that became probably the greatest coach ever - as much as I hate to say it. So yeah, he cost us Peyton and Bellicheck. How's that for screwing a franchise.

• Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

happy bill murray GIF

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Arsis said:

I'd rate mangini above Rex. Would go back and keep him over Rex. Half his heat came from the sh*tty Jets beat writers who were mad Mangini wanted to run a professional locker room.

Agree completely... He might have been raw as a HC, but he could have learned on the job. He proved he had an eye for talent with the exception of Gholston. He left Rex with a great roster only for Rex to destroy.

• Upvote 1

I think you stole my answer right here. Mancini got so screwed because of Favre. Goes 9-7 and gets fired. Rex has the same record a year later and goes to AFC Championship.

And I loved Herm. The only two years Jets missed playoffs with him as coach were the two Pennington was hurt.
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I think you stole my answer right here. Mancini got so screwed because of Favre. Goes 9-7 and gets fired. Rex has the same record a year later and goes to AFC Championship.

And I loved Herm. The only two years Jets missed playoffs with him as coach were the two Pennington was hurt.

Mangini goes 9-7 in a Brady less year he lost one game and needed overtime to beat the Pats in the other.. BTW Mangini named his son after Favre..  Herm was left Vinny and Chad by the Tuna..

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/fanho-eric-mangini-named-son-after-brett-favre/1842692/

12 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Top 3

How I would rank them.  Weeb was a very good HC, not quite so good a GM. Parcells may be the best pure HC of the Jets but he left at a bad time. Walt Michaels did a terrific job as HC and football operations (he did not have a GM title but played a huge part in player selection). If Walt didn't get replaced when he did I believe the Jets history would be quite different. 

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

Good.

12 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Agree, but I would put Walt Michaels above Parcells because he was just a bandaid, and could have stayed longer, but didn't. He did what he did at every stop, and while he was a great coach, never had any loyalty to any team, except for maybe the Gints...

Better.

1.Walt Michaels

2.Weeb Ewbank

3.Rex Ryan

Best.

• Upvote 1

How about some appreciation for Walt Michaels ??? He built a tuff, no nonsense, blue collar  lunch pail team that would have gone to the Super Bowl if the AFC championship game was not played in a swamp.  Remember that defense ??? Gastineau, Lyons, Salaam. Mehl, Blinka. Buttle. Bobyy Jackson, Jerry Holmes. Ken Schroy, Darrol Ray.  Those names add up to the epitome of blue collar bad-ass that could only be assembled by a hard ass blue collar Pennsylvania man that can down whiskey like water and only smiles briefly when the work is done... 

Besides that mention. the most complete Jets coach was the Tuna.

The most fun was Rex.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Funny you should say that. Back in 1983 I was listening to the Art Rust Jr show, he had on Hub Arkush from Pro Football Weekly he said that Walt Michaels wanted to draft Marino, but was meeting strong resistance from the Jets front office.  This interview occurred after Michaels was fired.

This can't be accurate.  Michaels was fired in February of 1983, well before the 83 draft.  

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This can't be accurate.  Michaels was fired in February of 1983, well before the 83 draft.  

It is accurate. I absolutely remember the interview. Michaels was fired in February of 1983, after the Pro Bowl, I’m sure they were discussing possible draft preparations while he was still there. He had great input in personnel 

11 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Exactly! Screw Parcells - he did more harm than good to this organization. It's very possible if he told Peyton that he would pick him #1 in the draft he would have come to the NFL that year. Also, we would have had Bellicheat as a coach if he didn't piss him off and want to micromanage him. Imagine that - micro manage from the background the guy that became probably the greatest coach ever - as much as I hate to say it. So yeah, he cost us Peyton and Bellicheck. How's that for screwing a franchise.

Parcells told Peyton Manning and his dad to take a hike I’m too old school to promise you being the #1 pick AND THEN took a pass on Orlando Pace

Holy Cow that’s worse than passing on Marino for O’Brien

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Parcells told Peyton Manning and his dad to take a hike I’m too old school to promise you being the #1 pick AND THEN took a pass on Orlando Pace

Holy Cow that’s worse than passing on Marino for O’Brien

He also cost us Belichick which means he cost us Brady and a dynasty.

With that said he turned around our franchise so he deserves appreciation but the what ifs are awful to think about.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

1. Weeb

2. Rex

3. Parcells

4. Michael's

5. Herm

I don't understand how you can rate Rex higher than Michaels.  Michaels took over garbage and brought them to an AFC title game, Rex's teams basically got progressively worse.  

• Upvote 1