Who is the best coach in franchise history, and why do you refuse to accept that its Rex?

funaz

12 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Was Walt Michaels really fired after a drunken plane rant?  Just curious.  10-5. 6-3 when he was let go.  For the Jets that's actually the opposite record I would expect a head coach to have when they are let go.  Must have been a hell of an argument.

The true story has always been somewhat of a mystery to me.   I was a kid at the time, but what i have gathered overthe years, it was one hell of an argument, + overall alchohol issues (wasn't an isolated incident), overall paranoia, + a political undercurrent from Walton making a push to take over. 

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  Rex Ryan rode the coattails of Ozzie Newsome selecting players and Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan to the #1/#1 D and two AFCCGs with the Jets.

If those teams were so ******* good why couldn't Mangini win with them?  He had a HOF QB and he still sucked

Mangini’s pussified playcalling got Matt Cassell a payday

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ball sitting anywhere on the field, we need either a stop or a score I'm most confident with Parcells on the sideline.  

Cosely grouped behind Bill would be Walt and Mangini.

Thats just me.  

With Parcells I felt like we could beat any team.  Even when we went 9-7 and Neil O’Donnell was at qb I always felt like we had a shot no matter who we played

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

With Parcells I felt like we could beat any team.  Even when we went 9-7 and Neil O’Donnell was at qb I always felt like we had a shot no matter who we played

I never felt like the team would lose because of the HC.  Even if I didnt agree with a play, a call whatever, I felt like I understood the why behind it

• Upvote 1

Rex? Rex took over a disciplined team and was allowed to spend heavily to start his reign. They did good the first two years then sucked for the next 4. They sucked for the next four because Rex was a blow hard, that initially had a lot of talent, but as the Rex culture took hold the team slid and became undisciplined. The lack of coaching became apparent when the team needed to develop players but never really did. Then he went to Buffalo and that worked out great when he didn't have an established talent pool like he did with the Jets and the Ravens as their DC.  Rex did a good job getting by mostly on his family name.

I would go with Parcells as the best Coach since I actually watched him coach as opposed to Weeb. BP took a dog sh*t franchise and turned it around. He certainly made his mistakes, not telling Peyton he would be the #1 pick, but he put the Jets on a path that led to some success.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2020 at 1:33 PM, Randy Rasmussen said:

Leon Johnson was a great RB and special teamer. He never threw a pass before in College or the NFL so using him to throw an option pass into the end zone was a horrible decision.
Tuna was a big proponent of saying ya gotta dance with the girl who brung you.
Should’ve listened to his own advice

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Leon was recruited to North Carolina as a QB and while he didn't play QB he did throw a bunch of passes, his versatility was one of the reasons Parcells drafted him and he had attempted a pass earlier in that 1997 season.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, GKnight83 said:

I agree with...Ewbank and Parcells.  I would add Mangini.  Rex is a fraud.  He road the coat tails of Ozzie Newsome selecting players and Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan's defenses.

Mangini deserves it for 1 playoff app in 3 seasons, zero playoff wins.  Couldn't even make the playoffs with Brett Favre.

But rex was a fraud?

Jet fans ?

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So your ally on this one is nyjunc.  Yikes.

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not going through this again.  Just throw up the bat signal for @nyjunc  

Jetfan80 knows better than to get into a debate with me.  Even if we use the favre injury excuse he made his career playing through pain and he started 16 games so he gets evaluated on that.  He wasn't good when supposedly healthy outside of a few games. Anyone watching could see it but we have Jet fans that hate Chad and Sanchez and pump up favre because of it.

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Rex? Rex took over a disciplined team and was allowed to spend heavily to start his reign. They did good the first two years then sucked for the next 4. They sucked for the next four because Rex was a blow hard, that initially had a lot of talent, but as the Rex culture took hold the team slid and became undisciplined. The lack of coaching became apparent when the team needed to develop players but never really did. Then he went to Buffalo and that worked out great when he didn't have an established talent pool like he did with the Jets and the Ravens as their DC.  Rex did a good job getting by mostly on his family name.

I would go with Parcells as the best Coach since I actually watched him coach as opposed to Weeb. BP took a dog sh*t franchise and turned it around. He certainly made his mistakes, not telling Peyton he would be the #1 pick, but he put the Jets on a path that led to some success.

Check the spending under mangini.  Rex brought in Scott and leonhard his first year.  Not exactly a huge spending spree.  A year earlier the Jets brought in Woody, faneca, Jenkins, etc...

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Woody cost us Belichick 

Not that Belichick ever becomes Belichick without Brady falling in his lap

Belichick without Brady is Al Groh

Woody wasn't even the owner when BB quit.  Parcells cost us BB (and most importantly he probably cost us Brady because of it).  Parcells knew he was leaving after 1999, he wouldn't let BB know and BB made his own deal.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Check the spending under mangini.  Rex brought in Scott and leonhard his first year.  Not exactly a huge spending spree.  A year earlier the Jets brought in Woody, faneca, Jenkins, etc...

I was going to mention him as the guy who brought the discipline that Rex had to work with his first two years. I liked Mangini not sure if he tops BP though. Yeah, I remember having a good oline and the success it fostered. 

26 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I was going to mention him as the guy who brought the discipline that Rex had to work with his first two years. I liked Mangini not sure if he tops BP though. Yeah, I remember having a good oline and the success it fostered. 

Not sure if mangini tops BP? What????  People are losing their minds in quarantine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

The turnovers on offense and special teams didn't help.

Of course but the game changed on a blown play by the defense. We couldn't even take a breath after going up 10 points before they cut it to three. The bomb to McCaffrey was the turning point in the game

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Ball sitting anywhere on the field, we need either a stop or a score I'm most confident with Parcells on the sideline.  

Like in the playoffs in Denver.  When he just had to hold the lead for a half? 

Cosely grouped behind Bill would be Walt and Mangini.

Mangini was a ******* atrocity as a coach.  Even the idiots that still love him are only giving him credit for being good for the roster.  Nobody can defend his coaching.  

Thats just me.  

I would certainly hope so.  Welcome back! 

17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Woody wasn't even the owner when BB quit.  Parcells cost us BB (and most importantly he probably cost us Brady because of it).  Parcells knew he was leaving after 1999, he wouldn't let BB know and BB made his own deal.

Watch the Two Bills documentary on ESPN.  Belichick had a meeting with Woody who was in process of buying the team, said he had “issues” with him and the next day resigned 

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Watch the Two Bills documentary on ESPN.  Belichick had a meeting with Woody who was in process of buying the team, said he had “issues” with him and the next day resigned 

That's revisionist history now that Parcells and Belichick have made up.  If Parcells let him know his plans to step down he's our coach in 2000 with same staff in place he had in NE and we likely get Brady and a dynasty.

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Like in the playoffs in Denver.  When he just had to hold the lead for a half? 

Mangini was a ******* atrocity as a coach.  Even the idiots that still love him are only giving him credit for being good for the roster.  Nobody can defend his coaching.  

I would certainly hope so.  Welcome back! 

In that wind in Denver?   

This list being so damn light, thats the major problem with this team.  Parcells here for a check, Walt Michaels playing 1950s football and Mangini.  Then debate Rexs 2 year run.   

Slim pickings for sure.

Thanks man, great to be back.

On 6/19/2020 at 2:52 PM, nyjunc said:

Mangini deserves it for 1 playoff app in 3 seasons, zero playoff wins.  Couldn't even make the playoffs with Brett Favre.

But rex was a fraud?

Jet fans ?

They were going great until Favre got injured and woody wouldn't let Mangini bench him.

The Jets were ******* 8-3 before that injury. The Jets were heading in an excellent direction and made the afc championship game with the team he built.

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Arsis said:

They were going great until Favre got injured and woody wouldn't let Mangini bench him.

The Jets were ******* 8-3 before that injury. The Jets were heading in an excellent direction and made the afc championship game with the team he built.

It's as simple as this, yet Dom insists on the "blah blah weak schedule Mangini sucks regardless of what you say" argument.  It's a waste of time.  

No one is saying Mangini was a great coach.  Only that he seemed to have an idea of what he was doing and what he was building here.  Meanwhile people worship Rex Ryan undeservedly.  

17 minutes ago, Arsis said:

He was injured earlier in the season and had his ONLY good stretch of football after the injury.  They man made his entire career playing through pain.  These are all just excuses, favre was mediocre the first half of the year and bad the second half.

They were 8-3 with an incredibly easy schedule barely getting by some of the worst teams in the league.

Favre never wanted to be here, when things started to go south he packed it in.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's as simple as this, yet Dom insists on the "blah blah weak schedule Mangini sucks regardless of what you say" argument.  It's a waste of time.  

No one is saying Mangini was a great coach.  Only that he seemed to have an idea of what he was doing and what he was building here.  Meanwhile people worship Rex Ryan undeservedly.  

Yep, mangini with zero playoff wins was great and rex with the all time franchise record for playoff wins sucked.  Got it.

I didn't think Mangini deserved to be fired but looking back we got lucky he was, there's no way we make either AFC Championship Game with mangini

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

REX may be the most undisciplined coach I have seen.   

Baltimore passed on him, they knew.  he shat the bed in Buffalo and only really had one good year here...... speaking regular season.  He literally gave a concession speech in week 16 his first year not realizing the JETS were still in it that Sunday against CIN. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

REX may be the most undisciplined coach I have seen.   

Baltimore passed on him, they knew.  he shat the bed in Buffalo and only really had one good year here...... speaking regular season.  He literally gave a concession speech in week 16 his first year not realizing the JETS were still in it that Sunday against CIN. 

He didn't have a chance in Buffalo, he coached less than 2 years and the team was injury ravaged but they still kept us out of the playoffs.

In 2009 he said they were out of the playoffs after the Atlanta game in week 15, he pissed after a tough loss.  By that night everything knew they still had a chance if they won the last 2 and what happened? We won the last 2.

On 6/17/2020 at 7:25 AM, Kolchak said:

Rex's tenure was more eventful than successful.  Entertaining for a few amazing moments, strange moments and train wrecks.  Success is the true barometer.  That's why Weeb has to be the best.

Don't go by me, I'm jaded.  He told me I have ugly feet.

Rex's tenure was just weird. Everyone loves to say he was just winning with "Mangini's" players, but outside of "red, yellow, green" he was a good coach his first couple seasons. I remember before the start of the San Diego playoff game, Rex came out shook every single player's hand and offered encouragement. Norv was just aloof. That really impressed me. 

But Rex just completely regressed after those first two years. He got worse and worse until he was just completely ineffective. By then he had too much influence on player moves (keeping Santonio over Braylon was idiotic) and his famous 7th round picks, pushing defense in first round and he refused to adapt at all to the NFL on defense.

I dont think he was a players coach that lost his team, I just think he became a bad coach.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Arsis said:

Mangini’s playcalling during the 2008 season was horrendous.  He literally tried a quarters preven to “stop” Matt Cassell in a 2 minute drill

And if he was such a good coach he would have benched Favre after he was obviously injured

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He didn't have a chance in Buffalo, he coached less than 2 years and the team was injury ravaged but they still kept us out of the playoffs.

In 2009 he said they were out of the playoffs after the Atlanta game in week 15, he pissed after a tough loss.  By that night everything knew they still had a chance if they won the last 2 and what happened? We won the last 2.

Rex did a mediocre job in buffalo but people here act like he went 1-32