What are the Jets worst re-signings?

NYJ1

Think back and provide your top 3 list of players drafted by the Jets that should never have been resigned? I'll start:

3) In fairness, Muhammad Wilkerson is the least egregious resigning. He was very close to the franchise player for the Jets for about 3 years. He showed all the signs of being a guy that the Jets needed to retain. He even played good soldier when John Idzik and Mike Macagnan balked at resigning him for what seemed like ridiculous money. He kept his mouth and continued to play his heart out. Eventually, he got his money and he instantly became the Hot pink paper weight. He was completely useless and it almost immediately became evident that the Jets needed to cut him. Does anyone really know what happened to him? How did he call off a cliff or was he just simply lazy?

2) Kerry Rhodes - Affectionately known as "Sherry". Kerry Rhodes was actually a genius draft choice by Mike Tannenbaum. Possibly the very best he ever made given that Rhodes was selected in the 4th round. The Jets took a chance on converted college QB Rhodes. Well, the fact is Kerry Rhodes was pretty much electrifying and had early numbers comparable to the very best Safeties in the game from 2005 through about 2007. After he got the money he felt he was worth, he suddenly became a pussy. Inexplicably, he was suddenly afraid of contact, his numbers went way down, and he was more interested in being an actor than playing football. Well, new HC Rex Ryan quickly got tired of Rhodes lazy attitude, lack of work ethic, etc. About half way through the 2009 season Rex Ryan benched Rhodes. A prime example in my personal opinion of a player who should NEVER have been paid any money up front. Part of me thinks if he didn't get a fat signing bonus and guaranteed money Kerry may never have become Sherry? If he was forced to work for the value of that contract the Jets would have gotten their money's worth?

1) Mark Sanchez - Honestly, this should NEVER have happened. Clear and obvious evidence that Tannenbaum needed to be terminated. Sanchez was hot garbage from the day he was drafted and he just never got better. In years 3 and 4 Sanchez was still making the dumb mistakes he made his rookie season. The very second the training wheels were taken off Sanchez he became a turnover machine. He just had no idea what he was doing. Beyond any reasonable belief Tannenbaum (and probably Rex had something to do with it as well?), resigned Sanchez. Apparently, the narrative was by resigning him early for more money they were getting Sanchez at a discount for the player HE WAS BECOMING? Yeah, there was a generally accepted theory during that time that said that Sanchez was truly becoming the "Sanchize". For me, the insanity of that word surpasses that of the phrase "Defund the police".

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

revis needs to be on the list too.  granted it wasn't a re-signing but they gave him a fortune when he came back and really didn't earn much of it.

Not my money, it was worth it to have the greatest player in franchise history retire a  JET

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm thinking Quincy Enunwa has to be on this list.

Agreed. It is unfathomable to me, given his injury history, that we would guarantee his contract for injury.  Don't know what Macc ws thinking on this one.

• Upvote 2

Ryan Fitzpatrick was pretty bad. We refused to cave to his demands after his great year, on the basis that his great years were always followed by down years.

Then we eventually caved to his demands anyway, after months of wrangling. Gave him $12M (I think) for a year which was, of course, then a down year.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was pretty bad. We refused to cave to his demands after his great year, on the basis that his great years were always followed by down years.

Then we eventually caved to his demands anyway, after months of wrangling. Gave him $12M (I think) for a year which was, of course, then a down year.

The Fitz deal could’ve been much worse. The Jets wanted to give him a 3 year extension according to the reports, but they couldn’t agree on terms and he settled on a 1 year deal. 

Fitz looked really good that year before. Remember Fitzmagic, and all the funny beard shirts? We dodged a bullet on that one. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

revis needs to be on the list too.  granted it wasn't a re-signing but they gave him a fortune when he came back and really didn't earn much of it.

Revis fell off a cliff after a great career. Too see a guy with all that talent become that bad, that quickly was shocking. 

• Upvote 1

For sheer stupidity, I'd go for Enunwa's as the worst. Guy had serious back/neck issues and a very physical style of play. Then they give him all kids of injury guarantees?

Didn't Wilkerson get his extension shortly after breaking his leg? While that wasn't the main reason why the second contract was so bad, the Jets should consider not handing out big contracts to guys either injured or with a history of...

• Upvote 2

Wilkerson made sense at the time, can’t really blame the GM on that one. He was a productive player for them, then just completely said eff this after he got paid. Revis 2.0 you can’t really blame the GM either. He was fresh off a superbowl win playing at an elite level with the Pats. The Sanchez one is definitely the most mind boggling move Tannebaum made. He was clearly not a good player and to give him that money was a joke 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Revis was good for one season at least

Mo literally checked out as soon as he signed the dumb $90 million extension 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wilkerson made sense at the time, can’t really blame the GM on that one. He was a productive player for them, then just completely said eff this after he got paid. Revis 2.0 you can’t really blame the GM either. He was fresh off a superbowl win playing at an elite level with the Pats. The Sanchez one is definitely the most mind boggling move Tannebaum made. He was clearly not a good player and to give him that money was a joke 

I wanted to resign Snacks at half the price instead 

And now I want to extend Maye for cheap and trade Adams

Notice a pattern?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

For sheer stupidity, I'd go for Enunwa's as the worst. Guy had serious back/neck issues and a very physical style of play. Then they give him all kids of injury guarantees?

Didn't Wilkerson get his extension shortly after breaking his leg? While that wasn't the main reason why the second contract was so bad, the Jets should consider not handing out big contracts to guys either injured or with a history of...

Yes his previous season ended with a broken leg

#Macagnan

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

You can't blame the GM?  Strongly disagree.  The time to extend him was right before, or during, his 5th year option.  That is when you can get a discount.  Basically, Maccagnan had his entire rookie year to get it done.  He didn't.  Instead, he franchise tagged the player coming off a broken leg that meant that he was on the PUP list until August.  The guy actually gave him the huge deal before he was ready to play. While he was on the PUP list.  Oh, and by the way, there were plenty of reports that Wilkerson was late or missing practices before the new contract.  You can certainly blame Maccagnan and I do.  Who is with me? 

• Upvote 1

Wilkerson had one year of great production worthy of being given a fat deal but the warning signs were there before hand of him only producing for half a year at a time.  Mowilk just picked the best time to have his great year.

The enunwa thing was mind boggling not as much for the bad amount or term but for the whole injury guarantee thing.  Most people on here, even guys that liked enunwa knew we were getting taken to the woodshed on that part of the contract.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed. It is unfathomable to me, given his injury history, that we would guarantee his contract for injury.  Don't know what Macc ws thinking on this one.

Did anyone ever know what Mac was thinking?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Definitely the most egregious resigning IMO. Rather than being resigned, they should have cut him that offseason.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I wanted to resign Snacks at half the price instead 

And now I want to extend Maye for cheap and trade Adams

Notice a pattern?

Honestly,  I don't know that letting Snacks walk was such a bad thing? Granted, Steve McLendon is no Snacks, but he's turned out to be one hell of a player and had his very best PFF numbers at the ripe age of 33 last season. I love Mclendons attitude also. His great leadership gets minimized by Jets fans and it shouldn't be. He bleeds team. Excellent example for the young players to follow. 

1 hour ago, Rob Moore said:

Resigning Santonio Holmes deserves some consideration as a top resign blunder too.

Not just because of the signing itself but all the subsequent moves that came with it.  

Paying Tone meant letting Braylon Edwards walk while replacing him with Plaxico Burress and moving Cotchery out while replacing him with Derek Mason. 

Yeah, I forgot all about that clusterf*ck. ANY Jets front office person that was involved in driving Cotchery out the door should never, ever be allowed near a professional football organization again. Talk absolutely stupid mismanagement......

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

It came after a 12 sack season, didn't it?

He was a player before getting paid and becoming a slob.  

• Upvote 1

So there are a lot more bad contracts of course, and most of these have been mentioned, but since we're limiting ourselves to re-signings...

Extending Sanchez before the 2012 draft, after a humiliating close to the 2011 season that would only be one-upped by the following season's buttfumble. I know it comforts some to think of how wonderful he'd have been if only this or that, but the truth is at his age he should still be playing, and would be if anyone wanted him. Though even I'll admit I'd have taken him back in a pinch over watching Luke Falk starting multiple games. And yes this contract is that much worse because Russell Wilson was so gettable, and (allegedly) on then head scout Bradway's target list. Once Sanchez was extended (and trading for Tebow after that), the team was staying clear of any QBs, including this future HOFer.

Extending Santonio Holmes with $20MM guaranteed, because that ****-for-brains decided to structure the WR corps to have 3 of his top 4 WRs' contracts expire at the same time, and extend none of them ahead of a stalemate CBA negotiations, with really no upcoming WRs of note hitting FA (which ended up not being until well into the summer because of the lockout).

Mo Wilkerson. What makes it that much worse is Maccagnan turned down trading him, while franchise-tagged, to move up to #1 for a QB while the only ones on the roster were Geno and Petty; instead he kept Mo through the draft, took Darron Lee and Christian Hackenberg with his first 2 picks, then extended Mo in July (for what would become 2 years $37MM), then re-signed Fitz for $12MM, which then led to spending $16MM on Josh McCown after Fitz... these things don't exist in a bubble. There's a domino effect.

Extending Enunwa by injury-guaranteeing the most injury-prone player the team's had since Dee Milliner to the tune of $20MM. Only thing more ridiculous were some lapdogs here touting this as a smart move. Less than one quarter of play for $20MM. 

Re-signing FA Revis in 2015. He was pretty good that year, but ultimately the team paid Revis almost $40MM for that one good season, followed by one sucky season, before cutting him for good.

Chad Pennington 2004. Coming off a half-season where he got humiliated against the one team they had to get past, the Jets made Pennington the second-highest paid player in NFL history behind Peyton Manning (removing fluff years like McNair's $50MM season). 

Won't be a popular opinion because he's in the HOF, is such a fan favorite, and also because it pales in comparison to most of the above deals, but Curtis Martin's 2002 extension was dumb and we have the non-championships to prove it. He was already on the team, and in exchange for some temporary cap relief they extended him for $6MM/year back when the cap was barely above $70MM. Today's equivalent contract would be $17MM/year for a RB's 3rd contract. It took years after his career was over to get him off the books, as they had to artificially keep him on the roster and pay him like an active player just to extend out the cap hits (he got a restructured 4-year contract in 2006; nine months after his last NFL carry). It's not like this 2002 contract led to a championship or anything. All it did was lock him up through age 33 (with team options through age 36) so they could clear some temporary space from his prior gargantuan contract. The 2002 contract's temporary cap relief made room for the upcoming Pennington extension, which was adding insult to injury (no pun intended since we're talking about the egg here). Then we watched as the team would soon part ways with Moss, Coles, Thomas, MacKenzie, while the team replaced them with the likes of Brent Smith and Justin McCareins.

Bryan Thomas. Dogged it so badly after getting paid that this contract indirectly led to the Jets drafting Vernon Gholston, so you can kind of add that pick to his extension and can't fully separate the two when grading the Thomas extension. Yeah BT became productive again after that, but just never became the speed-rusher he was drafted to be with his one-time alleged 4.5 speed.

Antonio Cromartie. We listened to Bowles make excuses for his horrible summer, covering for his player by saying he always starts slow, and it didn't get any better. We paid him twice what he got before we signed him and twice what he got after we let him go. So in effect he got 2 years' pay for 1 bad season. 

David Harris Part III; that same offseason with Cromartie Part II. On the heels of a $9MM/year second contract he didn't live up to - he was good but that level money for an ILB was for someone incredible, including $12MM and $13MM cap hits in the middle 2 seasons - it was ridiculous to keep him even longer for a 3rd Jets contract at $7.5MM per, while fully guaranteeing the first 2 years at that rate. Once the guaranteed money dried up, he was cut before the quasi-tank 2017 season.

Jeremy Kerley extension. After drafting his replacement didn't exactly pan out, Idzik tried to save his job by convincing his boss he still had the slot receiver spot covered. Not on the same level as the worst of the above, but it wasn't good either and I was remembering it so I wanted to type more. 

• Upvote 4