The Big "Jamal Officially asks to be traded" Thread

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Everyone gets the Jets have leverage here but at what point do remove the distraction?  I've been the biggest Jamal supporter on the board but if he's dropping teams he wants to go to and doesnt need the extension, I dont see how this a good character to have around the team.  How can anyone give this dude an ounce of respect after this charade?  Do you let this evolve into a Jalen Ramsey situation?  I dont think you can. 

i think what would happen during the season is that the lockerroom would take care of itself.  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

But what if your team is like a huge joke and sucks eternally and you really really really like watching the player because he provides 1000x more entertainment than the actual team? 

The only time football is fun is when your team wins. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again.  Him demanding a trade ensures he's not getting an extension here.  He doesn't even care to go to a team that is going to pay him right away, as long as he shoots his way out of here.

Name me a player who has ever demanded a trade and then got signed to a big contract by the team he's demanding a trade from.  Go ahead, I'll wait.

Take some lessons from @JiF.  He's starting to see the light.

Yeah but like, I actually have the ability to see the light...

Again, everything changes when you say you'll go somewhere without the extension.  I had his back all the way to that point.  Once I read that, yeah, Jamal suck lemons.  That is the ultimate bitch move. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure but it directly quotes Jamal.   I'm pretty sure he put in on twitter as well.  It's not like I just made this  up.  lol  We had like 30 page thread about it. 

"We've had small discussions thus far, not in detailed talks yet, just talked about it," Adams posted. "With that being said, I fully expect to be extended this offseason. I want to be in New York!"

It does, but it only quotes him, not anyone from the JETS who might have been in the same discussion. I'm not saying JA is wrong about being in this discussion, however I question whether there was actually someone on the JETS side that said "yes, we're actually going to extend you THIS Year" or if it were more like "Jamal, we want you to be a JET for LIFE"... That's all I question.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The only way Jamal is traded is if another team gives up a mega offer Joe Douglas simply can't pass up. Let's face it, Jamal has zero leverage. Acting like a petulant child on social networking does not constitute leverage. 

Yeah but if this carries over into the locker room?  It's quite obvious Jamal doesnt care about making a massive scene.   We have a young team, new GM, new Head Coach, trying to instill a new culture.  How can you do that when your best player/biggest name is a full on malcontent?  I just dont think you can.  Again, look at the Jalen Ramsey situation.  It's the mirror image.  Everything is no big deal on social media, even pull funny stunts like showing up in a brinks truck but then you roll that sh*t into the locker room and onto the field, bam!  Your season is over, you suck again, and now everyone is on the hot seat. 

Again, I get the Jets have leverage but is this worth what it could do to your culture?  Not sure it is.  Up to JD to decide but this is ugly and it's not going to be received well by his coaches and teammates. 

Just now, JiF said:

Yeah but if this carries over into the locker room?  It's quite obvious Jamal doesnt care about making a massive scene.   We have a young team, new GM, new Head Coach, trying to instill a new culture.  How can you do that when your best player/biggest name is a full on malcontent?  I just dont think you can.  Again, look at the Jalen Ramsey situation.  It's the mirror image.  Everything is no big deal on social media, even pull funny stunts like showing up in a brinks truck but then you roll that sh*t into the locker room and onto the field, bam!  Your season is over, you suck again, and now everyone is on the hot seat. 

Again, I get the Jets have leverage but is this worth what it could do to your culture?  Not sure it is.  Up to JD to decide but this is ugly and it's not going to be received well by his coaches and teammates. 

Jamal has already proven himself to be a liar and a phony so you can't believe anything he says at this point. 

• Upvote 1

If Douglas waits much longer to trade the situation is going to get even messier. There are several suitors for this young excellent player. Dragging it out will only create more of a headache, Adams has made no bones about not wanting to remain with the team,-so deal! Why keep a disgruntled player,
-get compensation for him now when the market is hot.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think what would happen during the season is that the lockerroom would take care of itself.  

Like the players would police it out or they'd just isolate Jamal?  Not sure what you're implying...

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The only time football is fun is when your team wins. 

How long you been at this Jets fan thing?  lol

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Everyone gets the Jets have leverage here but at what point do remove the distraction?  I've been the biggest Jamal supporter on the board but if he's dropping teams he wants to go to and doesnt need the extension, I dont see how this a good character to have around the team.  How can anyone give this dude an ounce of respect after this charade?  Do you let this evolve into a Jalen Ramsey situation?  I dont think you can. 

I agree with you here, if it continues he's really forcing our hand because you cant have that in the locker room.  But really it comes down to how the rest of the locker room feels about him.  If you were committed to trying to get an extension done, you go to all the players and ask how they feel about the situation and state your stance on wanting to offer him a deal.  This becomes increasingly difficult with players not present because normally you can get the temperature of the locker room with guys all there.  

Frankly part of me feels like this gets done and he gets his money here and then comes out and says it was all blown out of proportion and he was just trying to get his money.  But if he continues this tirade you have no choice but to trade him.  Especially since saying ill leave for no extension may rub the other guys on the team that were supporting him getting his money the wrong way. 

Other teams know the Jets have Adams under control for 2 more years, at minimum, for just over $13 million total.  They have no reason to rush a trade.  If a team wants him enough they'll overpay to get it done. It's as simple as that. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiF said:

i think the biggest difference between the adams and ramsey situations is that the jets (hopefully) have a franchise qb who is poised to be the true leader of the team.  

right now i think the team is tolerant of adams' whining b/c they're not together and the season hasn't started.  but i think his antics will get called out by his teammates if the jets are competitive and he's still a distraction.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Like the players would police it out or they'd just isolate Jamal?  Not sure what you're implying...

How long you been at this Jets fan thing?  lol

yes, i think at some point other players will call him out for being a distraction and tell him to shut up.  ideally this comes from darnold, assuming he becomes the player we all hope/think he can be.  can you imagine if the jets are, say, 5-4 and in the hunt for the division, and adams is complaining about his contract and listing teams he wants to go to.  truth, if that were happening i think gregg williams would just bench his ass.

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I agree with you here, if it continues he's really forcing our hand because you cant have that in the locker room.  But really it comes down to how the rest of the locker room feels about him.  If you were committed to trying to get an extension done, you go to all the players and ask how they feel about the situation and state your stance on wanting to offer him a deal.  This becomes increasingly difficult with players not present because normally you can get the temperature of the locker room with guys all there.  

Frankly part of me feels like this gets done and he gets his money here and then comes out and says it was all blown out of proportion and he was just trying to get his money.  But if he continues this tirade you have no choice but to trade him.  Especially since saying ill leave for no extension may rub the other guys on the team that were supporting him getting his money the wrong way. 

There is no chance that this would ever happen in the NFL.  

22 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Cool .... Let it fester and "hope" his trade value is restored. While "hoping" he starts to act like an adult rather than the petulant child he has shown himself to be. "Hope" he plays out any more of his contract rather rest in his laurels  and expect a contender to offer a kings ransom to save him from his horrible plight. 

That makes total sense right.? FFS.

There is an opportunity cost to letting this drag out.

I would rather take a lesser deal today and focus on other deals tomorrow.

Make this a clean cut enabling us to start focusing on tomorrow's work today rather than focusing on yesterday's work tomorrow.

No.  Let it fester until Jamal Adams tears his ACL during a game

Just like the Knicks with Porzingis 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Other teams know the Jets have Adams under control for 2 more years, at minimum, for just over $13 million total.  They have no reason to rush a trade.  If a team wants him enough they'll overpay to get it done. It's as simple as that. 

The boys are Jones’ing for Adams

Let them give us Ceedee and a 1st

Before accepting Gallup and a 1, I am reaching out to Philly.  Jamal reportedly listed the Eagles as one of his preferred teams, would love to try to get two Divisional Rivals in a bidding war to try to keep Jamal away from the other.  But if Gallup and a 1 is the best offer, I would take it.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I just expect Jamal will be a professional when/if no teams' makes an offer the Jets like enough to trade an all-pro level talent entering his prime. I would not give an inch in this situation if I were Joe.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I just expect Jamal will be a professional when/if no teams' makes an offer the Jets like enough to trade an all-pro level talent entering his prime. I would not give an inch in this situation if I were Joe.

why would you expect him to act like a professional?  here's a guy who is complaining about not getting $15-$17 million per year while the world is facing a pandemic?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

why would you expect him to act like a professional?  here's a guy who is complaining about not getting $15-$17 million per year while the world is facing a pandemic?  

He’s an “entertainer” remember?  ER nurses making $35k only have 2 fewer interceptions last 3 years

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

I'd take Gallup and the third straight up and call it a day. I don't think we even get that.

The Jamalpro loyalists really don't seem to understand how much this kind of stunt hurts his trade value. 

He was never worth multiple 1sts.... If he was ever worth a 1st and 3rd that value has taken a leveraged hit.

Everyone saying he has no leverage doesn't have a clue. He has negative leverage he can hurt his trade value further and be a negative distraction to the players, coaches, and fans. He can go scorched earth and drag his trade value further and further towards the negative side of the ledger.

The smart thing for a GM to do right now is project positivity, not say a bad word about Jamal, and take the best early offer. Make a clean cut and let Jamal be the only one acting like a child in the room.

No way. 

I understand what you're saying Jamal Adams' leverage might be, but when he exercises this negative leverage, he hurts his own brand, too. He stops being the "leader of men," that he's purported to be. He becomes less appealing for endorsements. Teams have to stop and think if he's worth the trouble. 

This is the first day after he requested a trade. His trade value has not plummeted. He's still under contract to the Jets for the next two years, and they have the franchise tag to slap him with after that - and it's cheap, because Jamal Adams plays a low value position. He's just raised the volume a little bit on what he had already been doing. There's no reason for Joe Douglas to blink. If JD does nothing, Adams then has to decide if he wants to take it to the next level with a training camp hold out - and the fines that come with that. The really scary prospect for him in that instance would be to see the Jets defense really not miss a beat without him in the lineup. That's when his value will really drop. 

And yeah, I'd take Gallup and next year's first rounder from the Cowboys in a heartbeat. The Jets would be better this year, and then they'd have an extra first next year! Sign me up! 

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

100% agreed, which is why I've done a 180 on the topic.  I came into the thread not reading anything and did my usual defense of Jamal because I freaking love the dude but this changes everything.  Such a bitch ass thing to do.

If it makes you feel any better, I think it's just him trying to grease the wheels of the trade.  I imagine he'd be expecting new money from whatever team sooner than he believes he can get it (if ever), from the Jets.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

That's a pretty big leap to make considering the behavior we've seen displayed by Jamal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If it makes you feel any better, I think it's just him trying to grease the wheels of the trade.  I imagine he'd be expecting new money from whatever team sooner than he believes he can get it (if ever), from the Jets.

the problem with adams is that he keeps changing his tune.  one day he wants a new contract, another day he wants to go to a good team even without a contract, the next day he wants to remain a jet for life.  there is no one consistent message from him.  taken all together it's just whining - whining for attention, whining he's not getting everything he wants, whining he's not considered a top star like mahomes.  

• Upvote 1