The Big "Jamal Officially asks to be traded" Thread

2 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Can't believe Jamal thinks he's worth $20 million a year. That's absurd. 

He thinks he's worth $20M+ and will be willing to "settle" for about $17.5-18M.  

That's who he is and what he's always been.  A guy who is delusional about his worth.

He was never going to accept Eddie Jackson dollars.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

This hurts his trade value more than anything else. You wanna send the Jets a first round pick AND pay a strong ****ing safety upwards of $20M/year? You can have him! 

his money demands will scuttle trade talks and the jets can keep him for 3 more years while they improve the team.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. And Adams absolutely is to blame, but JD should have seen this coming a mile away.  This past draft was loaded with talent at our biggest needs. The time to trade him was before the draft.  

we will not the value now than we could have then.  
This isn’t personal, guys make mistakes sometime. JD’s not infallible - he made a mistake here. That’s all.  

I don't know how we can determine that he made a mistake without knowing what he was ever offered for Adams. I'd've taken the Cowboys first round pick plus at the deadline last year, if something like that was actually offered. We didn't hear about any Jamal trade rumors, really, around the draft. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

"JAmAl iZ tHe HeArT AnD SoULl oV dIs TEeAm Bro00ooO!!!" Dummy GIF by memecandy

SmartSelect_20200619-095315_Chrome.jpg

Screw him. This obviously shows that it has nothing to do with the money. I say, we either trade him to some sucker for a huge package, or let him rot on the bench for 2-3 years.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol what?  Jamal isn't going to show an ounce of professionalism, ever.  Even if/when he goes to a team he likes and they pay him.  He's never going to act like a professional.  It's not in him to do that.

Joe Douglas has him under control. The backup quarterback intercepting and mascot tackling machine can piss and moan all he wants. No mega offer means he's playing for the J E T S in 2020. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That late first would have translated to another potential stud WR or OL.

Would absolutely rather have had that than whatever garbage we can get now.

Coming from the guy who wanted Jack Conklin and doesn't value draft picks all that much (from everything you've said, you'd have gladly given up significant draft capital to trade for a WR), this is meaningless to me.

We didn't know what pick Dallas would have or who would be available at the time.  There was no guarantee of this.  We could have easily ended up with something like Pick 28 given what we knew at the time.

Of course we'd all have signed on for trading Jamal to Dallas if we had known Lamb would have been available then.  But JD couldn't have known that.  Hindsight is 20/20. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's sad that it's come to this but I think he's gotta go at this point. 

He's a great player, but he's a diva and a safety. If they can get a decent package for him I think i'm moving into the "trade him" camp. 

this is the problem with adams vs very good players in other sports.  in football, the position you play matters as much as how good you are b/c you can't just be good or great at your position, you need to impact games.  adams' frustration could stem from the simple reality that despite his stats and effort he'll never be considered a foundation player.  he's lashing out.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't know how we can determine that he made a mistake without knowing what he was ever offered for Adams. I'd've taken the Cowboys first round pick plus at the deadline last year, if something like that was actually offered. We didn't hear about any Jamal trade rumors, really, around the draft. 

I agree that I’m basing those comments on rumors, but persistent rumors that weren’t denied - either way isn’t that what we do here?

if the Jets were, in-fact, offered a 1st round and something else for him before the draft, passing on that was a mistake.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree that I’m basing those comments on rumors, but persistent rumors that weren’t denied - either way isn’t that what we do here?

if the Jets were, in-fact, offered a 1st round and something else for him before the draft, passing on that was a mistake.   

If that had happened, that trade would have been roundly criticized here, with you helping to lead the charge on that front.

The "something else" was rumored to be some scrub Defensive Back.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look we know you   always bash Douglas moves so it’s really difficult to take your Statement seriously 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

We didn't really hear anything after the trade deadline last season. So while I would've taken the first & fourth rounder that were maybe offered, that wasn't the public preference at the time. You still have people here thinking he's worth a first rounder, Gallup, and something else. I'll gladly take it, but I think that's being greedy. 

It's possible he overplayed his hand at that time. Maybe he thought more interest would be generated leading up to the draft. Maybe he thought he could work out a long term deal with Jamal. Not sure that either of those positions is a "mistake." And I'm far from convinced that Adams has any more leverage today than he had on Wednesday. I'm pretty content to let JD sit quietly and pick up the phone when it rings. No low ball offers need to be entertained because Adams is under contract for two more years. The only change is that Jamal has officially announced what he's been implying for months. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If that had happened, that trade would have been roundly criticized here, with you helping to lead the charge on that front.

The "something else" was rumored to be some scrub Defensive Back.  

Just not true.  I was all for trading him.  I like him as a player too, go look if you want.

But a 1st and 3rd to me was a no brainer.  Especially considering the positional talent in the draft.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for you and so many others to concede a guy made an error.  Doesn’t make him a bad GM - he made a wrong call, it’s a tough job.  

• Thumb Down 3

Just not true.  I was all for trading him.  I like him as a player too, go look if you want.

But a 1st and 3rd to me was a no brainer.  Especially considering the positional talent in the draft.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for you and so many others to concede a guy made an error.  Doesn’t make him a bad GM - he made a wrong call, it’s a tough job.  

It is true.  Maybe if you were a bit objective once in awhile you would see that. You hold no credibility 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

This argument is absurd and frankly should never be mentioned on this forum again, as its a waste of time.

On September 12 Minkah Fitzpatrick was granted permission to seek a trade PUBLICLY.  4 days later he was traded for a first round pick.  

Just because these things happen publicly does not mean the team loses any bargaining position.

Exactly, especially if there is competition for him. It's not as though only one team will want him. There could and should be a bidding war for him. Also, he has no control over where he goes. All of those teams most likely won't yield a high #1, so it's like getting a second round pick in many cases. If you get a sweet offer, take it. If not, I wouldn't do a thing. 

I'd cut him loose for a 1st and a 3rd. 

I would also take a 1st and a WR (like Michael gallup from dallas). This is more or less what i think he's worth. At some point, you have to weigh the cost of keeping him relative to what you're getting, and a disgruntled player isn't really worth anything from a GM's perspective. So the compensation could realistically be a lot lesser than this (see the Hopkins trade a few months ago).

This is probably what other franchises are hoping for, a garage-sale deal on a disgruntled player forcing himself out.

What is our walk-away point with Jamal Adams?

• Sympathy 1

"Jamal Adams is a good safety. But is he Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu? No. Jamal is a box safety, he can stop the run but as far as downfield, that's not his expertise. I don't see a team trading 2 first round picks and paying him the money he's asking for."

SHannon Sharp nails it... a 1 and 3, or a good player and a 3.....

• Upvote 4