The Big "Jamal Officially asks to be traded" Thread

14 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

A 1st and a 3rd seems fair. Or a 1st and a WR or OG or Edge that is not on the last year of his deal.

Say no to Yannick. Hard pass. Plus Adams is better than him. So we’d be getting hosed trading him straight up. If Yannick was worth a 1st, he’d be traded already.

What? Yannick is only 25 years old and already has almost 40 career sacks 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Yep, in collusion with another team.

Honestly I think this is simply who Jamal Is.  He is clearly a ME guy.  He is either too stupid or arrogant or both to post all this garbage in social media for the world to see 

• Upvote 1

My insider auto renewed so here is my plan to get them back.

Safety Jamal Adams has told the New York Jets that he wants to be traded, a source told ESPN. Could Adams, frustrated by contract negotiations, force the team's hand?

The 2017 top-10 pick has averaged 91 tackles over three seasons, and he has 12 sacks and two interceptions in his career. He is owed $3.5 million this season, and then $9.9 million in 2021 when/if the Jets pick up his fifth-year option.

Will he be traded? That remains to be seen. But we asked our experts where Adams would fit best in a trade, and whether the Jets could land a haul of draft picks in a hypothetical deal. And should Adams be the highest-paid safety in the NFL, as he desires? Our crew weighs in.

According to Adam Schefter, Adams would accept a trade to the Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers or Seattle Seahawks. Which of those represents the best fit for him?

Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: Eagles. Adams would be an easy fit in Jim Schwartz's system, given his versatile traits. In Philadelphia, Adams would match to tight ends in coverage, spin down as a robber safety/underneath zone defender or pressure the quarterback in schemed-up blitzes.

Mike Clay, fantasy writer: Eagles. Philadelphia currently ranks among the league leaders in cap space and has a major need at safety following the offseason departure of Malcolm Jenkins. Linebacker and edge rush depth are also weak spots, which makes Adams' versatility very intriguing. The Eagles are also in need of guard help following Brandon Brooks' injury, so perhaps a deal including Adams and Brian Winters could be in the cards.

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: Cowboys. Come on. He's from Texas, and he wants to play there. The Cowboys always seem to have a need at the position, and right now is no exception. It makes too much sense, though I still think he ends up signing with the Jets.

Aaron Schatz, editor of Football Outsiders: Eagles. Moving Jalen Mills to safety seems like a good idea, but let's make no mistake, Adams would be a major upgrade as a playmaker who could do everything Jenkins has done for the Eagles' defense in the past. And their weakness at linebacker makes them a team likely to mix in some three-safety packages.

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Ravens. Baltimore is always a good fit for veterans seeking a new direction, and it would know how to use Adams' skill set. Put him next to Earl Thomas III for a year for a Super Bowl push, and then let him anchor the defense for years to come after that.

Field Yates, NFL analyst: Cowboys. And this isn't simply acquiescing to Adams' affinity for Dallas. The Cowboys' two projected starting safeties are scheduled to be free agents next offseason, and Adams is a massive upgrade to their personnel. He fits in basically any defense, which makes the financial part of this equation that much more pertinent: Dallas -- even with a potential Dak Prescott mega-extension -- can make this work with its cap.

Would you trade two first-round picks for Adams?

Bowen: No. You simply can't give away high draft assets and sign Adams to a hefty contract extension. That's bad business in this league.

Clay: No. Trading away a pair of first-round picks means you intend to sign Adams to a pricey long-term extension. Though Adams is worth the hefty salary, that's A) cap space that can't be used on other positions, and B) a loss of a pair of first-round talents on reasonably priced, four-plus-year rookie contracts. The opportunity cost is simply too high.

Graziano: No. He's a great player, but where's the value in that? The Rams did it for Jalen Ramsey, who, as a shutdown cornerback, plays a far more valuable position. And the Jets still haven't signed him to an extension. Unless you can get the extension worked out before the trade is done, I think it's too risky to do this for a safety. And even if you can, I think it's too much to pay.

Schatz: No. This is the same problem as the Khalil Mack trade. You're essentially trading a bunch of draft value (future cost-controlled talent) so that you can give a player a market-level extension. If you give Adams the highest contract for a safety and he plays like the league's best safety, you still aren't getting a discount. You're getting what you paid for. And if he doesn't play that well, you're overpaying. And if you aren't giving him an extension, why is he trying to get out of New York in the first place?

Seifert: Nope, especially when he will also need a high-end contract extension. A lot of this is about leverage and positioning. The percentage of trades that end up including two first-round picks, relative to the number that initially produced such rumors, is pretty low.

Yates: Nope. Here's the deal: No team is simply Jamal Adams away from a guaranteed deep run in the playoffs. Football just doesn't work like that, save rare exceptions where a single player allows a team to propel to the next level. And if you're a team that isn't even staring down a likely playoff trip, it's a massive price to pay for what could wind up being a pair of lottery picks plus the extension Adams covets.

Should Adams be the highest-paid safety in the NFL?

Bowen: Adams is a disruptive defender who fits in multiple schemes. He's a guy you want to coach. While I would like to see more on-the-ball production from Adams -- he has only two interceptions in his three pro seasons -- he would most likely reset the safety market given his overall production and age (24).

Clay: Yes. It's tough to justify the assets it would take to trade for Adams, but it's not hard to argue that he's worth an extension that resets the market. He's 24 years old, never leaves the field and is as versatile as they come, contributing at a high (if not elite) level in coverage, as a run defender and even as the occasional pass-rusher.

Graziano: Well, no, but mainly because of timing. Can you argue that he's a good enough player to make the $14 million or so a year that guys like Landon Collins, Kevin Byard, Tyrann Mathieu and Eddie Jackson are making? Sure. But right now you have him for two more years at a total of $13.36 million. Unless he's willing to sit out and not play, what's his leverage? I don't see why he's trying to do a deal now when he'd be better off waiting at least one year and putting himself in a better starting position for negotiations.

Schatz: If not the top safety in the game, Adams at least has a legitimate claim to being one of the top five. And when a top-five guy hits free agency, he usually gets a position-record contract. The only question is whether you're willing to pay him now when he still has two years left on his rookie deal. If that's what it cost to add Adams to my defense, I would pay it. The bigger problem -- see the previous question -- is that adding Adams won't just cost money; it will also cost draft picks.

Seifert: Maybe for a minute. He is among a small group of players who would be considered the best safeties in the game. When he gets a new deal, it's possible the numbers will rank at the top of that list -- until the next guy eclipses it.

Yates: Assuming the metric we are looking at is new money per-year averages, then yes. Because if a team were to extend Adams at, say, $58 million for four years ($14.5M per year), he would be due less than $72 million over six seasons, a palatable average that is less than $12M for the full life of the contract.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

What? Yannick is only 25 years old and already has almost 40 career sacks 

The Jags are asking for only a 1st. They’ve been actively shopping him for months.  The fact he hasn’t been traded suggest no team has been willing to trade a 1st.

We already know Dallas was willing to trade at least a first for Jamal.

As far as I can see, NFL GMs value Jamal higher.

Plus why trade a malcontent for another malcontent? 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Love the straight nopes across the board for two first round picks for Adams. That's pie-in-the-sky nonsense. A first and a starter is the best you can hope for. 

Agreed.  No way in hell we can get two firsts.  I’ve always been happy with a 1st and a 3rd or a 1st and a good but not great OL/WR 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Get this F'N toxic piece of dog scat out of here. He is another huge contract disaster in the making, and his mouth is not conducive to a team building environment. The "best" safety in football doesn't move the needle as much as a decent player at a skill position. Go trade this fool to a team who is foolish enough to give us a haul. 

Please don’t compare Adams to a dog. My dog resents such comments. All dogs deserve better.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Meanwhile Stephen A goes on a rant saying the Jets don't value Adams and that he deserves a trade.

Clicks is all they care about. Doesn’t matter if you look at it objectively. Just yell and rant

Well Stephen A is a jackass we knew that. But even Joe and Evan are too.  They basically bowing down to Jamal despite the fact that he doesn’t care about the Jets or the fans.  Like I said before I don’t like Francesa but he has been spot on about Adams 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Everyone gets the Jets have leverage here but at what point do remove the distraction?  I've been the biggest Jamal supporter on the board but if he's dropping teams he wants to go to and doesnt need the extension, I dont see how this a good character to have around the team.  How can anyone give this dude an ounce of respect after this charade?  Do you let this evolve into a Jalen Ramsey situation?  I dont think you can. 

Yeaaaaa for JiF...

Remember what they always say... Choosy mom's choose JiF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

What makes this harder, is Adams' posturing on social media and generally insubordinate behavior kills any team's desire to trade FOR him.

Like who the **** would want this guy? If he's complaining about not getting 'fair treatment' 2 years out and wants to be paid like a 'stud', NOBODY would want to take him.

That's not accurate.  He's playing a game many players play when they want out.  Teams couldn't care less unless he had off the field baggage combined with a big mouth. 

34 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The Jags are asking for only a 1st. They’ve been actively shopping him for months.  The fact he hasn’t been traded suggest no team has been willing to trade a 1st.

We already know Dallas was willing to trade at least a first for Jamal.

As far as I can see, NFL GMs value Jamal higher.

Plus why trade a malcontent for another malcontent? 

Jamal has 3 more controllable years and Yannick realistically has 1. That's the biggest difference

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. And Adams absolutely is to blame, but JD should have seen this coming a mile away.  This past draft was loaded with talent at our biggest needs. The time to trade him was before the draft.  

we will not the value now than we could have then.  
This isn’t personal, guys make mistakes sometime. JD’s not infallible - he made a mistake here. That’s all.  

I agree that the time to trade him was before the draft, but how do we know if it was clearly a mistake by JD, or maybe there was some sort of discussion that took place that made him believe Jamal would act like an adult and have talks. 

This is such a lazy article.  How about the 5-6 football guys he questioned give their theory on what a trade would/could look like for each of those teams instead of them answering some nonsensical trade scenario.  That would be way more of an interesting read then this nonsense. 

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

It really depends on how badly the club wants him gone. If they can live with him, then holding out for a 1st makes sense. But i think we're past that point. Aren't we?

Nope, let him rot then.

• Upvote 1

I'm sticking with 2 first round picks.  It does depend on the team making the trade and where you anticipate them picking though.

He was drafted #6 overall and has proven worthy of the selection.  He is a player going into his prime.  He can request trades all he likes but the Jets own his rights for 3 or 4 years, with 2 of those years being at a very team friendly price.  He has no leverage and neither does a team that is trading for him.

Player for player trades rarely happen in the NFL, and I think Joe Douglas is more interested in draft picks honestly.

I think Jamal Adams' value is very underrated on this board.  I would expect him to fetch similar compensation to the Jalen Ramsey trade.

This is now officially a sheet show.  What is JD to do now?  He cant give in to Adams demands or he'll look like a push over.  If he doesn't trade him, JD has a malcontent player that will poison team chemistry.  He then chances getting even less value next year.  If Adams sits, which he wont for long, it just disrupts everything.  I stil think JD can get fair value for Adams, (even if its a late first and a player or mid round pick) you pull the string on this yo yo.

• WTF? 1