The Big "Jamal Officially asks to be traded" Thread

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Don’t know Ertz’s contract situation but Ertz and a 1st for a TE-loving coach like Gase might get it done.

I’d be interested because of Julie. :D 

He’ll be 30 this fall.  He doesn’t interest me, especially with Herndon and griffin.

• Sympathy 1

PFT: 

Will the Jets trade Jamal Adams?

Posted by Mike Florio on June 20, 2020, 10:10 AM EDT
GettyImages-1188466517.jpg?w=560&h=316&c
Getty Images

The Jets have a decision to make. It’s too early to know what it will be.

With safety Jamal Adams wanting out and willing to be traded to eight different teams (and maybe eventually more), the Jets could end up getting a strong offer, if more than one of the eight teams are interested in Adams. For good measure, the Jets need to push the idea that they’re not trading Adams; if they can sell that to an interested suitor, they may be able to shake a sweetened pot from a team that wants Adams.

It will be important for Adams to play along. It’s no secret in league circles that Adams, undeniably an elite player, can be hard to handle. The team that trades for him and pays him won’t want to risk being on the receiving end of similar treatment, sooner or later, that the Jets currently are receiving.

The Jets also need to be concerned about the precedent that letting Adams go could set. No team wants current or future players to think that they can talk or tweet their way out of town. The Jets will need the same kind of trade offer that will get them to do what the Jaguars did with Jalen Ramsey. The Jaguars wanted to keep Ramsey, but in the end they weren’t going to reject an offer of two first-round picks and a second-round pick.

The question becomes will the best offer the Jets get for Adams (it definitely won’t be two ones and a four) be enough to get a deal done? If so, the question then becomes whether a new team will trade for Adams without a new contract (like the Rams did with Ramsey) or whether it will insist on a long-term extension before finalizing the transaction.

Adams, like Antonio Brown early last year, is showing that players have more power than they realize. Given the way things turned out for Brown and the Raiders, however, the team that trades for Adams will want to know it’s not inheriting someone else’s problem.

This means that the team that decides to try to trade for Adams will need to figure out exactly what went wrong between player and team over the last three years. The hardest part could be getting to the unvarnished truth, because neither Adams nor the Jets will want his potential new team to be scared off by whatever happened to poison the relationship so quickly.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

You'd hope that Adams understands the bold, but his actions suggest that he either doesn't understand or doesn't care. You'd think his ego would want the Jets to get two first rounders for him, but his head probably doesn't want his new team trading away too many assets... he does, after all, want to join a playoff ready team. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes. 

Some fans are panicking because Adams asked for a trade. They think his trade value is plummeting like the stock market in March. 

Joe Douglas yawned. 

Exactly.  We have a GM who knows what he is doing.  He doesn’t make panic moves based on the whining of Adams. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:52 AM, FidelioJet said:

I agree that I’m basing those comments on rumors, but persistent rumors that weren’t denied - either way isn’t that what we do here?

if the Jets were, in-fact, offered a 1st round and something else for him before the draft, passing on that was a mistake.   

If. IF ***IF*** , the Jets were offered a #1st JD would have jumped on it it faster than a bacon cheese burger pre-COVID-19. And you know JD would taken a high second to to get rid of this malcontent and use the cap space and draft pick for important positional players.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s deeper than that, imo. The team has zero chance to win when Sam isn’t in the lineup, and Adams made zero impact on the record when they started 1-7 with him as their “leader.” I think he’s acknowledging that he needs the cover of a better team around him to hide the fact that he doesn’t do all that much

I guess what I don’t get about the “he doesn’t do all that much” take is, then why was he an All-Pro?

5 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

I guess what I don’t get about the “he doesn’t do all that much” take is, then why was he an All-Pro?

You can be an All-Pro and still not generate enough takeaways. The safety position doesn’t hold too much range as far as All-Pro candidates go. It’s a very star shallow position. Derwin James and one or two others can be considered his competition. 

I would rather the interceptions than All Pro honors tbh.

• Upvote 4

On 6/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, FidelioJet said:

Just not true.  I was all for trading him.  I like him as a player too, go look if you want.

But a 1st and 3rd to me was a no brainer.  Especially considering the positional talent in the draft.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for you and so many others to concede a guy made an error.  Doesn’t make him a bad GM - he made a wrong call, it’s a tough job.  

JD made the right call - Jamal is the idiot for playing it like this - he made a HUGE error  and it'll come back to bite him in his huge egomaniac over rated ass.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sciond said:

I think we franchise tag him twice and that gives the Jets 4 years of control. and as a safety those numbers are not too big. I would make this toolbag sit if he doesn't like it...these are his prime years and they will be burned along with his top earning potential. Since he is a narcissistic tool bag he deserves this 

It would be nice to screw him over.  In reality, we need the draft picks.  I think he gets moved no later than the 2020 trade deadline.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

1AEEAF0D-6894-410B-9FB7-E3492F3C7485.thumb.png.7e6e5259f53af01505384df446b4ae46.png99CF0372-222E-4E26-8F17-3B24CFF8166D.thumb.png.968483797c7f5b3ce5ce617e64f7eeff.png

Gee, I wonder what Jamal's teammates are referring to since these were posted right after he made his most recent Instagram comments telling fans "it's time to move on" ???.

And its coming from younger players too.  UDFA Bryce Huff and 2nd year player Blessuan Austin.

Wow.  

• Upvote 2

On 6/19/2020 at 11:11 AM, TeddEY said:

Meanwhile, Jamal, to me, is trashing his trade value, and frankly his contract value, with a move like this.

One of the biggest challenges, as I see it, as a GM, is the psychological aspect of knowing who you can and can't pay.  Will this guy be an asset to the team once he's stupid rich?  Here is what I hear, if I'm a GM.  I've got a guy who's a very good player, at a lower impact position available to me.  I know he can be an asset to my team.  However, I also know that I need to pay him top of the league money, even if he's willing to differ that for a year.  I also know that this is a guy who overuses social media to make his point, and while he professes being a team-first guy, clearly has not been that, at least since there were trade rumors last year.  I also see a guy who's trying to force his way out of town, over money, in an offseason where big money has been slow to flow, because the US is in the middle of a pandemic and we can't even say for certain what the season will look like, or if there will even be one.  While I respect every players right to get paid, I also see this level of tone-deafness, as a detriment and a sure sign that this guy is all about himself.  I have to convince myself that suddenly, money stops all of these behaviors, rather than magnifies them, and I only get Jamal the football player, not Jamal the man-baby.  I have to convince myself that once a few players get paid more than him, as happens every subsequent offseason, he won't come knocking again.  Because, maybe I think the Jets are a bit of a clown-shoes organization, but I don't want to be the next clown-shoes organization by pretending that it can't happen to me.

And so, with all of that, I simply don't make the call to Joe Douglas.  I can find an adequate strong safety in the mid-rounds, and use my own resources, financially and draftwise, to build elsewhere.

Try using a few paragraphs (hit enter) to make reading a very thoughtful post easier to read.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

F*ck Ryan Clark.  Jamal's camp has no good reason to be able to call anyone else "arrogant".  Pot, meet kettle.

Ryan Clark lmfao. The same idiot who bashes Sam Darnold regularly. Nobody cares what him and his cashew shaped head have to say. He may be the worst “analyst” on NFLN

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Why do all of our high pick stars turn into azzholes? 

As much as players like money, they also want to win.  Winning cures a lot of ills.  We haven't made the playoffs since 2010.  Thus, I think players turn into a$$holes much easier.  

In Jamal's case, he was always an a$$hole.  He didn't become one, like a guy like Wilkerson did.  

• Upvote 3

On 6/19/2020 at 11:20 AM, predator_05 said:

I'd cut him loose for a 1st and a 3rd. 

I would also take a 1st and a WR (like Michael gallup from dallas). This is more or less what i think he's worth. At some point, you have to weigh the cost of keeping him relative to what you're getting, and a disgruntled player isn't really worth anything from a GM's perspective. So the compensation could realistically be a lot lesser than this (see the Hopkins trade a few months ago).

This is probably what other franchises are hoping for, a garage-sale deal on a disgruntled player forcing himself out.

What is our walk-away point with Jamal Adams?

No way JD turns down that value for Jamal, even before his temper tantrum, it was NEVER offered.

Keep him under his current rookie contract and **IF** he plays up to a top 5 SS then tag his BS ass ***TWO*** times. It'll cost less than given him a guaranteed long term new deal.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I wouldn't be mad.

I just think players demanding trades because they don't get a new contract with two full years left on their deal is BS.

I agree. So the question becomes what to do with said player. Some people have said hold onto him out of spite, but that hurts the team when he leaves as a FA and we get nothing aside from a compensatory pick, maybe.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:20 AM, predator_05 said:

I'd cut him loose for a 1st and a 3rd. 

I would also take a 1st and a WR (like Michael gallup from dallas). This is more or less what i think he's worth. At some point, you have to weigh the cost of keeping him relative to what you're getting, and a disgruntled player isn't really worth anything from a GM's perspective. So the compensation could realistically be a lot lesser than this (see the Hopkins trade a few months ago).

This is probably what other franchises are hoping for, a garage-sale deal on a disgruntled player forcing himself out.

What is our walk-away point with Jamal Adams?

A walk away is a second and a conditional third from a team that's expected to draft in the top half of the 2020 draft,

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You can be an All-Pro and still not generate enough takeaways. The safety position doesn’t hold too much range as far as All-Pro candidates go. It’s a very star shallow position. Derwin James and one or two others can be considered his competition. 

I would rather the interceptions than All Pro honors tbh.

Interesting take. Thanks for the response.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As much as players like money, they also want to win.  Winning cures a lot of ills.  We haven't made the playoffs since 2010.  Thus, I think players turn into a$$holes much easier.  

In Jamal's case, he was always an a$$hole.  He didn't become one, like a guy like Wilkerson did.  

That’s fair.  Losing does make it harder to make guys happy.  However like you said  Adams has always been a dick it’s Clear that he never valued the team or even winning.  He is do obsessed with getting the biggest contest two years early that nothing else computes with him 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Im going to look only at defense because losing Adams would completely change what the team needs to do on the field and would be extremely hard to replace without the team taking a step back.

Nah, not really.  Davis starts at FS, becoming the first Center Fielder we've had since Kerry Rhodes.  Maye slides to his natural position, SS.  We'll be fine.

Now all we need is an EDGE rusher, which we've needed since 2005, regardless of Jamal Adams' presence.  Zuniga and Huff might be those guys, but we should look to find an "established" piece or use a high pick there where we can.  

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

The Guy is posting pictures with his lamborghini, Rolls royces and bitiching about a contract in the middle of a world pandemic where people are starving from loosing their jobs

It’s amazing isn’t it .  Not just him but many players are doing the same thing.  Hell some players are committing crimes like robbery too during the pandemic .  Honestly it has made me not want to watch if they do have a season.  My youngest son just got into football and It sets a bad example for kids seeing them act this way 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC, the Cowboys offer was a one and their fourth CB Anthony Brown which, at the time, Douglas was justified in turning down. The fact that just getting a one backs seems like a good return is more a reflection on the base looking more objectively at Adams’ production.

Yep.  Hindsighters who were formerly Jamal fans are coming out of the woodwork in droves to say JD was dumb for not taking Jones' offer at the deadline. 

Mere months ago they were saying a 1st and 2nd rounder was the minimum compensation JD should be willing to accept.

16 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I agree. So the question becomes what to do with said player. Some people have said hold onto him out of spite, but that hurts the team when he leaves as a FA and we get nothing aside form a compensatory pick, maybe.

Plus 3+ years of all pro play.... Don't forget that

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Don’t know Ertz’s contract situation but Ertz and a 1st for a TE-loving coach like Gase might get it done.

He's signed thru 2023, though the final 2 years of his deal are "dummy years", since he's due to make less than $2M each of those years.

In 2020 and 2021 his cap number is a little under $12.5M each of those seasons, after which he'd be looking for a new deal at the age of 32.  

2+ years of elite TE play PLUS a 1st rounder?  Absolutely sign me up.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I agree. So the question becomes what to do with said player. Some people have said hold onto him out of spite, but that hurts the team when he leaves as a FA and we get nothing aside form a compensatory pick, maybe.

You don't hold onto him for spite, and you don't have a fire sale. You keep doing what you were doing. Getting ready for the (hopefully) upcoming season, and listening to offers. It's June. There doesn't need to be any immediate reaction. With any luck, more than one team will start to express interest in the coming weeks. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

yes and no.  But now it's way more national attention.  Adams fired the next shot and the whole thing is escalated.  But the economic nuts and bolts and the fact that Jamal has zero leverage aside from infuriatiing the fans, his coaches and his teammates via the press and social media have not changed one bit.  It has gotten uglier.  And that's 100% on Adams by the way.

As a fan, I'm fine with it.  One step closer to resolution.  

By choosing to throw his little tirade now, Adams ensured he'd be getting national attention at the wrong time.  Once it becomes clear JD will be doing nothing, the story will die down.

Adams may well choose to continue his little tirade all they way up to the scheduled start of the season, but by then, it'll start to fall on deaf ears with the media.

It was horrible timing on Jamal's end to try to get what he wants.  This trade isn't happening until there's a lot more certainty on what the 2020 season, 2021 draft and 2021 salary cap will look like.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

You don't hold onto him for spite, and you don't have a fire sale. You keep doing what you were doing. Getting ready for the (hopefully) upcoming season, and listening to offers. It's June. There doesn't need to be any immediate reaction. With any luck, more than one team will start to express interest in the coming weeks. 

Absolutely.  We finally have a GM who knows what to do.  He isn’t going to panic.  He has a plan.  

• Upvote 1