Is Jamal Worth the Drama?

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the other hand, Adams has a negligible impact on the W/L anyway so “helping the team in 2020” shouldn’t be a consideration. We’re going 7-9 with or without his mouth

The Jets are better than this even without Adams.  I expect a strong playoff push.  10-6 W/L record.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Please prove to me that he is a game change because he is not at all.  If he was a game changer the jets would not be wallowing with 5,5,7 wins in his three years.

If he was true elite and had 5 ints a year to go along with his box play and those turnovers helped us win meaningful games he would be a game changer, but he is not.

Not only that but by allowing him to play the way he does we give up a lot, no safety help in coverage on many plays, ilbs covering slot wrs etc.

I think most teams in the league know this as well thus we are not going to get the 'great' offer for him in trade,

Please prove he's not.  

The whole argument should be are you better with him or with the return on a trade.

The ridiculous back and forth about his play is pure nonsense.  Hes one of, if not the best at what he does.  On one hand he gets sacks only because GW uses him that way. Then you go 180 and say because hes used that way, as if its on him and hes the one dictating the way he plays.  He plays the way he does because GW and the rest think thats the way the D will play its best

Hes a really good player.  Cant even comment on blaming him for the win totals over the last 3 years.  Unless you want to take back all your complaints about Macc, Bowles, etc.

He likes to talk, hes acting the baby and the Jets will make a decision on whether hes worth the drama.  Pretty simple but again, complaining about his play is such the wrong route here.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Please prove he's not.  

The whole argument should be are you better with him or with the return on a trade.

The ridiculous back and forth about his play is pure nonsense.  Hes one of, if not the best at what he does.  On one hand he gets sacks only because GW uses him that way. Then you go 180 and say because hes used that way, as if its on him and hes the one dictating the way he plays.  He plays the way he does because GW and the rest think thats the way the D will play its best

Hes a really good player.  Cant even comment on blaming him for the win totals over the last 3 years.  Unless you want to take back all your complaints about Macc, Bowles, etc.

We heard this same nonsense about Muhammad Wilkerson in 2015

Jets fans love to overrate their defensive draft picks the team “hits” on.  For some reason the media, which loves to dunk on the jets, also overrates our supposed defensive superstars

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We heard this same nonsense about Muhammad Wilkerson in 2015

Jets fans love to overrate their defensive draft picks the team “hits” on.  For some reason the media, which loves to dunk on the jets, also overrates our supposed defensive superstars

And Wilkerson was really good before he turned into a dog.  Thats not the same.  Find one person, anywhere who thinks Jamal is overrated by Jets fans.  Find one article written complaining about his play and how hes not as good as advertised.  You won't find one.  

So no, its not Mo Wilkerson after the fact.  Just like Jets fans and especially the  media don't overrate Jets players on either side of the line.  

15 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He wants a bigger contract to go with his ego and was told they’d talk to him about it and never did. One phone call could of helped. 

No, it wouldn't have.  Because Douglas and Adams were never going to be anywhere close in terms of his perceived value.  Once they started talking actual numbers, this was always going to end up an impasse, with Adams behaving like a child.  It just happened earlier than we thought it would.

15 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I hate drama but the kid is a game changer and the most talented (only proven talented) player on our entire team? If you trade him away you really need to find something valuable in return which I don't think would be easy. He is on track to be a hall of fame player regardless of position you don't trade guys like that away for penuts because they are a headache sometimes.

No, not really.  A couple Pro Bowls and one 1st Team All-Pro don't mean he's automatically on a HOF track.  

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And Wilkerson was really good before he turned into a dog.  Thats not the same.  Find one person, anywhere who thinks Jamal is overrated by Jets fans.  Find one article written complaining about his play and how hes not as good as advertised.  You won't find one.  

So no, its not Mo Wilkerson after the fact.  Just like Jets fans and especially the  media don't overrate Jets players on either side of the line.  

Lets not overstate Wilk please.  Wilk really had only one really excellent season.  He dogged it in multiple seasons.  

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Lets not overstate Wilk please.  Wilk really had only one really excellent season.  He dogged it in multiple seasons.  

I dont know, I get what you're saying but his 3 seasons before the signing were pretty productive and he was pretty destructive on the DL.  He had a 10.5 and a 12 sack season wrapped around a season where he missed time but still got 6 sacks.  He wasn't great but he was trying back then and signing him at least was a valid discussion.  

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

2 excellent seasons, I would say.  Two 10+ sack seasons as a 3-4 DE is pretty damn impressive, regardless of what he became.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2 excellent seasons, I would say.  Two 10+ sack seasons as a 3-4 DE is pretty damn impressive, regardless of what he became.

Absolutely.  Say what you want about Mo but before the contract stuff happened he was having some real impressive seasons and he was acting like a leader.  Yes we all know how he took a complete nosedive after he got that contract but before that he was a leader.  That’s why he was the biggest disappointment for me because he started off do strong on and off the field 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Wilkerson was actually better than Adams before his extension

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Wilk was excellent before he decided to check out after getting his extension

The only reason he wasn’t all pro was he played the same position as JJ Watt

On 6/19/2020 at 2:46 AM, Maxman said:

From GreenBean, in April. Very interesting.

his ego so HUGE I think Jets can win this by holding out and tell him they will use franchise Tag next year and year after. He WONT sit out as he trying to establish a Brand and you have to play to get a Brand. Will he be pissed? Ya, but if Jets start winning, he gets all pro, Jets then pounce and resign him and all forgotten. He knows he HAS to be on TV and field to get what he wants, which appears TV, movies, music career down road. Players all think cause the can play football they're great actors/musicians also

On 6/21/2020 at 12:55 PM, Jetscode1 said:

The Jets are better than this even without Adams.  I expect a strong playoff push.  10-6 W/L record.

The time to trade Jamal Adams has passed, as it should have been done during the draft. Any trade now isn’t helping the 2020 Jets.   So both parties are stuck with each other for at least another year.   Save this conversation till next season

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The time to trade Jamal Adams has passed, as it should have been done during the draft. Any trade now isn’t helping the 2020 Jets.   So both parties are stuck with each other for at least another year.   Save this conversation till next season

We shouldn't trade him at all.  With as many Jamal threads on this site the conversation is front and center each and every day.

The only "drama" at this point is from a fan's perspective.  The FO and coaches don't give two craps about all the newspaper articles and instagram posts.

Now, things might change if he doesn't show up or does show up and acts like a little bitch, but as long as he goes out on Sundays and gives his all, the FO and coaches won't care about this nonsense.  

On 6/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, New York Mick said:

If they would of contact him and worked on a new contract there wouldn’t be any drama. 

After raising 4 kids you Never give a baby what he cries for. No reward for bad behavior. 

• Sympathy 1

it's not any bother to anyone but the fans and the talking heads who have nothing else to distract them at the moment.  this becomes a problem when training camp starts and adams makes noise about holding out or not reporting.  then it starts to become a headache.  if he thinks he's worthy of having the "c" on his uniform then he'll report and play.  he's a very good player and the jets don't have enough of them.  he also deserves to be paid like a top safety.  he can only improve his value if he goes to training and not hold out.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:22 PM, SouthernJet said:

his ego so HUGE I think Jets can win this by holding out and tell him they will use franchise Tag next year and year after. He WONT sit out as he trying to establish a Brand and you have to play to get a Brand. Will he be pissed? Ya, but if Jets start winning, he gets all pro, Jets then pounce and resign him and all forgotten. He knows he HAS to be on TV and field to get what he wants, which appears TV, movies, music career down road. Players all think cause the can play football they're great actors/musicians also

They can't use the franchise tag next year.  They already exercised the 5th year option for 2021.  They can franchise him in 2022 and 2023 if they like.

On 6/23/2020 at 8:11 AM, Raideraholic said:

I agree in part.  I think you hold on to him until a team that thinks they are close blinks and makes a move before the trade deadline.  The reason no deal got done during the draft is because the Cowboys  could look at the draft and see what they could get (Lamb).  During the season, when they think they are in the hunt, they are more likely to  make a move thinking they will be giving up 32 overall.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's not any bother to anyone but the fans and the talking heads who have nothing else to distract them at the moment.  this becomes a problem when training camp starts and adams makes noise about holding out or not reporting.  then it starts to become a headache.  if he thinks he's worthy of having the "c" on his uniform then he'll report and play.  he's a very good player and the jets don't have enough of them.  he also deserves to be paid like a top safety.  he can only improve his value if he goes to training and not hold out.

if only he'd be willing to accept a top safety amount, which would be over $15.  No where near the vicinity of $20.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:18 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

1) Had Douglas actually sat down for negotiations, it would have gone something like this:  Adams demands somehere in the neighborhood of $20M per.  Douglas responds that he sees Adams' value at something in the neighborhood of $15M per.  I.E., top Safety money but not top defensive player of the year money.  Adams feels insulted.  Adams demands a trade.  

more likely there were no negotiations 

this whole thing started because the Jets said they would renegotiate after the season and went back on this promise

meanwhile the rest of the team is on 1 year deals 

Manish wrote an article that the Johnsons told JD to hold back on spend this season and everyone blamed Manish

my Grandpa RIP had a saying "money talks and BS walks" the Jets are 25 million under the cap there was no spend this offseason and they are engaged in a PR war against their best player, who wants to be paid market value

the cap by the way goes up every year, even with Covid. There will be a loss of ticket sales but many other teams have signed their stars long term  to build a program 

the Jets are acting like they don't really have a plan beyond fill out a roster and show up to the games. Is anyone going to get an extension? Will Sam Darnold? Because that will cost 100 million dollars. And QB1 has been uneven to say the least. 

Just now, bitonti said:

more likely there were no negotiations 

this whole thing started because the Jets said they would renegotiate after the season and went back on this promise

meanwhile the rest of the team is on 1 year deals 

Manish wrote an article that the Johnsons told JD to hold back on spend this season and everyone blamed Manish

my Grandpa RIP had a saying "money talks and BS walks" the Jets are 25 million under the cap and engaged in a PR war against their best player. 

Oh stop it.  Everybody was signing 1 year deals this offseason.  No one has a clue what the 2021 cap is going to look like.

We get it.  The Johnson's suck and are cheap.  That doesn't make Jamal Adams right in all of this or worthy of getting his rookie deal torn up with 2 years left.  Exactly ONE 2017 1st round pick across the league has gotten a new deal.  One.  I guess the other 30 NFL teams are just as cheap as the Johnson's, eh?

• Upvote 1

We all dislike the Johnsons but they arent the reason Jamal is acting like a whiny bitch.  Unfortunately that’s simply who he is.  He doesnt care about the actual team never has, he has always  separated himself from the team especially when we lose.  News flash Jamal when the Jets lose YOU lose too.  Like I said I hate our owners and I never wanted Gase here but blaming them for Adams acting like a baby is such a cop out and is ridiculous 

On 6/22/2020 at 7:34 AM, More Cowbell said:

So I told you your response was totally not addressing anything I said and then you repeat the same thing. 

Did anyone ever tell you repeating the same thing and expecting a different result was the sign of insanity 

Sort of what you just did... ??‍♂️

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

if only he'd be willing to accept a top safety amount, which would be over $15.  No where near the vicinity of $20.

totally agree.  that's what this is all about.  it has been implied that adams thinks he should be paid the same as the top edge rushers or even qb's but has any talking head ever asked him why he should be paid way more than than any other top safety?  i suspect adams does know how much the top safeties get paid.  i find it hard to believe he is that unrealistic as to what his position is worth.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

totally agree.  that's what this is all about.  it has been implied that adams thinks he should be paid the same as the top edge rushers or even qb's but has any talking head ever asked him why he should be paid way more than than any other top safety?  i suspect adams does know how much the top safeties get paid.  i find it hard to believe he is that unrealistic as to what his position is worth.

You've never had a narcissistic personality completely interfere with your life, it seems.  Ask anyone who has what they see in Jamal Adams.  Serious.  I would place a very large bet that Jamal is completely whacked when it comes to his self-perceived contractual value.  It's only about jamal.  The position he plays has no relevance at all.  It's what he is worth (in his mind) without regard to any contradictory surrounding context or facts.

In other words, he is bat-sht crazy and it might be good to be rid of him sooner than later.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You've never had a narcissistic personality completely interfere with your life, it seems.  Ask anyone who has what they see in Jamal Adams.  Serious.  I would place a very large bet that Jamal is completely whacked when it comes to his self-perceived contractual value.  It's only about jamal.  The position he plays has no relevance at all.  It's what he is worth (in his mind) without regard to any contradictory surrounding context or facts.

In other words, he is bat-sht crazy and it might be good to be rid of him sooner than later.  

well, yes i have.  i have children.  adams is probably more fixated on leaving the jets at the moment.  he's not going to get 20 million from the cowgirls or any other team.  he knows this. 

• Upvote 1