Why did Douglas state he was going to begin contract talks with Jamal?

Early in the offseason Douglas publicly stated he was going to begin contract talks with Jamal. Then he completely went radio silent on the subject? I’m not trying to excuse Jamals diva behavior as of late. Just thought it was weird JD would make that proclamation then do nothing about it thus infuriating Jamal

• Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

radio silent according to Jamal? if the FO indulges the diva player who tries to negotiate through twitter and IG  they get killed, if they take the high road and deal with things in-house...they get killed. cant win.

besides for all that....did you miss the fact that the world is in the middle of a pandemic? we may not have football in September, the financial side of the NFL may look completely different then its ever looked.

It's beyond me how "we need more dogs Adams" is out there protesting BLM and talking about inequality in one breathe, and posting pics with his bentleys, and bitching about not getting a new deal 2 years early in another.

but to go back to my original point.....i wouldnt put too much stock into what mr entitled jamal adams says.

The pandemic excuse is a joke. NFL went through free agency and the draft handing out contracts left and right. So I don’t buy into the “we’re in a a pandemic we can’t give out a contract”. The point I’m making is Douglas came out and said “we want Jamal to be a Jet for life we will begin contract negotiations.” Then he never did anything. That’s what I don’t understand 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

9197478A-0D99-405F-8728-C938D33776A1.png

There's no time frames mentioned. 

It's possible Joe had the intention of offering an extension after 2 years.  Maybe in the preliminary discussions Joe showed what that may look like on paper to pacify Adams and maybe that approach backfired and did the opposite.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GQMartin said:

There's no time frames mentioned. 

It's possible Joe had the intention of offering an extension after 2 years.  Maybe in the preliminary discussions Joe showed what that may look like on paper to pacify Adams and maybe that approach backfired and did the opposite.

I think the fact that Douglas publicly came out and stated this and then did nothing sent Jamal off the deep end

For god sakes we still have 3years Of control over him if we franchise him.  Not sure Why he needs it right this very instant.  He is acting a baby crying over wanting candy lol.  Plus those rumors of him wanting 20 million per year I think are accurate knowing Jamal and his antics.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

For god sakes we still have 3years Of control over him if we franchise him.  Not sure Why he needs it right this very instant.  He is acting a baby crying over wanting candy lol.  Plus those rumors of him wanting 20 million per year I think are accurate knowing Jamal and his antics.  

Yes we all know how much control the Jets have over him. My question is why did Douglas come out and state the would begin contract negotiations and then do nothing? 

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think the fact that Douglas publicly came out and stated this and then did nothing sent Jamal off the deep end

You are probably right and unfortunately you have to chalk it up to a first time GM.

Though, I'm not sure we will ever get Douglas' account of the discussions at this point.

For the record: I wouldn't extend anyone with the NFL season in jeopardy.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yes we all know how much control the Jets have over him. My question is why did Douglas come out and state the would begin contract negotiations and then do nothing? 

No.  I’m sure Douglas did talk him. Jamal has been acting like a crazy y person for over a year now.  I’m not gonna blame Douglas for that.  His hissy fit in October Was long before Douglas said anything 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

The article you posted only says that JD wanted Adams to be a Jet for life (the kind of thing that organizations say about their star players), and that there were, "some preliminary discussions," about a new contract. Why assume that Douglas did nothing here? I suspect he saw how far apart the two sides were, and then stepped away. As he should've. 

This 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Even if that were the case, it just means that Jamal was too close to the deep end to begin with. He's looking for special treatment, and behaving like the Jets are being unfair to him. 

No way the Jets should do a deal two years early with a ****ing strong safety unless that player is willing to take a home town discount in exchange for long term security. That's how that works. No, Jamal Adams not only wants to be paid at least a year early, but he wants a record and precedent setting deal for a SS. 

He can pound rocks and pout. 

While lowering his market value as a result.

This "act" is very unlikely to attract new potential buyers and is almost certain to cause some others to take a pass or lowball any offer.

Smart work Mr. Adams.

• Upvote 4

Just now, TeddEY said:

Nothing in this states, or alludes to, Joe Douglas promising Jamal a new contract this offseason.

"Jet for Life" - He still has 2 years on his deal, and the ability to be franchised at least twice.  There is the absolute ability to make him a "Jet for Life," 3 years from now.

"Some preliminary discussions" - This could be as simple as reaching out to Jamal's people and seeing what they'd be looking for in a long term deal today.  It's absolutely wise to see if he's willing to take a meaningful discount in order to accelerate new money and a new signing bonus, but if he's not, well, see "Jet for Life" above, and no reason to give up those years of control, and as such, the "preliminary discussions" have ended.

So, as demonstrated, there's absolutely no promise in the above that a new deal would be worked towards this offseason.

Exactly.  There were no promises.  Whether Jamal misinterpreted it or what the fact is Douglas never made any promises to him 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

It's been one day. But if Adams persists and/or escalates his trade demands, he's only hurting his own brand. He's just not good enough, or important enough, to hold the team hostage. The Jets could open the season without him, and the defense will be fine. If he wants to hold out, drown himself in fines, and watch Ashtyn Davis intercept passes, he can do that. 

I would seriously consider playing him at Linebacker or letting him sit or hold out if he feels that is insulting.  All the wile leaving it perfectly clear that his actions and level of play today are his audition for the next GM ans the size of his next contract.

If I am a GM for another team how can I make any kind of offer for this guy at this point?  What kind of a nightmare would I be getting myself/my team into?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  There were no promises.  Whether Jamal misinterpreted it or what the fact is Douglas never made any promises to him 

Well, look... In fairness, we don't know what Douglas said to Jamal behind closed doors.  We just know that the only evidence we have of conversations does not speak to any kind of promise being made.

Just now, TeddEY said:

Well, look... In fairness, we don't know what Douglas said to Jamal behind closed doors.  We just know that the only evidence we have of conversations does not speak to any kind of promise being made.

True.  Although I trust Douglas a hell of a lot more than Jamal.  Also it’s possible after seeing Adams babyish behavior Douglas might have had second thoughts.  But publicly he never made any promises to him.  He might have said “Hey Jamal let’s wait until next year to get this done because we still have you under control for a while”.  But it’s obvious Jamal wants huge money ‘this very instant.  It’s also. Scone clear you can’t make this kid happy no matter what you do 

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I would seriously consider playing him at Linebacker or letting him sit or hold out if he feels that is insulting.  All the wile leaving it perfectly clear that his actions and level of play today are his audition for the next GM ans the size of his next contract.

If I am a GM for another team how can I make any kind of offer for this guy at this point?  What kind of a nightmare would I be getting myself/my team into?

I'd never consider this. The franchise number this year for a LB is $15.8M, while it's $11.4 for a safety. Why give Jamal a free $4.4M on the tag if that's what it comes to? 

Jamal has sent out the list of teams he wants to play for, including teams he wouldn't need an extension from immediately. If any of them are interested, they probably have less of a concern about Adams than the Jets need to. The inference is that he'd be a good soldier for them. Hopefully someone bites down hard. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Early in the offseason Douglas publicly stated he was going to begin contract talks with Jamal. Then he completely went radio silent on the subject? I’m not trying to excuse Jamals diva behavior as of late. Just thought it was weird JD would make that proclamation then do nothing about it thus infuriating Jamal

Teams will initially low ball the Jets if they feel the Jets are desperate to trade him. So JD said that we want to hold onto you while looking at trade offers behind the scene.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

The pandemic excuse is a joke. NFL went through free agency and the draft handing out contracts left and right. So I don’t buy into the “we’re in a a pandemic we can’t give out a contract”. The point I’m making is Douglas came out and said “we want Jamal to be a Jet for life we will begin contract negotiations.” Then he never did anything. That’s what I don’t understand 

This is what you aren’t understanding. GM’s have no idea what the 2021 cap will look like. It could drop as much as 50%. No GM wants to hand out a contract without knowing what the 2021 cap will look like. GM’s used the 2020 cap space to go through free agency. Toying with 2021 money is an entire different story.

• Upvote 2