Why did Douglas state he was going to begin contract talks with Jamal?

Just now, T0mShane said:

Amusing watching people attempt to blame anyone but Jamal Adams for Jamal Adams’ behavior. 

Most people blame Jamal.  Of course there is always that small group who blame management for everything even when Jamal is clearly a head case who is always unhappy 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Amusing watching people attempt to blame anyone but Jamal Adams for Jamal Adams’ behavior. 

Stop it T0m! You know Jamal really wants to be a Jet! He bleeds green! No not money green! You know it was the front office that poisoned his mind! Just stop it already!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

All I remember is that Douglas said he wanted to make Adams a Jet for life. I don't recall Douglas saying that he would  begin contract talks by date XX/XX/XXXX. 

Douglas could also be the kind of guy that doesn't like to be pressured into contract talks so the more Adams talks the less likely Douglas is to start negotiating especially when the Jets have all the leverage the next couple of years. 

Yup. Douglas also said they plan to talk to Adams after the draft. Talking doesn’t mean contract offer. Douglas has stayed they want to make Jamal a Jet for life. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This true, but knowing the type of person he is the jets brain trust got fooled into patting him on the head and saying the things he wanted to hear rather than giving him the truth.  with certain people if you try and avoid conflict by placating them you are setting up problems down the road.

The CEO should have told Adams to talk to the GM an coach instead of butting in originally.

The GM should have made it very clear that they like the player and will take deal down the road but also that they HOLD ALL THE CARDS and will deal with him when thy get the chance on the teams time line.

Instead they tried to baby him and they are reaping the reward now to some extent.

Having said all that Jamal is a phony whiny little beotch who is the most overrated player in the league.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Nothing in this states, or alludes to, Joe Douglas promising Jamal a new contract this offseason.

"Jet for Life" - He still has 2 years on his deal, and the ability to be franchised at least twice.  There is the absolute ability to make him a "Jet for Life," 3 years from now.

"Some preliminary discussions" - This could be as simple as reaching out to Jamal's people and seeing what they'd be looking for in a long term deal today.  It's absolutely wise to see if he's willing to take a meaningful discount in order to accelerate new money and a new signing bonus, but if he's not, well, see "Jet for Life" above, and no reason to give up those years of control, and as such, the "preliminary discussions" have ended.

So, as demonstrated, there's absolutely no promise in the above that a new deal would be worked towards this offseason.

Thanks, you saved me a lot of thinking and typing...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

The pandemic excuse is a joke. NFL went through free agency and the draft handing out contracts left and right. So I don’t buy into the “we’re in a a pandemic we can’t give out a contract”. The point I’m making is Douglas came out and said “we want Jamal to be a Jet for life we will begin contract negotiations.” Then he never did anything. That’s what I don’t understand 

1. free agency was months ago, started in March? and BTW many teams did show restraint, including the jets

2. what were they supposed to do? not draft players this year?

3. ALL THAT not withstanding, you'd think that signing guys with 2 years left on their deal is the type of thing you could hold off doing during this time of uncertainty?

if you think that JD actually "never did anything"...i have a bridge to sell you. you don't think that have had multiple discussions with the agent?be serious. Adams is an entitled, spoiled, POS diva...

make no mistake about it, Adams is trying to bully the jets into doing something they dont want to do on his schedule (nor would the steelers, ravens, pats, etc....) via social media...thank god JD isnt the type. **** off Jamal.

1 hour ago, viffer said:

Salary cap is tied to revenues. If the total revenues for the NFL are down 30% - 40% this year, the salary cap will be way, way down next year. That is not a joke. That is reality.

Paying a frickin' safety a new contract when he is under contract for 2-3 years yet when the cap for next year could be a disaster is just plain stupid.

+100000

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/4/22/21230404/nfl-2020-season-covid-19-adam-schefter-2021-salary-cap

I love Jamal the player. However, if next year's cap is cut by 70-80 million, Jets will have Darnold, Jamal, the guys still playing on their rookie deals, Mosely and .......? Half a lineup on vet minimum salaries?

The great unknown in all this is the dialogue behind the scenes. If the team is telling Jamal "We were ready to offer X, but we can't until this issue with the 2021 cap is resolved", then Jamal is being an a$$hole. If the team is not willing to even discuss the parameters of what an extension might look like once the cap issue is resolved, then shame on the team. 

Additionally, if Jamal wants to be paid higher than Mosely, then Jamal can wait a year or 2. The only reason it makes sense to extend him early is if it is an attractive deal to the team; otherwise, the team can just wait.  

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

That article is dated feb that is before the pandemic hit home. Different world right now. Maybe Adams has been so focused on himself he doesn’t know what’s going on in the world now???

He simply doesnt care.  Like I said this is the result of somebody falling in love with himself.  When you say things like “I’m in the same league as Aaron Donald or Tom Brady” it’s clear the person who said that has gone off the deep end 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Early in the offseason Douglas publicly stated he was going to begin contract talks with Jamal. Then he completely went radio silent on the subject? I’m not trying to excuse Jamals diva behavior as of late. Just thought it was weird JD would make that proclamation then do nothing about it thus infuriating Jamal

Two things at play here:

1. Public Relations is important, and saying nice things about the best defensive player on the team is good PR.

2. "Talk is cheap".  Talking about making him a Jet for life is nice, and best of all, doesn't cost anything.  Personally, I feel that this is the correct thing to do.

The art of negotiation is all about leverage.  Jamal has no leverage, so he is trying to create leverage by trashing the team and showing that he is unhappy being a Jet.  

In the meantime, the Jets have all the leverage, and they don't need to try to create leverage, they own it!  Two years to go, then Franchise him after that, means that Jamal needs to create something to help himself.

In this negotiation, if Jamal is reasonable in his contract demands, then the Jets might move to the middle and consummate a long term deal.  If Jamal asks for the moon, he won't get it.  The Jets will hold out for a trade that benefits them, or else they just won't trade him.  

That is exactly what I would do.  If Jamal won't play or plays like garbage on purpose, then he will end up hurting his brand and definitely be cutting his nose off to spite his face.

If I were advising Jamal, I would try to move to the center and make a deal with the Jets.  A 4 year deal for $60M, and $40M guaranteed is not a bad deal at all in my opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think the fact that Douglas publicly came out and stated this and then did nothing sent Jamal off the deep end

Please provide a link where JD said he was going to extend Jamals contract this off season. Not Jamal trying to put words in JD's mouth.

12 hours ago, Jets723 said:

For god sakes we still have 3years Of control over him if we franchise him.  Not sure Why he needs it right this very instant.  He is acting a baby crying over wanting candy lol.  Plus those rumors of him wanting 20 million per year I think are accurate knowing Jamal and his antics.  

He wants it before the 2020 season because he'll never be used the same way as GW was forced to use him last year due to injuries and lack of talent. Jamal is just smart enough to know he needs to paid this year because after next year he'll be used primarily as a box SS with hands of stone, average speed and his absurd demands to paid like a top 5 premium position player will fade away.

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Early in the offseason Douglas publicly stated he was going to begin contract talks with Jamal. Then he completely went radio silent on the subject? I’m not trying to excuse Jamals diva behavior as of late. Just thought it was weird JD would make that proclamation then do nothing about it thus infuriating Jamal

How do you know whether or not Joe Douglas engaged in serious talks with Jamals agent or not? Your only source of information right now is Jamal's twitter account. How reliable is that? Joe D is doing exactly what any GM should do in this situation,which is not say a word to the press. Joe's job is to act like an adult and make sound decisions and not respond to the whiney bitch.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

How do you know whether or not Joe Douglas engaged in serious talks with Jamals agent or not? Your only source of information right now is Jamal's twitter account. How reliable is that? Joe D is doing exactly what any GM should do in this situation,which is not say a word to the press. Joe's job is to act like an adult and make sound decisions and not respond to the whiney bitch.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas does deserve some blame for this as does the CEO.

CJ deserves a huge share of the blame. When an employee publicly states that he refuses to talk to his HC and GM and then goes over their heads to the CEO or owner. The owner should have in a very firm way told the crying temper tantrum headcase of an employee to go through channels and not choose to placate him.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, GaryM said:

How do you know what JD did or did not do? I am sure he works on his own timetable. If Adams had waited he might have found out. There was no date mentioned in your article. The bottom line is that Adams does not want to play for the Jets, as shown by him saying he would go to another team without an extension. You Jamal lovers trying to blame other people for his actions is ludicrous. What do you want JD to do...throw the bank at Jamal, a box safety, and give him what he wants to appease him at the expense of the team? If he would have taken a fair and equitable deal, I would be all for it, however we all know the answer to that. He is a narcissistic spoiled person who needs to be traded to a bad team in the NFC, if we can find anyone foolish enough to take him.

The Jets can't give him away for a fire sale price to any team, even a bad NFC team because they might decide to flip him to a contender. They might give the Jets a 3 and a 5 and turn around and get a 2 and a 5.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Two things at play here:

1. Public Relations is important, and saying nice things about the best defensive player on the team is good PR.

2. "Talk is cheap".  Talking about making him a Jet for life is nice, and best of all, doesn't cost anything.  Personally, I feel that this is the correct thing to do.

The art of negotiation is all about leverage.  Jamal has no leverage, so he is trying to create leverage by trashing the team and showing that he is unhappy being a Jet.  

In the meantime, the Jets have all the leverage, and they don't need to try to create leverage, they own it!  Two years to go, then Franchise him after that, means that Jamal needs to create something to help himself.

In this negotiation, if Jamal is reasonable in his contract demands, then the Jets might move to the middle and consummate a long term deal.  If Jamal asks for the moon, he won't get it.  The Jets will hold out for a trade that benefits them, or else they just won't trade him.  

That is exactly what I would do.  If Jamal won't play or plays like garbage on purpose, then he will end up hurting his brand and definitely be cutting his nose off to spite his face.

If I were advising Jamal, I would try to move to the center and make a deal with the Jets.  A 4 year deal for $60M, and $40M guaranteed is not a bad deal at all in my opinion.

I was with up until that last statement. A box SS is not worth that much cap space. Either he takes a very team friendly deal or we keep him for the 2 years remaining on his rookie contract and then can franchise him not once but twice for less $$$ than the contract you propose.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yes we all know how much control the Jets have over him. My question is why did Douglas come out and state the would begin contract negotiations and then do nothing? 

He is still working on signing our draft class. I'd imagine players already under contract looking for a new deal will take the back burner to players without any contract.

Also it would be incredibly irresponsible to dish out a $20m a year contract without understanding what is happening to the cap next year. Not to mention giving out a deal after 3 years will lead to Sam and Quinnen doing the same thing. This has large repercussions and it's not something I condone the Jets doing.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Alka said:

Two things at play here:

The Jets have all the leverage and meeting him in the middle is the richest safety contract in his history?  

The Jets have him signed for approximately $15M total over the next two.  He gets $825K salary+$2.7M roster bonus for 2020.  There is $3.4M prorated bonus, but that money is gone, so I don't even count it.  He is under $10M for 2021.  That contract amounts to a 2 year extension for $45M.  Does that make sense when the highest contract ever paid a safety is under $15M per and the cap may be going down?

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2020 at 11:47 AM, Beerfish said:

Douglas does deserve some blame for this as does the CEO.

How should he have handled it?  Only a few 1st rounders have been extended after 3 years. The Jets have this year and a 5 th year option on his rookie deal. Discussion with the agent didn’t mean giving up all leverage. He probably wants to start talking about a new contract after this year which seems reasonable to me. Jamal’s only option to get a deal  sooner is to be a disruption which he is starting to do. The Jets should ignore that which they are doing. They are also keeping silent instead of arguing on social media which also is appropriate. What would you do if you were Douglas?  

5 minutes ago, docdhc said:

How should he have handled it?  Only a few 1st rounders have been extended after 3 years. The Jets have this year and a 5 th year option on his rookie deal. Discussion with the agent didn’t mean giving up all leverage. He probably wants to start talking about a new contract after this year which seems reasonable to me. Jamal’s only option to get a deal  sooner is to be a disruption which he is starting to do. The Jets should ignore that which they are doing. They are also keeping silent instead of arguing on social media which also is appropriate. What would you do if you were Douglas?  

A few things needed to be made very very clear.

#1 We will listen to trade offers on every player on the roster.

#2 We like you as a player and want to sign you but we control you for three more years so there is no urgency on our part.  We will talk but no major renegs are going to happen until we (the team) thinks it is proper.

#3 If we are going to re-sign you early you have to give something up.

#4 If you have a bee or a complaint you need to talk to the coach and me the Gm and not go to the owner,

#5 Douglas to C. Johnson.  "You hired me to do a job, under no circumstances should you be talking to Jamal or any other player if they have an issue."

Without being in the rooms we have no idea how things went down but by all indication the jets front office and ownership got too wrapped up in patting this guy in the head and soothing his feelings even going as far as saying we want you to be a jet for life and we will talk contract this off season.  Both huge errors.  I think douglas misread the situation.

Having said all of the above it is by far the most on Adams, like 85% of this but the Jets opened some doors with the other 15%

21 hours ago, Jets723 said:

He simply doesnt care.  Like I said this is the result of somebody falling in love with himself.  When you say things like “I’m in the same league as Aaron Donald or Tom Brady” it’s clear the person who said that has gone off the deep end

safe bet he's been off the deep end well before getting drafted..

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

How should he have handled it?  Only a few 1st rounders have been extended after 3 years. 

And only 1 first rounder from his class to date:  Christian McCaffrey.

COVID uncertainty obviously being a big part of the reason that that is the case.  But don't try to tell Jamal that.  He doesn't give two sh*ts that NYC was ground zero (again) among US COVID cases.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

A few things needed to be made very very clear.

#1 We will listen to trade offers on every player on the roster.

#2 We like you as a player and want to sign you but we control you for three more years so there is no urgency on our part.  We will talk but no major renegs are going to happen until we (the team) thinks it is proper.

#3 If we are going to re-sign you early you have to give something up.

#4 If you have a bee or a complaint you need to talk to the coach and me the Gm and not go to the owner,

#5 Douglas to C. Johnson.  "You hired me to do a job, under no circumstances should you be talking to Jamal or any other player if they have an issue."

And how do you know each of these 5 points didn't happen behind the scenes?  Just because Douglas hasn't told any of the behind-the-scenes stuff to the media (which is exactly what any good GM does; give very little to the media) doesn't mean these things weren't happening.  

There is no placating Jamal Adams.  Nothing JD said to Adams behind the scenes was ever going to be satisfactory.  Because Jamal's a little b*tch and always had him.  The fault for Jamal's personality disorders doesn't fall on Joe Douglas.