Adams Asking Price Over $20 Million per Season?

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Negotiating in the media always works. Could you imagine being the agent that calls this idiot a client?

It worked for Revis but in that case team Revis executed the strategy better than team Adams has done here and the front office they were dealing with was also far weaker.

• Upvote 1

Contractually Adams must stay and play out his 4th year and I believe the Jets have a 5th option.

So here’s how it breaks out. 
DO NOT trade Adams.
What he does this year will determine his value next year. If he holds out for an extension he may miss the season. Value goes in the crapper. 

If he plays with a crappy attitude and doesn’t perform his value goes down. 
They could trade him at the end of the season for something decent.
The Jets are in a good position and is holding all the Adam’s cards. 
A win-win for the Jets either way. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, DetroitRed said:

I meant giving up the right to tag him

Ah gotcha.

To be fair though, rookie deals were a lot richer than they are now, and then Revis got his first big contract in 2010.  He bet on himself and it worked.

Adams doesn't have either of those things going for him. 

18 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I don’t think Maxman likes the word schmuck used on the forum. Or is it douchebag? Or is it schmucky douchebag? Can’t recall. 

But if the douchebag fits....  and in this case jamal is a perfect fit.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I hope jamal does holdout this season, at least for a few games. It will be a good gauge of his value when the starting rather than 5th and 6th string ILBers are playing. He deserves to be a top paid safety, in 2021, not now, and not a top paid defensive player.

^fxd

So what team can afford to pay a safety $20ml a year? Or are willing to pay that price? Jamal when called upon sign the franchise tag in 2 years it’s guaranteed $$$$. Until then cry all you want. Every player is expendable. Look what Greg Williams did with that D with so many injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

So what team can afford to pay a safety $20ml a year? Or are willing to pay that price? Jamal when called upon sign the franchise tag in 2 years it’s guaranteed $$$$. Until then cry all you want. Every player is expendable. Look what Greg Williams did with that D with so many injuries.

He'll end up "settling" for $17-18M.  And that is still far too high for what he brings to the table.

5 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

Robbie thought he was worth10-14mil a year what did he get? 7-8. 11 starters on each side 1 person does not win games on their own.

Preaching to the choir on this one!

But I will say having said what you said that SOME players are worth that kind of coin, beyond QB's.  I'd gladly pay Jamal money to a quality EDGE rusher, CB1 or true WR1. 

And if Becton proves to be a franchise LT, I'd gladly pay him that kind of money too.

6 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

Robbie thought he was worth10-14mil a year what did he get? 7-8. 11 starters on each side 1 person does not win games on their own.

Robby thought he was worth $10 mil per year.  His deal with the Panthers is for $20 million over 2 years.  Seems Robby was correct.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

whatever.  he deserves to get paid like the top strong safeties but that's about it.  if he can't feed his family on 12 million a year then he's got other problems.  i really hope the jets are considering of removing the "c" from his jersey.  he's certainly not behaving like a leader.

NFL's highest paid safeties (average salary per year):

• 1. Bears safety Eddie Jackson: $14.6 million
  • 2. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
  • 3. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
  • 3. Redskins safety Landon Collins: $14 million
  • 5. Ravens safety Earl Thomas: $13.75 million
  • 6. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $11.5 million
  • 7. Broncos safety Justin Simmons: $11.4 million
  • 7. Vikings safety Anthony Harris: $11.4 million
  • 9. Broncos safety Kareem Jackson: $11 million
  • 10. Raiders safety Lamarcus Joyner: $10.5 million

- Source: overthecap.com

While I'd take Jamal over every single one of those guys, i don't think he's better by enough orders of magnitude to command $20 million or even $16 million.

I think him, Landon collins and byard are in the same 'tier'. Jackson i'm not familiar with.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

While I'd take Jamal over every single one of those guys, i don't think he's better by enough orders of magnitude to command $20 million or even $16 million.

I think him, Landon collins and byard are in the same 'tier'. Jackson i'm not familiar with.

Jackson has had a nose for the ball thru 3 seasons.  10 INTs, 4 FFs, 5 FRs and 5 TDs.  Add up his turnover-causing type plays (INTs, FFs and FRs) and he has Adams beat, 19-12.

It's telling that Jackson was a 4th round pick in the same class as Adams and Maye and has put up better production than both to date.  Much like DTs, you can regularly find highly productive Safeties without using a high pick.  

Jackson's salary is very reasonable, and the dollar figure he was signed to more closely demonstrates what Adams' true value to a team is.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Robby thought he was worth $10 mil per year.  His deal with the Panthers is for $20 million over 2 years.  Seems Robby was correct.

Not really.  Robby only accepted the Panthers contract after rejecting a $40 million offer from the jets

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

Enough of the Landon Collins stuff.  He is hideous in coverage

17 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

The jets can afford to pay this safety

they are like 25 mil under the cap right now

cutting Winters and Williamson gets them to 40

Jets fans have grown used to the team never spending to the cap or close to it 

im not saying money is everything but

The last time it happened was 2010-11 the last time they went to the playoffs

meanwhile let's say the Jets trade Jamal. What are they going to use that money for? Sam Darnold? It's not like they can go to the all pro store and get a pass rusher just because that's what they'd rather do. 

Jamal Adams is the only All Pro they have. We had the same discussion with Revis by the way, he went and got his ring. 

Because the constant here is that Jets are not interested in winning, they are interested in keeping the lights on and collecting the tv checks

the sooner fans realize that the happier we all will be 

lower those expectations folks, the Jets don't actually want to pay the All-Pro's they draft.  Woody is not interested in hiring a better coach than Adam Gase or Todd Bowles. They are a team of one-year contracts. 

it sends a great message to the locker room by the way. If the Jets draft you and make all pro 2x you'll be expected to play out your rookie deal and if you don't like it too bad. 

Wonderful way to run a professional football team 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Not really.  Robby only accepted the Panthers contract after rejecting a $40 million offer from the jets

His contract is literally for $20 million over 2 seasons which is exactly $10 million per year.  You said he got $7-8 million because he was wrong about being worth 10.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I didn’t say that

My mistake.  You were responding to what I'd said to somebody else.  Apologies.

As far as a $40 mil offer for Robby, if such an offer was made, it probably didn't include the same gtd $$$ as Carolina or he'd still be a Jet.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

meanwhile let's say the Jets trade Jamal. What are they going to use that money for? Sam Darnold? 

Yes.  And perhaps one of these shiny new toys for said QB (all scheduled free agents after 2020):

• Chris Godwin
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • Kenny Golladay
  • Keenan Allen
  • Allen Robinson
  • Cooper Kupp
  • T.Y. Hilton

No matter where Douglas spends that money, it will be better than spending it on Jamal Adams, who doesn't want to be here. 

In no universe is it smart asset allocation to spend $17-20M per on a Strong Safety.  In no universe can you justify giving up all that coin AND the potential draft capital you'd get back in a trade for Adams.

On 6/19/2020 at 2:54 PM, AFJF said:

Over $20 mil?  Might find a hard time unloading him at that price, let alone getting a premium pick.

Jamal very good, dont get me wrong, but Problem is Gregg Williams makes most players look good. Many former Vets have said thier best years were with Gregg. Its like the Patriots conundrum, do you trade/claim for a player Belichick cut or doesnt want to keep?

meanwhile let's say the Jets trade Jamal. What are they going to use that money for? Sam Darnold? It's not like they can go to the all pro store and get a pass rusher just because that's what they'd rather do. 
Jamal Adams is the only All Pro they have. We had the same discussion with Revis by the way, he went and got his ring. 
Because the constant here is that Jets are not interested in winning, they are interested in keeping the lights on and collecting the tv checks
lower those expectations folks, the Jets don't actually want to pay the All-Pro's they draft.  Woody is not interested in hiring a better coach than Adam Gase or Todd Bowles. They are a team of one-year contracts. 
it sends a great message to the locker room by the way. If the Jets draft you and make all pro 2x you'll be expected to play out your rookie deal and if you don't like it too bad. 

I don’t agree with all of what you said. They spent a fortune on Revis and then Mike mac made the awful decision to pay Tru inflated price tag. Don’t get me wrong I like Jamal but he really is in no position of leverage. He should look to Steve Mc for some guidance. I think JD will make Jamal a good offer, yet when players like Tru sign and lose interest in playing then it really ruins it for more passionate players.

19 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

I don’t agree with all of what you said. They spent a fortune on Revis and then Mike mac made the awful decision to pay Tru inflated price tag. Don’t get me wrong I like Jamal but he really is in no position of leverage. He should look to Steve Mc for some guidance. I think JD will make Jamal a good offer, yet when players like Tru sign and lose interest in playing then it really ruins it for more passionate players.

there's no comparison between paying Trumaine, Bell, Mosely aka overpriced Free agents with Paying Adams a home grown draft pick and team captain 

The locker room revolves around Jamal Adams, whether we like it or not 

There are no players more passionate about football than 33 

It says more about the Jets they choose to give money to guys like Trumaine than guys like Jamal. 

• Thumb Down 1

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  And perhaps one of these shiny new toys for said QB (all scheduled free agents after 2020):

• Chris Godwin
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • Kenny Golladay
  • Keenan Allen
  • Allen Robinson
  • Cooper Kupp
  • T.Y. Hilton

No matter where Douglas spends that money, it will be better than spending it on Jamal Adams, who doesn't want to be here. 

In no universe is it smart asset allocation to spend $17-20M per on a Strong Safety.  In no universe can you justify giving up all that coin AND the potential draft capital you'd get back in a trade for Adams.

no one really good ever gets to FA 

it's always cast offs or guys like Clowney you don't trust with big money 

we can talk about these lists a year in advance but the really good guys won't make it to FA 

teams resign their stars

except for the Jets. We don't know this because we don't have stars. 

The last one was Revis. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

You do not pay safeties 20 million a year. 

C'mon.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, EM31 said:

It worked for Revis but in that case team Revis executed the strategy better than team Adams has done here and the front office they were dealing with was also far weaker.

The 2010 Jets also had Super Bowl aspirations and really didn't want to lose Revis. The 2020 Jets... Not so much.

9 minutes ago, peebag said:

You do not pay safeties 20 million a year. 

C'mon.

I remember when people said you don't pay CB's 15 mil a year 

they didn't give it to Revis, 5 years later they gave it to Trumaine Johnson

the money is going to be handed out one way or another

put it another way

the Jets are like when you ask Santa for 1 really good shirt from Polo and instead your mom goes to Marshalls and gets you 5 terrible shirts

Yes you can find substitutes. no it's not the same.