Adams Asking Price Over $20 Million per Season?

On 6/23/2020 at 12:00 PM, bitonti said:

The Panthers re-upped CmC from the same draft class despite not playing a premium position. Both are 2x All Pro in 3 years arguably best at their position.  Neither are QB's or pass rushers. 

the difference is that the Panthers are building a program and trying to win games. That's why they bought Matt Rhule out of Baylor and pay him double what the Jets pay Gase. They paid our best WR Robby Anderson by the way while the Jets signed Perriman and a bunch of others to 1 year deals. 

I'm not even going to touch the word in bold other to say a person wanting to get fair market value isn't the enemy 

he's the captain and if the Jets have any team culture it's LSU Adams. Take him away they are a mostly talentless bunch of losers. 

And Yes that statement includes Darnold until he proves otherwise. 

hahahahahha ... sounds like you need some sleep brother

---

Panthers paying CmC is the outlier not the norm.

regarding Robby, Carolina gave him more money that most considered he was worth

---

sounds like you're saying that overpaying by throwing more $ sooner than the precedent that the market has established for rookie contracts ... and throwing more $ at free agents than a player is considered worth ... is the proper business model for NFL teams who "try to win" !?!?!?

all you have to do is look up "NY Jets history" to know that iss a business model doomed for failure, lol

---

Then trying to sell Jamal as a worthy captain and poster child for establishing a culture for team success  !?!?!?!?!

hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaha ... you are too funny dude!

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

See below, lets discount 111 catches and 1400 plus yards because of brown.  so he got single coverage and torched the sh*t out of it, makes him a bad player.

Why don’t you post Juju’s stats from last season?

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Why don’t you post Juju’s stats from last season?

I mean would you post a players stats who played with a 2nd and 3rd string QB all year? Idk what this conversation is really about just hopping into it haha but that seems like a perfectly rational reason.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

McCaffrey is a superstar and one of the best players in the nfl at a more important position than Strong Safety

Comparing McCaffrey to Adams is nuts

they are both super stars

Jets fans don't know how to treat ours 

We don't recognize greatness when it happens because we aren't used to seeing it 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ljr said:

throwing more $ at free agents than a player is considered worth ... is the proper business model for NFL teams who "try to win" !?!?!?

all you have to do is look up "NY Jets history" to know that iss a business model doomed for failure, lol

---

Jamal isn't a free agent. He's a homegrown All Pro 

They don't have to lure him here with bags of cash. They should reward him for a job well done. 

that's how the draft is supposed to work 

what's the point of drafting an All Pro if you aren't going to pay him? 

as for business models doomed for failure 

the distance between the cap and the floor is like 20 million dollars

about what Adams wants 

they are 25 mil under down and could be 40 mil under after they cut more dead wood after cap. 

yes there's a cap, they aren't close to it and side note the Jets have not spent to the cap since 2010

the last time they made the playoffs incidentally

it's been 10 years since they were even remotely good 

they make big splashes to get to the floor like Trumaine Johnson and Bell. That's called under funding the roster. 

talk about a model doomed for failure, this model where they pay no one, hire the Gases of the world, don't pay your own guys like Robby instead sign Perriman and call it an improvement... that's a proven failure and the Jets have the W-L record to prove it  

for the last 10 years they've been starving the beast and taking these checks. Woody Johnson the only guy who could pay Jamal Adams, isn't even in the country. 

put it another way if Adams did play RB like CmC they still wouldn't be paying him. 

THEY 
DONT 
PAY

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Jamal isn't a free agent. He's a homegrown All Pro 

They don't have to lure him here with bags of cash. They should reward him for a job well done. 

Talking just about Jamal

... he is homegrown, you are right they don't have to lure him with bags of cash ... they also don't have to do what only 1 team (questionably) has done in paying a draft pick 2 years early.

You should know that you don't pay a player "for a job well done" ... that is ridiculous  ... you pay him for how you project his performance will be moving forward.

---

as for all of your discussion about cap ceilings / floors / where the Jets fall / & disagreeing about what is/is not successful business models

(first off, being careful about how we work our cap is hugely more important right now than ever before with how the cap will be effected due to everything going on in the world right now)

regardless of that point however ... we'll just have to disagree on what a successful business model is for an NFL team.

---

talk about a model doomed for failure, this model where they pay no one, hire the Gases of the world, don't pay your own guys like Robby instead sign Perriman and call it an improvement... that's a proven failure and the Jets have the W-L record to prove it  

for the last 10 years they've been starving the beast and taking these checks. Woody Johnson the only guy who could pay Jamal Adams, isn't even in the country. 

lol ... hiring gase has nothing to do with how to work the cap math

Robby vs Perriman most would consider as simply letting a player go instead of overpaying for him vs. paying a much lower cost for a player who may be similar to him in production ... i don't think very many of us "call it an improvement".

our W-L record history does nothing to either show being fiscally responsible with paying money to our players  leads to success nor that it leads to failure.  We all know there are a bajillion things this organization has done wrong over the years contributing to our failures.

---

You are funny holding Woody Johnson up as a positive for making good moves for the franchise.  Incidentally Christopher's wallet is just as deep as Woody's   ... and the fact that Woody is in England has no extra negative impact on the team than if he were in NYC.

put it another way if Adams did play RB like CmC they still wouldn't be paying him. 

good ... They should not until next year if "projected future performance not past performance" merits it

1 hour ago, ljr said:

You are funny holding Woody Johnson up as a positive for making good moves for the franchise.  Incidentally Christopher's wallet is just as deep as Woody's   ... and the fact that Woody is in England has no extra negative impact on the team than if he were in NYC.

that's the thing

Im not convinced their wallets are all that deep, by NFL owner standards

they are 30th in owner wealth according to Forbes 

Bob Kraft is at 31. The city of Green Bay owns the 32nd team. 

the Johnsons are billionaires by any measure the problem is their net worth 4.5 B, most of it comes from the Jets themselves 3-4 B. Again these are Forbes numbers which are estimates at best.  

put it another way if Woody Johnson wanted to buy the team in 2020 he wouldn't be rich enough, not by half

he isn't Paul Allen RIP or Khan. He isn't even Jerry Jones.   And unlike Kraft he doesn't really care about winning enough to do TB12 rehab deals or whatever. 

Manish got roasted for reporting the "Johnsons told JD hold spending" article but even a broken clock is right twice a day

the proof is in the current spend 

it's all one year deals  - fans claim it's "smart to be frugal" 

meanwhile they are 25 mil under now with the potential to be 40 under after cutting Winters and Williamson 

this isn't Indianapolis or Green Bay by the way 

the Johnsons leverage being the NY marketplace driving their team up to 6th overall in franchise value but they starve the roster and the coaching staff so they are 28th in power ratings. 

agents know this 

Im not convinced their wallets are all that deep, by NFL owner standards

the Johnsons are billionaires by any measure the problem is their net worth 4.5 B, most of it comes from the Jets themselves 3-4 B. Again these are Forbes numbers which are estimates at best.  

the proof is in the current spend 

it's all one year deals  - fans claim it's "smart to be frugal" 

meanwhile they are 25 mil under now with the potential to be 40 under after cutting Winters and Williamson 

the Johnsons leverage being the NY marketplace driving their team up to 6th overall in franchise value but they starve the roster and the coaching staff so they are 28th in power ratings. 

you realize what you are saying here is that someone with over 4 BILLION dollars is worried about whether he can afford 25 million dollars to keep his largest asset running at peak performance !?!?!?

(in regular person numbers that equates to someone with $40,000 spending $250 to keep his home in good shape)

dude ...  put down the peace pipe ... lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2020 at 6:18 AM, bla bla bla said:

I mean would you post a players stats who played with a 2nd and 3rd string QB all year? Idk what this conversation is really about just hopping into it haha but that seems like a perfectly rational reason.

Is that why Juju’s teammate who was an unheralded rookie had better stats last season?

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Is that why Juju’s teammate who was an unheralded rookie had better stats last season?

are you referring to Johnson or Washington?  because yards wise they both had more than Juju.  They also played 3 and 4 games more than him, respectively. juju had a 13.1 yd/r while johnson had 16.7 and washington 11.5

johnson also had 5 fumbles.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And Adams’ greatness has us at 16-32 during his career

they'd be alot worse without him 

19 hours ago, ljr said:

you realize what you are saying here is that someone with over 4 BILLION dollars is worried about whether he can afford 25 million dollars to keep his largest asset running at peak performance !?!?!?

(in regular person numbers that equates to someone with $40,000 spending $250 to keep his home in good shape)

dude ...  put down the peace pipe ... lol

the Johnson's don't have 4 billion dollars in a safe somewhere

they have assets that might be worth 4-5 billion 

Real Estate, Stock, Art etc. 

their biggest ASSET is the NY Jets. it's like 75% of their net worth (being generous with that estimate it could be 90%)

None of those capital assets are the same as cash. 

they don't get band aid money in the mail anymore, and haven't for 50 years

the Jets are both their biggest asset and their largest (only) major source of income. 

The Johnsons are Rich AF

they are not liquid enough to drop 25 million dollars on anything without a good long discussion.

This is why Woody Johnson remains rich. Capital keeps track of their in's and out's and doesn't pay for labor when they can help it. 

This has been a constant since the days of Egypt. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

What, like 14-34?  Who gives a sh*t?

And I'm still waiting for your response to this:

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@bitonti has yet to explain how 30 other teams choosing not to pay their 2017 first round picks yet somehow means the Jets are making a bad decision with Jamal Adams.

Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson haven't gotten their new deals yet.  Nor have other first round studs T.J. Watt, Myles Garrett, Tre'Davious White, Marlon Humphrey or OT Ryan Ramczyk.  I guess those orgs are all failing to do right by their superstars too.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:03 AM, bitonti said:

the Johnson's don't have 4 billion dollars in a safe somewhere

they have assets that might be worth 4-5 billion 

Real Estate, Stock, Art etc. 

their biggest ASSET is the NY Jets. it's like 75% of their net worth (being generous with that estimate it could be 90%)

None of those capital assets are the same as cash. 

they don't get band aid money in the mail anymore, and haven't for 50 years

the Jets are both their biggest asset and their largest (only) major source of income. 

The Johnsons are Rich AF

they are not liquid enough to drop 25 million dollars on anything without a good long discussion.

This is why Woody Johnson remains rich. Capital keeps track of their in's and out's and doesn't pay for labor when they can help it. 

This has been a constant since the days of Egypt. 

Jets are 16-32 with the greatest safety ever.  Define “a lot worse”

Don’t Woody and Chrissy still at least own a piece of Johnson & Johnon?

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Jets are 16-32 with the greatest safety ever.  Define “a lot worse”

Don’t Woody and Chrissy still at least own a piece of Johnson & Johnon?

Not really. They might own some stock or whatever but the Johnson family was bought out of J&J decades ago 

I suspect the Johnsons have more value in real estate than in J&J stock at this point but I'm not their accountant. either way - they are very wealthy but they are not cash rich

as for what would they be without 33 i've defined in before he's worth 2 wins per season

doesn't sound like much but it's the max a non-QB can deliver 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

as for what would they be without 33 i've defined in before he's worth 2 wins per season

doesn't sound like much but it's the max a non-QB can deliver 

Interesting, I didn't know that's how football worked...  If everyone on defense was as good as Jamal that would equate to 22 wins a season, and we haven't even added up the offensive players yet. I mean even if all the other lowly players on the team were only worth one quarter of a Jamal Adams that gets us to 12.5 wins.

No need to play the games, just add up how many wins each player is worth to the team and call it a day. 

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Interesting, I didn't know that's how football worked...  If everyone on defense was as good as Jamal that would equate to 22 wins a season 

I mean if everyone on defense were 2x All Pro 3 years into their rookie deal yeah they'd be pretty friggin good 

think about that for a second 

11 all pro's on defense, an all pro at every single starting position, and not just all pro's but guy's young enough to be on HOF track 

you said it not me 

Animated GIF

• Haha 1

I mean if everyone on defense were 2x All Pro 3 years into their rookie deal yeah they'd be pretty friggin good 

think about that for a second 

11 all pro's on defense, an all pro at every single starting position, and not just all pro's but guy's young enough to be on HOF track 

you said it not me 

I thought about it.... and I realized you really don't want to see Jamal go and that you live in fantasyland with him where he is the most valuable defensive player to ever play.;-)

You have been a good sport during his fall from grace though I'll give you that.

But....

He's not as good as you and he believe.

He's likely leaving one way or another.?

He's neither the hero we deserve nor need.

He doesn't love you like you love him.

Many of us see his  "value" as a player but don't like him, don't want to root for him, and can't wait for him to leave.

Please JD show him the door and say:

tenor.gif.1b216c6ddc245013b19d78739167adf2.gif

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

He's not as good as you and he believe.

He's likely leaving one way or another.?

He's neither the hero we deserve nor need.

He doesn't love you like you love him.

I don't love Jamal Adams

I hate watching the Jets lose games

So just for argument's sake you don't think a defense full of 11 2x All Pro's, all 24 years old would be good enough to win a SB? It would be a better defense than the 1985 bears

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't love Jamal Adams

Well the Jets have lost 32 of those while Jamal has been here.  And he hasn't won a thing in his life at any level.  So whatever positive viewpoint you have for Jamal is curious in that light, to say the least.  

I suppose we might have lost 34 in that span if Jamal was swapped for a replacement level Safety.  The horror.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well the Jets have lost 32 of those while Jamal has been here.  And he hasn't won a thing in his life at any level.  So whatever positive viewpoint you have for Jamal is curious in that light, to say the least.  

I suppose we might have lost 34 in that span if Jamal was swapped for a replacement level Safety.  The horror.

Agreed.  Look I understand there are fans of Jamal, I get it he is talented.  But let’s be honest he had never made an impact when it comes to wins he just hasn’t.  On top of that he is a diva and clearly doesn’t give a sh*t about the Jets...never has

I don't love Jamal Adams

So just for argument's sake you don't think a defense full of 11 2x All Pro's, all 24 years old would be good enough to win a SB? It would be a better defense than the 1985 bears

For arguments sake .... yes, a fully fictitious defense impossibly made up of 2x all pros all 24 years old would be "good enough" to win a Superbowl. 

Here in reality, where teams are actually built and resources are limited I'll take my expensive all pros at a position other than SS.

It would also be beneficial to me as a fan of the team if those all pros weren't giant gaping ***holes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  Look I understand there are fans of Jamal, I get it he is talented.  But let’s be honest he had never made an impact when it comes to wins he just hasn’t.  On top of that he is a diva and clearly doesn’t give a sh*t about the Jets...never has

revisionist history 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2 wins a year is 36 losses

it might not matter when you're 5-11 but the team doesn't get better pocketing the 16 mil per year. 

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

revisionist history 

2 wins a year is 36 losses

it might not matter when you're 5-11 but the team doesn't get better pocketing the 16 mil per year. 

How is it revisionist history?  I’ve always been neutral when it came to Adams.  I was never a huge fan but I know he is very talented and I was fine with resigning him as long as it’s not his ridiculous 20 million per year demands AND he shows more maturity as a team guy.  Sadly neither has happened so yes now I want him gone because he is gonna make life miserable for us.  However I think what I said is fair 

26 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

How is it revisionist history?  I’ve always been neutral when it came to Adams.  I was never a huge fan but I know he is very talented and I was fine with resigning him as long as it’s not his ridiculous 20 million per year demands AND he shows more maturity as a team guy.  Sadly neither has happened so yes now I want him gone because he is gonna make life miserable for us.  However I think what I said is fair 

The Honey Badger makes 14

Jamal asks for 20 

they split the difference at 17.5 

that's negotiation 

just because a player asks for 20 doesn't mean he expects 20 

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jamal asks for 20 

that's negotiation 

I think I like you Bit.;-)

You can cede a decent point and your not a completely irrational ***hole.

Although you do make up otherworldly hypotheticals at times. 

Here I believe you're right in some sense, I negotiate for a living (commercial real estate) and the game is always played a similar way: high ask followed by low-ball offer or vice versa. From there the dance to the middle ensues and the winner pulls the money slightly in favor of their position, unless one of the sides is a dupe in which case greater victory can be achieved.

One negotiating tactic which Team Adams seems to be trying to employ is an extremely high ask in order to shift where the middle ground lay. This effectively automatically increases the take on his side by superficially shifting the median upwards. 

If he is negotiating with a dupe this works as what may have been a 12 Mil offer is bumped to the Honey Badger's 14 number and the board is set in his favor with your median number $17.5.

On the other hand if he is working against a shrewd negotiator instead of the $12 Mil offer they shift down to 9.5 to make a point and shift the median below 15. At that point a bad taste is left in everyone's mouth and we wait for someone to blink. Generally the person with less leverage and more pain points blinks. The more effective side will look for those pain points and begin applying pressure.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

On the other hand if he is working against a shrewd negotiator instead of the $12 Mil offer they shift down to 9.5 to make a point and shift the median below 15. At that point a bad taste is left in everyone's mouth and we wait for someone to blink. Generally the person with less leverage and more pain points blinks. The more effective side will look for those pain points and begin applying pressure.

here's my honest question

is it (only) schrewd negotiating or is it (also) a lack of commitment from the buyer?

Top 5 in available cap space. Top 10 in franchise value. Top 30 in power rankings. 

Jamal asks for 20 

that's negotiation 

At this point it’s not about negotiation.  Once a player says he doesnt want to be here and even acts like he is a member of another team I don’t want him here Because he clearly doesn’t give a crap about the Jets.  That’s why the Ashtyn Davis pick turned out to be a really good Movie .  I rather use that money on the offense anyway.  

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

is it (only) schrewd negotiating or is it (also) a lack of commitment from the buyer?

Top 5 in available cap space. Top 10 in franchise value. Top 30 in power rankings. 

My honest answer would be that a lack of commitment up to the point of signature is a tactic to gain more favorable terms from a desperate party on the other side of the table. 

It is a flippant tactic that goes out the window at the point of signature (point of legal commitment). Generally in my experience parties who engage is such tactics are more prone to weaponize the terms of their agreements against each other.

Lack of commitment as a tactic is a sign of a poor business relationship imo, neither side wants to feel like their time is being wasted. Good business is built on good relationships

A tactics usefulness or shrewdness comes down to it's application. There is a level of gamesmanship to all negotiating. The parameters of the game need to be defined for each party before coming to the table, not to each other but to themselves. Are you going in as business partners looking to find mutual terms to your mutual benefit or are you enemies looking to achieve some sort of dominant victory?

In the Jamal situation, Jamal is the one showing lack of commitment with two years left on his deal. Jamal is forcing the negotiation at at time where he has no leverage and management holds the keys to all the pain points. Jamal is not coming into talks as a business partner, he's coming into it as an adversary with a lack of respect for the process and those people on the other side of the table.

In my opinion Jamal looks foolish from a business standpoint and ignorantly self centered on a personal level. Jamal is a headache from a previous regime who is negotiating in bad faith, JD should make an example of him and move on. Take a decent return on Jamal, an investment he didn't make, and get to building his team his way.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

You're avoiding the question in this thread, but why would Jamal get a deal that Mahomes can't even get? What incentive is there for the Jets to do this? He giving them a discount since it's early?

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2020 at 7:19 PM, DetroitRed said:

Yes, this aint Tanny

He had many fails, but Tannenbaum did put the poison pill in the Revis deal after already his second holdout (admittedly Tannenbaum wasn’t innocent on the first holdout, insisting on a 6 year deal that was out of place and ended up costing the team more in the end).

Anyway IIRC it stated if Revis holds out again then that kicks in an additional team option for 3 more years at $5MM/year. After the first 2 seasons of that new deal, Revis predictably wanted to hold out again, and insinuated as much in April that he might not show up. He did show up and play, as he had no choice, because of that contract. 

This is a totally different scenario for player and GM, as the balance of power and leverage bear no resemblance to each other. 

Douglas is in a far, far more comfortable situation this offseason. Under the circumstances I’d grudgingly have to admit Tannenbaum did a good job with Revis that summer. If Revis holds out the 2010 season without a new deal, it’s an optimistic guess that team even secures a WC spot, let alone comes so close to a SB.

• Sympathy 1

Touching more on the difference between Adams & Revis (and the situations their respective GMs were in in dealing with them).

Coming off an AFCCG appearance with no other major personnel losses, the Jets were SB contenders with Revis holding out in the 2010 offseason. He wasn’t merely an all pro the prior season; he was also a rare, true shutdown corner that effectively hid the lack of a serious edge rusher. With Revis the Jets were contenders; without Revis they weren’t. He was just jobbed for DPOY and had just about the best CB season of anyone in memory at his position. He eliminated the game’s best, otherwise-unstoppable WRs when they played us, typically on his island without safety help. Ultimately Revis was the most important, uniquely talented cog in the NFL’s #1 defense that made its team a serious contender. 

Jamal Adams has no such leverage, as the Jets have never posted even a winning record with Adams on the team. Yes he’s also coming off an all pro season in year 3 but that’s where the similarities stop as his was filled with many yeah-but’s: 

• the Mosley-less, Adams-led D collapsed against Buffalo week 1; 
  • then got convenient mulligans masking its 3 lousy non-Darnold performances in weeks 2-4;
  • then luckily played Dallas without Amari Cooper; 
  • then got lit for 25+ points four games in a row; 
  • then matched up against a rookie QB’s second NFL start;
  • then surrendering 22 pts and losing to a 13.6ppg Bengals offense;
  • then Adams himself then sits out a second game to conveniently miss the only game against a serious offensive opponent the Jets played from week 8 onward (and a matchup that may have humiliated the safety as he’d have been expected to have a prominent role against a running QB).

Summary: Adams helped himself personally more than he helped the team, and didn’t even play against the only second-half threats to his AP honors. Not exactly a parallel to Revis on the 2009 Jets.

Fast-forward to this offseason: no one in the league outside Jets fandom has serious expectations of the Jets contending in 2020 with or without Adams. In 2009 football wasn’t taking a back seat to (comparatively uneventful) offseason news from March through June, so that Revis holdout was center stage on Hard Knocks with people actually watching. Making his presence that much more valuable after 2009, due to a quirky CBA clause the 2010 team was also prevented from signing UFAs without losing any comparable ones because of its top-4 finish the prior season. They had to let their kicker go just so they could be allowed to sign Jason Taylor ffs. 

Unlike Revis vs. Tannenbaum, the player doesn’t have the GM over a barrel (and with his GM also the HC, owner, advertisers, and really the whole team and its fan base).

I hope you have enjoyed yet another unnecessarily long chapter of mine in The Pillars of the Jets.

• Upvote 2