Adams Asking Price Over $20 Million per Season?

Touching more on the difference between Adams & Revis (and the situations their respective GMs were in in dealing with them).
Coming off an AFCCG appearance with no other major personnel losses, the Jets were SB contenders with Revis holding out in the 2010 offseason. He wasn’t merely an all pro the prior season; he was also a rare, true shutdown corner that effectively hid the lack of a serious edge rusher. With Revis the Jets were contenders; without Revis they weren’t. He was just jobbed for DPOY and had just about the best CB season of anyone in memory at his position. He eliminated the game’s best, otherwise-unstoppable WRs when they played us, typically on his island without safety help. Ultimately Revis was the most important, uniquely talented cog in the NFL’s #1 defense that made its team a serious contender. 
Jamal Adams has no such leverage, as the Jets have never posted even a winning record with Adams on the team. Yes he’s also coming off an all pro season in year 3 but that’s where the similarities stop as his was filled with many yeah-but’s: 
  • the Mosley-less, Adams-led D collapsed against Buffalo week 1; 
  • then got convenient mulligans masking its 3 lousy non-Darnold performances in weeks 2-4;
  • then luckily played Dallas without Amari Cooper; 
  • then got lit for 25+ points four games in a row; 
  • then matched up against a rookie QB’s second NFL start;
  • then surrendering 22 pts and losing to a 13.6ppg Bengals offense;
  • then Adams himself then sits out a second game to conveniently miss the only game against a serious offensive opponent the Jets played from week 8 onward (and a matchup that may have humiliated the safety as he’d have been expected to have a prominent role against a running QB).
Summary: Adams helped himself personally more than he helped the team, and didn’t even play against the only second-half threats to his AP honors. Not exactly a parallel to Revis on the 2009 Jets.
Fast-forward to this offseason: no one in the league outside Jets fandom has serious expectations of the Jets contending in 2020 with or without Adams. In 2009 football wasn’t taking a back seat to (comparatively uneventful) offseason news from March through June, so that Revis holdout was center stage on Hard Knocks with people actually watching. Making his presence that much more valuable after 2009, due to a quirky CBA clause the 2010 team was also prevented from signing UFAs without losing any comparable ones because of its top-4 finish the prior season. They had to let their kicker go just so they could be allowed to sign Jason Taylor ffs. 
Unlike Revis vs. Tannenbaum, the player doesn’t have the GM over a barrel (and with his GM also the HC, owner, advertisers, and really the whole team and its fan base).
I hope you have enjoyed yet another unnecessarily long chapter of mine in The Pillars of the Jets.
Way to cherry pick the negatives and also make it a one man sport ... Bravo !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Honey Badger makes 14

Jamal asks for 20 

they split the difference at 17.5 

that's negotiation 

just because a player asks for 20 doesn't mean he expects 20 

sure.  After the 4th year of his 5-year contract, it can be changed.  After the 3rd year?  GFY, Jamal.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

here's my honest question

is it (only) schrewd negotiating or is it (also) a lack of commitment from the buyer?

Top 5 in available cap space. Top 10 in franchise value. Top 30 in power rankings. 

He's under contract for 2 more years.  That is the commitment.  Please.  If I'm JD, I tell him he has to play out year 4 and then he'll be extended.  Not now. I would not set that precedent lest I want all my future 1st rounders to do this Jamal act after year 3.  No way man.  If I'm JD, here's my note to Adams:

"Jamal, we want you to be a Jet for life.  We'll take care of you after the 2020 season, but not now, when you have 2 years left.  Unless you are a franchise QB, you are not getting a deal done two years before your contract is up.  Until then, have fun on social media dude.  Try watching some Bob Ross videos, it will calm you down for the next 8 months."

24 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Way to cherry pick the negatives and also make it a one man sport ... Bravo !

If Adams wants to make things all about him, then we as fans get to dissect his play and put responsibility on his shoulders to win us games.  It's only fair. 

After all, he wants to be paid like one of the game's top defenders.  The game's top defenders win games, and a lot of them.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He's under contract for 2 more years.  That is the commitment.  Please.  If I'm JD, I tell him he has to play out year 4 and then he'll be extended.  Not now. I would not set that precedent lest I want all my future 1st rounders to do this Jamal act after year 3.  No way man.  If I'm JD, here's my note to Adams:

"Jamal, we want you to be a Jet for life.  We'll take care of you after the 2020 season, but not now, when you have 2 years left.  Unless you are a franchise QB, you are not getting a deal done two years before your contract is up.  Until then, have fun on social media dude.  Try watching some Bob Ross videos, it will calm you down for the next 8 months."

yep.  there's the reality that the safety position just isn't worth that much and then there are uncertainties caused by the potential of reduced revenue and lower salary cap.  there is one reason to sign him now and that is if his salary is more in the 12 million range.  adams could give a substantial home town discount.  a little here and a little there and they should be able to reach a deal.  but i think it all depends if adams reports to camp and is ready to play.  if he holds out or sits out then he should be shipped out.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Adams wants to make things all about him, then we as fans get to dissect his play and put responsibility on his shoulders to win us games.  It's only fair. 

After all, he wants to be paid like one of the game's top defenders.  The game's top defenders win games, and a lot of them.  

Von Miller beat Brady and won a super bowl.  JJ Watt has carried teams to the playoffs 

Adams has carried us to a .333 winning percentage 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

here's my honest question

is it (only) schrewd negotiating or is it (also) a lack of commitment from the buyer?

Top 5 in available cap space. Top 10 in franchise value. Top 30 in power rankings. 

The problem is the cap is going to decrease next season by 20-30%

So he was supposed to throw50Tds last year with average at best receivers, no OL and missing 1/4 of the season?
I don't know I think the guy that touches the ball more than any other player on the team has more of an impact on the outcome of game than a incredible strong safety who just beasts all over the place.

somehow I think the record is more reflective of that guys performance not Jamal's.

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I don't know I think the guy that touches the ball more than any other player on the team has more of an impact on the outcome of game than a incredible strong safety who just beasts all over the place.

somehow I think the record is more reflective of that guys performance not Jamal's.

“Incredible strong safety”?  Lol

DBs who get that adjective usually get interceptions 

59 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The problem is the cap is going to decrease next season by 20-30%

link? 

Jets fans assume the league will make a unilateral decision that puts 28 teams over the cap instantly 

because it backs up the CONCLUSION Adams shouldn't be paid

i don't like working from a CONCLUSION and starting back from there. 

let's talk about the cap... Why would the league do that, exactly? And how will all those teams get under the new cap?

Not rhetorical.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

He's under contract for 2 more years.  That is the commitment. 

the problem with this logic is Adams contract would end right about the time Darnold's ends 

it's apparent they aren't going to pay both 

certainly not at the same time 

I suspect they don't pay either. 

Woody Johnson doesn't care. 

15 hours ago, Jets723 said:

At this point it’s not about negotiation.  Once a player says he doesnt want to be here and even acts like he is a member of another team I don’t want him here Because he clearly doesn’t give a crap about the Jets.  That’s why the Ashtyn Davis pick turned out to be a really good Movie .  I rather use that money on the offense anyway.  

Ashtyn Davis and Jamal Adams are completely different players 

Davis is the free safety the team didn't have.  He is a centerfielder who returns punts and can cover all the ground in the deep thirds. 

meanwhile Maye and Adams are both in the box safeties. Maye isn't actually any good by the way and it was foolish for Mac to go SS1 and SS2. Ludicrous draft strategy. Then they shoehorned Maye into FS.  

Adams is a protoypical $LB "dollar backer" to be specific like Deone Buchanon or the Honey Badger 

except he's better than both

Davis can play deep let's Adams get more sacks and more DTD and get his 3rd All Pro raising his price. 

He doesn't exist to replace Jamal Adams.

There is no obvious replacement for Jamal Adams. 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ashtyn Davis and Jamal Adams are completely different players 

Davis is the free safety the team didn't have.  He is a centerfielder who returns punts and can cover all the ground in the deep thirds. 

meanwhile Maye and Adams are both in the box safeties. Maye isn't actually any good by the way and it was foolish for Mac to go SS1 and SS2. Ludicrous draft strategy. Then they shoehorned Maye into FS.  

Adams is a protoypical $LB "dollar backer" to be specific like Deone Buchanon or the Honey Badger 

except he's better than both

Davis can play deep let's Adams get more sacks and more DTD and get his 3rd All Pro raising his price. 

He doesn't exist to replace Jamal Adams.

There is no obvious replacement for Jamal Adams. 

I know they are different but I still loved the pick.  But like I said I don’t want a player that has been so utterly disloyal and a headache.  I understand as a big fan of his you want him to stay I get that.  In a perfect world I wish he was more of a team player and would just focus on the upcoming season(whenever that it) but sadly that’s not reality 

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I know they are different but I still loved the pick.  But like I said I don’t want a player that has been so utterly disloyal and a headache.  I understand as a big fan of his you want him to stay I get that.  In a perfect world I wish he was more of a team player and would just focus on the upcoming season(whenever that it) but sadly that’s not reality 

Adams has shown the Jets the same about of loyalty as they've shown him 

I don't consider myself a fan of Adams or any of these players. I own jerseys of retired players like 99 and 73.

I just know the team will win more games with him than without him. 

also, it feels like every time a Jets player wants money the fan base turns on him.

like we are paying the money ourselves

The difference between what the Jets spend on the roster and what they are allowed to spend on the roster would fit all of Adams extension no problem. 

i've yet to hear a good explanation why cap space is more valuable than Adams. 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Adams has shown the Jets the same about of loyalty as they've shown him 

I don't consider myself a fan of Adams or any of these players. I own jerseys of retired players like 99 and 73.

I just know the team will win more games with him than without him. 

also, it feels like every time a Jets player wants money the fan base turns on him.

like we are paying the money ourselves

The difference between what the Jets spend on the roster and what they are allowed to spend on the roster would fit all of Adams extension no problem. 

i've yet to hear a good explanation why cap space is more valuable than Adams. 

We arent turning  On him because he wants money. Fans are turning on him because he is asking for a trade just because the Jets aren’t giving him a monster contract right this very instant when he still had 3 years of control.  He also  puts Himself over the team, posts videos of other teams players instead of his own teammates,  acts like he is a member of another team even though he is still a member of the Jets.  Not sure how you come to the conclusion that the Jets or the fans are the ones who are disloyal when it’s clearly Jamal.  But anyway agree to disagree I guess 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

just because the Jets aren’t giving him a monster contract right this very instant when he still had 3 years of control.  

it's called showing love

they have control over Jamal that's not the same as paying him

Jamal should be thankful for their control? 

Jets fans don't know how stars should be treated because we haven't had one since Revis 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's called showing love

Jets fans don't know how stars should be treated because we haven't had one since Revis 

Showing love?  How about Jamal shows some love or some loyalty to the Jets or the fan base.  I mean after the bullsh*t he had pulled why should the Jets all of sudden bend over and give him whatever he wants?  Also you can’t compare Adams to Revis lol.  Adams isn’t even close to being the type of player he was.  Revis could be a pain too when it came to contracts but he never did the things Jamal had done and he was obviously a superior player 

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

link? 

Jets fans assume the league will make a unilateral decision that puts 28 teams over the cap instantly 

because it backs up the CONCLUSION Adams shouldn't be paid

i don't like working from a CONCLUSION and starting back from there. 

let's talk about the cap... Why would the league do that, exactly? And how will all those teams get under the new cap?

Not rhetorical.  

the problem with this logic is Adams contract would end right about the time Darnold's ends 

it's apparent they aren't going to pay both 

certainly not at the same time 

I suspect they don't pay either. 

Woody Johnson doesn't care. 

Bit it’s simple math.  The cap is based on revenue if there is 0-20% gate receipts and almost no concessions being sold the cap is gonna go down by alot

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's called showing love

How about Jamal show the team and fans love instead of being a worse version of Porzingis 

On 6/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, Dunnie said:

Quantify this, please.  How does Jamal "beast" all over the place? 

And if your first/only stop is a Youtube highlight video, you're doing it wrong.

Is another team willing to pay Adams the 20 mil. The Jets will pay him competitive money. If he can only get a tops of 15 anywhere would he opt to stay here or does he really want out. I expect it's all about the money. Salaries before COVID were going up with more lucrative TV deals. The 20 mil in ordinary times might have been not so far out of the park as it looks now. If Adams was with New England they would let him walk. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Is another team willing to pay Adams the 20 mil. The Jets will pay him competitive money. If he can only get a tops of 15 anywhere would he opt to stay here or does he really want out. I expect it's all about the money. Salaries before COVID were going up with more lucrative TV deals. The 20 mil in ordinary times might have been not so far out of the park as it looks now. If Adams was with New England they would let him walk. 

No one else is paying him that kinda money not even the Cowboys with starf-cker Jerry