Actual Football Article, For Those Who Care ...

KRL

Great read.  

Personally, while I like the idea of the zone running game (due to all the reasons posted in the article) I believe Sam is significantly more talented then the Goff/Cousins of the world and we need to have more of a downfield passing attack then what SF runs. 

I would like to see Gase start to incorporate more of what KC does with RPO type plays because (and im not saying he is nearly as good as Mahomes) but Darnold has similar ability to improvise, throw on the run and get to his 2nd or 3rd read.  In addition, both Sam and Mahomes can throw when running to their left which is very rare and forces the defense to cover both sides of the field.  That is something Gase needs to be able to exploit.  

By incorporating more throws on the run that go down the field, it will then open up the back shoulder plays to get a few easy completions if the defense is worried about getting beat deep.

The thing that I worry about with Gase more then anything is that he seems to revert back to the plays he "likes" when the bullets are flying in-game.  Playcalling is an art more then a science - you need to have a feel for it and be able to process  information very quickly and the jury is still out as to whether or not Gase can be good at it.  

• Upvote 4

That's a good article. What's interesting about it for the Jets is it fits almost everything Gase seems to want to do, seems to perfectly fit Darnolds skill set, seems to be the type of Oline we're trying to build...

But Le'veon Bells style does not fit the type of back needed for that system. At all. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

I would love to see Travis Etienne next year running in this type of scheme for the Jets @sec101row23

I’ve been a big fan of Shanahan’s offense, especially his run game.  Travis is perfect for that offense, one cut and explodes, doesn’t dance around and can catch the ball well.  Shanahan runs outside the tackles as much as anyone and does an awesome job mixing up his looks.  Gase has been living between the tackles, maybe because of philosophy, maybe because of lack of personnel to run outside.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve been a big fan of Shanahan’s offense, especially his run game.  Travis is perfect for that offense, one cut and explodes, doesn’t dance around and can catch the ball well.  Shanahan runs outside the tackles as much as anyone and does an awesome job mixing up his looks.  Gase has been living between the tackles, maybe because of philosophy, maybe because of lack of personnel to run outside.   

I think the lack of outside runs had a lot to do with the lack of athleticism of our OTs.

• Upvote 1

Good read and I always dreaded playing them because of their execution and soundness to the system.   

AS for us, this year the OL has people that can play in a zone blocking system but the OL will need time to jell before its effective.  As others have commented, I have concerns about AG PC ability and his in game adjustments or lack there of.  In any event, he now seemly has the horses to execute his O, we'll see if he is a genius or a pretender...  personality, I think the later but I hope I am wrong.