2020 Belmont Stakes

Tomorrow a 12 race card including 6 stakes races will take place at Belmont Park featuring the 1 million dollar G1 Belmont Stakes. Unfortunately due to the virus the race has been cut down from 1 1/2 mile to 1 1/8 and has become the first, not last, leg of the triple crown. The field includes-

1: Tap It to Win, 6-1

2: Sole Volante, 9-2

3: Max Player, 15-1

4: Modernist, 15-1

5: Farmington Road, 15-1

6: Fore Left, 30-1

7: Jungle Runner, 50-1

8: Tiz the Law, 6-5

9: Dr Post, 5-1

10: Pneumatic, 8-1

The NY bred Tiz the Law is the obvious favorite and there are few scenarios I could think of where he loses. There is good value in exacta, tri and super wagering though. The only horses in this field that I would say don’t belong on any kind of ticket tomorrow is #6 Fore Left and #7 Jungle Runner. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Outside of the gambling aspect, can anyone explain to me why they still like horse racing in 2020?

Not trying to be a d*ck, I just don't get it.

It's not something I'm following everyday. But the stakes races are fun, especially if there is a horse going for the triple crown.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Outside of the gambling aspect, can anyone explain to me why they still like horse racing in 2020?

Not trying to be a d*ck, I just don't get it.

There’s something amazing about watching such amazing animals run, especially in person. Go to the track one day when all this blows over and you’ll understand. Pick up the Daily Racing Form, read the past performances, maybe throw down a few bucks and have some fun. 

• Upvote 2

Hast thou given the horse strength? hast thou clothed his neck with thunder?

Canst thou make him afraid as a grasshopper? the glory of his nostrils is terrible.

He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men.

He mocketh at fear, and is not affrighted; neither turneth he back from the sword.

The quiver rattleth against him, the glittering spear and the shield.

He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he that it is the sound of the trumpet.

He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha; and he smelleth the battle afar off, the thunder of the captains, and the shouting.

Truly amazing animals, and that Secretariat race is like watching perfection.

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2020 at 5:12 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

Hast thou given the horse strength? hast thou clothed his neck with thunder?

Canst thou make him afraid as a grasshopper? the glory of his nostrils is terrible.

He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men.

He mocketh at fear, and is not affrighted; neither turneth he back from the sword.

The quiver rattleth against him, the glittering spear and the shield.

He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he that it is the sound of the trumpet.

He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha; and he smelleth the battle afar off, the thunder of the captains, and the shouting.

Truly amazing animals, and that Secretariat race is like watching perfection.

Watching that performance again like when I was a 10 year old kid brought tears to my eyes. It was awe inspiring as a kid and is to this day! That horse was special and I doubt we’ll ever see another like it even with the highly specialized breeding and training  regiments of today. 

• Upvote 3