Sports Ranked by Difficulty

On 6/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Interesting.  What were the metrics they used to assess the difficulty of each?

Probably a combination of skill required and physical punishment 

The top 3 sports require both.  Baseball and soccer you could be a wuss like Bryce Harper and still be a star

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Interesting.  What were the metrics they used to assess the difficulty of each?

I'm not sure but they definitely took physicality into account, as boxing is ranked 1 and golf is 51.

They also took skill into account as ice hockey is ranked 2 over football 3, both tough sports but ice hockey is harder.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

They also took skill into account as ice hockey is ranked 2 over football 3, both tough sports but ice hockey is harder.

Absolutely agreed.  Physically exhausting, requires incredible coordination, and successfully stopping a hockey puck that isn't shot right at you is arguably the toughest thing to do in all of sports.

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2020 at 8:42 PM, Philc1 said:

Probably a combination of skill required and physical punishment 

The top 3 sports require both.  Baseball and soccer you could be a wuss like Bryce Harper and still be a star

Both require a tremendous amount of skill though. There's some innateness involved in both. I mean Messi was born with a gift, just like Pedro throwing mid 90's at 150lbs. Another reason for what makes football a great sport- its doors are open to all types of athletes.

• Upvote 2

1. Wrestling is a martial art

2. Boxing is a martial art

3. Surfing at 23 is ludicrous and should without question be top 2-3. If you consider martial arts a sport (which it isn't), it's 1 and it's not even remotely close. I don't think most people can even begin to understand the depth of levels of skill with surfing. Reality is anything that has a realistic chance of death every time you do it with just a minor slipup should be way higher on this list.

Basketball, football, and hockey being up above grappling is straight laughable and ignorant white dude-bro bullsh*t. There is a reason why a lot of the sports on this list you have to start out as a young kid to even have a chance at competing at the elite levels. Basketball harder than wrestling? **** outta here. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

1. Wrestling is a martial art

2. Boxing is a martial art

3. Surfing at 23 is ludicrous and should without question be top 2-3. Martial arts is 1 and it's not even remotely close. I don't think most people can even begin to understand the depth of levels of skill with surfing. Reality is anything that has a realistic chance of death every time you do it with just a minor slipup should be way higher on this list.

Basketball, football, and hockey being up above grappling is straight laughable white dude-bro bullsh*t. There is a reason why a lot of the sports on this list you have to start out as a young kid to even have a chance at competing at the elite levels. Basketball harder than wrestling? **** outta here. 

The Rock was a champion wrestler and could never make the pros in football.  Therefore, football is harder than wrestling.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

3. Surfing at 23 is ludicrous and should without question be top 2-3. If you consider martial arts a sport (which it isn't), it's 1 and it's not even remotely close. I don't think most people can even begin to understand the depth of levels of skill with surfing. Reality is anything that has a realistic chance of death every time you do it with just a minor slipup should be way higher on this list.

Dammit why'd you have to send up the @JiF bat signal?

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dammit why'd you have to send up the @JiF bat signal?

If we're including sports like surfing there is absolutely no way surfing is behind skiing or skating or board sport for that matter.  The paddle out (duck diving), paddling to catch the wave, catching the wave, understanding the timing of standing, standing, and understanding how to actual ride a wave?  Not even a comparison.  No wave is the same.  Riding a barrell?  Most incredible experience in sports you can find and the level of difficulty is absolutely insane oh and btw, if you **** up...look out, you'll get folded up like a lawn chair.

Did I ever mention Kelly Slater is the greatest athlete in the history of competitive sports?

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2020 at 4:14 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Go to Costco and get yourself a foam long board, then go try to surf a 2-foot wave for a few hours. Then come back and try to fathom a human being actually doing this

Garrett-McNamara-Banner.jpg

I’ve body surfed bigger than that!ocean surf GIF

All joking aside.....

I remember watching that and I was scared to death for that guy! Can you imagine having the balls to go out looking for a wave like that?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2020 at 9:05 AM, Matt39 said:

Both require a tremendous amount of skill though. There's some innateness involved in both. I mean Messi was born with a gift, just like Pedro throwing mid 90's at 150lbs. Another reason for what makes football a great sport- it's doors open to all types of athletes.

Most high school football teams don’t even cut players.  

On 6/25/2020 at 1:53 PM, TeddEY said:

The Rock was a champion wrestler and could never make the pros in football.  Therefore, football is harder than wrestling.

The Rock was actually a good player at Miami and probably would have been a mid to late round NFL draft pick but got injured his senior year.  He ended up playing CFL before going into the family business wrestling

On 6/25/2020 at 4:14 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Go to Costco and get yourself a foam long board, then go try to surf a 2-foot wave for a few hours. Then come back and try to fathom a human being actually doing this

Garrett-McNamara-Banner.jpg

Why don’t you put on skates and grab a hockey stick? You probably couldn’t take two strides before falling on your face. No offense but you’re clearly biased towards martial arts and surfing. Not that I’m saying they aren’t extremely difficult because I know they are. Stop acting like you’re better than everyone else because you like surfing and martial arts. Bottom line is that you have be insanely good at any sport to be a pro or an Olympian and we can argue all day about what sports are hardest.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Why don’t you put on skates and grab a hockey stick? You probably couldn’t take two strides before falling on your face. No offense but you’re clearly biased towards martial arts and surfing. Not that I’m saying they aren’t extremely difficult because I know they are. Stop acting like you’re better than everyone else because you like surfing and martial arts. Bottom line is that you have be insanely good at any sport to be a pro or an Olympian and we can argue all day about what sports are hardest.  

Good idea. I’ll go put on some skates and try to skate around with a stick against Ovechkin. You go put on 4 oz gloves and get in a cage with Francis Ngannou and then we can compare to see which of us had it harder.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good idea. I’ll go put on some skates and try to skate around with a stick against Ovechkin. You go put on 4 oz gloves and get in a cage with Francis Ngannou and then we can compare to see which of us had it harder.

I’d get my face beat in and you wouldn’t even touch the puck. We’d do equally as bad. 

• Haha 1

Having said that, boxing at number 1 is fair. It combines every aspect of competitive sport: power, speed, strategy, mental toughness, precision, and stamina in relatively large proportions.

Most other sports can over-emphasize one or two aspects, like football - less brain and more brawn.

Whole thing is subjective

Those with a gift specifically for it? Easy 

Those not? Not so easy

Some personal points:

baseball: Easy until you see your first curve, then it gets really hard. As Jimmy D. said, it's suppossed to be hard, otherwise anyone could do it

hockey: Easy until you play against your first Canadian. Totally different game

football: Easy if you are a physical freak. Hard if not. Period, 

golf: Virtually impossible. Invented by demons to torture humans. Fun to drive the golf carts though.

lacrosse: HARD ever try? It as the same season in high school so if you played baseball you didn't play lacrosse. If they gave you a stick and you tried to do anything with the ball it is HARD. Plus, at least they way they played it on LI was tougher than anything. You'd be in the lockeroom after practice and baseball guys would be talking about great plays or tough pitchers. These guys talked about what legs they broke.  Yeesh. 

All in all silly to even rank these but it is interesting to note:

speed sking is harder than figure skating (which looks impossible to me) 

tennis is so high on the list

baseball and softball is thought of as the same sport which shows that the ranker is ignorant of either

auto racing so far down? Also ignorant. To control a car at those speeds with that precision is HARD. Plus stock car and open wheel are completely different

cheerleading? uh .... 

• Upvote 1

These things are literally impossible to gauge in any way.

It's not difficult to learn the basics of most sports - to participate in some way. To reach the top level there's any amount of factors. In American sports, particularly Football and Basketball there's a huge emphasis on athleticism. Probably doesn't matter how much you train or technically improve - if you're 5' 4" you're probably not gonna make it. In a sport like soccer you can be slow, small and weak so long as you can compensate with skill. Hard to gauge which is harder to attain given one often comes genetically.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, The Crimson King said:

auto racing so far down? Also ignorant. To control a car at those speeds with that precision is HARD. Plus stock car and open wheel are completely different

cheerleading? uh .... 

I was surprised that I didn't see motocross.  I remember in the 80's there was some test that found it was one of the most difficult as far as cardio-vascular goes.  I thought about getting back into it and doing some masters just to get back in shape, but with the jumps they take now, every fall would be a broken collarbone.  Even with a goal of lapping at the back of the field it was too dangerous for me.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ridiculous list.  They have fishing at #60 when it should be at #1.

If you're struggling with a 300 lb. marlin in the topsy turvy open Atlantic then maybe.

But if you're like most of us it's actually not even called Fishing, it's called Waiting.

As for my list...

1. Bull fighting

100.  Rock, Paper, Scissors