Jetsfan80

Top 10 concerts in your lifetime

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A few weeks ago, I posted a thread asking you for to pick your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time.  That went well, so today I'd like to find out everyone's top 10 favorite concerts in their lifetimes.  

One request:  If you're including a music festival, that's fine.  Just pick out up to 3 artists from that festival, don't just say "Bonnaroo" or "Austin City Limits".  

Here are mine:

1. The Rolling Stones (Raleigh, NC - 2015)
  2. AC/DC (Greensboro, NC - 2009)
  3. Stone Temple Pilots (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2009)
  4. Megadeth (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2013)
  5. Metallica (Atlanta - 2017)
  6. Disturbed (Washington D.C. - 2019)
  7. The Eagles (Nashville - 2013)
  8. KISS and Mötley Crüe (Raleigh, NC - 2012)
  9. Foreigner (Raleigh, NC - 2017)
  10. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Madison Square Garden - 2000)

Honorable mention: 

• Snoop Dogg (Wilmington, NC - 2016)
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd (Wilmington, NC - 2013)
  • Van Halen (Raleigh, NC - 2015)  

David Lee Roth was not good, unfortunately, which keeps Van Halen off the list.  But Eddie killed it as per usual.

If Foreigner is in your list... you got to get out more.  Original Bass player is from Brentwood LI and lived next to my best friend.  Saw them after the 1st album, went back stage etc. Neat experience for a 16 year old.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?  They put on a great show.  A lot of groups struggle to keep their quality up after 40 years.  They sounded like they were in their primes.  Even if they're far from being one of my favorite groups, quality of performance means a lot when I'm paying good money for a show.

Van Halen is a far better group, but the show sucked because David Lee Roth has lost his fastball, and spent most of the show wandering around on stage, barely bothering to sing all the vocals, and then spending way too much time in between songs telling inane stories that weren't interesting or entertaining.  It's a shame, because Eddie was on point like always.

Foreigner isn’t even Foreigner without Lou Gramm. like Loverboy and other bands, they were packaged in the late 1970s.  I like them. saw them live many times but they are not in my view a classic band.  they are in a class with REO Speedwagon. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

So hard to answer because I've seen my favorite lives performers numerous times.  So not sure I can pin down which show exactly because so many factors would play in; who, when, where, etc, not necessarily I think this was their "best" show.  So I'll answer it with the best live performers I've seen and not necessarily the show. 

Rage Against the Machine

Beastie Boys

Pearl Jam

Janes Addiction

Allman Brothers

Widespread Panic

Tom Petty

Social Distortion

The Pixies

David Byrne

I like the approach ... for me,

David Bowie 1978 heroes Tour  MSG

RUSH 1979 in Palladium NYC

ELP with full orchestra 1977  MSG

Black Sabbath with Van Halen as opening act 1978

Phil Collins Jones Beach

Steely Dan Jones Beach

Don Henley Jones Beach 

Saw The Stones  and Who Outdoors ... 

One of my favorite experiences was a Lyle Lovett show where he addressed me in the audience and took a request. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sorry, can't hop in a time machine and head back to the 70s.

I only really started going to concerts when I got out of college (2008).  So I think my list is decent for only 12 years' worth of shows.  

Interesting tidbit. Ed Gagliardi, Brentood HS, about 10 years older than me was the bassist of Foreigner for first 2 albums. Was hired by responding to an ad in the village voice. Reason he was hired, so he tells us (RIP) was he was left handed and it gave a nice presentation on the stage. 

• Upvote 1

Forgot ...  I saw Rush for the (umpteenth time) with VIP passes.  Forget meet and greet, we had wine with the band before the general meet and greet.     Got to the arena in Charlotte at about 2pm , watched the stage get built, Met Alex and Geddy well before the show and for me, the most incredible experience was the sound check.  They played, Subdivisions, Presto and I can't remember the third BUT it was so loud and there were only about 15 of us sitting in the 10th row.  Saw Neils motorcycle amongst the trucks but NO Neil. 

We were told..  during the sound check and when the band was present, you touch your phone, your gone.  They control the photo's of the guys. Very impressive.  Tale all the photo's you want but never of the band before the show we were told.

Ive attached a few photos taken on/near the stage at about 4pm. 

SDC12096.JPG

SDC12115.JPG

SDC12135.JPG

SDC12099.JPG

SDC12114.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Think I've mentioned these before.   Three concerts/gigs that I still don't believe I attended:  

Joe Pass/Oscar Peterson/Count Basie Band/Ella Fitzgerald, Carnegie Hall, 1976  It was all that you could possibly imagine.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Village Gate, 70s  Show started at like 11PM and the legendary jazz great was incredible.  Got to really see him playing three saxophones at once.

David Murray Big Band, Sweet Basil, 1984  Featured Butch Morris "conducting".

I would kill to see Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson etc.... lucky you. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

My top ten would probably be these:

Acid Reign (Drogheda, 1990)
Kreator (Dublin, 1990)
Judas Priest (Dublin, 1991)
Megadeth (Dublin, 1991)
Nuclear Assault (NYC, 2002)
Killfest - Overkill / Forbidden / Gama Bomb (Patchogue, 2010)
Helloween / Rage (London, 2016)
Sabaton / Alestorm (Dublin, 2016)
Metal Church (Dublin, 2017)
Bay Strikes Back - Testament / Exodus / Death Angel (Dublin,  2020)

Talk about tough narrowing it down.

Our musical tastes are so different.. I have only heard of one band on your list.  JP.

I assume these are all Heavy Metal types?

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You hadn't heard of Megadeth before?

Maybe but If they covered a John Coltrane piece I’m sure I’d listen.  😂

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, slowmoe57 said:

So many t go thru

in no particular order

1- Pink Floyd - The Wall 1980 Nassau Coliseum (note Roger Waters doing it again 30 years later was just as impressive)

2 Kansas 1979 Point of No Return tour (one of the most underated bands ever)

3 Iron Maiden 2010 Houston TX - 1st time seeing them in 27 years thought they would be a shell of what they once were, they blew me away

4 Rush - countless times but the best 1981 3rd row Coliseum

5 Rainbow - 1978 with Dio — AC/DC opened and were bood off the stage. Blackmore was incredible. 

6 Kiss 1977 MSG 1st concert ever — 

7 Foghat - 1977 Commack Arena - 2nd concert and 1st time smoking weed. Listen to Foghat Live and that is pretty much the show we saw.(it was recorded 1 week before my show)

8 Yes -  Countless times but the 90125 was the best for me.

9 Dixie Dregs 1982 Somme dinner theater on Long Island — just incredible

10 Van Halen F.U.C.K tour — with Hagar — was perfect from beginning to end.

I may have been at that show....  Permanent Waves tour. I sat 3rd row also. Were the Good Rats the opening act??  

32 minutes ago, slowmoe57 said:

I was at a show with the Rats opening. But I think that was 79 as I was in High School still. That was my 1st Rush show. 

That may be right but I believe it was early 1980.....  Permanent Waves tour.  Ive seen Rush MANY times....  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company