Jetsfan80

Top 10 concerts in your lifetime

A few weeks ago, I posted a thread asking you for to pick your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time.  That went well, so today I'd like to find out everyone's top 10 favorite concerts in their lifetimes.  

One request:  If you're including a music festival, that's fine.  Just pick out up to 3 artists from that festival, don't just say "Bonnaroo" or "Austin City Limits".  

Here are mine:

1. The Rolling Stones (Raleigh, NC - 2015)
  2. AC/DC (Greensboro, NC - 2009)
  3. Stone Temple Pilots (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2009)
  4. Megadeth (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2013)
  5. Metallica (Atlanta - 2017)
  6. Disturbed (Washington D.C. - 2019)
  7. The Eagles (Nashville - 2013)
  8. KISS and Mötley Crüe (Raleigh, NC - 2012)
  9. Foreigner (Raleigh, NC - 2017)
  10. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Madison Square Garden - 2000)

Honorable mention: 

• Snoop Dogg (Wilmington, NC - 2016)
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd (Wilmington, NC - 2013)
  • Van Halen (Raleigh, NC - 2015)  

David Lee Roth was not good, unfortunately, which keeps Van Halen off the list.  But Eddie killed it as per usual.

• Upvote 1

Video from some of these shows (not taken by me):

The Rolling Stones (Raleigh, NC - 2015)

AC/DC (Greensboro, NC - 2009)

Megadeth (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2013)

Metallica (Atlanta - 2017)

Disturbed (Washington, D.C. - 2019)

The Eagles (Nashville, TN - 2013)

KISS and Mötley Crüe (Raleigh, NC - 2012)

Foreigner (Raleigh, NC - 2017)

Snoop Dogg (Wilmington, NC - 2016)

Lynyrd Skynyrd (Wilmington, NC - 2013)

Van Halen (Raleigh, NC - 2015)  

Totally impossible to recall and list all the shows I've been to but a few stick out.

Springsteen - September 2012 at Wrigley Field (elbows on the stage right in front of the microphone)

System of a Down - May 2005 at Irving Plaza

Green Day - September 2005 at Giants Stadium (in the pit)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A few weeks ago, I posted a thread asking you for to pick your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time.  That went well, so today I'd like to find out everyone's top 10 favorite concerts in their lifetimes.  

One request:  If you're including a music festival, that's fine.  Just pick out up to 3 artists from that festival, don't just say "Bonnaroo" or "Austin City Limits".  

Here are mine:

1. The Rolling Stones (Raleigh, NC - 2015)
  2. AC/DC (Greensboro, NC - 2009)
  3. Stone Temple Pilots (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2009)
  4. Megadeth (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2013)
  5. Metallica (Atlanta - 2017)
  6. Disturbed (Washington D.C. - 2019)
  7. The Eagles (Nashville - 2013)
  8. KISS and Mötley Crüe (Raleigh, NC - 2012)
  9. Foreigner (Raleigh, NC - 2017)
  10. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Madison Square Garden - 2000)

Honorable mention: 

• Snoop Dogg (Wilmington, NC - 2016)
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd (Wilmington, NC - 2013)
  • Van Halen (Raleigh, NC - 2015)  

David Lee Roth was not good, unfortunately, which keeps Van Halen off the list.  But Eddie killed it as per usual.

If Foreigner is in your list... you got to get out more.  Original Bass player is from Brentwood LI and lived next to my best friend.  Saw them after the 1st album, went back stage etc. Neat experience for a 16 year old.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

If Foreigner is in your list... you got to get out more.  

Why?  They put on a great show.  A lot of groups struggle to keep their quality up after 40 years.  They sounded like they were in their primes.  Even if they're far from being one of my favorite groups, quality of performance means a lot when I'm paying good money for a show.

Van Halen is a far better group, but the show sucked because David Lee Roth has lost his fastball, and spent most of the show wandering around on stage, barely bothering to sing all the vocals, and then spending way too much time in between songs telling inane stories that weren't interesting or entertaining.  It's a shame, because Eddie was on point like always.

10? Why not 40?

ok in no particular order :

1. gorguts- some bar in amityville. 20 people. They drove down from montreal and delivered. For 20 fans

2. Iron maiden- nassau coleseum 1986

3. Dumpstafunk- wanee fest doing the led zep 2 hr show

4. metallica- rio theater 100 fans kill em all

5. slayer- any show

6. peter gabriel - jones beach

7. king crimson- thrak- beacon?

8. Allmans- any

9. dead - any

10. sts9  - hulaween

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warmbrother said:

10? Why not 40?

ok in no particular order :

1. gorguts- some bar in amityville. 20 people. They drove down from montreal and delivered. For 20 fans

2. Iron maiden- nassau coleseum 1986

3. Dumpstafunk- wanee fest doing the led zep 2 hr show

4. metallica- rio theater 100 fans kill em all

5. slayer- any show

6. peter gabriel - jones beach

7. king crimson- thrak- beacon?

8. Allmans- any

9. dead - any

10. sts9  - hulaween

10 forces you to make tough decisions!

Great list.  I'm very jealous you got to see Metallica before Cliff Burton died.

So hard to answer because I've seen my favorite lives performers numerous times.  So not sure I can pin down which show exactly because so many factors would play in; who, when, where, etc, not necessarily I think this was their "best" show.  So I'll answer it with the best live performers I've seen and not necessarily the show. 

Rage Against the Machine

Beastie Boys

Pearl Jam

Janes Addiction

Allman Brothers

Widespread Panic

Tom Petty

Social Distortion

The Pixies

David Byrne

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?  They put on a great show.  A lot of groups struggle to keep their quality up after 40 years.  They sounded like they were in their primes.  Even if they're far from being one of my favorite groups, quality of performance means a lot when I'm paying good money for a show.

Van Halen is a far better group, but the show sucked because David Lee Roth has lost his fastball, and spent most of the show wandering around on stage, barely bothering to sing all the vocals, and then spending way too much time in between songs telling inane stories that weren't interesting or entertaining.  It's a shame, because Eddie was on point like always.

Foreigner isn’t even Foreigner without Lou Gramm. like Loverboy and other bands, they were packaged in the late 1970s.  I like them. saw them live many times but they are not in my view a classic band.  they are in a class with REO Speedwagon. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

So hard to answer because I've seen my favorite lives performers numerous times.  So not sure I can pin down which show exactly because so many factors would play in; who, when, where, etc, not necessarily I think this was their "best" show.  So I'll answer it with the best live performers I've seen and not necessarily the show. 

Rage Against the Machine

Beastie Boys

Pearl Jam

Janes Addiction

Allman Brothers

Widespread Panic

Tom Petty

Social Distortion

The Pixies

David Byrne

I like the approach ... for me,

David Bowie 1978 heroes Tour  MSG

RUSH 1979 in Palladium NYC

ELP with full orchestra 1977  MSG

Black Sabbath with Van Halen as opening act 1978

Phil Collins Jones Beach

Steely Dan Jones Beach

Don Henley Jones Beach 

Saw The Stones  and Who Outdoors ... 

One of my favorite experiences was a Lyle Lovett show where he addressed me in the audience and took a request. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Foreigner isn’t even Foreigner without Lou Gramm. like Loverboy and other bands, they were packaged in the late 1970s.  I like them. saw them live many times but they are not in my view a classic band.  they are in a class with REO Speedwagon. 

Sorry, can't hop in a time machine and head back to the 70s.

I only really started going to concerts when I got out of college (2008).  So I think my list is decent for only 12 years' worth of shows.  

• Haha 1

Not sure if I can order them or even recall some of them but here are a few.

- Aerosmith with a lesser known band named AC/DC opening for them.

- April Wine with a lesser known band named Heart opening for them.

- The Moody Blues with a newer artist named Steve Ray Vaughn opening for them.

- The Rolling Stones VooDoo lounge was a great concert and I am not a huge Stones fan.

- I've seen a number of good concerts from some of my favourites, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, Gordon Lightfoot, Crowded House

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sorry, can't hop in a time machine and head back to the 70s.

I only really started going to concerts when I got out of college (2008).  So I think my list is decent for only 12 years' worth of shows.  

Interesting tidbit. Ed Gagliardi, Brentood HS, about 10 years older than me was the bassist of Foreigner for first 2 albums. Was hired by responding to an ad in the village voice. Reason he was hired, so he tells us (RIP) was he was left handed and it gave a nice presentation on the stage. 

• Upvote 1

Too many to list or put into any coherent order.  Mostly as I was incoherent for many of these dates.  Here's a smattering, most from the 70s and early 80s.

Led Zeppelin at MSG (twice)

The Who at MSG (twice)

Yes at MSG and Roosevelt Stadium in NJ

Queen/Mott the Hoople, Uris Theater, NYC.  Queen's first tour and the first rock concert on Broadway.

Bowie, MSG

Uriah Heep, Rochester War Memorial

Van Halen/Black Sabbath, MSG  Van Halen's first tour.

Ramones, CBGBs

The Clash, Bond's Disco  Infamous gig.

Elvis and the Attractions, NYC (can't remember the venue.)

Allmans, Beacon Theatre

Neil Young’s Bridge School Benefit Concert at Shoreline Amphitheatre with Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Neil, and many guests.

• Upvote 2

Forgot a few good ones:

Angel/Rush/ZZ Top (in that order), Syracuse War Memorial (1976?)

Harry Chapin, Brooklyn College

Prince, twice in the 80s at MSG

EDIT:  Kiss, LI Coliseum (New Year's Eve 1975)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

If Foreigner is in your list... you got to get out more.  Original Bass player is from Brentwood LI and lived next to my best friend.  Saw them after the 1st album, went back stage etc. Neat experience for a 16 year old.

I saw them on that tour. at my college.  Very professional show.  Lou Gramm was insanely good on vocals.

We couldn't believe Ian McDonald was with them.   Very cool that you knew Ed Gagliardi.

• Upvote 1

10 is a lot to list. There have been soooo many over the years. What immediately comes to mind is the top two and they occurred in the same place only one month apart;

Summer 1973; Shaeffer Music Festival (or maybe Dr, Pepper Music Festival by then)

King Crimson on the Lark's Tongue's tour. First look at Fripp. Bruford, Wetton, and Cross maybe three rows in front of them as the sun sets behind them while suitably "enhanced" as the time dictated. 

Then one month later, on the day my world changed forever at the same place. Mahavishnu Orchestra taping From Nothingness to Eternity, sitting so close that's me yelling "Yeah!" at the begining of Trilogy.

Not willing to rank others but a few come to mind as candidates:

ELP at MSG for the Tarkus tour. First time my brain was scrambled by Mr. Moog (it never recovered)

Miles opening for BS&T at MSG in '70 not only blew our minds but resulted in a funny story that happened later that summer

RTF after DiMeola joined them

Ponty with Alan Holdsworth in the band at the Academy of Music

Tower of Power very early on at My Father's Place, heck TOP live anytine in any era

Genesis at the Felt Forum for the Selling England Tour

Steve Vai at the Town Hall or maybe G3 when it was Satriani, Vai and Petrucci

Brand X, back then and to this day

sooo many more to think of this could be a different list tomorrow, except those first two. both of which and I am going to again as soon as I meet the guy who invents the time machine

• Like 1

Forgot ...  I saw Rush for the (umpteenth time) with VIP passes.  Forget meet and greet, we had wine with the band before the general meet and greet.     Got to the arena in Charlotte at about 2pm , watched the stage get built, Met Alex and Geddy well before the show and for me, the most incredible experience was the sound check.  They played, Subdivisions, Presto and I can't remember the third BUT it was so loud and there were only about 15 of us sitting in the 10th row.  Saw Neils motorcycle amongst the trucks but NO Neil. 

We were told..  during the sound check and when the band was present, you touch your phone, your gone.  They control the photo's of the guys. Very impressive.  Tale all the photo's you want but never of the band before the show we were told.

Ive attached a few photos taken on/near the stage at about 4pm. 

SDC12096.JPG

SDC12115.JPG

SDC12135.JPG

SDC12099.JPG

SDC12114.JPG

• Like 1

@Klecko73isGod

found this from the PJ show we saw together, this was shortly after Tom's passing.  

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I like the approach ... for me,

David Bowie 1978 heroes Tour  MSG

RUSH 1979 in Palladium NYC

ELP with full orchestra 1977  MSG

Black Sabbath with Van Halen as opening act 1978

Phil Collins Jones Beach

Steely Dan Jones Beach

Don Henley Jones Beach 

Saw The Stones  and Who Outdoors ... 

One of my favorite experiences was a Lyle Lovett show where he addressed me in the audience and took a request. 

So jealous of Bowie and Black Sabbath...

• Upvote 1

Think I've mentioned these before.   Three concerts/gigs that I still don't believe I attended:  

Joe Pass/Oscar Peterson/Count Basie Band/Ella Fitzgerald, Carnegie Hall, 1976  It was all that you could possibly imagine.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Village Gate, 70s  Show started at like 11PM and the legendary jazz great was incredible.  Got to really see him playing three saxophones at once.

David Murray Big Band, Sweet Basil, 1984  Featured Butch Morris "conducting".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Think I've mentioned these before.   Three concerts/gigs that I still don't believe I attended:  

Joe Pass/Oscar Peterson/Count Basie Band/Ella Fitzgerald, Carnegie Hall, 1976  It was all that you could possibly imagine.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Village Gate, 70s  Show started at like 11PM and the legendary jazz great was incredible.  Got to really see him playing three saxophones at once.

David Murray Big Band, Sweet Basil, 1984  Featured Butch Morris "conducting".

I would kill to see Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson etc.... lucky you. 

• Upvote 1

1. The Who and the Clash, Shea, October 1982.

2. Billy Joel closing Shea with Paul McCartney, Tony Bennett, Garth Brooks, Roger Daltrey and sadly and unfortunately Steven Tyler, JUly 2008

3. 9/11 concert at MSG, 2001.

4. U2 at Pier 84, 1983

5. Black and Blue Tour, MSG, Black Sabbath with Dio and Blue Oyster Cult, 1981.

• Upvote 1

Two concerts that I missed that I would have loved to see that my 1 yr older sister got to see:

Beatles at Shea

Monkees at Forest Hills (Monkess you say? Well not for them but the opening act would have been interesting. Jimi's first(?) US tour as The Experience)

The first one she didn't much enjoy. Sat in the Upper Deck and couldn't hear the band over the screaming. Second one she liked except "some loud band that just made noise" played first.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

The first one she didn't much enjoy. Sat in the Upper Deck and couldn't hear the band over the screaming. 

The band couldn't even hear themselves play.  Ringo had to figure out the beat the others were playing on by watching Paul McCartney shake his hips, lol.

The speaker system they had available to use that night, evidently, was ridiculously subpar.  

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Two concerts that I missed that I would have loved to see that my 1 yr older sister got to see:

Beatles at Shea

Monkees at Forest Hills (Monkess you say? Well not for them but the opening act would have been interesting. Jimi's first(?) US tour as The Experience)

The first one she didn't much enjoy. Sat in the Upper Deck and couldn't hear the band over the screaming. Second one she liked except "some loud band that just made noise" played first.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The band couldn't even hear themselves play.  Ringo had to figure out the beat the others were playing on by watching Paul McCartney shake his hips, lol.

The speaker system they had available to use that night, evidently, was ridiculously subpar.  

• Upvote 1

My top ten would probably be these:

Acid Reign (Drogheda, 1990)
Kreator (Dublin, 1990)
Judas Priest (Dublin, 1991)
Megadeth (Dublin, 1991)
Nuclear Assault (NYC, 2002)
Killfest - Overkill / Forbidden / Gama Bomb (Patchogue, 2010)
Helloween / Rage (London, 2016)
Sabaton / Alestorm (Dublin, 2016)
Metal Church (Dublin, 2017)
Bay Strikes Back - Testament / Exodus / Death Angel (Dublin,  2020)

Talk about tough narrowing it down.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Kreator (Dublin, 1990)
Megadeth (Dublin, 1991)

Priest is always a fun show, don't take themselves terribly seriously, and that really works. Wish they played more "Point of Entry" last time around though. 

1 hour ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Kreator (Dublin, 1990)
Megadeth (Dublin, 1991)

Our musical tastes are so different.. I have only heard of one band on your list.  JP.

I assume these are all Heavy Metal types?

11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Our musical tastes are so different.. I have only heard of one band on your list.  JP.

I assume these are all Heavy Metal types?

You hadn't heard of Megadeth before?

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You hadn't heard of Megadeth before?

Maybe but If they covered a John Coltrane piece I’m sure I’d listen.  😂

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Maybe but If they covered a John Coltrane piece I’m sure I’d listen.  😂

And Dave Mustaine definitely has a jazzy, smooth-as-silk vocal quality for sure.  lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Priest is always a fun show, don't take themselves terribly seriously, and that really works. Wish they played more "Point of Entry" last time around though. 

I've seen them a few times, but the last time (IZOD Center in 2014) was a bit disappointing. They were good, and I dunno if it's the difference between the US market and the European market, but the one thing that stood out was they didn't play Painkiller. Couldn't believe it. 

• Upvote 1