No Reason for Jets to Cave to Adams Desires

Joe Douglas

It’s been one of the worst kept secrets in the NFL, but now Jets safety Jamal Adams confirmed it for those who have had their heads buried in the sand for several months now, and more specifically since the NFL trade deadline.

“Hey, you coming to Dallas?”

Jamal Adams: “I’m trying, bro.”

(via @JaksonVelasquez)pic.twitter.com/OsSrNsHbXN

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) June 22, 2020

In a video posted by an NFL fan yesterday, Adams could be heard replying “Hey man, I’m trying bro” when asked if he was going to be heading to Dallas to play for Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.  While the video has a “staged” feel to it, there’s no way of knowing for sure, but that’s an entirely different conversation.

Adams’ desire to be a Cowboy was first broadcast this past season when a deal to Dallas was rumored through the media before Adams’ friend Ryan Clark appeared on ESPN to say that the Texas native would like to head home to play for the Cowboys.

ESPN’s Ryan Clark said Jets’ S Jamal Adams would like to go home to Texas and play for the Cowboys.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 29, 2019

After allowing Clark to speak on his behalf, Adams refused to speak with GM Joe Douglas and head coach Adam Gase himself.  Addressing the media the following week, Adams said he had only spoken to owner Christopher Johnson because Johnson was somebody he could trust, a slap in the fact to both Douglas and Gase.

Since that time, Douglas has remained consistent in saying his goal is to get Adams signed to a long-term contract to keep with the Jets “for life”, but Adams wasn’t done trying to make his way to Dallas.

An All-Pro player who is an All-World tweeter, Adams has used his social media platforms not to talk Jets football or engage with his new teammates this offseason, but instead to congratulate players around the league who landed a big contracts elsewhere such as Texans tackle Laremy Tunsil, Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey and Browns defensive lineman Myles Garrett.

At this point it seems Adams is simply goading Jets fans.  He’s aware of their level of interest in his musings on social media and having said nothing about any individual Jets draft picks this off-season, he did take the time recently to praise rookie receiver CeeDee Lamb…of the Dallas Cowboys.

Yeah, little bro is about to SNAP!!! @_CeeDeeThree ? https://t.co/vtBXlCdYKq

— Jamal Adams (@Prez) June 17, 2020

Try as he may, Adams isn’t going to be able to force the Jets to send him to the team of his choice and the Jets hold all the cards with Adams having two years remaining on his rookie deal along with the possibility of a franchise tag after that.

If the Jets choose to move Adams, it may be tough to get equal value as teams know how desperate the player is to leave, but Joe Douglas can take this opportunity to stand strong and send a message that he won’t have his actions dictated by a single player, meaning a trade to Dallas is about as likely as Adams, the self-anointed “Prez”, avoiding the spotlight to negotiate behind closed doors.

The post No Reason for Jets to Cave to Adams Desires appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
9GfdqJS8ZPQ

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How this ends is that a lot of good teams do the math and realize that their safeties are good enough to win with and that paying upwards of $17 mil per for a tacklin’ strong safety is a poor use of resources, which will leave Douglas with few options and, ultimately, and underwhelming return on any potential trade. It feels like this ends up with Adams going to the Raiders for a package of 2’s and 4’s with maybe a receiver thrown in.

T0m, where did we go wrong with this guy?

He's acting like a bat-sh*t crazy ex-girlfriend (like the woman in that Michael douglas movie, fatal attraction) but i don't get what we did to deserve all this.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How this ends is that a lot of good teams do the math and realize that their safeties are good enough to win with and that paying upwards of $17 mil per for a tacklin’ strong safety is a poor use of resources, which will leave Douglas with few options and, ultimately, and underwhelming return on any potential trade. It feels like this ends up with Adams going to the Raiders for a package of 2’s and 4’s with maybe a receiver thrown in.

No this ends with you becoming the GM of the Jaguars and bringing me there to run marketing.

adams is under contract so the jets hold the cards.  they can let him rot if they want.  and i can't see him enhancing his trade value, or even future contracts with other teams, if he chooses to hold out.  bell was able to get away with it because he was one of the top skill position players.  strong safety is an important position but not quite the same as a lock down corner or edge rusher.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sorry but NotYourGrandfathersJaguarsOfficialSite is already registered, my man

In fairness, that wasn't the name I would have picked. I still have the notes lol.  Your choice was much better though, no doubt.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ok. Well, sounds like a nice haul for a tackling box safety, non-impact, locker room cancer. Amirite? I would imagine you would welcome a WR and a couple of second round picks for that sack of potatoes.  

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ok. Well, sounds like a nice haul for a tackling box safety, non-impact, locker room cancer. Amirite? I would imagine you would welcome a WR and a couple of second round picks for that sack of potatoes.  

I just work here, sir. I don’t set the prices.

Plot twist/contrarian point.

A team like Detroit/Jacksonville, where both the GM and HC are under pressure to right the ship or be fired, panics, does everything they can to get Jamal, and ends up overpaying/giving us exactly what we want.

It's important to remember that it only takes one team to get desperate and do something stupid.

I could see a 1st, 3rd, and a WR (maybe Michael Gallup *if we include Dallas*, DJ Chark, JuJu, etc.) being traded for Jamal.

• Upvote 2

Why can’t the jets make him play out his contract, franchise him once if they want and then get a compensatory 3rd rounder?  That’s a pretty good deal for 6 years of service. And if he holds out and doesn’t play he becomes wholly irrelevant which would burn him even more. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Why can’t the jets make him play out his contract, franchise him once if they want and then get a compensatory 3rd rounder?  That’s a pretty good deal for 6 years of service. And if he holds out and doesn’t play he becomes wholly irrelevant which would burn him even more. 

I hope he holds out....  lets let him sit, not pay him and that's that. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I'd be fine with that, but I guess the Jets have to weigh his impact on the locker room, etc.  I still say give him and his agent permission to seek a trade, but tell them that they'll only accept one that returns proper value. If they find one, take the deal. But more likely, they get a few lowball offers that should be shots to his bloated ego.

48 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

They can and I am of the belief that is what is likely to happen.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Plot twist/contrarian point.

A team like Detroit/Jacksonville, where both the GM and HC are under pressure to right the ship or be fired, panics, does everything they can to get Jamal, and ends up overpaying/giving us exactly what we want.

It's important to remember that it only takes one team to get desperate and do something stupid.

I could see a 1st, 3rd, and a WR (maybe Michael Gallup *if we include Dallas*, DJ Chark, JuJu, etc.) being traded for Jamal.

You could see a team doing that for a WR, EDGE, or CB1, but why would anyone do this for a strong safety? IMO, if Jerry wanted him that badly, Adams would have been a Cowboy by now, twice over!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Because they’d become the Carmelo Anthony Knicks

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Douglas

It’s been one of the worst kept secrets in the NFL, but now Jets safety Jamal Adams confirmed it for those who have had their heads buried in the sand for several months now, and more specifically since the NFL trade deadline.

“Hey, you coming to Dallas?”

Jamal Adams: “I’m trying, bro.”

(via @JaksonVelasquez)pic.twitter.com/OsSrNsHbXN

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) June 22, 2020

In a video posted by an NFL fan yesterday, Adams could be heard replying “Hey man, I’m trying bro” when asked if he was going to be heading to Dallas to play for Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.  While the video has a “staged” feel to it, there’s no way of knowing for sure, but that’s an entirely different conversation.

Adams’ desire to be a Cowboy was first broadcast this past season when a deal to Dallas was rumored through the media before Adams’ friend Ryan Clark appeared on ESPN to say that the Texas native would like to head home to play for the Cowboys.

ESPN’s Ryan Clark said Jets’ S Jamal Adams would like to go home to Texas and play for the Cowboys.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 29, 2019

After allowing Clark to speak on his behalf, Adams refused to speak with GM Joe Douglas and head coach Adam Gase himself.  Addressing the media the following week, Adams said he had only spoken to owner Christopher Johnson because Johnson was somebody he could trust, a slap in the fact to both Douglas and Gase.

Since that time, Douglas has remained consistent in saying his goal is to get Adams signed to a long-term contract to keep with the Jets “for life”, but Adams wasn’t done trying to make his way to Dallas.

An All-Pro player who is an All-World tweeter, Adams has used his social media platforms not to talk Jets football or engage with his new teammates this offseason, but instead to congratulate players around the league who landed a big contracts elsewhere such as Texans tackle Laremy Tunsil, Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey and Browns defensive lineman Myles Garrett.

At this point it seems Adams is simply goading Jets fans.  He’s aware of their level of interest in his musings on social media and having said nothing about any individual Jets draft picks this off-season, he did take the time recently to praise rookie receiver CeeDee Lamb…of the Dallas Cowboys.

Yeah, little bro is about to SNAP!!! @_CeeDeeThree ? https://t.co/vtBXlCdYKq

— Jamal Adams (@Prez) June 17, 2020

Try as he may, Adams isn’t going to be able to force the Jets to send him to the team of his choice and the Jets hold all the cards with Adams having two years remaining on his rookie deal along with the possibility of a franchise tag after that.

If the Jets choose to move Adams, it may be tough to get equal value as teams know how desperate the player is to leave, but Joe Douglas can take this opportunity to stand strong and send a message that he won’t have his actions dictated by a single player, meaning a trade to Dallas is about as likely as Adams, the self-anointed “Prez”, avoiding the spotlight to negotiate behind closed doors.

The post No Reason for Jets to Cave to Adams Desires appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

9GfdqJS8ZPQ

Click here to read the full story...

agree,,from what we have seen of Douglas (how he is taking 2 years to rebuild OffLine by doing it right and not panicking) that he could decide to take bullet money wise to tell next decade of Jet players they cant bully thier way out of town. Contracts have consequences

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You could see a team doing that for a WR, EDGE, or CB1, but why would anyone do this for a strong safety? IMO, if Jerry wanted him that badly, Adams would have been a Cowboy by now, twice over!

I can see a desperate HC and GM saying, f-it he's an all pro, go get him and not making a rational decision.

I, also, still think Jerry makes a stupid push for Jamal.

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

agree,,it will take a owner with ego craving a headline or a team 'thinking' they are one player away on D from SB run

• Upvote 1