JetNation

Dyer: Tannenbaum Breaks Down Adams Trade Value

Jamal Adams, Pittsburgh Steelers

Former New York Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum sat down with Kristian Dyer of Sports Illustrated to discuss the possible trade value of maligned superstar safety Jamal Adams.

Mike Tannenbaum: Trading Jamal Adams isn't ideal but is a possibility for the New York Jets https://t.co/bomuRfa7hQ via @SI_JetsMaven

— Kristian Dyer (@KristianRDyer) June 20, 2020

According to Tannenbaum, the ideal scenario for Adams and the Jets would be a new long-term contract that would keep him in Green and White for years to come, a stated goal of current General Manager Joe Douglas.

With Adams making a spectacle of his contract situation in recent days, speculation regarding a possible trade has begun to swirl and onlookers appear to be divided on Adams’ value.  Despite all the drama surrounding Adams and what is expected to be a lofty price tag, Tannenbaum says Adams should fetch at least a round one pick, in addition to a high second-round choice.

Click the tweet above for the full article or click here to join the discussion on our forums at JetNation.com.

The post Dyer: Tannenbaum Breaks Down Adams Trade Value appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
BQnuCn5bvnY

Click here to read the full story...

A 1st and a 2nd would be fine with me, as long as you are betting that the 1st rounder will be in the top 20 picks.  

If ever there were a summer to trade a player for picks next year, this is it.  Who knows if this season will even exist.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s funny to hear Tannenbaum advocate for Douglas to get dragged through the dirt all summer by a player who wants to be vastly overpaid

yeah, tanny never overpaid anyone.  but at the end of the day who thinks adams will be overpaid?  i seriously doubt that any team is going to give him 20 million per year.  he's a strong safety and the market is about half that.

• Upvote 1

1st and a 2nd a little lite.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

At this point a first and a second would probably do it.  But I would love to see it come from a lousy team, for two reasons:  (1) lousy team = higher picks; and (2) continued frustration for the the prima donna, self-named "prez." 

I wouldn't give him away but, at this point, would rather see him on another team.  These OBJ type guys (is there something in the water at LSU?) are poison.  It's only going to get worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

If there is no college football season the draft will be far more of a crapshoot than usual making any picks much less valuable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s funny to hear Tannenbaum advocate for Douglas to get dragged through the dirt all summer by a player who wants to be vastly overpaid

there no way to look back at the Jets vs Revis situation and say "hey the Jets really did the smart thing there, not paying their best player"

Revis not only returned to the division within a year, he got all his money, and even his ring. 

by all objective standards if you were Jamal Adams you'd want to be Revis. 

You don't want to be Joe Thomas, a HOF career wasted among 10+ losing seasons 

never going to the playoffs 

that is the alternative 

• Upvote 1

Makes no sense. I think JD wants a player in return and the team trading for Adams will need to sign him to a mega deal so will most likely want to clear space 

4 hours ago, slats said:

Did Tannenbaum ever not overpay for something? 

2nd rounder for Cro. 5th rounder for Santonio. 

What a fn’ wizard that guy was in retrospect.

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2020 at 10:40 AM, bitonti said:

there no way to look back at the Jets vs Revis situation and say "hey the Jets really did the smart thing there, not paying their best player"

Revis not only returned to the division within a year, he got all his money, and even his ring. 

You don't want to be Joe Thomas, a HOF career wasted among 10+ losing seasons 

never going to the playoffs 

that is the alternative 

This post makes absolutely no sense on a variety of different levels.  First being, they did pay Revis when he pulled all his own crap in 2010, which is the entire point of comparison here.  So basically, it makes your entire point irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Beyond that, they were also absolutely proven to be smart for not giving him another massive contract in 2013, given what an abysmal failure it was for TB and how mind-numbingly stupid it was shown to be for the Jets when they did it in 2015.

It certainly worked out great for Revis (at least up until the point he was a complete laughingstock to wrap up his career), but that in no way translates to it having been in any way good for the Jets to have him for only 2 additional years (when he was clearly no longer the same player) and forfeiting $28+ million and a first round draft pick to do so.

While I really don't care what Tanny thinks, as he has a long list of idiotic mistakes that show you would not want him handling this situation himself, so certainly shouldn't be advising others on how to, the reality also very depressingly exists that he was still an infinitely better GM than those 2 that followed him.

Here's hoping that Douglas proves himself to be worlds better than all of them at their best combined, which honestly isn't really asking that much.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:40 AM, bitonti said:

if you want to be a lazy pos who robs a team and dogs it giving WR's 10 yard cushions every play then this is true

24 minutes ago, ljr said:

if you want to be a lazy pos who robs a team and dogs it giving WR's 10 yard cushions every play then this is true

That was at the end of his career under country club bowles.

The first go around of revis wanting money you cannot compare him and adams at all.

Also the value of the player, REvis was worth 1,000 times to a team what adams is.

• Upvote 1

One thing I'll think will be interesting of note: determining the value of draft picks this upcoming year will be difficult and different than ever before. If there is no college football season then all players drafted will be based on last year's numbers which would skew things (think of Joe Burrow's and Jordan Love 's value change in 1 year).  However if there is no NFL season then the value of picks is higher relative to a year of a player not playing. I don't know, but if their is no college football season, I think teams will end up with steals in the draft that only become apparent after a 2-3 years of play.

51 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

This post makes absolutely no sense on a variety of different levels.  First being, they did pay Revis when he pulled all his own crap in 2010, which is the entire point of comparison here.  So basically, it makes your entire point irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Beyond that, they were also absolutely proven to be smart for not giving him another massive contract in 2013, given what an abysmal failure it was for TB and how mind-numbingly stupid it was shown to be for the Jets when they did it in 2015.

It certainly worked out great for Revis (at least up until the point he was a complete laughingstock to wrap up his career), but that in no way translates to it having been in any way good for the Jets to have him for only 2 additional years (when he was clearly no longer the same player) and forfeiting $28+ million and a first round draft pick to do so.

everyone's focusing on how Revis and Adams situation aren't EXACTLY alike

what about the other part of my post

how he doesn't want to be Joe Thomas

fans don't want to see the true state of the franchise we want to believe everyone wants to play here because  it's awesome

here's the contra case 

they finally get a decent player in the first round, worth a second contract, their first for I don't know a decade (mo wilkerson?) 

and 5 out of 6 Jets fans have turned on the dude for wanting market value or close to it for his services

like many here my time rooting for the laundry can be measured in decades

we've seen this play out before they will turn Jamal into a bad dude in the NY media which is cheaper than paying him, he will go to another, better run franchise (how terrible are the Jets that the COWBOYS are clearly a better run franchise?) and  the Jets will sit on a scrooge mcduck pile of cap space that won't be used for free agents

It's bigger than Jamal 

they will find a reason not to pay Sam and probably Becton too 

does anyone really think Woody JOhnson will approve a 100 million dollar extension for Sam Darnold? 

That's why they drafted James Morgan. To not do it. 

They aren't paying anyone, they are going to run this team like it's Cincinatti and collect the checks below .500 every year

it's what they do 

I don't blame Jamal Adams for finally realizing it 

we all grow up sooner or later 

on some level we get what we deserve with this crew. 

Last night I sort of stumbled on a Cowboys fan site. It was funny to see some there thinking that they can get Adams for just a 3rd rounder.  There also was some talk of trading Dak Prescott to the Jets for Darnold and Adams (and in one case, a first round pick going to Dallas, too).

There were some level-headed posts, too, like one suggesting a first and a third for Adams.

no team will trade for him unless he signs new deal,,he only wants cowboys..so if they try and trade to a different team he just wont agree on a new deal,, he is either staying here or being traded to dallas or 3, if he is an idiot, he will holdout for 3 years LOL

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That was at the end of his career under country club bowles.

The first go around of revis wanting money you cannot compare him and adams at all.

Also the value of the player, REvis was worth 1,000 times to a team what adams is.

Bit posted

On 6/23/2020 at 10:40 AM, bitonti said: 

by all objective standards if you were Jamal Adams you'd want to be Revis

---

I responded to that with

30 minutes ago, ljr said:

---

I wasn't comparing who Jamal is to who Revis is.

I stated Revis went for the cash grab ... which he did on "his first go round" and also did "at the end of his career"

you must have confused me with someone else talking about the value of revis compared to the value of jamal

On 6/23/2020 at 8:23 AM, Pac said:

1st and a 2nd a little lite.

How can he be worth more than that and not worth keeping at the same time? 🤷🏻‍♂️

27 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

no team will trade for him unless he signs new deal,,he only wants cowboys..so if they try and trade to a different team he just wont agree on a new deal,, he is either staying here or being traded to dallas or 3, if he is an idiot, he will holdout for 3 years LOL

pretty sure he has no say whatsoever...    i couldnt find anywhere that says he has a no trade or a trade approval clause in his rookie contract

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

pretty sure he has no say whatsoever...    i couldnt find anywhere that says he has a no trade or a trade approval clause in his rookie contract

correct, he can do same there as here,,demand new deal and if they dont cave he will sit. My point was MOST teams NEVER trade for a player asking for extension in media unless the trade includes a new deal agreed tp before trade. Why would they give up top draft picks if he isnt going to play unless he gets his 20M year deal

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

They only similarity they share are a demand for more money.  Every other detail is different.

and 5 out of 6 Jets fans have turned on the dude for wanting market value or close to it for his services

False.  Every report suggests he wants well above market value for his services, and the hate comes from him being an incessantly whiny child about it.

It's bigger than Jamal 

So your entire argument is based on nonsensical idiocy that you are 100% completely fabricating with no basis for it in reality whatsoever?  You really couldn't have possibly picked two examples more laughable with no historical support to them whatsoever.  The current era Jets have a much longer history of overpaying QBs who don't deserve it out of fear (the noodle, Sanchez, Fitz, McCown) and never once lost one due to contract.  They've also spent that same period with a very small handful of LTs, because they were absolutely willing to pay (Fabini, Brick, Beachum).

So to recap, your made up story would suggest you completely lack awareness of everything about how this team operates.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

So to recap, your made up story would suggest you completely lack awareness of everything about how this team operates.

they are a bazilion dollars under the cap and everyone's on 1 year deals 

Just now, bitonti said:

they are a bazilion dollars under the cap and everyone's on 1 year deals 

Oh, so it's your lack of understanding of current circumstances that has you disregarding every other fact that completely contradicts your point, in favor of the psychotic antics of approximately 1% of the Jets' entire current roster?  Got it.

Listening to Tanny is like listen to Manish.  Please.  JD doesn't have to do a dam thing...   IMHO, the only thing that JA is accomplishing is diminishing his value.   

I thought he broke his hip and was all ready to celebrate.

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Except he does.  If you are the GM of say the Bears (just a random team not on the preferred list), are you going to trade a 1 and 3 for a player that doesn't want to play for your team and has proven to be a malcontent.   If my team isn't on Jamal's preferred list I am not going anywhere near him without a new contract in place.

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

I don’t know about that.

Adams has quite a lot of say in where he goes, and probably will use it.

No team is going to give the value the Jets want for him if they think he won’t be happy playing for them, and the people here who want to let Adams sit here 3 years and suffer are dismissing the distraction he could choose to become. It’s his choice how he wants to play this.

Most of this board is already wetting their pants, and it’s not even July. They’ve already shown they don’t have the stomach for this.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

l

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

False.  Every report suggests he wants well above market value for his services, and the hate comes from him being an incessantly whiny child about it.

Its this plus the fact since the rookie wage scale has been implemented a very small percentage of players have received an extension after year 3.   

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

what about the other part of my post

how he doesn't want to be Joe Thomas

fans don't want to see the true state of the franchise we want to believe everyone wants to play here because  it's awesome

here's the contra case 

they finally get a decent player in the first round, worth a second contract, their first for I don't know a decade (mo wilkerson?) 

like many here my time rooting for the laundry can be measured in decades

we've seen this play out before they will turn Jamal into a bad dude in the NY media which is cheaper than paying him, he will go to another, better run franchise (how terrible are the Jets that the COWBOYS are clearly a better run franchise?) and  the Jets will sit on a scrooge mcduck pile of cap space that won't be used for free agents

It's bigger than Jamal 

does anyone really think Woody JOhnson will approve a 100 million dollar extension for Sam Darnold? 

That's why they drafted James Morgan. To not do it. 

They aren't paying anyone, they are going to run this team like it's Cincinatti and collect the checks below .500 every year

it's what they do 

I don't blame Jamal Adams for finally realizing it 

we all grow up sooner or later 

on some level we get what we deserve with this crew. 

Wow that's an amazing place to get to in a single post. Good for you Bit. 

15 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Wow that's an amazing place to get to in a single post. Good for you Bit. 

it's called being ahead of the curve 

by the way I've made dire predictions since the Geno Smith era

with the knowledge I'd have to eat huge CROW in public if I were wrong

but funny thing about the Jets none of my RECENT dire predictions have been proven wrong

you know what predictions I have regretted? Backing players they drafted, coaches they hired and moves they made. 

I've been a fan for many years and I even split seasons for a few of those, I was never more inaccurate than when wearing the green glasses. 

hey here's some predictions more while we are here: 

Darnold won't be resigned. He's a 74 in Madden and deservedly so. He's going to want huge cash 100 and the case could be made he's worth less than Adams. The X Factor here is that Jimmy Sexton has Chris Johnson's ATM Code.  Woody will return from UK and stop the madness before the Jets cut Darnold a deal worth potentially 100 million dollars. If Matt Stafford can get that money, Darnold can too. 

Gase (another Sexton client) won't ever have a winning season he's a talentless boob with no acumen for what offense looks like in the 2020's. He ran the friggin Wildcat last year. His offensive plays and concepts are terrible. 

Douglas (another Sexton client) is actually a good scouting mind who can't sign FA (George Fant and Matt Kalil were/are FA busts). He will run this team like it's in Green Bay or Pittsburgh and keep them mediocre through the draft.

They might cross .500 while Gase is in the building but they won't be a contender 

You and I crusher we will be old men, looking back on a lifetime of rooting for this team, with no payoff

young fans think that a SB is bound to happen, sooner or later

like it's some sort of routlette wheel 

green 00 and 0 will come up eventually, right? 

but even the great programs and the great players don't get close to a SB

a terrible program with a psychotic coach and checked out owner won't luck into a Super Bowl by accident 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's called being ahead of the curve 

by the way I've made dire predictions since the Geno Smith era

with the knowledge I'd have to eat huge CROW in public if I were wrong

but funny thing about the Jets none of my RECENT dire predictions have been proven wrong

you know what predictions I have regretted? Backing players they drafted, coaches they hired and moves they made. 

I've been a fan for many years and I even split seasons for a few of those, I was never more inaccurate than when wearing the green glasses. 

hey here's some predictions more while we are here: 

Darnold won't be resigned. He's a 74 in Madden and deservedly so. He's going to want huge cash 100 and the case could be made he's worth less than Adams. The X Factor here is that Jimmy Sexton has Chris Johnson's ATM Code.  Woody will return from UK and stop the madness before the Jets cut Darnold a deal worth potentially 100 million dollars. If Matt Stafford can get that money, Darnold can too. 

Gase (another Sexton client) won't ever have a winning season he's a talentless boob with no acumen for what offense looks like in the 2020's. He ran the friggin Wildcat last year. His offensive plays and concepts are terrible. 

Douglas (another Sexton client) is actually a good scouting mind who can't sign FA (George Fant and Matt Kalil were/are FA busts). He will run this team like it's in Green Bay or Pittsburgh and keep them mediocre through the draft.

They might cross .500 while Gase is in the building but they won't be a contender 

You and I crusher we will be old men, looking back on a lifetime of rooting for this team, with no payoff

young fans think that a SB is bound to happen, sooner or later

like it's some sort of routlette wheel 

even the great programs and the great players don't get close to a SB

a terrible program with a checked out owner won't luck into one by accident 

To be perfectly honest this is actually an awesome post and well thought out. Plus? The possibility of no football in 2020 is now feeling more like an early Christmas present than a bad things. Thanks Bit! 

• Upvote 1