Craig Carton released from prison, return to WFAN possible

AFJF

46 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

boomer and gio sucks, the show is so bland.  

Agreed it’s awful.  Like I said Carton should still be I. Jail to finish his sentence but there is no doubt he is ten times better than Gio.  The Boomer and Carton ratings were sky high too 

2 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

It must be hard to get ratings at a 24 hour sports radio station when there are no sports.

When I’m in the car now I listen to the Classic Vinyl station on Sirius. I don’t even bother with the MLB or NFL stations anymore.

As far as tv, I don’t think I’ve watched ESPN since the NFL draft.

Gee you sound just like me only it's BPM or Studio 54 in the car or a CD. Last time I tuned in ESPN was when the Jets were on Monday nite. 1/2 way thru I had enough of Booger and switched the sound over to radio.

• Upvote 1

On one hand, I would resent listening to a radio show by a guy who only served about a quarter of his sentence after cheating people out of millions. 

On the other hand, it might be unique listening to a show conducted by a guy broadcasting from a small table jammed against the soft drink machine in the halfway house cafeteria.

• Haha 2

I agree that most of the people on fan are horrible, but why Carton should get the first shot at replacing anybody is ridiculous. I personally never cared for his act at all, big loudmouth know it all. I am sure there must be 1000 other people who should get a chance and maybe turn into something great. This guy still belongs in prison after the scams he ran on people.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d rather have a never-ending 24/7 livestream of Maggie Gray reading a phone book implanted in both ear canals than listen to another syllable from Carton on the radio. Just fold up the FAN already. It’s over for them. 

Preach 

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm pretty sure the average guy making minimum wage at Walmart before going to prison can get another job making minimum wage when he is let out of prison. 

Well, sure.  But we're talking about a guy going from a radio show to federal prison and then right back to the radio show he was on.  Isn't it at least reasonable to hope he "earns his way back"?  It reminds me of when Michael Vick got a $100M contract seemingly the moment after doing his prison sentence.  To me he should have at least had to have go to the CFL for a season or something.... 

Did he serve his time?  Yes (kind of...).  Does he have the right to work?  Of course.  I just think its strange how quickly some people of relative influence are able to "bounce back".  We're not talking about a job at Wal-Mart.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did he serve his time?  Yes (kind of...).  Does he have the right to work?  Of course.  I just think its strange how quickly some people of relative influence are able to "bounce back".  We're not talking about a job at Wal-Mart.

It's that "kind of" that gets to me.  I think that 3½ years is pretty light for cheating people out of millions of dollars as it is.  Add on the fact that he only had to serve about a quarter of the sentence just makes it all the worse.  They said his early release wasn't even Covid related, so you have to wonder....

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I could absolutely see Carton get re-hired by WFAN, considering how boring most of their hosts (definitely including Moose and Maggie) are.  I don't know the numbers but I would suspect they're way down.  I can't say I was a fan of Carton either tbh, but I wouldn't be surprised if WFAN gave him a chance to see if he could drum up some interest.  I think some people actually liked him so he probably could.

I'm still trying to find those "some people" who liked him. He was absolutely terrible to listen to -- a juvenile, narcissistic ass -- to be straight. Not surprised he was a crook, but he had no business being on the radio. Awful. And they're morons to rehire him.

23 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm still trying to find those "some people" who liked him. He was absolutely terrible to listen to -- a juvenile, narcissistic ass -- to be straight. Not surprised he was a crook, but he had no business being on the radio. Awful. And they're morons to rehire him.

It's hard to believe people liked him but I think he had the #1 rated show in his timeslot.

21 hours ago, rangerous said:

i guess he paid the price and is entitled to get a job but it seems kind of bizarre that these guys seem to get so many chances when the majority just don't.

Carton is funny. The majority aren't.

Is Carton flawed? Yes. A bad guy? Probably. Do I really care? No. 

7 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

I think that 3½ years is pretty light for cheating people out of millions of dollars as it is.  

By "people" you mean the the hedge fund, Brigade Capital - it played out like a rejected script from Billions.

Brigade's first mistake was backing Carton in his weak scheme. 

When they found out they got burned, they turned him in to the SEC and it became a big story - and a big mistake by Brigade.

What they lost to Carton was peanuts compared what they might have lost reputationally when their institutional investors learned about the scheme. The thinking was along the lines of "why should we trust our money with people who would either trust or waste their time with this clown" ... and it put the firm into backpedaling mode. I remember hearing the fund lost investment, whether it was significant I don't know, but I'm sure they wish they handled it differently. It was not a good look.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2020 at 11:35 AM, Philc1 said:

As much as I despise Carton he’s infinitely better than that boring drivel Moose & Maggie

She says the bane of my existence, the word 'like', so gratuitously I honestly can't listen to that show strictly because of it. 'Like' is the most overused, misused, and abused word in the English language. It not only has become part of the national vernacular, it has become so ingrained into the landscape that people have no clue that they're even saying it. Horrible filler word, and makes really smart people sound dumb and dumb people sound dumber than my dog (and he can't speak).

For all that's holy, please, America, just stop it. People even WRITE like that.  I swear to God, I have read things like (here used properly), "He was like, so mad, that like, we all like, had to like leave." Pay close attention in any public place to random chatter, run home screaming.  If I'm stuck in traffic once in a while I'll play the  "count the misplaced and misused likes game", but that doesn't count as listening because it completely eradicates any point she's trying to make. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2020 at 7:18 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's hard to believe people liked him but I think he had the #1 rated show in his timeslot.

The show he left is still rated #1 in their timeslot. 

So has this guy actually paid restitution to the victims like the judge ordered? 

1 minute ago, jetophile said:

She says the bane of my existence, the word 'like', so gratuitously I honestly can't listen to that show strictly because of it. 'Like' is the most overused, misused, and abused word in the English language. It not only has become part of the national vernacular, it has become so ingrained into the landscape that people have no clue that they're even saying it. Horrible filler word, and makes really smart people sound dumb and dumb people sound dumber than my dog (and he can't speak).

For all that's holy, please, America, just stop it. People even WRITE like that.  I swear to God, I have read things like (here used properly), "He was like, so mad, that like, we all like, had to like leave." Pay close attention in any public place to random chatter, run home screaming.  If I'm stuck in traffic once in a while I'll play the  "count the misplaced and misused likes game", but that doesn't count as listening because it completely eradicates any point she's trying to make. 

This was, like, too long to read.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jetophile said:

I don’t know why Viacom suits keep pushing Maggie Grey.  She’s radio ratings death everywhere

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The show he left is still rated #1 in their timeslot. 

So has this guy actually paid restitution to the victims like the judge ordered? 

This was, like, too long to read.

Carton is a broke loser.  I’m sure if a restitution order was granted he would declare bankruptcy 

Have not listened to anything that isn't music or a podcast in a long time. And as the internet grew, less and less reason anyone should listen.

Wish Carton no ill. Losing your career, your money, your freedom and your family suck, even if he did it to himself. 

Stipulate Mushnick is a cantankerous get off my lawn guy. But this smells very much like a guy who still has a huge ego and hasn't really dealt with his problems. Are radio programmers that hard up for ratings they're gonna put an unreformed  degenerate gambler on their air to advertise gambling sites every other live read? 

https://nypost.com/2020/09/19/hbos-craig-carton-gambling-documentary-sparks-suspicion/

On 6/24/2020 at 12:28 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, sure.  But we're talking about a guy going from a radio show to federal prison and then right back to the radio show he was on.  Isn't it at least reasonable to hope he "earns his way back"?  It reminds me of when Michael Vick got a $100M contract seemingly the moment after doing his prison sentence.  To me he should have at least had to have go to the CFL for a season or something.... 

I personally thought he got a slap on the wrist for what he did. Just my opinion.