All Things Alcohol

13 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

I'd bet they are great but the way I drink whisky I would go broke with those 2.

If you're a big whisky/rye guy, I genuinely mean this:

The next time you're about to buy a 750ml of Crown, search every jeans pocket you have to scrounge up an extra $105, and buy the Dram. Sure, the opportunity cost is around 3k ml of Crown, but if you can find yourself sipping the Dram in front of a fire somewhere, it'll be an experience that will stay with your forever. At the end of the bottle, you might decide never to buy it again because you're more of a volume guy and that price isn't getting it done for you, but you'll never forget that Dram. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I am impressed. All these celebrities have their own vineyards. Coppola is a quite popular medium priced offering and GTS (Seaver's) is highly rated. Now you can get a very reasonably priced bottl

I think after age 19 your body rejects Southern Comfort for eternity.

I like Alcohol. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Breaking this open tonight.   My inlaws Anniversary.

Have You Heard Of This Award Winning Japanese Whisky?

Ooh let us know how it is. I've heard big things about the Shin. Read though that they don't actually make their whiskey - rather they find distilleries where they like the mash or distillation process and buy those up and then simply blend and finish them. Obviously if the taste is there, it doesn't matter, but as a matter of principle, I'm not sure how I feel. It's a whiskey of whiskeys (akin to a fund of funds in my industry). 

I'm a Hibiki guy, but I'll mess around with an easy Yamazaki 12 any time. One thing's for sure, outside of outside of a few distilleries in the US (High West is my #1), I'd go to Japan for my whiskey before I go to Europe. And that's tough for me to say considering I cut my teeth on single malt Scotch and Whiskeys (meaning, actually from Scotland and Ireland). 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, JiF said:

I go off and on between Tequila and Whiskey.

This sh*t right here?  Straight fire.  Cant put it down which sucks because it aint cheap.

m_5e09bcfb06d59c4e107f4811.jpg

Left a bottle back in NY. Good stuff. 

I make tequila old fashioneds on the regular. A squirt of agave, two dashes citrus bitters, two dashes Mexican chocolate bitters, and 2.5 shots of a fine reposado like this or anejo tequila. It's a delicious way to drink a nice sipping tequila. Oh, the 2" ice cube tray, also a must. 

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Drinking one of my go to Summer beers, Sierra Nevada Torpedo.  Maybe because I lived in Northern CA for a while.   But I love the brews these folks produce, especially their Celebration IPA in Winter.   

sierranevada_torpedoextraipa12oz__51673.

I love my IPAs, and Sierra's Pale Ale is one of my faves. I get the Celebration, too, but that recipe seems to change year to year. Always beyond aggressively hoppy, though. Have to love those hops. The Celebration tastes like you're drinking a pine tree. Very Chrismassy. 

• Upvote 1

Oh, and pretty sure I got this recipe here from @joebabyny...

We just call them Delicious Bourbon Drinks, or DBDs for short. Or sometimes we call it the Bourbon Delivery System. Super simple, it's equal parts bourbon (I'll use Jim Beam or Wild Turkey for this), pineapple juice, and 7up. Tasty, super smooth, no idea how much bourbon you're actually drinking, and a fun time to be had by all. I usually make them in mason jars and leave it in the fridge. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

My secret stash.  Hidden door.  Ssshhhh

image.jpeg

Looking at this, it's hitting me that your front row is almost a perfect collection of "bar essentials".

Titos, Woodford, Cointreau, Bulliet, Basil, Hendricks. I'd probably switch out the Jefferson for an Angostura 12 year rum  - but that's more of a personal thing as I'd probably want a rum in my essentials and disagree with the way Jefferson lived his life. 

Like the Hudson up top. I actually gave my BIL the very first Rye that they ever bottled. He hasn't opened it yet because he's got a collector's mentality - he believes that if Hudson ever becomes a household name, he'll be able to sell the bottle for a cool little bundle. I'm kinda annoyed by it, but it's now his to do what he wants with. 

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, slats said:

I love my IPAs, and Sierra's Pale Ale is one of my faves. I get the Celebration, too, but that recipe seems to change year to year. Always beyond aggressively hoppy, though. Have to love those hops. The Celebration tastes like you're drinking a pine tree. Very Chrismassy. 

Totally right.  Those folks go completely off on the hops.   For some reason I click with that beer.

I drank regular Sierra the first week I moved to the SF Bay Area in the 90s.   Thought it was insanely bitter.  Absolutely hated the stuff.  At the time, I had never had a true IPA or "craft brewed" beer before.

43 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Ooh let us know how it is. I've heard big things about the Shin. Read though that they don't actually make their whiskey - rather they find distilleries where they like the mash or distillation process and buy those up and then simply blend and finish them. Obviously if the taste is there, it doesn't matter, but as a matter of principle, I'm not sure how I feel. It's a whiskey of whiskeys (akin to a fund of funds in my industry). 

I'm a Hibiki guy, but I'll mess around with an easy Yamazaki 12 any time. One thing's for sure, outside of outside of a few distilleries in the US (High West is my #1), I'd go to Japan for my whiskey before I go to Europe. And that's tough for me to say considering I cut my teeth on single malt Scotch and Whiskeys (meaning, actually from Scotland and Ireland). 

I like both Hibiki and Yamazaki....excited to try the Shin.  I'll let you know. 

42 minutes ago, slats said:

I make tequila old fashioneds on the regular. A squirt of agave, two dashes citrus bitters, two dashes Mexican chocolate bitters, and 2.5 shots of a fine reposado like this or anejo tequila. It's a delicious way to drink a nice sipping tequila. Oh, the 2" ice cube tray, also a must. 

We have similar taste my friend.  I make Tequila old fashions, not exactly the same but close.   With Casa Azul, it's so good, all I do is big cube, freshly squeezed lime, dash of agave....soooo good to sip.  

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Totally right.  Those folks go completely off on the hops.   For some reason I click with that beer.

I drank regular Sierra the first week I moved to the SF Bay Area in the 90s.   Thought it was insanely bitter.  Absolutely hated the stuff.  At the time, I had never had a true IPA or "craft brewed" beer before.

I like the Torpedo. It seems we have similar palates - both like the hops but don’t want a bitter beer. Try a MegaBoss or Jai Alai. It’ll change you.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Looking at this, it's hitting me that your front row is almost a perfect collection of "bar essentials".

Titos, Woodford, Cointreau, Bulliet, Basil, Hendricks. I'd probably switch out the Jefferson for an Angostura 12 year rum  - but that's more of a personal thing as I'd probably want a rum in my essentials and disagree with the way Jefferson lived his life. 

Like the Hudson up top. I actually gave my BIL the very first Rye that they ever bottled. He hasn't opened it yet because he's got a collector's mentality - he believes that if Hudson ever becomes a household name, he'll be able to sell the bottle for a cool little bundle. I'm kinda annoyed by it, but it's now his to do what he wants with. 

The Hudson and Jefferson were gifts.  There are probably another dozen bottles you cant see too and those are the rums/vodkas/specilitly liquors. I'm just not a rum drinker but I have a few bottles so they end up heading toward the back. 

I used to bartend back in the day so I truly enjoy making craft cocktails for guests, I have bottles that I'll use maybe twice a year for a speciality cocktail but you know, gotta have it if you want it. 

We like wine and beer here too but the booze is where I do my magic. 

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Hudson and Jefferson were gifts.  There are probably another dozen bottles you cant see too and those are the rums/vodkas/specilitly liquors. I'm just not a rum drinker but I have a few bottles so they end up heading toward the back. 

I used to bartend back in the day so I truly enjoy making craft cocktails for guests, I have bottles that I'll use maybe twice a year for a speciality cocktail but you know, gotta have it if you want it. 

We like wine and beer here too but the booze is where I do my magic. 

Funny - I never actually tended because school and work always got in the way, but I’ve always had a passion for mixing. Even in college with friends, I was always the one asked to make drinks, and I never turned down an opportunity.

When I first met my wife’s big group of friends, I spent the entire night making everyone drinks with whatever I could find - and I really mean whatever I could find. Near the end of the night when all of the real supplies were out, someone suggested shots, and I made make-do Kamikazes with orange Gatorade, Tito’s, and fresh lemon. That was in 2015. To this day, they refer to me as a bartender and have no idea that I have no formal training or experience.

I haven’t had a chance to try any of this just yet, but I’ve gotten really into unique garnishes. I’ve had my eye on a carmalized orange peel garnish for a Four Roses Old Fashioned.

• Upvote 2
37 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I like the Torpedo. It seems we have similar palates - both like the hops but don’t want a bitter beer. Try a MegaBoss or Jai Alai. It’ll change you.

Have not had either.  Will look for it.  Thanks very much for the tip. 

B01KbFX.gif?noredirect

• Upvote 1

Which wines are you guys drinking? I’ve been on a $20/bottle Burgundy kick, both red and white, and they’ve all been mostly delicious. Always thought you had to spend 30+ to get a decent bottle from Burgundy or Bordeaux but I’ve found a couple of good wine stores that always have great stuff. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I like tequila, usually blanco, but I had Corralejo Reposado recently and it was smoother than butter. Also pretty inexpensive. That’s probably my next agave purchase, and it’ll do very well in an old fashioned.

• Upvote 1
On 6/25/2020 at 5:52 AM, southparkcpa said:

Was so pumped to try this.. heard it was a great sipping Rye Whiskey, sells out rather quickly etc.  Well.. bought it and simply can't drink it. Reminds me of a BAD night of southern comfort when I was 16.  It is high quality... just doesn't work for me.   I'll stay with my scotch.

angel_s-envy-rye-1.jpg

Can't speak for their rye but their bourbon is one of the best value buys out there. A notch below Eagle Rare for the under $50 category.

25 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I like tequila, usually blanco, but I had Corralejo Reposado recently and it was smoother than butter. Also pretty inexpensive. That’s probably my next agave purchase, and it’ll do very well in an old fashioned.

Tequila, bourbon, and gin are my go to spirits, and you can find top end versions of each for under $50. And being a drinker in Mexico is crazy cheap. I stock up when the market has a sale, but I've gotten bottles of Espolon tequila, Boodles gin, Jim Beam, and Bailey's Irish Cream for under $12 US. And I'm in something of a tourist town. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

Oh, and pretty sure I got this recipe here from @joebabyny...

We just call them Delicious Bourbon Drinks, or DBDs for short. Or sometimes we call it the Bourbon Delivery System. Super simple, it's equal parts bourbon (I'll use Jim Beam or Wild Turkey for this), pineapple juice, and 7up. Tasty, super smooth, no idea how much bourbon you're actually drinking, and a fun time to be had by all. I usually make them in mason jars and leave it in the fridge. 

I will definitely be trying this soon.

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Which wines are you guys drinking? I’ve been on a $20/bottle Burgundy kick, both red and white, and they’ve all been mostly delicious. Always thought you had to spend 30+ to get a decent bottle from Burgundy or Bordeaux but I’ve found a couple of good wine stores that always have great stuff. 

I don't know jack about wine. Most of it tastes sh*tty imo.

Best wine I ever had imho was like $8.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I swear 90 percent of all wine snobs couldn’t tell the difference between a $20 bottle and yellow tail at $9.    

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I swear 90 percent of all wine snobs couldn’t tell the difference between a $20 bottle and yellow tail at $9.    

As someone who is not a wine guy I could not disagree more. I know people are Sauvignon haters but the difference between a cheap bottle and Cloudy Bay is night and day.

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Hendricks is fabulous. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Nolder said:

You have just not found a wine you like.  There are so many varietals of reds and whites.  Some puckery dry, while others are soft and fruity.  And a bottle of chilled, well made Champagne would put a smile on most people's faces.  Experiment.

Some of the best I've ever tasted were everyday wines in France and Italy.  These were wines sold in shops from massive containers/casks that folks like you or me would bring bottles from home and have them filled there.  And I still dream about the cold Frascati (not a great or expensive wine) that I enjoyed on a very hot day in Rome.  A white wine which went down very easily but "cut the legs" as you tried to stand as the locals say.

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

As someone who is not a wine guy I could not disagree more. I know people are Sauvignon haters but the difference between a cheap bottle and Cloudy Bay is night and day.

I offer a lot of people a hundred dollar bet that we line up a 10  20 and 30 dollar bottle....  none take the bet.  

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I offer a lot of people a hundred dollar bet that we line up a 10  20 and 30 dollar bottle....  none take the bet.  

Ha fair enough. And speaking of taste tests the quarantine brought us to a JIF vs Skippy taste test yesterday. The wife preferred skippy, I liked JIF. Need to do more taste tests.

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

If this were a Bordeaux test, I could definitely do the $10 vs $30.  Much more difficult picking between the $20 and $30.

I'd also do well with Champagnes, picking a Grand Cru vs a lower priced bottle. 

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Ha fair enough. And speaking of taste tests the quarantine brought us to a JIF vs Skippy taste test yesterday. The wife preferred skippy, I liked JIF. Need to do more taste tests.

That’s great.... I’ve been putting peanut butter in my protein shakes via blender.  Crazy but the basic Walmart crunchy is the winner so far.  

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Hendricks is fabulous. 

+1. Lots you can do with it.

A few years ago my good friend came back from a work trip to Dublin. He had gone to a specific bar there his first night (I’m blanking on the name), and when he walked in he realized it was a full on gin bar. Long story short, this place had over 400 types of gin, and my buddy became so enamored with trying all of the most recommended ones that he went back three or four more times. He came back with 10 different bottles.

Well, he and his wife host a holiday party every year with a full bar. That year, on top of the full bar, he decided to turn one of their rooms into an exclusively gin bar - complete with all of the accompaniments and garnishes and varying mixers. Needless to say, it was one of the best things I’ve ever been a part of - and I learned a bunch of really fun intricacies in gin cocktails. Since then, I’ve been hooked. And Hendricks is the perfect quality to use as the gin segment in the “bar essentials.”

• Upvote 2

That’s great.... I’ve been putting peanut butter in my protein shakes via blender.  Crazy but the basic Walmart crunchy is the winner so far.  

Child please, you ain’t never been in no damn Wal-Mart. 

• Haha 2