All Things Alcohol

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

You have just not found a wine you like.  There are so many varietals of reds and whites.  Some puckery dry, while others are soft and fruity.  And a bottle of chilled, well made Champagne would put a smile on most people's faces.  Experiment.

I've tried a few different wines and some were ok although I have no idea who made them.

I've never had a champagne I enjoyed.

I am...45% sure this is the wine I most enjoyed. It was in a big jug like this anyway.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Ha fair enough. And speaking of taste tests the quarantine brought us to a JIF vs Skippy taste test yesterday. The wife preferred skippy, I liked JIF. Need to do more taste tests.

Hunts vs Heinz ketchup anyone?

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I swear 90 percent of all wine snobs couldn’t tell the difference between a $20 bottle and yellow tail at $9.    

This is as ignorant and stupid as saying most beer drinkers couldn’t tell the difference between Sierra Nevada and Budweiser. 

22 hours ago, Nolder said:

I've tried a few different wines and some were ok although I have no idea who made them.

I've never had a champagne I enjoyed.

I am...45% sure this is the wine I most enjoyed. It was in a big jug like this anyway.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Great.  We all like what we like.  Growing up in an Italian family in the 60s/70s, wine of choice for my folks was Gallo Burgundy.  

Your Champagne comment is anathema to me.  

Sierra Nevada beers are the best and most consistent in my opinion. The seasonal Summerfest and Celebration are amazing. There are just so many dozens of great beers now though.

aside from beer I love a great Chianti

On 6/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, southparkcpa said:

I swear 90 percent of all wine snobs couldn’t tell the difference between a $20 bottle and yellow tail at $9.    

Don't you just love wine snobs?

If (when) we win LOTTO, it will be Opus One and Chateau Neuf du Pape at each meal, but in the meantime, one can get some enjoyable wine at the $10-15 although it is a bit hit and miss. An interesting hint we learned a few years ago is that some Chilian wine labeled Cab. Suav. is often more like a  meritage because when they imported vines from France, merlot vines were mixed in. 

Wine snob story. We once went to a wine tasting at Ruth's, Fun events and you get a lot of food for the price. You sit with others around larger tables and it is often an interesting evening. We sit down and the person there introduces himself as a "leading" doctor (as oppossed to what, a rythm doctor?). Next thing out of his mouth is "So what's in your collection?"  I had no idea what he was talking about as there was no lead up or anything, so I say "well I have a bunch of Gibsons and Fenders but also two Andersons, a Grosh, a McInturff ...". He interrupts and says that he never heard of those vineyards so I say "oh. you mean wine, well maybe a few we are keeping in the basement but we'll drink them as soon as they peak". He replies, "Then you have no business being here" and proceeded to start reciting his huge collection. Not a Les Paul among it though.  

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Great.  We all like what we like.  Growing up in an Italian family in the 60s/70s, wine of choice for my folks was Gallo Burgundy.  

Your Champagne comment is anathema to me.  

To be fair I've had champagne twice...maybe three times ever.

Is there one you like?

3 hours ago, Nolder said:

To be fair I've had champagne twice...maybe three times ever.

Is there one you like?

I have never been able to develop a taste for champagne.  Wine is not meant to be carbonated.  

Beer, on the other hand, is meant to be carbonated, which is why I prefer a Samuel Smith Imperial Stout or a Founder's Breakfast Stout to a Guiness.  Although I will take a Guiness before a Bud or Miller 10 times out of 10.

Just my two cents.

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have never been able to develop a taste for champagne.  Wine is not meant to be carbonated.  

Beer, on the other hand, is meant to be carbonated, which is why I prefer a Samuel Smith Imperial Stout or a Founder's Breakfast Stout to a Guiness.  Although I will take a Guiness before a Bud or Miller 10 times out of 10.

Just my two cents.

My favorite is/was Newcastle Brown Ale but I heard semi recently that it was sold and the formula changed slightly. I haven't tried it since then so I don't know if I still like it or not. I'm pretty content with most common beers though.

Budweiser is fine (I really like the bud platinum), Crona Familiar is ok, I like Tecate, Dos Equies, Had Heinken once it was ok I guess, Pabst is fine. 805 is ok too. Haven't had Miller or Guiness. I don't like Coors or Modello.

For something different I do like Shock Top but only the first one or two after that the citrus flavor is just too much for me. The Ballast Point brand is ok too I've had a few different ones of that but I don't buy it regularly.

I was done with beer decades ago. I mean its nice to have one or two at a BBQ when nothing better is available and I understand most people dig it but why waste time peeing and expanding your gut when you could be lavishing your palate and enjoying the warm glow of top shelf whiskey?

On 6/26/2020 at 8:02 AM, JiF said:

Breaking this open tonight.   My inlaws Anniversary.

Have You Heard Of This Award Winning Japanese Whisky?

Update:

This sh*t is delicious, so smooth, tried the first sip neat so I could taste it all.   Really interesting blend of almost fruity, vanillan, cinnamon and pepper you could take the woody/oak to it as well.  Very smooth, very easy to drink, leaves your smacking your lips a bit.  Did an old fashioned with it after and it went very well in that mix.  

I'd give an 8 out 10 honestly.  It's was that good.

• Upvote 1

Since there has been some good tequila discussion in here...give me your best margarita recipe. I’ve been tinkering with various ratios, some with Cointreau, some with agave/simple syrup. Still looking for the elusive perfect one.

20 hours ago, PS17 said:

Since there has been some good tequila discussion in here...give me your best margarita recipe. I’ve been tinkering with various ratios, some with Cointreau, some with agave/simple syrup. Still looking for the elusive perfect one.

The one in my glass every time I finish one. 

If you drink Guinness Stout...stop now and switch to this.  My first experience was off the tap in England which was life-altering.  This is still very good and (IMO) the best stout you can get in a store here.  Unless you like flavored stouts in which case, try this anyway.

4pk-Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Beer, England (12oz) - Woods ...

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

need a good scotch to buy for a gift - recommendations?

@Stark

price? $100ish or less? 

I am more Bourbon but one of my buddies that is more of a Scotch person gets this all the time lately and it taste pretty damn good to me

2014091915_glendronach_15_years_old_web_original.png.e25ada11fb67951f6aeda0f764708fad.png

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2020 at 8:31 AM, JiF said:

Update:

This sh*t is delicious, so smooth, tried the first sip neat so I could taste it all.   Really interesting blend of almost fruity, vanillan, cinnamon and pepper you could take the woody/oak to it as well.  Very smooth, very easy to drink, leaves your smacking your lips a bit.  Did an old fashioned with it after and it went very well in that mix.  

I'd give an 8 out 10 honestly.  It's was that good.

I haven't had that one... my fried that has been working in Japan brought a bunch of bottles back with him a few years ago for our Fantasy Football Draft and these were the "keepers" so good and underrated at the time. 

1145709351_.thumb.JPG.15189c7ecb388f33fc6fec9a7a8da6cf.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/25/2020 at 12:39 PM, JiF said:

I go off and on between Tequila and Whiskey.

This sh*t right here?  Straight fire.  Cant put it down which sucks because it aint cheap.

m_5e09bcfb06d59c4e107f4811.jpg

Clase Azul Reposado.... i love this. My wife brough me a bottle of this and she realized she messed up. It is so good this never lasts..

Side note. for the money if you can find Teremana its pretty good for the price if you just want a $30 bottle of either "Silver" or "Reposado" and done want to drop $100+ every bottle. its damn smooth and I keep some chilled for the last few weeks (i have gone through 3 or 4 bottles of each)  and use it for guests and making Margaritas, Palomas or Brave Bulls... great for the cost.

1389362786_IMG_96402.thumb.JPG.a7298d3a71151a86acc0abe49c53d5a2.JPG 

• Upvote 1

So a friend of mine several years ago a European guy bought us a bottle of Becherovka Carlsbad, an herbal liqueur with a distinct strong but pleasant taste. I didn't know much about it until I read this blurb  https://www.touristsecrets.com/travel-guide/food-travel/becherovka-everything-about-czech-republics-national-drink/ . It's the national drink of the Czech Republic and popular esp in cold weather. I went there several years back but just drank beer and a lot of it esp with my wife's sister's husband a great drinking partner. I had planned on having a toast with my daughter who just left home for a new job but it will have to wait for another day. 

becherovka en vente - Collections | eBay

On 6/28/2020 at 1:22 PM, Lith said:

Just my two cents.

Cannot explain it, but the fresh Guinness you get in Dublin is practically a different product from anything you would get in the US-smooth, hoppy, drinkable. 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:49 PM, southparkcpa said:

I offer a lot of people a hundred dollar bet that we line up a 10  20 and 30 dollar bottle....  none take the bet.  

There are drinkable $10 bottles, and really crappy $30 bottles. But, in a taste test, if your $10 bottle is Barefoot or Yellow Tail, I think I'd pass. And I am no connoisseur. 

On 6/27/2020 at 9:11 PM, Butterfield said:

So, I drink like never.  But, I want to try real absinthe.  Has anyone imported it before?  What was your experience?  

I have definitely chased the green fairy, lol. Importing cases of the stuff from the Czech Republic was definitely a factor in my divorce. If you're not a big drinker, I really don't know if it'll be for you. It's got a very strong, bitter flavor. You'll want to do the whole slotted spoon/melt a sugar cube ritual. It's very druggy. 

Find a bartender who makes a good Sazerac. You can get an idea of the taste from just a splash of it in a whiskey. 

On 6/29/2020 at 12:03 PM, PS17 said:

Basic margarita for me is two parts blanco tequila, one part Cointreau, one part fresh squeezed lime juice, a squirt of agave per 2 oz. of tequila. For a little richer or heavier taste, substitute Grand Marnier for the Cointreau. Another tasty option is to replace 1/4-1/3 of the tequila with mezcal. The smokey flavor isn't for everyone, but I really like it. You'll have to play with it to find the ratio that works for you.