All Things Alcohol

16 hours ago, Bugg said:

Cannot explain it, but the fresh Guinness you get in Dublin is practically a different product from anything you would get in the US-smooth, hoppy, drinkable. 

Totally agree. My brother and I drank fresh Guinness (seen below) at the Factory in Dublin and it was seriously delicious. American Guinness is awful. Stout in general does not travel well so you're better off drinking the local brews.

Lb4dnzaUQxWEXKwl8BWbog_thumb_2d95.thumb.jpg.83359491bbd5ec1f37a930ff04ebc540.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, PS17 said:

Totally agree. My brother and I drank fresh Guinness (seen below) at the Factory in Dublin and it was seriously delicious. American Guinness is awful. Stout in general does not travel well so you're better off drinking the local brews.

Lb4dnzaUQxWEXKwl8BWbog_thumb_2d95.thumb.jpg.83359491bbd5ec1f37a930ff04ebc540.jpg

So, as a guy who loves stouts, but does not care for Guinness, you are telling me that I should be planning a vacation to Ireland next summer.  Sounds like a plan.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

So, as a guy who loves stouts, but does not care for Guinness, you are telling me that I should be planning a vacation to Ireland next summer.  Sounds like a plan.

Dublin was incredible. It’s not nearly as beautiful as Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam, etc. but the energy and spirit and people make the city electric. And the countryside is beautiful. Cliffs of Moher too.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

OK, I am impressed. All these celebrities have their own vineyards. Coppola is a quite popular medium priced offering and GTS (Seaver's) is highly rated. Now you can get a very reasonably priced bottle from yet another famous person:

2090605193_TheCrusher.thumb.JPG.7479589f62359803959d5b7fd52595b6.JPG

Let me guess. Its flavor is reminiscent of fine aged pizza with a hint of pepperoni.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

We liked to go to North Fork area wineries here on Long Island. Some of them on weekends have music and outdoor tables.  You can bring your own lunch, etc. They had one guy who was with a well known rock group in the '60's doing a one man show last year and he was pretty good doing 50's and '60's music at Pindar Wineries in Peconic. He gave you a good show and a free show. You just had to buy a bottle of wine that's all.  They are actually open for business we were thinking of taking a ride and seeing how it looks. If too many people we can nix it. We liked Spring Splendor a blush wine flavored with cranberries, kind of semi dry.

Spring Splendor

We went on a Canada cruise last year and the cruise line was MSC an Italian company. They had a special on their own brand of limoncello so we bought two bottles. Finally opened one up for the 4th last night and had a small toast. It's strong, stronger than you think. You should drink it chilled. We put a little seltzer in it after the initial burst. It's tasty, a good aperitif.  cr6p89vf8op4tup3ezmq.jpg

• Sympathy 1

On 7/5/2020 at 9:09 AM, Rangers9 said:

We went on a Canada cruise last year and the cruise line was MSC an Italian company. They had a special on their own brand of limoncello so we bought two bottles. Finally opened one up for the 4th last night and had a small toast. It's strong, stronger than you think. You should drink it chilled. We put a little seltzer in it after the initial burst. It's tasty, a good aperitif.  

When I lived in the SF bay Area, had a lemon tree that produced a ton of huge, gorgeous lemons.  Every year, I'd make a batch of limoncello for family and friends.  I used 100 proof vodka or aquavit as my steeping spirit.

Also, big shout out to lemon flowers on the plant, which might be the most beautiful smell in the world.   So sweetly fragrant.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

When I lived in the SF bay Area, had a lemon tree that produced a ton of huge, gorgeous lemons.  Every year, I'd make a batch of limoncello for family and friends.  I used 100 proof vodka or aquavit as my steeping spirit.

Also, big shout out to lemon flowers on the plant, which might be the most beautiful smell in the world.   So sweetly fragrant.

I’ve always loved lemon everything, but it hit a snobbish level after my wife and I came back from Ravello and Positano a few years ago. For a good month afterwards, we put lemon in everything and then complained that the lemons just aren’t like they are in Italy. And yes, the flowers are the best smelling part of the whole tree - even better than the fruit itself!

• Sympathy 2

15 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’ve always loved lemon everything, but it hit a snobbish level after my wife and I came back from Ravello and Positano a few years ago. For a good month afterwards, we put lemon in everything and then complained that the lemons just aren’t like they are in Italy. And yes, the flowers are the best smelling part of the whole tree - even better than the fruit itself!

Kudos to you and your wife for taking that trip to those gorgeous towns.  Did you try or see cedro, that massive citrus fruit?  It's slightly different than lemons, but what a fragrance.  Also has the most volatile oil, which would be incredible for making limoncello.

59 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Lemons now are so overdone with hormones. Too bad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Kudos to you and your wife for taking that trip to those gorgeous towns.  Did you try or see cedro, that massive citrus fruit?  It's slightly different than lemons, but what a fragrance.  Also has the most volatile oil, which would be incredible for making limoncello.

Cedros were everywhere we went on the coast - Sorrento and Capri were essentially using them as tourist attractions. We never actually cut it open to try it.

On our second day in Ravello, we were walking down to Amalfi to check out the church and grab a bite before sunset. An elderly farmer on the other side of the road clearly going home with a sack of fruits after a hard day’s work saw us, crossed the street, and handed my wife a cedro, “por Bella”. She kept taking it out and smelling it for the rest of the evening, but as we had no use for it, she gave it to some kid on the street at the end of the night. 

I think we only tried a few limoncellos that we actually enjoyed. Most were just simple syrup with a hint of lemon and a drop of alcohol. Wouldn’t be surprised if the ones we enjoyed were made from cedros as opposed to lemons.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Cedros were everywhere we went on the coast - Sorrento and Capri were essentially using them as tourist attractions. We never actually cut it open to try it.

On our second day in Ravello, we were walking down to Amalfi to check out the church and grab a bite before sunset. An elderly farmer on the other side of the road clearly going home with a sack of fruits after a hard day’s work saw us, crossed the street, and handed my wife a cedro, “por Bella”. She kept taking it out and smelling it for the rest of the evening, but as we had no use for it, she gave it to some kid on the street at the end of the night. 

I think we only tried a few limoncellos that we actually enjoyed. Most were just simple syrup with a hint of lemon and a drop of alcohol. Wouldn’t be surprised if the ones we enjoyed were made from cedros as opposed to lemons.

What a great story/memory.  Making me wistful for walking around small town Italy (pre Covid...lol)  You're right.  Most limoncellos are cloyingly sweet.  I always made mine with just enough sweetness to balance the spirit.

The cedro "liquore" I had was strong and much drier than limoncello.  Think it may have had grappa as the spirit.

EDIT:  Found it.  Here's the one I was served.  From a very good grappa producer.

liq_nar7.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

What a great story/memory.  Making me wistful for walking around small town Italy (pre Covid...lol)  You're right.  Most limoncellos are cloyingly sweet.  I always made mine with just enough sweetness to balance the spirit.

The cedro "liquore" I had was strong and much drier than limoncello.  Think it may have had grappa as the spirit.

EDIT:  Found it.  Here's the one I was served.  From a very good grappa producer.

liq_nar7.jpg

I’ll have to find a way to get one!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Nolder said:

Bought a hard cider variety pack the other day on a whim. Never had hard cider before. It's ok. Very sweet so basically an apple soda with a little alcohol. Probably wont get again but it was fun to try.

I went through this a few years back.  As you point out, most ciders are too sweet.  BUT, there are many out there which are dry (my preference).  

I had a bunch while in France from Normandy which were bone dry.  Difficult to find here.

Here's one I liked:

5c8ad2f910ed651a92b68d8c_Joker%206pack.p

This one from England was pretty good, but expensive.

44917.jpg  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I went through this a few years back.  As you point out, most ciders are too sweet.  BUT, there are many out there which are dry (my preference).  

I had a bunch while in France from Normandy which were bone dry.  Difficult to find here.

Here's one I liked:

5c8ad2f910ed651a92b68d8c_Joker%206pack.p

This one from England was pretty good, but expensive.

44917.jpg  

Huh, ok thanks maybe I'll give'em a try if I see them while I'm out.

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, PS17 said:

True story from my visit to St. James gate....Went to the Brewery the day of the 1999 AFC Championship game vs. the Broncos with my Ex-Fiance... we were engaged at the time, but decided to "take a break" later in '99 and never got back together again. LOL.

Anyway, went the day of the game, was wearing a Chrebet Jersey (Baseball style, I still have it) walking around, went to the brewery tour, and wound up hanging out with a bus full of Senior Citizens,  all from New York there for a group tour or whatever, we had a great time with them during the tour.. 

At the end of the brewery and museum tour, you go to the bar with the 'Drink Ticket" you get with the entry fee, it's not a cash bar, you get your "Complimentary ' sample Pint, buy Merch, and leave. Well, that's what your SUPPOSED to do.

So, at the end of the Tour, after getting the fun old fogies to do the Jets chant, thoroughly entertaining the Brits and Irish present, the spokesperson of the group says, "Gee Brian, you seem like a decent fella....none of us are planning to drink a beer....do you want our drink tickets?". Uh, yes please. 

So I get tickets for about 50 Complimentary Pints of Guinness, slide the Bar Maid a nice tip, and Myself, She who shall not be named, and 4 American Soldiers on Leave from an Artillery Battalion in Germany spent the next few hours enjoying fresh from the factory Guinness with a revolving cast of tourists and Brewery staff. I still have a couple of pictures from that day. 

Needless to say, by the time we got to the "All American Sports Cafe" in Temple Bar to watch the games (got there just in time to see the missed Minnesota FG), we had quite a head start.  

Good times.

Oh, but I liked Galway much better than Dublin....

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:58 PM, slats said:

Basic margarita for me is two parts blanco tequila, one part Cointreau, one part fresh squeezed lime juice, a squirt of agave per 2 oz. of tequila. For a little richer or heavier taste, substitute Grand Marnier for the Cointreau. Another tasty option is to replace 1/4-1/3 of the tequila with mezcal. The smokey flavor isn't for everyone, but I really like it. You'll have to play with it to find the ratio that works for you. 

Bar we like makes one addition, fresh squeezed orange juice equal to lime juice. Gives it sweetness without turning it to candy. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I happened to have a lemon and a lime soda just sitting in the fridge and I figured why not try to make a drink out of it? So I juiced the lemon and started pouring and here's what I came up with.

1.5 oz Gin

1.5 oz Vodka

1.25 oz Lemon Juice

Top with lime soda

Note: this drink was a failure! Do not make!

PktxRXS.jpg

It came out very sour you can barely taste the lime or sugar from the soda. If I was to make it again I'd back it down to at least half an ounce of lemon juice, maybe even less. Silver lining I can't taste the booze at all so there's that I guess.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:49 PM, southparkcpa said:

I offer a lot of people a hundred dollar bet that we line up a 10  20 and 30 dollar bottle....  none take the bet.  

$10 and $30 I could manage, $20 and $30 would be a guess. I can tell really cheap wine and good wine ($200++) between $10 and $100 is largely indiscernible to me, 

On 7/18/2020 at 12:02 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

True story from my visit to St. James gate....Went to the Brewery the day of the 1999 AFC Championship game vs. the Broncos with my Ex-Fiance... we were engaged at the time, but decided to "take a break" later in '99 and never got back together again. LOL.

Anyway, went the day of the game, was wearing a Chrebet Jersey (Baseball style, I still have it) walking around, went to the brewery tour, and wound up hanging out with a bus full of Senior Citizens,  all from New York there for a group tour or whatever, we had a great time with them during the tour.. 

At the end of the brewery and museum tour, you go to the bar with the 'Drink Ticket" you get with the entry fee, it's not a cash bar, you get your "Complimentary ' sample Pint, buy Merch, and leave. Well, that's what your SUPPOSED to do.

So, at the end of the Tour, after getting the fun old fogies to do the Jets chant, thoroughly entertaining the Brits and Irish present, the spokesperson of the group says, "Gee Brian, you seem like a decent fella....none of us are planning to drink a beer....do you want our drink tickets?". Uh, yes please. 

So I get tickets for about 50 Complimentary Pints of Guinness, slide the Bar Maid a nice tip, and Myself, She who shall not be named, and 4 American Soldiers on Leave from an Artillery Battalion in Germany spent the next few hours enjoying fresh from the factory Guinness with a revolving cast of tourists and Brewery staff. I still have a couple of pictures from that day. 

Needless to say, by the time we got to the "All American Sports Cafe" in Temple Bar to watch the games (got there just in time to see the missed Minnesota FG), we had quite a head start.  

Good times.

Oh, but I liked Galway much better than Dublin....

Fun story! 

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

So one of our kids brought over a 12 pack of Leinenkugel’s Oktoberfest. It is really very good. image.thumb.jpeg.01c7031162c026623e6ab6dd0c612fee.jpeg

I love when the various breweries release Oktoberfest brews.  Although now, some started producing it all year round.  I had some of my favorite Spaten a few weeks back.

w66894818n_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...