Since Douglas didn't hire Gase.............

How attached you think JD is to Gase? I get the whole 'they were pals from Bears days etc and even stayed friends, BUTTTT, he did not hire Gase. So with all candidates out there do you think JD hires Gase if he had chance originally?

Now lets assume Gase doesnt make playoffs (and JD smart procuring of 6 year deal, 4 with 'new coach??') and lets say JD fires Gase.

Based on JDs past teams, coaches he has been with, his style, etc, can you name a few candidates you think JD may hire assuming it his 100% choice?

I know he has history with Greg Roman, Jim Schwartz and Chuck Pagano, Mike Pettine, ????

Name the guys you think JD may be looking at?

Unfortunately, it seems highly unlikely the coaching decision (firing or hiring) will be Douglas' to make.  We can only hope whichever Johnson brother is running the show when the time comes decides they've had enough of Gase and finally see the light on not being stupid enough to leave hiring decisions to either themselves or some idiotic consulting company.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Unfortunately, it seems highly unlikely the coaching decision (firing or hiring) will be Douglas' to make.  We can only hope whichever Johnson brother is running the show when the time comes decides they've had enough of Gase and finally see the light on not being stupid enough to leave hiring decisions to either themselves or some idiotic consulting company.

smh

play along

38 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

I know, so answer my question,,what coaches you think JD may like?

ah it's so early to tell but I'd hope that Greg Roman gets a call at least. Ideally Gase coaches well this year and we can keep some continuity 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

How attached you think JD is to Gase? I get the whole 'they were pals from Bears days etc and even stayed friends, BUTTTT, he did not hire Gase. So with all candidates out there do you think JD hires Gase if he had chance originally?

Now lets assume Gase doesnt make playoffs (and JD smart procuring of 6 year deal, 4 with 'new coach??') and lets say JD fires Gase.

Based on JDs past teams, coaches he has been with, his style, etc, can you name a few candidates you think JD may hire assuming it his 100% choice?

I know he has history with Greg Roman, Jim Schwartz and Chuck Pagano, Mike Pettine, ????

Where did he cross paths with Roman?

Considering the work JD has done so far, I'd venture to say that his arrangement with the Jets includes the agreement that Johnson stays out of his hair.  If he tells Johson that Gase's services are no longer needed, Johnson wont get in the way.  I'm equally sure the next HC hire by the Jets will be all JD and ZERO Johnson...

The question is, since Gase was instrumental in bringing in JD, how much more slack will JD give Gase ??? Do we have to see Gase again in the big chair for 2021 even if he chalks up an underwhelming performance ???

Another thought on the subject.... If JD wants to sh*t-can Gase, and avoid tension in his relationship with him, JD can hide behind Johnson.  It was Johnson that gave the word.  

Gase gets two more years I think.

If at the end of those two years Douglas is thinking of letting him go, he’s probably not going to re sign Darnold either, because if Jets offense was terrible for those next two years, Sam was also.

Unless of course we’re still playing the “Sam needs weaponzzz” game, which would mean Douglas has to go with both of them also.

5 hours ago, nico002 said:

Gase hired Douglas 

I think Douglas would have been hired regardless and that his friendship with Gase has been widely misconstrued.  They met with the bears.  Gase was a coach, Douglas was a scout.  I don’t think it’s like they’re best men in each other’s weddings

10 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I think Douglas would have been hired regardless and that his friendship with Gase has been widely misconstrued.  They met with the bears.  Gase was a coach, Douglas was a scout.  I don’t think it’s like they’re best men in each other’s weddings

Whatever helps you sleep at night 

9 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

OMFG! Can we play one complete season with Douglas/Gase before you guys fantasize about who hates who and who wins the imaginary power struggle!

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2

They're not attached at the hip but they appear to have at least have a good relationship from their time with the Bears(and obviously now at the Jets).

Gase will get at least two more years unless the train really goes off the rails next year(and even then with the COVID-19 situation, who even knows if they want to make a huge change like hiring a new head coach).

I think after years of  the Jets organization doing everything wrong, Chris Johnson finally got it right.

I think Chris Johnson, Adam Gase, Joe Douglas and Greg Williams, along with Savage and Hogan, have a real chance.

I think we will see some leadership, continuity, and consistency to bring the team and organization in the right direction for the first time in a long time.

This is a much-needed change that is well past due. I have a high hopes for everything that is going on right now. I think these guys have a plan I think they're all in and they're all on the same page. Correct me if I'm wrong but there were no coaching changes made to the staff at all this offseason?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

this topic just keeps coming up.  imo it's pretty irrelevant at the moment and really won't be relevant until mid season at the earliest.  the tone of the team should be well established by game 8.  yeah i get that they finished 6-2 but at the same time they started out 1-7.  they need to start much faster and get into a winning groove a lot earlier.  i know some think gase could be seen doing a better coaching job but finishing with a losing record because of the schedule strength.  i don't buy that.  gase needs a winning record.

18 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

One name that I think he would consider, given his experience with John Harbough is Dave Toub the Chiefs Special Teams coach.  Toub is an extremely well respected coach who has worked under Reid for the past few years.  He is a guy who could actually retain Williams but would need to find a very competent OC as he isnt an offensive Xs and Os guy.

The tough thing is that if we go 4-12 it likely means Sam doesnt improve which puts the whole organization in a precarious spot as far as picking a QB in the top 10.  

What the organization needs from JD is to sift through the record and see whether or not Gase is cut out to be a good NFL coach.  If we go 8-8, Sam improves but Gase struggles with the locker room, isnt innovative on offense and continues to prove that "he is who he is", JD could use the cap space, young QB and hopefully his reputation to possibly get an Eric Bienemy or other offensive mind to come in and get the offense to where it needs to be.  

This team can win 7/8 games and at the same time, Gase can prove that he isnt the guy for the job - those two things can both happen, its just not easy for JD to make that move

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

First off,  why are we even having this discussion? Everyone needs to hope Gase works out. I was as big of an anti-Gase guy as there was on this board last season. I saw nothing to make me think he has a handle on coaching this team but he is still the coach for the foreseeable future so I am fully supporting him to remain the HC and hoping he does get this team to the playoffs and develops Darnold into a legit FQB. We don't  want a new HC every 2 years. 

Also, this whole thing is based on something that does not exist. All the HC JD has been around  were hired by someone else.  How can anyone say this guy is a JD guy? How do we even know he liked any of the HC he has worked with or how much say he had when they were hired. I mean what are you basing your guess on?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, rangerous said:

this topic just keeps coming up.  imo it's pretty irrelevant at the moment and really won't be relevant until mid season at the earliest.  the tone of the team should be well established by game 8.  yeah i get that they finished 6-2 but at the same time they started out 1-7.  they need to start much faster and get into a winning groove a lot earlier.  i know some think gase could be seen doing a better coaching job but finishing with a losing record because of the schedule strength.  i don't buy that.  gase needs a winning record.

Hmmm...  I'm expecting another slow start this year. Jets have a lot of work to do on their OL and their WR corps, and none of it's getting done yet. The worst offense in the league in leaning heavily on a pair of rookies to help elevate them. Parcells would say, add one loss for every rookie starter. Jets have at least two on offense and maybe Davis on defense. Then, the other answer at WR is supposed to be Breshad Perriman... ? 

Ugh. It sucks, but I really see another "incomplete," for this year. Hopefully another strong finish that they can build upon, rather than having it interrupted by a pandemic. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I think after years of  the Jets organization doing everything wrong, Chris Johnson finally got it right.

I think Chris Johnson, Adam Gase, Joe Douglas and Greg Williams, along with Savage and Hogan, have a real chance.

I think we will see some leadership, continuity, and consistency to bring the team and organization in the right direction for the first time in a long time.

This is a much-needed change that is well past due. I have a high hopes for everything that is going on right now. I think these guys have a plan I think they're all in and they're all on the same page. Correct me if I'm wrong but there were no coaching changes made to the staff at all this offseason?

That’s exactly the same attitude I have every year......... until the season starts. ?

19 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

So with all candidates out there do you think JD hires Gase if he had chance originally?

What candidates?

Two unproven small college coaches and a long time GB coach accused of being behind the times by his HOF QB, who he didnt get along with and couldn't win as many games as Gase when Rodgers was hurt? 

Dont think anyone else was legitimately available to us.  Not like there was a. slam dunk anywhere.  

14 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Gase gets two more years I think.

If at the end of those two years Douglas is thinking of letting him go, he’s probably not going to re sign Darnold either, because if Jets offense was terrible for those next two years, Sam was also.

Unless of course we’re still playing the “Sam needs weaponzzz” game, which would mean Douglas has to go with both of them also.

Or unless of course unless Darnold plays well but the team loses.

Lots of teams get good to really good QB play and dont win

See Detroit.  5K yard machine and losses piled up to the rafters.  

Or like your defense of Baker last season.  Oh wait, he had plenty of weapons.  Just couldn't win

Sorry to kill your imagined opening to kill Darnold in a thread he doesnt belong in, lol

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or unless of course unless Darnold plays well but the team loses.

Lots of teams get decent to good QB play and dont win

See Detroit.  5K yard machine and losses piled up to the rafters.  

Or like your defense of Baker last season.  Oh wait, he had plenty of weapons.  Just couldn't win

Sorry to kill your imagined opening to kill Darnold in a thread he doesnt belong in, lol

Curses! Foiled again!!!  ?

• Haha 1