Hall of Fame Game canceled; HoF ceremony pushed back indefinitely

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nah, the HOF game is 10 days before the NFL's preseason starts.  And if the NFL decides to reduce this year's preseason schedule to 2 games, that means they just bought themselves 21 days before two teams actually have to face each other on the field.

A smart move due to the recent flare-ups in warm weather states whose residents decided to party without masks on Memorial Day.

SAR I

My post was a joking reference to the old Bob Uecker line from Major League(?).

in all seriousness though, I’m starting to think best case scenario will be a season that’s delayed until around November.

you brought up the recent spikes in different states. Look at the policy our tri-state governors implanted yesterday. Right now teams wouldn’t be able to travel into and play a game in NJ.

As far as sports go, check out the developments with the PGA Tour... if a sport like golf is having problems, even without fans, I don’t see how contact sports return very soon.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see sports happening this year.

The NFL has the advantage that they can watch how MLB fares for almost a month before playing any games. If multiple baseball players test positive when their season starts, I think it will be very hard for football to start their season on time. Maybe late fall, but not in September. If at all.

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

What if everybody wears a mask?

You know make it mandatory. 

It's mandatory now and very few are doing it. As long as people blather on about "you can't make me do...." None of this mandatory bs is going to matter.

21 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

in all seriousness though, I’m starting to think best case scenario will be a season that’s delayed until around November.

What happens if COVID-19 numbers stay the same through the summer?  

Push back to November?  

And if they still dont change?  

What December?

I think they play in September the question will be with or without fans in the stands

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nah, the HOF game is 10 days before the NFL's preseason starts.  And if the NFL decides to reduce this year's preseason schedule to 2 games, that means they just bought themselves 21 days before two teams actually have to face each other on the field.

A smart move due to the recent flare-ups in warm weather states whose residents decided to party without masks on Memorial Day.

SAR I

Considering all of our initial Covid-19 cases originated from out of state travelers fleeing their initial zones of infection, I'd say the atrocious tespomsenand lack of real effort (Beyond PR and pandering) in places like the Greater NYC area are the source of our issues. 

And yes, I assisted the epidemiology investigation regarding initial vectoring for First wave cases in Palm Beach County. 

The vast majority of First Wave infections here were brought down here by snow birds returning to their winter homes in various communities, or visitors coming to Florida and staying with relatives to escape the pandemic. My team and I personally tracked down a single person who flew down from LI to visit her father in March and directly contributed to 7 confirmed Covid deaths in a single Senior Living Residence.

Meanwhile, with Cuomo grandstanding on Television, and the usual New York demands for help from the rest of the nation, we had to make due with less while all of the supplies and PPE were routed to the North East, because you people couldn't figure out that mass public transit and a horizontal city structure based on recirculating air and elevators was a prime situation for spread of disease.

Thanks, New York.....

Keep your snark to yourself. We remember 2 months ago, when your area was on the Nightly News looking like Outbreak.

Smugness is a bad look for folks in an area that propagated a plague, and then allowed mobs to run wild destroying and looting.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean you have to actually do something to get paid. That’s kind of how everything works.

Lol obviously. I just meant if they cancel the season then no player would lose money if they felt unsafe to play. Whereas if there is a season...they're damned either way. 

7 minutes ago, neurotik said:

Lol obviously. I just meant if they cancel the season then no player would lose money if they felt unsafe to play. Whereas if there is a season...they're damned either way. 

Unless the players refuse to play, I think the season will happen. I dont see a positive test as it being "damned." Soccer has been playing. If a player tests positive he has to miss two weeks in isolation, teams adapt and move forward, have players on standby...at some point there has to be a procedure in place in terms of playing through. As long as players are following procedure I think this is manageable.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What happens if COVID-19 numbers stay the same through the summer?  

Push back to November?  

And if they still dont change?  

What December?

I think they play in September the question will be with or without fans in the stands

I thought the same thing until very recently Nut.

The landscape keeps changing though. Spikes where there weren’t major problems before, and in places like California which reopened after taking very serious precautions.

The situation seems to have improved up here, but do we really know if it will stay that way?

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, but looking at what’s happening on the PGA Tour concerns me. They’re doing everything they can to control the environment on the course, but simply cannot control the environment outside of it.

Try to find thearticle by the golf writer Alan Shipnuck from a day or two ago, it’s an interesting read.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I thought the same thing until very recently Nut.

The landscape keeps changing though. Spikes where there weren’t major problems before, and in places like California which reopened after taking very serious precautions.

The situation seems to have improved up here, but do we really know if it will stay that way?

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, but looking at what’s happening on the PGA Tour concerns me. They’re doing everything they can to control the environment on the course, but simply cannot control the environment outside of it.

Try to find thearticle by the golf writer Alan Shipnuck from a day or two ago, it’s an interesting read.

The PGA situation is scary.  Shows however careful you get, theres no way you can totally avoid contact.  Caddies are handing clubs to players, balls to players, umbrellas etc.  You have to fly to matches, check into hotels, eat out, take out, whatever, its not really quarantining by the book

Tough call, one poster was going off how Im compromised so theres no comparison and players are 20 year old stud athletes making for a different story.   But what about GMs, HC's, coaches/coordinators, trainers, etc?  They dont count?  Pats without Belichick, Ravens, Seattle, Rams etc without their HCs?  One gets COVID-19 then what?   

What if Greg Williams goes down here?  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

My post was a joking reference to the old Bob Uecker line from Major League(?).

you brought up the recent spikes in different states. Look at the policy our tri-state governors implanted yesterday. Right now teams wouldn’t be able to travel into and play a game in NJ.

As far as sports go, check out the developments with the PGA Tour... if a sport like golf is having problems, even without fans, I don’t see how contact sports return very soon.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see sports happening this year.

I think that a full season will be played.  Football, unlike any of the other major sports, can be played year round.  NFL can delay the season to a December start if they want and end it with a Super Bowl in May.  

At some point a full season will be played.  Just a matter of when it starts IMO.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm starting to think 2020 Season is a wash. Of course.

I've said here (and on its predecessor) that if the Jets ever get a legitimate FQB on the roster, the world will end, or Football will be cancelled,  or something insane will happen to prevent him from playing. And here we are. We get Darnold, and he has to face Boss Levels of ever increasing difficulty....

Level 1: Todd Bowles and MacCagnan incompetence

Level 2: Mono

Level 3: Global Pandemic and a collapsing society

Level 4: Godzilla? Alien Invasion?

The prophesy was true....

I wasn't sure if I should choose the "laugh" emoji or the "sad" emoji.  It does feel like fate is against this franchise no matter what.  (though obviously the real world is what matters, not sports).

31 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Keep your snark to yourself. We remember 2 months ago, when your area was on the Nightly News looking like Outbreak.

Smugness is a bad look for folks in an area that propagated a plague, and then allowed mobs to run wild destroying and looting.

I am being neither snarky or smug; just stating fact.  Whether Floridians or snowbirds, the 4-6 week delay from the crisis in NYC to reaching the likes of Florida in critical mass should have been evidence enough that all people, regardless of where their primary home is, shouldn't have been on crowded beaches and in bars with no social distance and no masks.  That's still happening here, by the way.  I can't go out even though we're Phase 2 because what I've seen driving through town or at school supply drop-off events is beyond discouraging.  I'd estimate that 75% of people, young and old, aren't wearing masks or social distancing.

I believe the NFL will play a full season without fans.  That's what I see if what's going on up here where (supposedly) we're on the way to recovery plays out everywhere else.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I am being neither snarky or smug; just stating fact.  Whether Floridians or snowbirds, the 4-6 week delay from the crisis in NYC to reaching the likes of Florida in critical mass should have been evidence enough that all people, regardless of where their primary home is, shouldn't have been on crowded beaches and in bars with no social distance and no masks.  That's still happening here, by the way.  I can't go out even though we're Phase 2 because what I've seen driving through town or at school supply drop-off events is beyond discouraging.  I'd estimate that 75% of people, young and old, aren't wearing masks or social distancing.

I believe the NFL will play a full season without fans.  That's what I see if what's going on up here where (supposedly) we're on the way to recovery plays out everywhere else.  

SAR I

In all honesty, I think the NFL kowtows to Fauci et al and the season is either abridged starting in October/November,  or is just scrubbed.  

As to Covid, I have come to believe that the only way through this is to stop pretending that masks and social distancing will do anything but allow people to virtue signal while actually prolonging the problem. Shelter most threatened population In place and continue ramped up clean/Decon public places properly and allow the rest of society to develop herd immunity while researchers develop better treatments or a vaccine. 

The rest is just window dressing. Most masks people wear are crap, people touching their masks is just as bad as touching your face, cross contamination will happen regardless. The answer is SCIENCE, not hiding in fear. 

Just my. 02

• Upvote 2

They just said on First Take that it was the HOF that canceled the game, not the NFL. 

They are two separate entities. 

Personally I think the season will go on and the cancelling of this has no bearing on whether the NFL will cancel anything. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Unless the players refuse to play, I think the season will happen. I dont see a positive test as it being "damned." Soccer has been playing. If a player tests positive he has to miss two weeks in isolation, teams adapt and move forward, have players on standby...at some point there has to be a procedure in place in terms of playing through. As long as players are following procedure I think this is manageable.  

I agree. The NFL stands to lose too much money if their is no season, so I also think their will be one. Even though right now the NFL doesn't look to have any plan I think they'll figure something out. 

7 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

This doesn't sound good for players like Adams and others seeking big $$. As teams face games with no fans, or canceled games, the reduced revenue will surely lower the cap allotment for next year.

Yep.  And I'll just be over here like 

Chris Evans Laughing GIF by mtv

GFY Jamal.

• Haha 1

I’ve believed all along that it’d be ten games starting in November. We can laugh at red states whose politicians were trolling NY and Cali not too long ago all day long, but the bottom line is that no place is safe from an outbreak, and (given all the flare ups already among college programs), when these players get together, they’re going to catch it. They’ll survive, but eventually some 65 year old locker room attendant is going to die and it’s going to look like sh*t for the whole league. It’s a mess. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

so is Jet engine suggesting Texas and Arizona should continue being open and no masks or social distrancing ....

going for the herd immunity?

I like Jet Engine, but these governors flaunted their reopenings and minimized COVID and the need for masks over a month ago. The time for them to blame NY or China or anyone else for their problems is long past. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like Jet Engine, but these governors flaunted their reopenings and minimized COVID and the need for masks over a month ago. The time for them to blame NY or China or anyone else for their problems is long past. 

These governors also dont have their brother to throw them unearned bouquets on network television every evening. Desantis is a Yale UG, Harvard Law grad, and not a legacy either. He's not an idiot. If you get it and you take the proper precautions, it may be how we end up beating this thing. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

These governors also dont have their brother to throw them unearned bouquets on network television every evening. Desantis is a Yale UG, Harvard Law grad, and not a legacy either. He's not an idiot. If you get it and you take the proper precautions, it may be how we end up beating this thing. 

It wasn’t a defense of Cuomo and I’d cut my eyeball open before defending anything on CNN. I was only referring to JE’s apparent point about this being a NY problem. It’s irrelevant now. The warnings were there, not just for DeSantis, et. al., but for NYC, Oregon, and Cali, too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

It wasn’t a defense of Cuomo and I’d cut my eyeball open before defending anything on CNN. I was only referring to JE’s apparent point about this being a NY problem. It’s irrelevant now. The warnings were there, not just for DeSantis, et. al., but for NYC, Oregon, and Cali, too. 

Of course, and they moved things along too quickly, especially with bars being open. However the numbers are spiking with younger people now it seems (my wife tested positive on Monday somehow). At this point I think a positive test could ultimately be a good thing in terms of getting back to normal if people take the proper precautions. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Of course, and they moved things along too quickly, especially with bars being open. However the numbers are spiking with younger people now it seems (my wife tested positive on Monday somehow). At this point I think a positive test could ultimately be a good thing in terms of getting back to normal if people take the proper precautions. 

The whole thing is just frustrating as **** because it looked like we were out of the woods and now we’re canceling football games. Best of luck to you guys. Stay safe and I hope she gets better soon. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

The whole thing is just frustrating as **** because it looked like we were out of the woods and now we’re canceling football games. Best of luck to you guys. Stay safe and I hope she gets better soon. 

Thx man, I got the test yesterday. Negative and also negative for the antibodies which was interesting. Worst symptoms are gone for her, but just fatigued now. 

• Sympathy 3

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i wasn't gonna even address the antiNY bit...   and , fwiw, they didnt react early enough, imo

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve believed all along that it’d be ten games starting in November. We can laugh at red states whose politicians were trolling NY and Cali not too long ago all day long, but the bottom line is that no place is safe from an outbreak, and (given all the flare ups already among college programs), when these players get together, they’re going to catch it. They’ll survive, but eventually some 65 year old locker room attendant is going to die and it’s going to look like sh*t for the whole league. It’s a mess. 

The PGA is handling this very well, but they are not a team sport, stuffed in locker rooms, meeting rooms with elderly coaches and obese offensive lineman. The PGA can send a couple of golfers home every week and just move on (most of these voluntarily miss weeks anyway), it's not that simple in football but there is too much at stake for both sides to just blow off the entire season. 

Globally, I think we all just need to learn to live with this and make smarter decisions. Wear masks in public when practical. Avoid large gatherings, especially indoors, wash your hands and hope drugs (Remdesivir) and other treatments continue to lower the mortality rate. 

As for Malcolm Jenkins, good for him. No one should be forced to play in this environment. If he wants to forgo his paycheck and risk some younger player taking over his starting job that's his right. I certainly don't think he speaks for the majority of the league when some of them are about to get their biggest/last paycheck in their NFL career. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think cancelling the HOF game is any indication of how likely we are to see football this season. It's a 5th pre-season game for 2 teams (no need to expose players any more than the usual 4) and there was never going to be a HOF enshrinement in this environment. 

I'd also bet that we may see 1-2 Pre-season games cancelled this year just to reduce the risk of spread before the season starts. 

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

In all honesty, I think the NFL kowtows to Fauci et al and the season is either abridged starting in October/November,  or is just scrubbed.  

Agreed.  I think the season will start in December.  We'll see.

As to Covid, I have come to believe that the only way through this is to stop pretending that masks and social distancing will do anything but allow people to virtue signal while actually prolonging the problem.

How are masks and social distancing a form of virtue signaling?  That's a bizarre theory.  It's just common sense that if we stay away from each other and wear some sort of a barrier the droplets will be better contained.  When I go food shopping every 14 days I wear a mask and eye protection and I'm not doing it to send a message, I'm doing it to avoid getting sick.

The rest is just window dressing. Most masks people wear are crap, people touching their masks is just as bad as touching your face, cross contamination will happen regardless. The answer is SCIENCE, not hiding in fear. 

The way I see it, things started to improve when NYC mandated that masks must be worn in public spaces.  Sure, if half the masks are crap that's not helping, but the other half are.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agreed.  I think the season will start in December.  We'll see.

How are masks and social distancing a form of virtue signaling?  That's a bizarre theory.  It's just common sense that if we stay away from each other and wear some sort of a barrier the droplets will be better contained.  When I go food shopping every 14 days I wear a mask and eye protection and I'm not doing it to send a message, I'm doing it to avoid getting sick.

The way I see it, things started to improve when NYC mandated that masks must be worn in public spaces.  Sure, if half the masks are crap that's not helping, but the other half are.  

SAR I

I don't know what you do for a living, but responding to Medical Issues and planning for Public Health Emergencies  is what I do. Your trust in what Sesame Street tells you is cute. 

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I don't know what you do for a living, but responding to Medical Issues and planning for Public Health Emergencies  is what I do. Your trust in what Sesame Street tells you is cute. 

If it wasn't masks and social distancing that turned the tide on corona in NYC, what was it?

SAR I