Mangini on First Things First

1 hour ago, slats said:

SF is one of the worst organizations in the league now? 

Why don’t any of the good organizations want him, then? I suspect that it’s no coincidence that the Jets, Mangini, and Browns all found each other, though. 

Snitches get stitches.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I bring up Harbaugh because he’s the only person who’s been willing to hire the guy in the last decade, and he left Mangini on the curb when he got himself his potential job-for-life. 

And as I’ve repeated in this thread, it’s been a long time since Spygate and the Pats were just sanctioned for cheating again. So no, I don’t buy this blackballed BS. He’s out of the league because he sucks. If he had this miraculous talent finding ability attributed to him by a select group of vocal Jet (and no one else) fans, he’d be working for an NFL team. But, see? He doesn’t. 

Your argument about Harbaugh leaving him at the curb as an indication of Mangini's lack of worth is an absurd argument based on some made up stuff in your head. Harbaugh hired him and then SF retained and promoted him after Harbaugh and SF parted ways.  You and I have no idea if Harbaugh offered him a job or not.  It's complete speculation on your part about Harbaugh.  Harbaugh hired him meant he Harbaugh wanted him on his staff.  He was under contract to the 49ers.  They promoted him after Harbaugh quit/was fired. 

I get that you hated Mangini and your point because he doesn't have a job ipso facto he doesn't deserve a job.    Your position is merely a speculation based on not having a job as proof.  I think it's more than that.  I don't have proof.    

You don't have to pull BS out of the air to tell me your opinion.  I accept it as your opinion.  I don't agree with it.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/06/04/49ers-harbaugh-on-mangini-hire-it-makes-us-better/

“You’re either getting better or you’re getting worse, but you’re never staying the same,” Harbaugh said Tuesday. “What ways can we get better? We’re trying to chase that and see if we can’t get a mile an hour faster. … It’s a great addition. It makes us better.” 

Mangini has vast NFL experience as a defensive coach and head coach. He spent 2006-10 as the head coach for the New York Jets and Cleveland Browns, respectively. After he left the Browns, he worked as an analyst for ESPN. 

Harbaugh became intrigued by the prospect of hiring Mangini after watching him break down defenses on TV and receiving strong recommendations from several of his assistant coaches. Harbaugh and Mangini also spoke on a few occasions in recent seasons. 

“I feel like we added a really talented, knowledgeable coach,” Harbaugh said. “(He will) look at how defenses are going to prepare for us and where we can attack defenses. That’s what’s his role will be, helping game-planning and overall offensive scheme.” 

Last season, Harbaugh said, everybody had a role in breaking down the opponents’ defenses. Mangini now will take the lead role. 

Harbaugh contacted Mangini in late May, described the role he had in mind and then met with Mangini here for three days before they consummated the deal.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Niners hired Jim Tomsula as their head coach during this period.

So the 49ers hired Mangini when their organization was at its worst. Got it! 

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Your argument about Harbaugh leaving him at the curb as an indication of Mangini's lack of worth is an absurd argument based on some made up stuff in your head. Harbaugh hired him and then SF retained and promoted him after Harbaugh and SF parted ways.  You and I have no idea if Harbaugh offered him a job or not.  It's complete speculation on your part about Harbaugh.  Harbaugh hired him meant he Harbaugh wanted him on his staff.  He was under contract to the 49ers.  They promoted him after Harbaugh quit/was fired. 

I get that you hated Mangini and your point because he doesn't have a job ipso facto he doesn't deserve a job.    Your position is merely a speculation based on not having a job as proof.  I think it's more than that.  I don't have proof.    

You don't have to pull BS out of the air to tell me your opinion.  I accept it as your opinion.  I don't agree with it.

The only person to give him a job in the last decade was Jim Harbaugh. Otherwise, he’s been out of work. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that if the guy actually had this magical ability, that one team in the NFL would give him a shot at something. Yet, no one has. C’mon man, the fish with Tannenbaum? If Mangini was the straw that stirred that drink, why wouldn’t that cockroach Tanny bring Mangini in to rekindle that magic? Why wouldn’t the fish love to give it to both the Jets and the Cheats with some Mangenius? Couldn’t ask for a much better opportunity, but there weren’t even rumors of such a reunion occurring. 

Just way too many years since Spygate to blame Mangini’s lack of employment on it. He’s out of work because he’s a prick that no one wants to work with, and whatever (way overstayed) talents he has fail to overcome that. 

It’s only Jet fans that pine for this guy. Browns, Pats, ‘9ers? I’m not hearing it. 

I continue to angrily blame @T0mShane  

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

So the 49ers hired Mangini when their organization was at its worst. Got it! 

The only person to give him a job in the last decade was Jim Harbaugh. Otherwise, he’s been out of work. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that if the guy actually had this magical ability, that one team in the NFL would give him a shot at something. Yet, no one has. C’mon man, the fish with Tannenbaum? If Mangini was the straw that stirred that drink, why wouldn’t that cockroach Tanny bring Mangini in to rekindle that magic? Why wouldn’t the fish love to give it to both the Jets and the Cheats with some Mangenius? Couldn’t ask for a much better opportunity, but there weren’t even rumors of such a reunion occurring. 

Just way too many years since Spygate to blame Mangini’s lack of employment on it. He’s out of work because he’s a prick that no one wants to work with, and whatever (way overstayed) talents he has fail to overcome that. 

It’s only Jet fans that pine for this guy. Browns, Pats, ‘9ers? I’m not hearing it. 

I continue to angrily blame @T0mShane  

That fact that Harbaugh sought him out for a job is one of the reason I think he was blackballed.  Harbaugh and his brother are one of the few NFL coaches who don't knell at the alter of BB and Bob Kraft.  You conveniently ignore that.  

You're really attributing your less than stellar argument to TomShane getting into your head?  Hats off to TOmShane.  Impressive.  

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Offensive consultant for 49ers?

What the hell is that anyway?

In my world consultants dont even rate a parking space. This was some great opportunity??

To me it sounds like Harbaugh actually had pity for the guy and may have been the only NFL person of stature with the guts to move out of BBs league wide sphere of influence to give him some work menial as it may have been.

Oh and if anyone doesnt believe BB has league wide influence and doesnt have Goodell on a leash just look at yesterdays "punishment" for the latest cheating they were caught red handed for.

Harbaugh both of them absolutely hate BB and Kraft with a passion.  Absolutely one of two NFL HC's who have the balls to go up against the establishment.  It wouldn't surprise me if Harbaugh sought him out just to stick it to BB.  

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We had a couple ok years in the early 2000’s because Woody inherited a roster built entirely by Bill Parcells (who quit immediately after he bought the team)

A couple good years with Rex and then afterwards:

1. Woody forces a trade for Tim Tebow when Terry Bradway and Rex Ryan were wanting to draft Russell Wilson 

2. Woody throws Rex under the bus and refuses to sign Revis nor Cro in 2014 with $30 mil in cap room and we get stuck with deadbeat Dmitri Patterson

3. Signs off on huge extensions for Mark Sanchez and Mo Wilkerson

4. Hires Idzik

5. Hires Bowles and Macagnan 

6. Runs away to a made up job in England because he doesn’t want to get blamed for a mess he created with the jets

F Woody

Parcells left the franchise in cap hell, we got lucky with the expansion draft.  They made the playoffs 1 time in 4 years with Parcells/Groh then they made it 3 of next 4 years where they had to re-tool after 01 then re-tooled after 03.  Almost 3 different teams.

We made the playoffs 6 times in 10 years including a rare AFC East title (the ONLY AFC East Championship that Brady didn't win), 4 trips to the divisional round and 2 trips to the AFC Championship Game.

1. Everyone hated headway(notice how well we have done since he's been gone) but we believe the Russell Wilson story?  I'll give you tebow, major mistake.

2. Revis was coming off a major injury and he was tired of the negotiations.  Who cares about cro?

3. Mark's extension was not huge, had an easy out after a year or 2. The problem was not surrounding him with talent.  No one had a problem with Mo's extension at the time and I think Chris was in charge by then anyway.

4. Firing tannenbaum and hiring idzik was his worst decision. This is a lesson on not listening to fans and the media.

5.  Macc brought us Sam, never forget that.

6.  Silly.

The Jets need Woody back and for Chris to go away.

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That fact that Harbaugh sought him out for a job is one of the reason I think he was blackballed.  Harbaugh and his brother are one of the few NFL coaches who don't knell at the alter of BB and Bob Kraft.  You conveniently ignore that.  

You're really attributing your less than stellar argument to TomShane getting into your head?  Hats off to TOmShane.  Impressive.  

I’ve known T0m via the internet for a long time. That’s a joke to a friend, despite our differences on this issue. 

The Harbaughs are their own brand of NFL royalty. Jim bailed, but few coaches are more respected than these two brothers. Jim hiring Mangini should’ve been a lifeline to the scumbag, but it wasn’t. The one time the guy was hired in the last ten years. Sorry man, that’s an indictment. Some controversy from a dozen years ago is keeping you out of work? Maybe, just maybe, that’s not the only reason he’s out of work. 

Why don’t you start a thread in a Browns forum about the league’s underappreciation for Eric Mangini? See how many people there think he’s the one who got away? I look forward to hearing the results. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I’ve known T0m via the internet for a long time. That’s a joke to a friend, despite our differences on this issue. 

The Harbaughs are their own brand of NFL royalty. Jim bailed, but few coaches are more respected than these two brothers. Jim hiring Mangini should’ve been a lifeline to the scumbag, but it wasn’t. The one time the guy was hired in the last ten years. Sorry man, that’s an indictment. Some controversy from a dozen years ago is keeping you out of work? Maybe, just maybe, that’s not the only reason he’s out of work. 

Why don’t you start a thread in a Browns forum about the league’s underappreciation for Eric Mangini? See how many people there think he’s the one who got away? I look forward to hearing the results. 

Browns fans, seriously.  That's almost as bad as relying on Jets fans to formulate a rational opinion.  I can honestly say as a Jets fan I have a negative bias too almost every coach and GM who worked for this organization with the exception of Weeb and Michaels.  I respect Weeb for winning and I respect Michaels for the Jets driving him to near bat sh*t insanity.  

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Browns fans, seriously.  That's almost as bad as relying on Jets fans to formulate a rational opinion.  I can honestly say as a Jets fan I have a negative bias too almost every coach and GM who worked for this organization with the exception of Weeb and Michaels.  I respect Weeb for winning and I respect Michaels for the Jets driving him to near bat sh*t insanity.  

And yet you’re choosing Mount Mangini as the hill to die on. Interesting. 

26 minutes ago, slats said:

And yet you’re choosing Mount Mangini as the hill to die on. Interesting. 

My position is he was blackballed and didn't suck enough to be out of the game.  FYI almost ever coach on the 49ers staff under HC Tomsula's with a couple of exceptions including Mangini were recycled into the NFL.  Many of them hired by the Pats.  

Being a 35 year old HC and failing to deliver isn't a crime that gets you out of the league.  In fact it's almost a guarantee of another landing spot.  John Idzik works in the front office of the Jags.  Go figure. 

In closing Slats as much as people are willing to suck Rex off for his two AFC championship games.  I will contend that the 2008 Jets that beat the Pats on Thursday night and followed it up with a win against undefeated TN was the best Jet team since 1998 with the best chance to win a SB until Favre's arm crapped out.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Harbaugh both of them absolutely hate BB and Kraft with a passion.  Absolutely one of two NFL HC's who have the balls to go up against the establishment.  It wouldn't surprise me if Harbaugh sought him out just to stick it to BB.  

The idea that Bill Belichick is the establishment is probably the craziest part of all this.  Tons of people hate that dick and plenty of people are intentionally hired away from him to piss him off.  You think people aren't hiring Mangini because it bothers Belichick? Remember how angry Lil Bill was at Josh McDaniel?  I think he hates that **** and not only did Bill hire him back, he keeps getting interviews and offers.

• Upvote 2

The Mangini blackball conspiracy theory has absolutely nothing to support it whatsoever.  It's not even like his NFL run ended anywhere close to that whole thing even happening.  He was dubbed as the "Mangenius" after that all happened, stuck around the Jets for 3 years, then immediately got another HC'ing job after that for a couple more.  Spygate was a distant memory for the NFL by the time he was sent packing from the Browns, and no one gave enough of a crap about it to suddenly plot some great league-wide pact against him at that point.

At a certain point you'd think it might be seen as a bit curious that every single argument in Mangini's favor is 100% fully dependent on fan theories with no actual evidence to support it, including nothing even from Mangini himself, who would have absolutely no reason to be doing this supposed cover-up for the league if they were all out to get him, as is laughably suggested.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

<snip>

You admit @T0mShane is a friend?  For shame!  T0m, if you're reading this, Bill Parcells is fat.

I read an article when this thread first opened from a Browns site discussing how clueless Mangini was iat handlin QBs.  It was from the 4th week of preseason in 2009.  It described how his actions had confirmed their long held suspicions.  

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Mangini blackball conspiracy theory has absolutely nothing to support it whatsoever.  It's not even like his NFL run ended anywhere close to that whole thing even happening.  He was dubbed as the "Mangenius" after that all happened, stuck around the Jets for 3 years, then immediately got another HC'ing job after that for a couple more.  Spygate was a distant memory for the NFL by the time he was sent packing from the Browns, and no one gave enough of a crap about it to suddenly plot some great league-wide pact against him at that point.

At a certain point you'd think it might be seen as a bit curious that every single argument in Mangini's favor is 100% fully dependent on fan theories with no actual evidence to support it, including nothing even from Mangini himself, who would have absolutely no reason to be doing this supposed cover-up for the league if they were all out to get him, as is laughably suggested.

It amazes how the blogosphere attributes God-like powers to Belichick 

It’s not because Mangini sucked here, Cleveland and Sam Fran after being an average DC in New England for one season.  It’s because Belichick has psychic powers and the Seattle Seahawks and LA Chargers are doing his bidding

A5ABDE0F-78A4-4C0E-9C25-DB264791CD6B.thumb.jpeg.3d5496a0db05132f42f4af8d44066d57.jpeg

13 hours ago, Biggs said:

In closing Slats as much as people are willing to suck Rex off for his two AFC championship games.  I will contend that the 2008 Jets that beat the Pats on Thursday night and followed it up with a win against undefeated TN was the best Jet team since 1998 with the best chance to win a SB until Favre's arm crapped out.  

And you would be wrong.  08 wasn't as good as 02, 04, 09 or 10. Favre's arm was the excuse but he wasn't good the majority of that season. They feasted on the dregs of the league and even when beating them struggled in many of those games.

The AFC was incredibly weak and we didn't have to worry about Brady but that team was held back by Favre and the D wasn't very good.  If you put the 2009 or 2010 Jets in 2008 they win the Super Bowl. If you put the 2008 Jets in 2009 or 2010 they don't make the playoffs with or without a healthy Favre.

It's almost like people forget favre, even at his peak, was never a big game QB.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Biggs said:

Don't love the suck off comment. 

Mangini's teams were nearly unwatchable his first two years and only became bearable when Favre refused to listen to Mangini's coaches and ran the offense his way. The only good thing about that team was Favre, which became totally apparent when his arm failed him. And then Mangini failed to sit him, despite his ineffectiveness. Because, you know, Mangini is a failure. 

14 hours ago, Biggs said:

My position is he was blackballed and didn't suck enough to be out of the game.  FYI almost ever coach on the 49ers staff under HC Tomsula's with a couple of exceptions including Mangini were recycled into the NFL.  Many of them hired by the Pats.  

Being a 35 year old HC and failing to deliver isn't a crime that gets you out of the league.  In fact it's almost a guarantee of another landing spot.  John Idzik works in the front office of the Jags.  Go figure. 

He did suck enough, that's the thing. It's only you and some other odd Jet fans who put him on this completely weird pedestal. No one wants to work with him. No one's interested. His alleged genius is ridiculously overstated. He innovated nothing. The guy was a defensive coordinator, but no one talks about the Mangini defense. It was middle of the pack under Mangini, but he supposedly built Rex's #1 defense? What a load of crap. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Don't love the suck off comment. 

Mangini's teams were nearly unwatchable his first two years and only became bearable when Favre refused to listen to Mangini's coaches and ran the offense his way. The only good thing about that team was Favre, which became totally apparent when his arm failed him. And then Mangini failed to sit him, despite his ineffectiveness. Because, you know, Mangini is a failure. 

He did suck enough, that's the thing. It's only you and some other odd Jet fans who put him on this completely weird pedestal. No one wants to work with him. No one's interested. His alleged genius is ridiculously overstated. He innovated nothing. The guy was a defensive coordinator, but no one talks about the Mangini defense. It was middle of the pack under Mangini, but he supposedly built Rex's #1 defense? What a load of crap. 

That really worked when favre ran the offense "his way".