Jets "challenge" to put together OL

slats

As I've been saying....

Jets expecting “challenge” when it comes to putting offensive line together

Posted by Josh Alper on June 25, 2020, 6:44 AM EDT
Getty Images

The Jets offensive line was much-maligned during the 2019 season and they spent a portion of the offseason bringing in players they hope can improve the situation this year.

George Fant, Connor McGovern, Greg Van Roten and Josh Andrews all signed as free agents and the Jets used their first-round pick on tackle Mekhi Becton. They also drafted guard Cameron Clark in the fourth round to go along with the returning Alex Lewis, Brian Winters, Chuma Edoga and Jonotthan Harrison, so there are a lot of pieces to fit into the puzzle.

On a Wednesday conference call, offensive line coach Frank Pollack said he doesn’t expect that to be an easy process but that the team will do whatever it takes to get the right group in place.

“It’s going to be a challenge,” Pollack said, via the New York Post. “It’s the same challenge everyone’s got, though, around the league. We’re on equal footing from that regard. If we have to do stuff from an extra standpoint whether it’s before practice, after practice, whether it’s walk-throughs, meetings, that’s what we’re going to have to do.”

The process will be an easier one if Becton proves to be the right answer at left tackle. Pollack said every rookie has “a lot to learn,” but he likes what he’s seen from Becton from a distance while waiting for his first chance to coach him on the field.

• Upvote 3

The OL is the unit that has to work together more than any other on the team.  Continuity, reps, that stuff goes along way with the OL.  The Jets could be turning over 4 out of 5 positions this season with mediocre talent and not a lot of time to gel. I'm not sure that's equal footing as the rest of the league.  

I got a bad feeling about this season...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

The o-line is still very questionable.

Basically a bunch of back-ups from other teams and the #11 overall pick that wasn’t a particularly good pass blocker in college.

Have we upgraded? Probably. How much? We don’t really know.

Not being able to work together sooner will hurt this team more than others.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

Just now, JiF said:

The OL is the unit that has to work together more than any other on the team.  Continuity, reps, that stuff goes along way with the OL.  The Jets could be turning over 4 out of 5 positions this season, I'm not sure that's equal footing as the rest of the league.  

I got a bad feeling about this season...

This has been my drum beat. I think they have a decent set of versatile replacement parts -with a potential HoF talent in Becton- but they have to figure out where they're going to play, then they have to figure out how to play together. With a shortened training camp/preseason becoming more likely every day, I expect the Jets work on the OL to extend well into the season. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

The o-line is still very questions...

Basically a bunch of back-ups from other teams and the #11 overall pick that wasn’t a particularly good pass blocker in college.

I don't know where this scouting report came from

the weekly world news? 

look at his film the dude knows how to pass block 

here's a prediction for the OL 

George Fant won't beat out Edoga at RT 

I just don't think he cares enough. He's a natural LT who gets paid either way

he probably wants to get out of NY as soon as possible to resume his dream of playing LT 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't know where this scouting report came from

the weekly world news? 

look at his film the dude knows how to pass block 

here's a prediction for the OL 

George Fant won't beat out Edoga at RT 

I just don't think he cares enough. He's a natural LT who gets paid either way

he probably wants to get out of NY as soon as possible to resume his dream of playing LT 

Pass blocking grader - 58th percentile of Tackles in college.   That’s not good! 

How do you think that’s going to translate to the NFL.  Anyone not terrified by those numbers simply isn’t paying attention or sticking your head in the sand.

image.png.baf29b5743df3e94df55fcd016a03085.png

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, slats said:

This has been my drum beat. I think they have a decent set of versatile replacement parts -with a potential HoF talent in Becton- but they have to figure out where they're going to play, then they have to figure out how to play together. With a shortened training camp/preseason becoming more likely every day, I expect the Jets work on the OL to extend well into the season. 

It's hard to be worse than last season but it certainly makes me nervous. 

Agree that the OL is a huge ? at this point. It should be better, but just marginally or a lot?  Probably just marginally. If Becton pans out, that will be huge. Hopefully McGovern is solid at C. All the other starters are probably just "hold the fort" dudes until another FA and draft offseason.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The o-line is still very questionable.

Not being able to work together sooner will hurt this team more than others.

Agree with this except McGovern.   Very good starting player who should finally fix the C position after years of trash.

• Upvote 2

Pass blocking grader - 58th percentile of Tackles in college.   That’s not good! 

How do you think that’s going to translate to the NFL.  Anyone not terrified by those numbers simply isn’t paying attention or sticking your head in the sand.

image.png.baf29b5743df3e94df55fcd016a03085.png

And yet we had our choice of him or Wirfs (who outscored EVERYBODY on that chart), and still went with him. 

It’s almost as if ONE metric, as evaluated by a single source, isn’t as important to GMs as it is to you. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slats said:

I know I'm in the minority, but this is one of the reasons I start Becton on the right side his rookie season as long as I feel like Fant can hold down the left side for a year. Gives him a chance to be an animal in the running game and work on his NFL pass protection while not worrying about Darnold's blind side. 

this is why i went hmm...when you said potential HOF earlier....

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

And yet we had our choice of him or Wirfs (who outscored EVERYBODY on that chart), and still went with him. 

It’s almost as if ONE metric, as evaluated by a single source, isn’t as important to GMs as it is to you. 

i also wanted wirfs...    the superior athlete by far

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Because we know GM’s never make mistakes drafting the workout warrior over the actual better player.  You’re right, GM’s never make mistakes like that, especially NJ Jets GM’s seem to be immune to making bad choices.

I’m not saying he’s not going to be a good player but there is a TON of risk there. IMO, WIRF’s was the safer pick

• Thumb Down 1

Because we know GM’s never make mistakes drafting the workout warrior over the actual better player.  You’re right, GM’s never make mistakes like that, especially NJ Jets GM’s seem to be immune to making bad choices.

I’m not saying he’s not going to be a good player but there is a TON of risk there. IMO, WIRF’s was the safer pick

Curious if you have PFF, what Orlando Brown’s pass blocking grade was his final year of college. 

I can see JD making his first ever OL pick being a player (who at least from a size perspective) seemed to work out for his “mentor” Ozzie Newsome in his final draft. Though Brown played on the right side, he still became a pro bowler.  
That’s my logic. 

19 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Curious if you have PFF, what Orlando Brown’s pass blocking grade was his final year of college. 

I can see JD making his first ever OL pick being a player (who at least from a size perspective) seemed to work out for his “mentor” Ozzie Newsome in his final draft. Though Brown played on the right side, he still became a pro bowler.  
That’s my logic. 

I don’t have PFF. But I can def see your logic. I’m sure they did a massive amount of research and this was the choice they made. 
it just doesn’t mean it’s right.  There are a lot of red flags with this kid.  

A bust here would be a major blow to this franchise.  I truly hope you and JD are right. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t have PFF. But I can def see your logic. I’m sure they did a massive amount of research and this was the choice they made. 
it just doesn’t mean it’s right.  There are a lot of red flags with this kid.  

A bust here would be a major blow to this franchise.  I truly hope you and JD are right. 

This was through four games:

https://www.pff.com/news/pff-draft-watch-oklahoma-t-orlando-brown-impressive-in-all-facets

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

this is why i went hmm...when you said potential HOF earlier....

I don't think starting a 21-year-old on the right side and him also having HoF potential are mutually exclusive. 

• Upvote 1

Not surprising considering it’s a brand new line.  This is the problem with not drafting a OL the previous 5 years practically.  However I really like how JD constructed the line this offseason.  But these guys need to get some type of training camp in and get some chemistry going if we are gonna have a season 

• Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i also wanted wirfs...    the superior athlete by far

if you knew nothing about these players and saw Becton and Wirfs getting off the bus, and were asked to pick an offensive lineman,

not even knowing their names

you'd pick Becton and you wouldn't be wrong to do it. 

by the way as a former heavyweight Wrestler I love Wirfs - he's an excellent athlete 

he just doesn't have the physical upside of Becton. 

no one does. Except maybe young Shaq 

• Upvote 1

Look you can't rely on just one piece of information to discount a guy. PFF isn't this final word people take it to be. They are a bunch of guys like us who look at the television tape we do and have a great system that they apply to prospects. Why people seem to hold them in any higher regard than a poster is beyond me. 

Becton probably is better at run blocking than pass at this time. But that doesn't mean his pass blocking isn't good, just means his run blocking is awesome. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Look you can't rely on just one piece of information to discount a guy. PFF isn't this final word people take it to be. They are a bunch of guys like us who look at the television tape we do and have a great system that they apply to prospects. Why people seem to hold them in any higher regard than a poster is beyond me. 

Becton probably is better at run blocking than pass at this time. But that doesn't mean his pass blocking isn't good, just means his run blocking is awesome. 

Sure PFF isn’t the end all and we shouldn’t judge him for it but running a fast 40 for his size doesn’t make him a good pass blocker either.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure PFF isn’t the end all and we shouldn’t judge him for it but running a fast 40 for his size doesn’t make him a good pass blocker either.

No it doesn't but his tape is solid to good from Louisville. He also shouldn't be negatively judged for being a "planet theory" athlete. It's an added bonus to a player whose tape from college is quite good. From all accounts he works very hard and his weight is a complete non issue with his body fat being 17-18%. As long as the training staff is smart about strengthening the muscles supporting the low back I see him as a low floor very high ceiling LT. 

1 minute ago, TheMo said:

No it doesn't but his tape is solid to good from Louisville. He also shouldn't be negatively judged for being a "planet theory" athlete. It's an added bonus to a player whose tape from college is quite good. From all accounts he works very hard and his weight is a complete non issue with his body fat being 17-18%. As long as the training staff is smart about strengthening the muscles supporting the low back I see him as a low floor very high ceiling LT. 

Look, I have high hopes for him - for sure he often threw around college football players like children.  He's a beast of a man - I just hope it translate to the NFL.  We really don't know, and way too many people are taking it for granted. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I have high hopes for him - for sure he often threw around college football players like children.  He's a beast of a man - I just hope it translate to the NFL.  We really don't know, and way too many people are taking it for granted. 

Well I think that's the optimism of a fan base right. I honestly think he'll be a really good LT. And I think there is higher chance of that than the opposite. However, I agree it's not impossible that he isn't as good or even a bit of bust. Most picks carry that chance. But the things that could make him bust are all effort/teachable/technique things which is why I feel better about it. Thomas for example is extremely polished but lacks a bit of the physicality you might desire. Thing is, if that becomes a big issue in the NFL, idk what you can do about it. That's probably what makes me like the Becton pick. Especially because he already had very good tape in addition to his freakish numbers. 

39 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

sorta seems off ......HOF potential but not good enough to start at his preferred position....    ..

You seem off, I rarely comment on it. :) 

It's not uncommon at all for a rookie LT to debut on the right side or at guard, and then go on to a stellar, even HoF career. He's a 21-year-old kid with not a ton of experience in a traditional passing offense. 

• Upvote 1

Of the Louisville Cardinals' 300+ passing attempts, only 73 came from a True Pass Set, meaning that the pass play was: not a play-action; not a screen play; not a roll out, not a quick passing play; and rushed more than 3 men. That's roughly 75% of Louisville passing offense, of those passes he allowed 0 pressures. The Jets were one of the worst offensive teams rushing the ball, Becton is bar none the best of them all. Darnold struggled last year in play action completing only 43% of his passes, Becton is a mauler in the run game and gave up 0 pressures in play action, so one could argue that Darnold's completion percentage should rise in Play Action. 

“We wrote prior to the draft that his lack of true pass sets in a Louisville offense that heavily featured play action and designed rollouts in conjunction with his struggles when he did see true pass sets was cause for concern. That isn’t to say he won’t turn into a solid pass protector at the NFL level. He is coming off an 82.5 pass-blocking grade in 2019 with the Cardinals. We simply don’t know as much about him in pass protection to say it’s a safe bet. His run-blocking projections, on the other hand, are very favorable.”

• Post of the Week 1

On 6/25/2020 at 10:57 AM, slats said:

Becton could be a really good left tackle in time.  If you expect him to be that player in his first year, Jmo you’re probably setting yourself up for disappointment.    It might take him till year three before you start to see him really put it together.( See Trent Brown - took him a couple years ).    
Again that’s just my own opinion, and I could be wrong.   

• Upvote 1