slats

Jets "challenge" to put together OL

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Becton could be a really good left tackle in time.  If you expect him to be that player in his first year, Jmo you’re probably setting yourself up for disappointment.    It might take him till year three before you start to see him really put it together.( See Trent Brown - took him a couple years ).    
Again that’s just my own opinion, and I could be wrong.   

I wish people would stop comparing Becton with Trent Brown and Orlando Brown. The only thing they have in common is height and weight, and that is where the comparisons should end.

Becton is a much better athlete than either Brown and if you watch his tape you'll see it. He's 365 lbs. and moves around like he's 300 lbs. There is a reason why many had him as the highest rated OT in the draft, myself included way before he was drafted. His ceiling is through the roof because we've never seen a man of his stature enter the NFL.....ever. I've even done the comparisons with Walter Jones and Ogden and Becton still is another level higher.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Becton could be a really good left tackle in time.  If you expect him to be that player in his first year, Jmo you’re probably setting yourself up for disappointment.    It might take him till year three before you start to see him really put it together.( See Trent Brown - took him a couple years ).    
Again that’s just my own opinion, and I could be wrong.   

Double post

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Becton’s floor, just because of the uncertainty related to his size,

Why would you think his floor is the IR? He's never had any major injuries in the past and he's played quite a bit heavier than he is right now. Also if you look at some of these jumbo OT's you see less injury prone players.....it's a false narrative. Not too mention he's almost downright skinny for 365lbs.

Just appreciate him for the freak his is, because that's what he is.....a freak of nature. And now he's a Jet.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

But the dude is, as you say, freakishly big. I get that he’s a healthy big, but there just aren’t many comps out there for a 21-year-old his size. I just have an amateur’s concern about the knees on a guy that size holding up to an NFL career, for instance.

I don't get the concern because most of the bigger players at his position have been healthy throughout their careers. Look at guys like Ogden and Jones who I mentioned before.....they don't have any injury histories that some on the board are speculating because of his large size. It's a false narrative that for some reason is being propagated here on JN.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I have been saying the same thing since prior to Beckton being drafted.  He has little to no pass blocking experience.  That does not come quickly, either.  There is going to be a learning curve.  I will be shocked if Beckton can actually start on the left side.  I'm all but positive we will see Fant there.  And don't be too surprised of Beckton has growing pains even on the right side.  He is an exciting draft pick due  to the combination of speed and size, but he had no pro-preparatory work in college.  He was used like a bull dozer.  

Maybe you can explain to me how a three year starter in the ACC, who passblocked for QB's that threw for almost 10,000 yards has no passblocking experience. I can't seem to wrap my head around that one, or the multiple videos I've posted right here of Becton, not Beckton passblocking.

No "pro-preparatory work in college", lmao you can't make this stuff up.

@THE BARON Here is his tape against one of the best schools in the country. Maybe you can point out how he can't passblock because I'm missing it.

• Upvote 2

Or maybe this one against Notre Dame. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

There are no sure things either way.  Perhaps he can start at LT, but I doubt it.  Anyway... You may very well be right and I hope you are.

I'm only trying to dispel the myth that Becton can't passblock since a few keep posting about it. @FidelioJet

I'll leave this thread with my favorite tape, which was against FSU. You can see him calling the plays and protections several times throughout the game, which he also does in other games and dominates his man. Look at the length of his pass set @6:38 and how he explodes for a giant man. 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company