slats

Jets "challenge" to put together OL

On 6/25/2020 at 11:33 AM, slats said:

I know I'm in the minority, but this is one of the reasons I start Becton on the right side his rookie season as long as I feel like Fant can hold down the left side for a year. Gives him a chance to be an animal in the running game and work on his NFL pass protection while not worrying about Darnold's blind side. 

I have been saying the same thing since prior to Beckton being drafted.  He has little to no pass blocking experience.  That does not come quickly, either.  There is going to be a learning curve.  I will be shocked if Beckton can actually start on the left side.  I'm all but positive we will see Fant there.  And don't be too surprised of Beckton has growing pains even on the right side.  He is an exciting draft pick due  to the combination of speed and size, but he had no pro-preparatory work in college.  He was used like a bull dozer.  

1 hour ago, RobR said:

@THE BARON Here is his tape against one of the best schools in the country. Maybe you can point out how he can't passblock because I'm missing it.

There are no sure things either way.  Perhaps he can start at LT, but I doubt it.  Anyway... You may very well be right and I hope you are.

8 hours ago, RobR said:

I'm only trying to dispel the myth that Becton can't passblock since a few keep posting about it. @FidelioJet

I'll leave this thread with my favorite tape, which was against FSU. You can see him calling the plays and protections several times throughout the game, which he also does in other games and dominates his man. Look at the length of his pass set @6:38 and how he explodes for a giant man. 

The film examples look impressive.  Thus far, I have not seen anything on film to suggest he can not pass block.  My concern follows convention.  We have a prospect with little pass blocking experience AND soon he will be going up against the best pass rushers in the world EVERY WEEK.  What an OT in college encounters is quite different from what a pro player is going to come up against.  Beckton is going to be on a different planet.  Getting a bit more specific, if you watch more of his highlights, you'll see him having a hard time changing direction every now and then.  If he is awkward in that way vs. a college pass rusher, he is going to get smoked by an NFL quality edge rusher.   Again..... I HOPE he can and does transition to the pro game

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company