JetNation

Alex Lewis Responds to Manish Mehta via Instagram

With this schedule, I'm not sure he could be fired if they go 7-9 and Darnold continues to develop. I never thought Gase was the guy who can get the Jets to where they need to get, but I did feel he could make Darnold the QB that can get the Jets to that level, thus making the HC job considerably more attractive for a HC who can come here and win it all.

That said, with Douglas here, his relationship with Gase is solid. If Gase is gone, the organization needs to seriously consider the current structure. I think any HC who follows Gase would have to report to Douglas, and not directly to ownership.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AFJF said:

Depends on how they get there.  If it's another bottom 10 finish for Gase's offense and Gregg Williams' defense carries them, I could see him getting the boot.

That's valid. If that were the case, do you go outside for the HC spot, or do you promote Williams? He is a stellar DC, but his time as the head cheese hasn't matched up.

If you go with him, he needs to bring in a top OC. If you go outside the organization, does the new HC have full control to hire his own DC? Or does he have to keep Williams?

Should the Jets get rid of Gase, they are in a no-win when it comes to DC. Either you are dumping a very good coordinator, or you are hamstringing your search by mandating a DC on the new hire.

Just now, AFJF said:

Tough to say because so many successful coaches fail in their first one or two gigs.  Williams led the Browns to a 5-3 finish after they'd won like 2  games in 3 years and then Cleveland let him go. 

My first choice would be David Shaw but he's not leaving the college ranks.  I'd want Bieniemy to be at the top of the list but Williams would definitely be in my top 3.

I could see that list. I don't see Shaw jumping, and I'm not sure if he would necessarily succeed if he did. Bieniemy is going to be a hot name on the market. If he came aboard and had a solid DC like Williams, that would put the team in pretty good shape. But it would have to be after this year. My sense is Bieniemy would, and should, be toward the top of any vacancies after this season.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company