JetNation

Alex Lewis Responds to Manish Mehta via Instagram

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wrote that.  Thanks for sharing?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When one of your 90 players speaks up on your behalf, you know there are no issues in the locker room.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

37454599-E9F4-491C-BB53-18759F78254D.jpeg.7acb61db51448e2d2112adb7389bc0e2.jpeg

I wonder if CJ Mosley's word means more to you than Alex Lewis.  Or is it all still just a conspiracy theory??? @AFJF @FidelioJet

What do you think @Jetsfan80???  Is Mosley to be trusted?

I'm gonna try to find the time I said nobody in the locker room likes Gase.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'll go with the player who is actually in the locker room and willing to put his name to a quote over the sniveling whiney rat who is best known for making sh*t up to fabricate a story.

But I guess siding with the truth doesn't get juicy guests on the podcast.

If you think a couple of guys out of 90 is proof of "the truth", then sure.  Totatlly true.

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

When Jamal Adams says "Gase man bad", we must believe him at all costs.

When someone else says "Gase man really not that bad" it's a conspiracy on par with the Kennedy assassination.

C'mon, dude.  It's much bigget than the Kennedy thing and you know it.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's still far better than the 0 guys out of 90 who have said differently.

I'm the biggest Gase hater you will ever find, but Mehta's BS is such pure nonsense.

I guess I believe it because when we saw how little Gase cares about his guys my initial reaction was "Wow, if you're gonna' treat your players like that, they won't support you for long".

I know that treating these guys like dirt was something coaches like Buddy Ryan and Bill Parcells got away with, but in 2020 when these guys make the money they make and are so often treated with kid gloves, I don't see how Gase's act (along with his on-field results) will make him a guy players want to play for.

Some guys will speak out in support of, but let's be honest here.  How often does a guy rip the coach he's currently playing for?  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mehta claimed "majority".  

Do we really need every player to respond to determine Mehta was full of sh*t?  Mehta only knows three modes:  Lies, damned lies, and an occasional scoop (such as - the Jets are playing the Bills Week 1!  Wow, awesome work!) to keep people like you thinking he's a real journalist.

Can we be real here?  Nobody is going to openly admit to hating the coach who is currently coaching the team.  That just does not happen. 

Before Manish wrote his story I viewed Gase as a guy who is indifferent to his players and their well-being.  That doesn't tend to go over well in a sport where you get beat to hell every Sunday.  Could be confirmation bias, but I figured plenty of guys disliked him before it was ever reported.  

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Players almost universally loved playing for Parcells and Buddy Ryan 

Let me ask you this though.  Were those guys built different?

Seriously though, it was a different era.  Those players didn't get coddled and didn't expect to be treated like they were the center of the universe.  You'll never hear of a coach today doing some of the things that Buddy did to his guys.  Didn't he used to make injured players push barrels full of sand from one end of the field to the other if they weren't able to practice?  Try that in 2020.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a different era, but Nick Saban and Belichick are the meanest a-hole coaches alive and players rush to be in those programs. Players want structure and coherent, consistent application of reinforcement for their actions. Soft coaches get run over and soft coaches who aren’t innately tough get sniffed out and curb stomped. This has been true forever. Also true: the presence of entitled titty-baby players on any given roster who feel like they deserve special treatment and lose their minds when they can’t get it. These players are deeply insecure weaklings who were coddled from the time they were dominating Pee Wee football. This type of player isn’t commonplace, but they’re always loud so they received outsized coverage from the media. A team will tolerate this type of malcontent for as long as that player’s utility exceeds his mouth, but the nanosecond that ratio inverts, the team throws that guy out onto the street. How much noise can a guy who had 61 tackles and an INT make before he’s not worth keeping around? Football is on the verge of being shut down for at least a year and we’re here in late June with the head coach of the football team being asked to justify why his strong safety shouldn’t get a contract he isn’t owed for two more years. 

I think guys run to those coaches because they want to win and I think that's something that hurts Gase.  He's indifferent to the well being of his players.  I'm not just saying this because I don't like him, but he carries himself like a guy who has multiple rings despite having little to no success as a head coach.  I think that'll piss players off in a hurry.  A kind of "who are you to treat me like that" kind of vibe that doesn't exist when you're Bill Belichick because players know exactly who you are.

I hope I'm wrong and a few years from now you can say I was an idiot for being down on a head coach who won a SB with the Jets, but I just don't see it.  So for now you'll just have to say I'm an idiot for supporting Rex Ryan for as long as I did.

9 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

With this schedule, I'm not sure he could be fired if they go 7-9 and Darnold continues to develop. I never thought Gase was the guy who can get the Jets to where they need to get, but I did feel he could make Darnold the QB that can get the Jets to that level, thus making the HC job considerably more attractive for a HC who can come here and win it all.

That said, with Douglas here, his relationship with Gase is solid. If Gase is gone, the organization needs to seriously consider the current structure. I think any HC who follows Gase would have to report to Douglas, and not directly to ownership.

Depends on how they get there.  If it's another bottom 10 finish for Gase's offense and Gregg Williams' defense carries them, I could see him getting the boot.

9 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

That's valid. If that were the case, do you go outside for the HC spot, or do you promote Williams? He is a stellar DC, but his time as the head cheese hasn't matched up.

If you go with him, he needs to bring in a top OC. If you go outside the organization, does the new HC have full control to hire his own DC? Or does he have to keep Williams?

Should the Jets get rid of Gase, they are in a no-win when it comes to DC. Either you are dumping a very good coordinator, or you are hamstringing your search by mandating a DC on the new hire.

Tough to say because so many successful coaches fail in their first one or two gigs.  Williams led the Browns to a 5-3 finish after they'd won like 2  games in 3 years and then Cleveland let him go. 

My first choice would be David Shaw but he's not leaving the college ranks.  I'd want Bieniemy to be at the top of the list but Williams would definitely be in my top 3.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I don't believe the bold for one minute.

He has been asked about injured players in the past who were out of action for several weeks and he simply shrugs and says he hasn't spoken to the guy.  These aren't players who got hurt two or three days earlier.  These are players who were injured and rehabbing for weeks.  Much of which happens in the trainers room.  

Having spent years in the  military, I'm trying to guess how quickly I'd have lost my position of I told my commander that I had a sick or inured subordinate whom I haven't spoken to for days, let alone weeks.

The guy doesn't even care enough to realize it would be a good idea to pretend to care and pop his head in and say "hey man, how we doin'?

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bad job by Mehta, for sure.

16 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will suggest that you have no idea on how Buddy Ryan coached. He was the ultimate players coach. To a fault.

And the players haven't changed at all since then.  

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

You mean like Bill Parcells who would not talk about injuries? He was indifferent and didn’t care?

Explain to me how not divulging injury info to the media is the same as telling the media you haven't taken the time to touch base with an injured player?  

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

YOU said that Buddy was tough on his players. That is absolutely not true. He actually was considered a players coach to a fault. He created a band with his defense on the Bears in opposition to the HC, Mike Ditka.

With the Eagles, Ryan created an air of the team vs ownership. He, of course was on the players side. He practically did not coach the scab team during the strike, because he did not want alienate the players.

You were wrong on that point, and it is ok. 

You're failing to realize that today's players are not like the players Ryan coached and this was my point.  The Jets best player was on the verge of a mental breakdown because the GM answered the phone.  Imagine that guy having a head coach.  He would've retired already.

If you have not figured this out yet, Gase is not going to give the media what they want. With the media, yes he has a divisive relationship. That may be to his detriment, but that is the path he has chosen.

There are any number of coaches that do not discuss injuries with the media. There are many reasons for this. It could be because some coaches do not like the rest of the team focus on injuries, building in excuses (this was a Bill Parcells thing). It may be because any discussion about injury may give the opponent news they would not otherwise have, and advantage (this is a Bill Bellichick thing). It may be because injuries are private between the player and the organization (this is a HIPAA thing and really no business of the press).

Why Gase does it, and the way he does it, I am not sure. But for you to speculate based in something you do not know and spin it for your own validation of self belief is border line irresponsible. You just don’t know.

Gase may or may not be a good coach. 

So those two things are not the same.  Glad we agree.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You were the one that brought up Buddy Ryan, and in some manner related that to Gase. That was not me. 

And you failed in your attempt to characterize what kind of coach Ryan was during that period. It was a fail, plan and simple. He was not how you characterized him. Era be damned.

I thought most people knew what a hard ass Ryan was.  Pardon me if my posts don't come with a history lesson for those fans who require one.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

It was actually only Tannehill and he was sick of talking to the media about it and it was becoming a distraction.  If you think for one minute he didn't check in on his starting QB's availability every single day you're a fool. 

If you think the head coach is only responsible for staying up to date on the well-being of his quarterback...well, then you'll say what you just said.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

But, he wasn’t. He was gruff with the media at times, and cantankerous with leadership many times, but he was a players coach through and through. His players LOVED him. He had their back.

Post want you want, but don’t expect me to pardon where you are wrong. 

If Adam Gase did this to Jamal Adams it would go swimmingly.

When Larry Sullivant saw blood spreading on the back of his hand, he was glad.

It had been a long, hot afternoon scrimmage, and this new coach, a squat tyrant with a flat-top crew cut, had accused him of being a slacker and had been riding him hard. Sullivant jogged off the football field anticipating relief.

Sure enough, the coach inspected the gash and said: “Looks bad. It`ll need doctoring.”

Then he grabbed a handful of dirt, spit on the wound and pressed the dirt over it.

“That`ll do you,” the coach said. “Now get back out there.”

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Show me the complaints about Gase not following up on injuries with his players? Go ahead,  I'll wait. 

I'm not here to do your homework for you.  Follow the team closely, day in and day out, and you won't need me to do the work for you.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Pardon me, but I thought that you said this is a different time. That was the modus operandi for all coaches at that time. 

Budddy had his core guys, and they knew who they were. Do you think that a Larry Sullivant was a core Buddy guy? Or was he a guy that he could set up as an example for the team, while not doing it for a core player? Typical coaching tactic. Use sacrificial lambs.

Buddy loved is players. CrisCarter had a drug problem when with the Eagles and Buddy knew about it. He knew he needed a change of season. Buddy just cut Cris. He then said “All he does is catch TD passes”. He did not cut him down in the press, as he could have easily done.

Cris Carter considers Buddy one of his greatest coaches. 

I said you can't treat guys the way Buddy did, such as saying a guy needs to see a doctor and instead of sending him to see one, spitting on the dude and telling him to get back on the field.

Honestly, I don’t even know what point you are trying to make any more, other than protecting your own personal opinion.

You seemingly seem to worship at the altar of Manish Mehta. And that is fine. Mehta has been pointed out to be a thin skinned media participator, and instances of his action seem to point to that characterization. I would suggest that you don’t follow him too closely.

Welcome to 2020, where you "worship at the altar" of anyone you don't hate.  

I miss reason.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should be noted that Miami dumped Drake for pennies a year after firing Gase. 

And averaged 5.2 YPC at his new place.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but why not ask Brian Flores why he dumped Drake? Apparently, Gase isn’t the only coach who found him to be problematic 

Honestly?  Because I don't care about Brian Flores and don't know Miami's situation well enough to know if he has control of the 53.  

Bottom line is that Drake was booted by a different coach and regime than Gase. Not sure why we blame Gase for the downfall of Kenyan Drake

I don't think Drake ever had a "downfall" per se.  He just lost reps to Frank Gore under Gase and then like so many of Gase's other players, played his best football under a different coach.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did he, though? In 2018, Drake scored 9 TDs for the Dolphins and averaged 4.6 ypc. With the Cardinals, it was 8 TDs and 5.2. The Cardinals just gave him a relatively measly 1 year, $8 mil deal. 

If the numbers are that close we're splitting hairs.  Better runner with ARI and better receiver with Miami, which is ironic because that was Gase's biggest failure this year.  They needed all the help they cold get at receiver but Bell rarely saw targets out of the slot or boundary.

I've lost count of how many people say that Gase couldn't split Bell out wide because he needed him to block, but you and I both know Powell is one of the best blocking RB's in the NFL.  Zero reason why he couldn't have had Powell block with Bell in the slot to create some mismatches.  Especially with such a terrible O-line, it would've been ideal to have Bell work quick/short underneath routes against some linebackers.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was definitely strange. He had two accomplished receiving backs in Bell and Montgomery and didn’t use them in that capacity at all. 

Which is fine if the offense is humming along, but when you're 32nd in the NFL and you continue to not use every resource at your disposal to get better, it raises flags regarding your competence.

The Cincy game is another example.  You lost to an 0-11 team with the worst run defense in the NFL in a unit that continually got exploited to the outside.  I don't think I saw Bell run to the outside at all in that game.

The defense I hear of that is that the Jets O-line was terrible too.  This is true, but if you have a terrible O-line and a terrible run defense, have those scrubs fight it out in the trenches and let your HOF caliber RB be the difference maker by sending him to the spots where their defense is at its worst.  We saw none of that.

A lot of people cite the strong finish as reason to believe in Gase but beating a couple rookie QB's, a third-string QB and Buffalo's "B" team doesn't do as much for me as it does for some folks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Reading through the last few posts, im not sure why talking ABOUT and injured player is being lumped in with talking TO an injured player.

I could care less what Gase says to the media.  Its really not of any importance to what happens with the team or on the field.

But Gase not talking TO his injured players is unequivocally terrible leadership.  He doesn't need to spend as much time with injured players as he does with guys who are going to play on sunday, thats obvious. But to not check in on how guys are feeling or how their rehab is going is awful.  Imagine being a player who puts their body and health on the line every sunday and when they suddenly can't help the team, not due to effort but to an injury, the coach ignores them.  Are those guys really going to look at Gase as a leader and as someone they should respect?  No, they will look at him as a guy who just wants to get what he can out of his players for his own good and doesn't care how they are doing as people or how their bodies are healing.

For those defending Gase on this, imagine you got sick and had to miss work for an extended period - if your boss checked in with you and your family once a week for the time you were out would you be more or less likely to have a good attitude about your company (team in the Gase situation) then if the guy never called you once while you were out?

Exactly! I think too many people believe leadership is being loud, high profile or snubbing the media.  Leadership is being accountable and taking care of your people.  Two areas in which Adam Gase has been an abject failure.

Anyone defending Gase on this will continue to do what Gase does.  Make excuses and try to explain it away.

Posted (edited)

I think the problem is that, at no point last season, did Leveon Bell look anything like a Hall of Fame RB. I’ll keep pointing out that he averaged a wee 4.0 ypc his last season in Pittsburgh running behind three Pro Bowl linemen. The Bengals loss was gross, but when Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins are taking turns flipping Chuma Edoga around like Orcas torturing a baby seal, it’s tough to overcome. 

I saw enough 2-3 yard runs out of Bell where he had to make 4 guys miss to get there that I know he can still play.

As far as Edoga vs Cincy, he didn't play that week.  Those guys were tearing up the interior, where Gase kept running the ball.

Edited by AFJF

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s what happens when you receive the handoff and stand in the backfield for three seconds before trying to advance the ball.

Exactly.  It was ugly.  But as I said with Cincy, why run up the gut to the strength of their defense and avoid the edges where they're at their worst?  I can't imagine any reason/excuse that would make me think "Oh, now I see why you never ran Bell against the part of their defense that was the primary reason for them being last in the NFL against the run".

It smacks of yet another Jets head coach who is so set in his ways that he'd rather keep failing with his game plan than adjust to something else.

I always remember a quote I heard from Bryan Cox and his time with Belichick and the Jets.  Basically said BB was the only coach he ever played for who would tear up the entire week's game plan at halftime and install something completely new.  Not just an adjustment, but brand new everything.  But the Jets get the guys who keep doing the same thing over and over again whether it's working or not.

Edited by AFJF

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Leveon is simply too slow to exploit the corner. His game was never built on speed (ran a 4.6+ at the Combine), and he’s slower than that now. As bad as it was, it came down to the Bengals DL humiliating the Jets OL and Darnold having a seizure. 

Entirely possible the result would have been the same if the game plan was to run to the outside, but we'll never know because they didn't try.  What they did do was run at their two best players all day.  

At the end of the day, we're talking not only about losing to a team that won just 2 games all season, but getting the doors blown off by that 2-14 team.  

Hopefully I'm wrong and Gase is the next big thing.  But from what I've seen, he's a lot closer to being Kotite than he is to that.

Even with all of the additions and upgrades this offseason, a 5-11 record would not surprise me unless Gregg Williams' defense is a top 3 unit and they win some 13-10 type games.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess I’m not entirely sure of the complaint here. You wanted Gase to run Leveon Bell to the outside? Bell is functionally incapable of doing that, and his backup is Bilal Powell. The story of that game was Carlos Dunlap’s three sacks and 20 tackles for loss. 

My complaint is that it was the weakest part of the NFL's worst run defense and there was never even an effort to test it while an 0-11 team is curb stomping you.  Perhaps when that 0-11 team is en route to their 20 TFL's, you try something else? It certainly couldn't have been any worse.  But alas, Gase had a game plan and no matter the results on the field, there would be no exploration of alternative options.

Serious question; What is it about Gase that makes you think he's not a bottom 5 head coach?  What would you count as his 3 most impressive achievements in his time as a head coach?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think he’s a great head coach. I think he’s a mediocre head coach. But, I don’t find most of the arguments Jets fans make against him to be compelling. We all agree that Maccagnan was a catastrophic GM who built a bottom-three roster in football, but Gase should have 1. Won more than 7 games with it and/or 2. Beat better teams that were better than the ones on the Jets schedule(?) and also Mike McCarthy is a great coach who could have helped Maccagnan not suck and, P.S., Manish railroaded McCarthy’s chances at getting the job in the first place but now Manish hates Gase, so we should have hired McCarthy, and Gase didn’t want LeVeon because you don’t give that much in guarantees to a 28 year old back and then he goes out and sucks behind a line that sucks and Gase should have run more outside zone with a bunch of players who run like refrigerators? There are plenty of reasons to dislike Gase, but blaming him for all the Jets problems 15 months after hiring him is a little rich, especially among people who let Rex run roughshod over the organization for six years. 

So you're alright with sticking with a guy who you yourself believe is mediocre?

My issue with Gase this year was never the wins and losses.  My issue was the incompetence and how it all went down.  Coached scared, didn't play to guy's strengths and was quick to deflect blame.

I didn't want Gase or McCarthy and I still don't think Manish has as much power over the team's decisions as some seem to believe.

I'm not going to rehash Rex, but even he never had the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL, and that was with Darrin Walls and college S/LB Antonio Allen as his CB1 and CB2.

Edited by AFJF

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company