JetNation

Alex Lewis Responds to Manish Mehta via Instagram

So the author of this article has:

-Believed Antonio Cromartie when he said that he has talked with Adams and said that there are problems between Gase and Adams (an indirect source with previous credibility issues).

-Characterizes locker room issues with Gase based on “sources”.

-When a direct quote comes out of the locker room supporting Gase from a player, asks “ will more follow suit or stay silent”?

Someone has an agenda.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

It's expected that offensive players like Gase more than defensive players.  After all, Gase actually gives the offense the time of day.  His back is turned to the defense the whole practice, even when the offense goes back inside.

How is that possible when the offense scrimmages the defense?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

The Mosley comment is 1000% percent confusing.

For guys like AFJF and Fidelity, that accept any 3rd party accusation of Gase as being absolute truth, the “-“ is an em dash.

For guys that want would like to hear direct source knowledge that is quantified the “-“ is a minus sign.

Such subtle distinguishing.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I guess I believe it because when we saw how little Gase cares about his guys my initial reaction was "Wow, if you're gonna' treat your players like that, they won't support you for long".

I know that treating these guys like dirt was something coaches like Buddy Ryan and Bill Parcells got away with, but in 2020 when these guys make the money they make and are so often treated with kid gloves, I don't see how Gase's act (along with his on-field results) will make him a guy players want to play for.

Some guys will speak out in support of, but let's be honest here.  How often does a guy rip the coach he's currently playing for?  

I will suggest that you have no idea on how Buddy Ryan coached. He was the ultimate players coach. To a fault.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He has been asked about injured players in the past who were out of action for several weeks and he simply shrugs and says he hasn't spoken to the guy.  These aren't players who got hurt two or three days earlier.  These are players who were injured and rehabbing for weeks.  Much of which happens in the trainers room.  

Having spent years in the  military, I'm trying to guess how quickly I'd have lost my position of I told my commander that I had a sick or inured subordinate whom I haven't spoken to for days, let alone weeks.

The guy doesn't even care enough to realize it would be a good idea to pretend to care and pop his head in and say "hey man, how we doin'?

You mean like Bill Parcells who would not talk about injuries? He was indifferent and didn’t care?

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And the players haven't changed at all since then.  

YOU said that Buddy was tough on his players. That is absolutely not true. He actually was considered a players coach to a fault. He created a band with his defense on the Bears in opposition to the HC, Mike Ditka.

With the Eagles, Ryan created an air of the team vs ownership. He, of course was on the players side. He practically did not coach the scab team during the strike, because he did not want alienate the players.

You were wrong on that point, and it is ok. 

• Upvote 1

Explain to me how not divulging injury info to the media is the same as telling the media you haven't taken the time to touch base with an injured player?  

If you have not figured this out yet, Gase is not going to give the media what they want. With the media, yes he has a divisive relationship. That may be to his detriment, but that is the path he has chosen.

There are any number of coaches that do not discuss injuries with the media. There are many reasons for this. It could be because some coaches do not like the rest of the team focus on injuries, building in excuses (this was a Bill Parcells thing). It may be because any discussion about injury may give the opponent news they would not otherwise have, and advantage (this is a Bill Bellichick thing). It may be because injuries are private between the player and the organization (this is a HIPAA thing and really no business of the press).

Why Gase does it, and the way he does it, I am not sure. But for you to speculate based in something you do not know and spin it for your own validation of self belief is border line irresponsible. You just don’t know.

Gase may or may not be a good coach. 

Just now, AFJF said:

You're failing to realize that today's players are not like the players Ryan coached and this was my point.  The Jets best player was on the verge of a mental breakdown because the GM answered the phone.  Imagine that guy having a head coach.  He would've retired already.

You were the one that brought up Buddy Ryan, and in some manner related that to Gase. That was not me. 

And you failed in your attempt to characterize what kind of coach Ryan was during that period. It was a fail, plan and simple. He was not how you characterized him. Era be damned.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

So those two things are not the same.  Glad we agree.

Your simplistic  passive aggressive manner of trying to point things to the way that you think about a subject is a little odd. I will leave it at that.

You are a good writer. You do great things for this site. But I will tell you that you tend to fall on on side of a debate or another, and then close your mind to reasonable difference of opinion. Even when you are clearly wrong (the Buddy Ryan characterization). 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I thought most people knew what a hard ass Ryan was.  Pardon me if my posts don't come with a history lesson for those fans who require one.

But, he wasn’t. He was gruff with the media at times, and cantankerous with leadership many times, but he was a players coach through and through. His players LOVED him. He had their back.

Post want you want, but don’t expect me to pardon where you are wrong. 

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If Adam Gase did this to Jamal Adams it would go swimmingly.

When Larry Sullivant saw blood spreading on the back of his hand, he was glad.

It had been a long, hot afternoon scrimmage, and this new coach, a squat tyrant with a flat-top crew cut, had accused him of being a slacker and had been riding him hard. Sullivant jogged off the football field anticipating relief.

Sure enough, the coach inspected the gash and said: “Looks bad. It`ll need doctoring.”

Then he grabbed a handful of dirt, spit on the wound and pressed the dirt over it.

“That`ll do you,” the coach said. “Now get back out there.”

Pardon me, but I thought that you said this is a different time. That was the modus operandi for all coaches at that time. 

Budddy had his core guys, and they knew who they were. Do you think that a Larry Sullivant was a core Buddy guy? Or was he a guy that he could set up as an example for the team, while not doing it for a core player? Typical coaching tactic. Use sacrificial lambs.

Buddy loved is players. CrisCarter had a drug problem when with the Eagles and Buddy knew about it. He knew he needed a change of scenery. Buddy just cut Cris. He then said “All he does is catch TD passes”. He did not cut him down in the press, as he could have easily done.

Cris Carter considers Buddy one of his greatest coaches. 

Just now, AFJF said:

I said you can't treat guys the way Buddy did, such as saying a guy needs to see a doctor and instead of sending him to see one, spitting on the dude and telling him to get back on the field.

Honestly, I don’t even know what point you are trying to make any more, other than protecting your own personal opinion.

You seemingly seem to worship at the altar of Manish Mehta. And that is fine. Mehta has been pointed out to be a thin skinned media participator, and instances of his action seem to point to that characterization. I would suggest that you don’t follow him too closely.

• Upvote 1

Eh, I'm putting player moves on Douglas as opposed to Gase.  As far as player rebellions, that's just not something that happens in the NFL.  The other day a former Jets spoke to Jamal and came away saying Gase is a guy who doesn't care.  That's about as close as you'll get to a guy publicly criticizing his coach.  But if you like Gase, you say Cromartie, who Adams is clearly using as a moth piece, has no credibility because he hates condoms.

This isn't just about the Bengals game.  They weren't last in the NFL on offense because of one week.

Yeah, Antoine Cromartie the guy that you want to hitch your wagon to because of his virtue. The guy that evicted his own mother from his house. 

Again, consider sources. And hearsay is a terrible source from anyone. From that guy though, well conside whom you go to bed with Literally

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So I can listen to a former Jets player who is being used as a mouth piece by a self-centred narcissist who is at the center of what's going on, or I can listen to the self-centered narcissist with no access to anyone involved in the situation on a message board.  Tough call.

There are many suppositions you are making here:

-That Adams for some reason asked Cromartie to voice his feelings. You don’t know that

-That Cromartie is accurately emoting Adams’ experience. You don’t know that.

-That I have any horse in this race, other than doubting Cromartie’s credibility. One that you seem to be putting a lot of stock in.

Again,I am considering the source. And you seem to be putting all your stock in that source, only because it supports what you think is happening.

That is called blindly believing anything, because of, well, and agenda. You do a poor job hiding that. 

• Upvote 1

I just have to believe at this point there has been some directive given to stir the pot, in a period of down postings time. Only way I can justify this obfuscation happening

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, I only post when @Maxman tells me to.  He's supposed to send me an e-mail later today with updated talking points with an update on how close I am to my quota.

Welcome back. 

8 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I like to defend Gase here, but you make some very good points in this post.

Wish you had stopped there however.... 🙄

Never in the history of football message boards has someone been so disturbed by a supportive comment from a player about a coach, that they had to twist themselves into convulsive knots portraying sentiment is not in fact a reality. Because, you know, that player is not representative of the team. And, because Antonio Cromartie.

Mehta University.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Again, these were guys who ripped coaches after they were gone.  That's when it generally happens.  To claim Gase must be loved in the locker room now becasue none of his current players are ripping him is very naive. 

Is there somebody here claiming that Gase is loved by every player in this locker room? Who is making that claim?

Does anyone even care that a coach is not supposedly loved by everyone in a locker room? Is that even a thing? 

Show me a leader in any profession that is 100% loved, 100% of the time by 100% of their charge, and I will show you someone that is catering to the wrong aspects of his leadership.

Does it work that way in the Air Force? Did all the troops always say amongst themselves “You know, this squad leader, I don’t like his method, and that one day, he yelled at me, and I felt hurt in front of the squad. And those drills? What is up with those”? Did that happen often? Did that make them derelict to their duties? I don’t know. Curios on that.

I will tell you, this is this something that I do know, because I have been a leader of teams in the private sector. I did not give a flying F if the people underneath liked me or not. Or if they cared for my methods. I cared if they were team oriented and performed to what our expectations were. That is what is important. The rest is high school girl talk.

• Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Incorrect.  People are suggesting I don’t believe Gase is respected in the LR because of what Manish said.  Even minus what Manish said, Gase comes across as a guy who refuses accountability and does not care about his guys.

“Comes across as a guy” seems pretty scientific.

Whole lot of Michael Jackson type of dancing going on here by you for second hand attributions and pure guesswork on what someone might be. 

Criticize Gase for many things related to football, and that is fine. You second hand guessing his leadership and the methods are not a great hill for you to be dying on. 

Mehta has tried this approach, and been horrible at it., It has been yellow journalism and second rate. Picking mentors is a wise choice in life.

21 minutes ago, AFJF said:

A lot of people seem to be having a hard time seeing the difference between not talking to the media bout their players and not talking to their players.  It seems like a pretty clear difference when I write/read it but for some reason a lot of people keep seeing one and not the other or thinking the two are the same.

Also, he wasn't a rookie head coach last season so we have several seasons of failure and lack of accountability to look at.

It is certainly hard to understand why others are having problems with your stance when  you say“Gase comes across as a guy who” and “Gases strikes me” as pieces of your evidence. I mean who can argue with iron clad truths like those?

No, you are not agenda driven in the least.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think you've missed the countless posts/comments on this forum claiming Manish has no sources and makes up all of his stories.  This is wholly and verifiably incorrect.  Why this enrages people, I have no idea.   Perhaps because it's 2020 and nobody is ever able to say "Oh, I was wrong about that".  Everyone is an expert and everyone knows everything.  When presented with evidence that contradicts their agenda, narcissism won't allow them to just admit they were wrong.

Mirror, meet AFJF.

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

When you’re such a narcissist that you believe your opinions are facts.

I’ll bite. What opinions have I stated as fact here?

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Was Jamal requesting a trade a menial story?  I’d argue it was the biggest story of the offseason.

Grievances filed against the team by multiple people.  Does that fall under “meant for public consumption”?

Buggest free agent signings also menial?

What about the random firing of Morton a couple years back?  He wasn’t only the first to report it but forecasted it several days before it was official.  I remember that one well because somebody told me I was a “conspiracy theorist” when I said Manish was predicting a firing.

Dont like him?  That’s fine.  Everyone is entitled to feel how they like about any other person.  But the narratives about Manish aren’t supported by the facts, whether he comes in the JN podcast or not.

No one is right 100% of the time. No one is wrong 100% of the time. No one comes without some kind of “sources”.

The fact of the matter is that Mehta often seems to insert himself into the story, and become a part of the story.  Fact is also that many of the beat writers covering the same stories have complaints that Mehta creates his own “sources” on stories that never materialize any place else. It seems a strange coincidence.

Fact is the Daily News is a struggling entity that has had to scurry many of its writers, many of its infrastructure. Pure speculation on my part here, but typically when that happens, if you are part of a failing organization, you begin to look outside those walls and try to find a stable place to land. It happens often in that business. That Mehta has not been able to land someplace on his feet, may seem that others in the industry view him as “tarnished” and not worth taking a risk on hiring. Again, pure speculation on my part. But, based upon how Mehta conducts his business, he deserves that kind of scrutiny.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Only thing I’m “hitching my cart to” is reality.

I know people get emotional about this team being so terrible, but we should probably be upset about things that are real vs things that are imagined.

I suppose we’ll have some of that if George Fant gets Darnold killed.

Your posts seem to indicate otherwise. There are a lot of subjective innuendos in your posts.

Granted, you seem to do that a lot less in your “stories” for this site. That is more credible.

But you have to walk a fine line between blurring those lines. If you want both to have credibility. I will grant you that is a tough task. But is how you will be judged. 

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Manish trolls Jets fans. He has agendas and isn't objective. I called him out on this yesterday.

He responded:

xxs

Since he was insisting that all he was doing was asking a question, I answered it:

Does Manish have sources? Sure. Good for him, but that doesn't mean he is truthful or won't push his agendas and false narratives every chance he gets.

Great job. As a reporter, there should be some level of objectivity and ability to remove one's self from the story. He can't do that. 

I am not sure what this regime has done to raise his ire, but something was done. And he acts like a lover scorned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The few personal exchanges I have had with Manish, he has been great. He seems like a really nice guy when you deal with him. That being said, what he does trolling the team and Jets fans isn't right. So I have no problem calling him out on that.

Some truly believe that the pen is mightier than the sword, and use that as their personal vendetta tool.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

This has been my point all along.  Thanks.

What good are sources, if you misconstrue what they are saying?

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company