JetNation

Alex Lewis Responds to Manish Mehta via Instagram

18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

When Jamal Adams says "Gase man bad", we must believe him at all costs.

When someone else says "Gase man really not that bad" it's a conspiracy on par with the Kennedy assassination.

Technically, they’ve never quoted anyone who’s played for Gase who dislikes Gase. Not a one

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Seriously.. it's a real weird world we're living in when I of all people somehow need to come to some slight degree of defense of Gase.  I may hate everything about having him here, but that's not due to him as a person as much as his long-proven complete inability to actually coach football competently.

Totally fair, imo. It was a weird hire and not one most people agreed with, but since he’s been here, a bunch of smart hires and acquisitions have taken place, so he deserves credit, at least, for accelerating that process. Give him this year, roll the bones, if it doesn’t work out, the worst case scenario is that he’ll have left the team, and the marketability of the HC position, better than he found it. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They don't hate him, they just aren't going to confuse him for Rex or Bowles anytime soon.  They know he's all business and they have a degree of respect for him because of that.

I had assumed, when we hired him, that he was this hardo that people hated, but when I researched it more the consensus among the Dolphins beat was just what you said—the players didn’t hate him (other than the random malcontent like Landry) but they respected how prepared he was yadda yadda. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Buddy Ryan and Bill Parcells

Players almost universally loved playing for Parcells and Buddy Ryan 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Let me ask you this though.  Were those guys built different?

Seriously though, it was a different era.  Those players didn't get coddled and didn't expect to be treated like they were the center of the universe.  You'll never hear of a coach today doing some of the things that Buddy did to his guys.  Didn't he used to make injured players push barrels full of sand from one end of the field to the other if they weren't able to practice?  Try that in 2020.

It’s a different era, but Nick Saban and Belichick are the meanest a-hole coaches alive and players rush to be in those programs. Players want structure and coherent, consistent application of reinforcement for their actions. Soft coaches get run over and soft coaches who aren’t innately tough get sniffed out and curb stomped. This has been true forever. Also true: the presence of entitled titty-baby players on any given roster who feel like they deserve special treatment and lose their minds when they can’t get it. These players are deeply insecure weaklings who were coddled from the time they were dominating Pee Wee football. This type of player isn’t commonplace, but they’re always loud so they received outsized coverage from the media. A team will tolerate this type of malcontent for as long as that player’s utility exceeds his mouth, but the nanosecond that ratio inverts, the team throws that guy out onto the street. How much noise can a guy who had 61 tackles and an INT make before he’s not worth keeping around? Football is on the verge of being shut down for at least a year and we’re here in late June with the head coach of the football team being asked to justify why his strong safety shouldn’t get a contract he isn’t owed for two more years. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Gase was 100% correct with Jarvis Landry and Jay Ajayi.  100%

Now as for not playing Kenyon Drake....   that one is inexplicable.

Should be noted that Miami dumped Drake for pennies a year after firing Gase. 

Just now, AFJF said:

And averaged 5.2 YPC at his new place.

Right, but why not ask Brian Flores why he dumped Drake? Apparently, Gase isn’t the only coach who found him to be problematic 

Just now, AFJF said:

Honestly?  Because I don't care about Brian Flores and don't know Miami's situation well enough to know if he has control of the 53.  

Bottom line is that Drake was booted by a different coach and regime than Gase. Not sure why we blame Gase for the downfall of Kenyan Drake

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't think Drake ever had a "downfall" per se.  He just lost reps to Frank Gore under Gase and then like so many of Gase's other players, played his best football under a different coach.

Did he, though? In 2018, Drake scored 9 TDs for the Dolphins and averaged 4.6 ypc. With the Cardinals, it was 8 TDs and 5.2. The Cardinals just gave him a relatively measly 1 year, $8 mil deal. 

• Upvote 1

Also worth noting that somebody named Chase Edmonds was averaging 5.1 ypc for the Cards before Drake got there

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If the numbers are that close we're splitting hairs.  Better runner with ARI and better receiver with Miami, which is ironic because that was Gase's biggest failure this year.  They needed all the help they cold get at receiver but Bell rarely saw targets out of the slot or boundary.

I've lost count of how many people say that Gase couldn't split Bell out wide because he needed him to block, but you and I both know Powell is one of the best blocking RB's in the NFL.  Zero reason why he couldn't have had Powell block with Bell in the slot to create some mismatches.  Especially with such a terrible O-line, it would've been ideal to have Bell work quick/short underneath routes against some linebackers.

It was definitely strange. He had two accomplished receiving backs in Bell and Montgomery and didn’t use them in that capacity at all. 

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Which is fine if the offense is humming along, but when you're 32nd in the NFL and you continue to not use every resource at your disposal to get better, it raises flags regarding your competence.

The Cincy game is another example.  You lost to an 0-11 team with the worst run defense in the NFL in a unit that continually got exploited to the outside.  I don't think I saw Bell run to the outside at all in that game.

The defense I hear of that is that the Jets O-line was terrible too.  This is true, but if you have a terrible O-line and a terrible run defense, have those scrubs fight it out in the trenches and let your HOF caliber RB be the difference maker by sending him to the spots where their defense is at its worst.  We saw none of that.

A lot of people cite the strong finish as reason to believe in Gase but beating a couple rookie QB's, a third-string QB and Buffalo's "B" team doesn't do as much for me as it does for some folks.

I think the problem is that, at no point last season, did Leveon Bell look anything like a Hall of Fame RB. I’ll keep pointing out that he averaged a wee 4.0 ypc his last season in Pittsburgh running behind three Pro Bowl linemen. The Bengals loss was gross, but when Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins are taking turns flipping Chuma Edoga around like Orcas torturing a baby seal, it’s tough to overcome. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I saw enough 2-3 yard runs out of Bell where he had to make 4 guys miss to get there that I know he can still play.

That’s what happens when you receive the handoff and stand in the backfield for three seconds before trying to advance the ball.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Exactly.  It was ugly.  But as I said with Cincy, why run up the gut to the strength of their defense and avoid the edges where they're at their worst?  I can't imagine any reason/excuse that would make me think "Oh, now I see why you never ran Bell against the part of their defense that was the primary reason for them being last in the NFL against the run".

It smacks of yet another Jets head coach who is so set in his ways that he'd rather keep failing with his game plan than adjust to something else.

I always remember a quote I heard from Bryan Cox and his time with Belichick and the Jets.  Basically said BB was the only coach he ever played for who would tear up the entire week's game plan at halftime and install something completely new.  Not just an adjustment, but brand new everything.  But the Jets get the guys who keep doing the same thing over and over again whether it's working or not.

Leveon is simply too slow to exploit the corner. His game was never built on speed (ran a 4.6+ at the Combine), and he’s slower than that now. As bad as it was, it came down to the Bengals DL humiliating the Jets OL and Darnold having a seizure. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Entirely possible the result would have been the same if the game plan was to run to the outside, but we'll never know because they didn't try.  What they did do was run at their two best players all day.  

At the end of the day, we're talking not only about losing to a team that won just 2 games all season, but getting the doors blown off by that 2-14 team.  

Hopefully I'm wrong and Gase is the next big thing.  But from what I've seen, he's a lot closer to being Kotite than he is to that.

Even with all of the additions and upgrades this offseason, a 5-11 record would not surprise me unless Gregg Williams' defense is a top 3 unit and they win some 13-10 type games.

I guess I’m not entirely sure of the complaint here. You wanted Gase to run Leveon Bell to the outside? Bell is functionally incapable of doing that, and his backup is Bilal Powell. The story of that game was Carlos Dunlap’s three sacks and 20 tackles for loss. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

We averaged more YPC on outside runs than inside on the season.

That’s interesting considering Bell averaged 3.2 ypc. What was his average on runs to the outside?

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Serious question; What is it about Gase that makes you think he's not a bottom 5 head coach?  What would you count as his 3 most impressive achievements in his time as a head coach?

I don’t think he’s a great head coach. I think he’s a mediocre head coach. But, I don’t find most of the arguments Jets fans make against him to be compelling. We all agree that Maccagnan was a catastrophic GM who built a bottom-three roster in football, but Gase should have 1. Won more than 7 games with it in his first season and/or 2. Beat teams that were better than the ones on the Jets schedule(?) and also Mike McCarthy is a great coach who could have helped Maccagnan not suck and, P.S., Manish railroaded McCarthy’s chances at getting the job in the first place but now Manish hates Gase, so we should have hired McCarthy,(?) and Gase didn’t want LeVeon because you don’t give that much in guarantees to a 28 year old back and then he goes out and sucks behind a line that sucks and Gase should have run more outside zone with a bunch of players who run like refrigerators? There are plenty of reasons to dislike Gase, but blaming him for all the Jets problems 15 months after hiring him is a little rich, especially among people who let Rex run roughshod over the organization for six years. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So you're alright with sticking with a guy who you yourself believe is mediocre?

My issue with Gase this year was never the wins and losses.  My issue was the incompetence and how it all went down.  Coached scared, didn't play to guy's strengths and was quick to deflect blame.

I didn't want Gase or McCarthy and I still don't think Manish has as much power over the team's decisions as some seem to believe.

I'm not going to rehash Rex, but even he never had the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL, and that was with Darrin Walls and college S/LB Antonio Allen as his CB1 and CB2.

I’m saying that your time to dispute the hiring of Gase was before he was hired. Much of what’s transpired since his hiring has been a net positive. He went 7-9, he’s improved the talent of the front office and the talent on the roster. He’s moved the team forward at a much faster pace than anyone could have anticipated. He’s clearing dead wood, including Adams, and  he’s replacing it with high character players who want to be here. There is no sign of mutiny or rebellion. Not one Jets player has said a bad word about him. Not one anonymously sourced coach or scout has had a complaint about him. In the big picture, he’s doing the yeoman work that leads to sustainable success. All of that is worth a lot more than tripping over a sh*tty game plan against the Bengals in November. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Eh, I'm putting player moves on Douglas as opposed to Gase.  As far as player rebellions, that's just not something that happens in the NFL.  The other day a former Jets spoke to Jamal and came away saying Gase is a guy who doesn't care.  That's about as close as you'll get to a guy publicly criticizing his coach.  But if you like Gase, you say Cromartie, who Adams is clearly using as a moth piece, has no credibility because he hates condoms.

This isn't just about the Bengals game.  They weren't last in the NFL on offense because of one week.

Yeah, I think if Gase was as bad as the fans think, we’d have a lot more evidence than sh*tbag Antonio Cromartie inferring that fellow sh*tbag Jamal Adams thinks Gase “doesn’t care.” The team could have rolled over and gotten Gase fired pretty easily last season and they actually played harder and more cohesively as the season went on. That Ravens game was the most fun I’ve had watching a Jets team compete in about ten years. The evidence just isn’t there to support the narrative that Gase is poison in the locker room

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If we want to ignore Cromartie and the Dolphins players who were critical of him after he was fired and the players who were upset about him lying to the media about conversations he had with them then we're left with his record as a coach, which is also bad.

Like, which Dolphins players?

Notable that more Patriots players, including Brady and Gronkowski, have taken shots at Belichick this offseason than there have been Jets players taking shots at Gase

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Landry, Jordan Phillips, Ja'Wuan James and I'd imagine Reshad Jones after Gase lied to the media about a conversation he never had with Jones.

Now I know you'll toss the criticism aside for any variety of reasons you can find, but they are what they are.  Former players who celebrated his firing.  Around the time of his firing I also recall talk of Cameron Wake being fed up with Gase.

Devastating broadsides from some high-character figures, to be sure:

“We never honestly had an identity. When you don’t have an identity as an offense it’s hard because you don’t know what to go to when things go wrong. You’re just trying stuff.” - Miami Dolphins OT Ja’Wuan James.“

8F80A6DE-B2A2-4358-95D5-1DA94CEDA9A6.jpeg

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

“Former players”.

I was referring to current players.  Of course nobody who plays for Gase is going to say publicly that they don’t  like him right now.  That’s what I was saying doesn’t happen.  And if so, it’s incredibly rare.

You say that players won’t come out and publicly trash their coach, then you say that the players hate the coach despite having no evidence and, in fact, plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Just now, AFJF said:

Players who are currently playing for their coach.  I literally just showed you that guys will rip a coach once he's gone.

You showed me that JuWuan James said the Dolphins had no identity and Jordan Phillips was upset about being cut at midseason by the Dolphins.

As I said, I expected you to dismiss the guys who support my claim by questioning their character.  Doesn't change the fact that his former players celebrated his firing.  

Why you're so determined to defend a coach that you view as mediocre is beyond me, but this is armageddon so why not?

I dismissed you post by posting what they actually said.

Just now, AFJF said:

You showed their quotes and pointed to their character instead of what  they were saying.  You also didn't address Gase lying to the media about meeting with one of his players and other players laughing at and celebrating his firing.

Do you want Gase back if it's a 6-10 season?

I posted the actual quotes, sir. The fact that all of those players are absolute dogs is simply a coincidence.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes,  Every player who does not share your view is a dog.  I know the drill.

The actual quotes, sir

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

literally had no idea who Jordan Phillips was until this thread.

He’s on his third team in six years. Former 51st overall pick.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Quotes, right.

So, do you bring Gase back at 5-11?  Or what if it's 9-7 but the offense is a Gase-like 25th in the NFL?  

I bring Gase back if the team competes, Darnold improves by a lot, and the players that he and Douglas brought in produce. I would not root for Gase to be fired because of anything a scrub like JuWuan James may or may bot have felt about him. I’d consider it a positive thing if lazy malcontents didn’t like playing for my coach. 

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

We know previous players have ripped him

I’m sorry, did you provide a link where players actually ripped him or were you referring to Jordan Phillips again?

• Upvote 1

The life of a Jets fan.  Defend the honor of a mediocre head coach who thought Luke Falk was an NFL QB.

Glenn, this coming from a guy who capes for Rex to this very day, this is rich

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not sure what Rex has to do with Luke Falk, but okay.

That thing Jordan Phillips was upset about

Signing Luke Falk to be the emergency QB.

Quite the case you’re building

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, AFJF said:

- 32nd ranked offense in the NFL

- Lost to winless Dolphins

- Lost to winless Bengals, making  him the.....

- First coach in NFL history to lose to 2 winless teams in week 7 or later

- Even his most devout supporter refers to him as mediocre

That thing Jordan Phillips was upset about

Signing Luke Falk to be the emergency QB.

Lost two winnable games that would have put the Jets at 9-7 in a season where the dread Luke Falk started three games

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company