JetNation

Alex Lewis Responds to Manish Mehta via Instagram

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m saying that your time to dispute the hiring of Gase was before he was hired. Much of what’s transpired since his hiring has been a net positive. He went 7-9, he’s improved the talent of the front office and the talent on the roster. He’s moved the team forward at a much faster pace than anyone could have anticipated. He’s clearing dead wood, including Adams, and  he’s replacing it with high character players who want to be here. There is no sign of mutiny or rebellion. Not one Jets player has said a bad word about him. Not one anonymously sourced coach or scout has had a complaint about him. In the big picture, he’s doing the yeoman work that leads to sustainable success. All of that is worth a lot more than tripping over a sh*tty game plan against the Bengals in November. 

Eh, I'm putting player moves on Douglas as opposed to Gase.  As far as player rebellions, that's just not something that happens in the NFL.  The other day a former Jets spoke to Jamal and came away saying Gase is a guy who doesn't care.  That's about as close as you'll get to a guy publicly criticizing his coach.  But if you like Gase, you say Cromartie, who Adams is clearly using as a moth piece, has no credibility because he hates condoms.

This isn't just about the Bengals game.  They weren't last in the NFL on offense because of one week.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yeah, Antoine Cromartie the guy that you want to hitch your wagon to because of his virtue. The guy that evicted his own mother from his house. 

Again, consider sources. And hearsay is a terrible source from anyone. From that guy though, well conside whom you go to bed with Literally

So I can listen to a former Jets player who is being used as a mouth piece by a self-centred narcissist who is at the center of what's going on, or I can listen to the self-centered narcissist with no access to anyone involved in the situation on a message board.  Tough call.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I think if Gase was as bad as the fans think, we’d have a lot more evidence than sh*tbag Antonio Cromartie inferring that fellow sh*tbag Jamal Adams thinks Gase “doesn’t care.” The team could have rolled over and gotten Gase fired pretty easily last season and they actually played harder and more cohesively as the season went on. That Ravens game was the most fun I’ve had watching a Jets team compete in about ten years. The evidence just isn’t there to support the narrative that Gase is poison in the locker room

If we want to ignore Cromartie and the Dolphins players who were critical of him after he was fired and the players who were upset about him lying to the media about conversations he had with them then we're left with his record as a coach, which is also bad.

Hoping at this point that JD is good enough to gather enough talent to overcome Gase a la Barry Switzer in Dallas or that CJ gives him the boot and brings in Bieniemy or Todd Monken if they can't pry Shaw away from Stanford.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Like, which Dolphins players?

Landry, Jordan Phillips, Ja'Wuan James and I'd imagine Reshad Jones after Gase lied to the media about a conversation he never had with Jones.

Now I know you'll toss the criticism aside for any variety of reasons you can find, but they are what they are.  Former players who celebrated his firing.  Around the time of his firing I also recall talk of Cameron Wake being fed up with Gase.

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Calling Al Groh, Al Groh please pick up the nearest courtesy phone

Which players openly ripped Groh to the press while he was still the HC?

27 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/nfl-groh-is-defiant-with-no-regrets-1.461384

Here's two players with a bare minimum of a search:

"But there is a defiant tone when asked about the criticism leveled at him by some of his former players."

"Center Kevin Mawae was particularly strident about Groh's coaching techniques, saying that the players had requested that he back off on physical practices and complaining that the Jets were burned out by the end of the season. Groh, who said he was unaware of Mawae's comments until yesterday, momentarily smiled when they were relayed to him."

"[Mawae] was always one of the guys who didn't want to work," said Groh,

"Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde also was critical of Groh's practice regimen, saying the team ran out of gas by the end of the season."

“Former players”.

I was referring to current players.  Of course nobody who plays for Gase is going to say publicly that they don’t  like him right now.  That’s what I was saying doesn’t happen.  And if so, it’s incredibly rare.

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He wouldn't talk to the media about the injury, not the player. @AFJF  is just straight making sh*t up just like his hero Mansh*t

Don’t be upset because some of us pay closer attention to the team than you do.  Nothing wrong with being a part-time fan.  

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Can we stop with this back and forth? It’s just going in circles.

I hate Manish. We hate Manish.

We both KNOW Manish.

When you are running a website, radio station, blog, you’re biggest challenge is getting in front of people, unless you have deep pockets. The reason Manish comes on the site is because it gets the website out there. That’s the whole point, to expand the brand, instead of a circle jerk here.

Manish comes on, says whatever, and then other outlets pick it up as “Manish on JN says....”. It’s the “on JN” that’s important. It’s marketing.

Manish is a marketing tool, which is his best aspect. If you hate Manish, stop listening to him. Instead we have 8 page tirades discussing him, which is EXACTLY what he wants. Do you think he lays in bed at night twisting and turning going “God damn it, poster xxxxxx doesn’t like me, I wonder if I should take some online classes”. He loves it when people respond because that’s his job.

Does Manish have sources? Maybe, albeit not many. Does he make up sources? Absolutely. Why? Because that’s his job.

JN runs radio and blog, and getting Manish helps that effort. He’s a pathway to exposure. Mehta gets his name out there. You don’t get business relations by trashing them publicly.

So can we please stop with this? If you hate Manish, that’s fine. If you like him, that’s fine. But this back and forth of why JN works with him is useless.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Some solid points in here.  The main thing to me is that people get legitimately enraged over the fact that I say Manish has sources despite the fact that just last week he broke the Denzel Mims signing and Jamal demanding a trade.  These aren't the types of things somebody can just dream up and then they just happen to be true. 

Mob mentality has a strong grip on some of the posters here and while it's sad on the one hand, it's super fascinating to watch it manifest to the point of people making personal attacks on a football message board.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Devastating broadsides from some high-character figures, to be sure:

“We never honestly had an identity. When you don’t have an identity as an offense it’s hard because you don’t know what to go to when things go wrong. You’re just trying stuff.” - Miami Dolphins OT Ja’Wuan James.“

8F80A6DE-B2A2-4358-95D5-1DA94CEDA9A6.jpeg

As I said, I expected you to dismiss the guys who support my claim by questioning their character.  Doesn't change the fact that his former players celebrated his firing.  

Why you're so determined to defend a coach that you view as mediocre is beyond me, but this is armageddon so why not?

Just now, T0mShane said:

You say that players won’t come out and publicly trash their coach, then you say that the players hate the coach despite having no evidence and, in fact, plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Players who are currently playing for their coach.  I literally just showed you that guys will rip a coach once he's gone.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I dismissed you post by posting what they actually said.

You showed their quotes and pointed to their character instead of what  they were saying.  You also didn't address Gase lying to the media about meeting with one of his players and other players laughing at and celebrating his firing.

Do you want Gase back if it's a 6-10 season?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I posted the actual quotes, sir. The fact that all of those players are absolute dogs is simply a coincidence.

Yes,  Every player who does not share your view is a dog.  I know the drill.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

When players come to his defense it's "that's only a few players out of 90."

When players attack him it's "did you know that Gase is actually the anti-christ?"

Not sure how long you've been watching the NFL, but players praising their coaches is far more frequent thatn players publicly ripping them. 

It can be a lot like being a professional in real life.  One tip that is often given to job seekers who are about to go on an interview is not to bad mouth your previous employer as the hiring company could see you as somebody who will turn around and do it to them if you move on at some point.  Say something neutral like "I was ready for a change of scenery" as opposed to, "those guys at compnay xyz are a bunch of morons".

Stop and think about it.  There are rougly 2,000 players who get cycled through NFL rosters every year.  Do you think 99.9% of them love all of their coaches and have nothing bad to say about them, or do you think their agent has explained the importance of not trying to publicly humiliate somebody as it may hurt your chances of landing with another team if and when you're on the market?

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The actual quotes, sir

Quotes, right.

So, do you bring Gase back at 5-11?  Or what if it's 9-7 but the offense is a Gase-like 25th in the NFL?  

Just now, Mogglez said:

So the basis of your argument is that 3 players went public with their comments so, therefore, many players must dislike him and all the praise from other players is to be ignored.  Got it.  Do you not understand how utterly ridiculous that sounds?

I can find bad comments about Mike McCarthy, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, and just about any other coach in the league because, newsflash: not everyone is gonna like their boss.

No, the basis of my comments is that in all the times I've been watching the NFL, I've never seen a head coach who as indifferent to his players as Gase is.  I heard what he said and how he said it about his players and thought he wouldn't be a very popular guy in his own locker room.  

We know previous players have ripped him, we know that at least two of his players from last year field grievances against the team and we know Jamal spoke to Cro, who immediately went to twitter to say the Jets hired a coach who doesn't care.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I bring Gase back if the team competes, Darnold improves by a lot, and the players that he and Douglas brought in produce. I would not root for Gase to be fired because of anything a scrub like JuWuan James may or may bot have felt about him. I’d consider it a positive thing if lazy malcontents didn’t like playing for my coach. 

Agree with most of this but I wouldn't want him fired because of James' comments.  I'd want him fired because he's been terrible at his job.  Or in your words, mediocre.

Just now, Mogglez said:

So in all your years in the NFL, did you never listen to what people said about Tom Coughlin? BB is notorious for not giving a sh*t and making football miserable for people, but he's the greatest HC in the history of football so people don't give a damn that he's an a$$hole.

We also know that many players have come to his defense.  Way more than those who have actually put their names to comments. The grievances?  That is more of a front office thing, not a HC deal.  You wanna blast Douglas for that?  Be my guest.  Just make sure you apply the criticism to the right person.

Cromartie is, quite frankly, a f*cking idiot in his own right, and I don't care that he regurgitated a story from a whiney petulant child like Jamal Adams, who used him as a mouthpiece after publicly embarrassing himself.  Cromartie called Todd Bowles a great HC.  That's all that really needs to be said.

You're not understading what I'm saying so no need to keep going.

All the best.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m sorry, did you provide a link where players actually ripped him or were you referring to Jordan Phillips again?

The life of a Jets fan.  Defend the honor of a mediocre head coach who thought Luke Falk was an NFL QB.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Glenn, this coming from a guy who capes for Rex to this very day, this is rich

Not sure what Rex has to do with Luke Falk, but okay.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Hypocrisy thy name is Glenn:

You may find this hard to believe, but writing for JN doesn't give me the same level of access to the players that Adam Gase has.  I was optimistic because I liked him out of college.  Gase saw him up close and personal for a full year and thought it would be a good idea to hang on to him.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yes, Gase thought Falk was worth a developmental place on his roster, especially after he outplayed Davis Webb by a significant margin in pre-season.  I guess we need to sue him for being forced to start the aforementioned developmental player due to injury to the backup and freak illness to the starter.

Also, you were defending Falk and blaming Gase for his faults well after he proved he couldn't cut it, so you can throw you're "limited access" card out the window.

I was blaming Gase for the atrocious game plan.  Any idea how many third downs they converted with Gase's hand-picked guy?  Steelers were foced to play their QB3 this year and I'm almost postive he led the Steelers to a first down at some point.  If Gase is an offensive genius, the results sure have a funny way of showing it.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

That thing Jordan Phillips was upset about

Signing Luke Falk to be the emergency QB.

Quite the case you’re building

- 32nd ranked offense in the NFL

- Lost to winless Dolphins

- Lost to winless Bengals, making  him the.....

- First coach in NFL history to lose to 2 winless teams in week 7 or later

- Even his most devout supporter refers to him as mediocre

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Duck Hodges was awful too, with a better roster.  That's the hill you want to die on?  One awful developmental 3rd string QB was better than another awful developmental 3rd string QB?  They both don't belong in the NFL, and that's all that matters, right?

I'm not making the case for Gase being an offensive genius.  I'm pointing out the utter hypocrisy of complaining that he thought Falk was an NFL QB when you yourself felt the same way, going as far as to defend the guy when he was sh*tting his diaper at the sight of a simple blitz.  Don't hide behind the "limited access" excuse again either.  That's as soft as baby sh*t.

Fans who have never seen a guy in practice should have the same level of knowledge about a player who Adam Gase has been coaching for a full season.  This is a pretty strong point.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I just have to believe at this point there has been some directive given to stir the pot, in a period of down postings time. Only way I can justify this obfuscation happening

Yes, I only post when @Maxman tells me to.  He's supposed to send me an e-mail later today with updated talking points with an update on how close I am to my quota.

Edited by AFJF
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Once again, you defended him after he proved himself to be incompetent.

By all means, keep going.  Hypocrisy is a great look.

Because two games with no game plan and limited practice reps is the same thing as a full season of unlimited access.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Something tells me, even if you had all that unlimited access, you'd still be sitting here spewing the same hypocritical nonsense.

Nothing beats a good conspiracy theory.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Parcells has had his list of players.  So did Mangini.  Hell, so did Rex.

A couple of players who whine after a HC is gone is par for the course.  

Was Gase ripped the same way McCarthy, the other choice, they way McCarthy was by a HOF, GOAT QB?

Again, these were guys who ripped coaches after they were gone.  That's when it generally happens.  To claim Gase must be loved in the locker room now becasue none of his current players are ripping him is very naive. 

47 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But to just decide that they dont like him because no one is ripping him is bizarre 

Theres no indication that there is anything close to a problem other than to do a Manish 

I can see why folks who see Gase as an offensive innovator who is the future of the NFL would want to ignore Cromartie speaking out on behalf of Jamal because it’s a bad look for their guy.

Thing is, having seen good leadership up close and personal for many years, Gase’s flippant reactions to his injured players made me come to the conclusion on my own that guys wouldn’t exactly be inspired by that and I’ve said as much several times.  

A lot of people don’t understand this concept because they’ve never been a good leader themselves or seen a good leader in action.  (I’ve experienced the latter in combat zones and in peace time). Leadership matters and part of leading is taking an interest in your people.

My stance is that Gase strikes me as a poor leader who takes no interest in his guys while they’re hurt. He points fingers when things go wrong. His players have been critical of him in the past, two players have filed grievances against the team with him at the helm, Cromartie talked to Adams and came away saying Gase doesn’t care.  So even if we ignore Manish, it’s blind homerism to say there are no red flags regarding Gase’s ability to lead.

Hopefully this is an area of strength for Joe D and he can sit Gase down and mentor him, explaining the importance of taking two seconds out of his day to shake a guy’s hand while he’s rehabbing and ask how he’s coming along.

I’ve seen people fired for not taking the time to make a small gesture to show you take an interest in somebody whom you’re expected to lead.

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We have entered the “I played Single-A baseball” zone.

Read the words very closely. I said I witnessed it. I never said I did it. Huge difference.

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres a whole lot of words here that are either over the top and self serving , like the first paragraph or just plain crystal ball material.

Oaches leave and players complain.  Players don't like certain coaches.  Happens and who cares.  You've seen plenty of good leaders in action.  I bet none think their jobs are to be loved.  

Incorrect.  People are suggesting I don’t believe Gase is respected in the LR because of what Manish said.  Even minus what Manish said, Gase comes across as a guy who refuses accountability and does not care about his guys.

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let’s also do a close reading of Cromartie’s Gase comment: 

Question: If this was the entire criticism of Gase that Cro gleaned from his call with Adams—that he “doesn’t care” about Adams’ contract situation—isn’r it an overreaction to say that Gase, when compared to George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower, comes up lacking in the leadership department? 

Except it’s not my entire criticism of Gase, so why cherry pick?

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Comes across.  Same thing as guessing.  You can't tell a thing about him refusing responsibility to that he doesnt care about his guys from how he comes across in press conferences.  

Parcells was the ultimate I dont give a shlt, its my way or leave HC by the way he came off, hell by what he said.  He cared about his guys more than anyone.   

You've got nothing to go on but your impression of him based on 7-9, his record and nothing about any knowledge of how he gets along with his Jet players

A lot of people seem to be having a hard time seeing the difference between not talking to the media bout their players and not talking to their players.  It seems like a pretty clear difference when I write/read it but for some reason a lot of people keep seeing one and not the other or thinking the two are the same.

Also, he wasn't a rookie head coach last season so we have several seasons of failure and lack of accountability to look at.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Because it’s the lone piece of evidence that you repeatedly point to as proof that there’s an anti-Gase sentiment in the Jets locker room. 

No, it's the lone piece you've decided to latch on to.  Career record, 32nd ranked offense, inability to deploy personnel correctly, lie to media about meeting with players, didn't play to player's strengths or opponent's weaknesses.  

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Honestly I’m not getting your argument.  You want to tell me, repeatedly that you can tell things like Gase doesn’t care about his players by he public persona.  

I could care less what a butt hurt Landry said after the fins wouldn’t make him the worlds highest paid WR.  Actually there’s a similar situation.  Or Ajayi who everyone says was a problem.  You know sometimes teams are just made up of asswhipes 

This isn't specifict ot Gase.  This is any human being who is in charge of a group of people.  If anyone were to tell me they worked in a high-rish job where violence is the norm and after suffering an injury their boss went several weeks without checking in to see how they were doing, I'd know that the person they work for doesn't care about them.    It's not a "feeling' or a "hunch".  It's a fact.  That is terrible leadership.  

39 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I don't generally agree with you on Manish, I think he's stirring the pot more so than anything because that's what sells.  However, as much as I don't think he has sources, that's solely based on unconfirmed sources, I respect your right to have the stance on the opposite end.  Neither I, nor you, have damning evidence to point one way or another, but I don't understand why there's such back and forth on it in this thread.  

You're entitled to assume he got lucky and guessed right on Mims signing last week as well as being first on Jamal's trade request which Cimini repeated 15 minutes later, but I'd put that down to him having sources.  People are so married to the "he has no sources" mantra that they'll keep saying it despite very clear evidence to the contrary.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company