Alex Lewis Responds to Manish Mehta via Instagram

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Seriously.. it's a real weird world we're living in when I of all people somehow need to come to some slight degree of defense of Gase.  I may hate everything about having him here, but that's not due to him as a person as much as his long-proven complete inability to actually coach football competently.

Totally fair, imo. It was a weird hire and not one most people agreed with, but since he’s been here, a bunch of smart hires and acquisitions have taken place, so he deserves credit, at least, for accelerating that process. Give him this year, roll the bones, if it doesn’t work out, the worst case scenario is that he’ll have left the team, and the marketability of the HC position, better than he found it. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They don't hate him, they just aren't going to confuse him for Rex or Bowles anytime soon.  They know he's all business and they have a degree of respect for him because of that.

I had assumed, when we hired him, that he was this hardo that people hated, but when I researched it more the consensus among the Dolphins beat was just what you said—the players didn’t hate him (other than the random malcontent like Landry) but they respected how prepared he was yadda yadda. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Totally fair, imo. It was a weird hire and not one most people agreed with, but since he’s been here, a bunch of smart hires and acquisitions have taken place, so he deserves credit, at least, for accelerating that process. Give him this year, roll the bones, if it doesn’t work out, the worst case scenario is that he’ll have left the team, and the marketability of the HC position, better than he found it. 

That is one point I can at least understand and is fair, but for me is also more of an indictment of the inexplicably dumber of the Johnson brothers that it really even came to that.  It's the main reason my hatred has become slightly less vehement than it was at the time of the hire, but I still look forward to the day the Jets may actually find a coach that has the ability to, you know... coach.  That's something that's seemed to stump this team far more often than not.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So if its not Gase's fault or Joe Douglas's fault or the fans' fault....

Whose fault is it????  

lol...not really sure there is someone to blame except @FidelioJet for creating this drama. 

All parties looking out for the own self-interests...Jamal's wants to get paid...a smart GM tell him to wait...suggesting Gase as the reason is just excuse making.  If he want to out his sources I'd re-consider but for now it is what it is.  

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cowherd makes the same point you just did...anything less than 8-8 and he's probably gone.  Still need to find another coach who could/wants to win here with this ownership group.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's still far better than the 0 guys out of 90 who have said differently.

I'm the biggest Gase hater you will ever find, but Mehta's BS is such pure nonsense.

I guess I believe it because when we saw how little Gase cares about his guys my initial reaction was "Wow, if you're gonna' treat your players like that, they won't support you for long".

I know that treating these guys like dirt was something coaches like Buddy Ryan and Bill Parcells got away with, but in 2020 when these guys make the money they make and are so often treated with kid gloves, I don't see how Gase's act (along with his on-field results) will make him a guy players want to play for.

Some guys will speak out in support of, but let's be honest here.  How often does a guy rip the coach he's currently playing for?  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mehta claimed "majority".  

Do we really need every player to respond to determine Mehta was full of sh*t?  Mehta only knows three modes:  Lies, damned lies, and an occasional scoop (such as - the Jets are playing the Bills Week 1!  Wow, awesome work!) to keep people like you thinking he's a real journalist.

Can we be real here?  Nobody is going to openly admit to hating the coach who is currently coaching the team.  That just does not happen. 

Before Manish wrote his story I viewed Gase as a guy who is indifferent to his players and their well-being.  That doesn't tend to go over well in a sport where you get beat to hell every Sunday.  Could be confirmation bias, but I figured plenty of guys disliked him before it was ever reported.  

27 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

That is one point I can at least understand and is fair, but for me is also more of an indictment of the inexplicably dumber of the Johnson brothers that it really even came to that.  It's the main reason my hatred has become slightly less vehement than it was at the time of the hire, but I still look forward to the day the Jets may actually find a coach that has the ability to, you know... coach.  That's something that's seemed to stump this team far more often than not.

The next HC needs to 100 % be Joe Douglas's call.  Otherwise we'll just be spinning our wheels.

Douglas needs to essentially be the GM and VP of Operations.  Stay the f**k away, Johnson's.

If Douglas successfully turns around the roster like I think he's already doing, hopefully he'll gain that clout over time (if he hasn't earned it already).

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Cowherd makes the same point you just did...anything less than 8-8 and he's probably gone.  Still need to find another coach who could/wants to win here with this ownership group.

If Gase goes 7-9 or 8-8 with this roster and our schedule, firing him would be a monumental mistake.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mogglez said:

If Gase goes 7-9 or 8-8 with this roster and our schedule, firing him would be a monumental mistake.

It's silly how people speculate what W-L record will be necessary for Gase to keep his job or get fired.  No one has a clue on that.  There's no line in the sand. 

Especially since we don't know who would primarily make that call yet; the Johnson's or Douglas.  That makes a big difference on the expectation level.  The Johnson's would cater to fan opinion.  Douglas, who is only here really BECAUSE of Gase, would have different thoughts.  He knows this was never going to be a 1 year rebuild.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not saying that he should go...my go-no-go is the development of Darnold but our ownership may want to look elsewhere...I just hope they listen to Joe D in whichever way the turn.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Darnold looks like trash, Gase is toast. That’ll be the sole metric

I think that is more believable than a w/l record.

How the team competes in losses is quite important and is indicative of coaching.

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If the team is once again carried to such a record by a massively over-performing defense in place of an endlessly incompetent offense, Gase will in no way deserve to retain his job strictly because of the success of a DC that was already chosen for the team before Gase, when the team was trying to hire a different HC.  The excuses of that kind of performance will be complete meaningless.

If the inverse ended up being true, that would of course be a very different story.  Bottom line, the record itself doesn't tell much of anything.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, Bungaman said:

Good for Lewis. I'm no great fan of Gase, but this backstabbing stuff is uncalled for and unprofessional - which is how Mehta seems to prefer to operate when he can't think of anything else to write about.

Same here.  You don't have to be a fan of Gase to be sick and tired off all this backstabbing and anonymous source crap against the HC.

Gase may be a bad head coach....but he's OUR bad head coach!!!  And nobody talks behind his back.  They should just tell him he sucks to his face.

#FManish

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Players almost universally loved playing for Parcells and Buddy Ryan 

Let me ask you this though.  Were those guys built different?

Seriously though, it was a different era.  Those players didn't get coddled and didn't expect to be treated like they were the center of the universe.  You'll never hear of a coach today doing some of the things that Buddy did to his guys.  Didn't he used to make injured players push barrels full of sand from one end of the field to the other if they weren't able to practice?  Try that in 2020.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Let me ask you this though.  Were those guys built different?

Seriously though, it was a different era.  Those players didn't get coddled and didn't expect to be treated like they were the center of the universe.  You'll never hear of a coach today doing some of the things that Buddy did to his guys.  Didn't he used to make injured players push barrels full of sand from one end of the field to the other if they weren't able to practice?  Try that in 2020.

It’s a different era, but Nick Saban and Belichick are the meanest a-hole coaches alive and players rush to be in those programs. Players want structure and coherent, consistent application of reinforcement for their actions. Soft coaches get run over and soft coaches who aren’t innately tough get sniffed out and curb stomped. This has been true forever. Also true: the presence of entitled titty-baby players on any given roster who feel like they deserve special treatment and lose their minds when they can’t get it. These players are deeply insecure weaklings who were coddled from the time they were dominating Pee Wee football. This type of player isn’t commonplace, but they’re always loud so they received outsized coverage from the media. A team will tolerate this type of malcontent for as long as that player’s utility exceeds his mouth, but the nanosecond that ratio inverts, the team throws that guy out onto the street. How much noise can a guy who had 61 tackles and an INT make before he’s not worth keeping around? Football is on the verge of being shut down for at least a year and we’re here in late June with the head coach of the football team being asked to justify why his strong safety shouldn’t get a contract he isn’t owed for two more years. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

If the team is once again carried to such a record by a massively over-performing defense in place of an endlessly incompetent offense, Gase will in no way deserve to retain his job strictly because of the success of a DC that was already chosen for the team before Gase, when the team was trying to hire a different HC.  The excuses of that kind of performance will be complete meaningless.

If the inverse ended up being true, that would of course be a very different story.  Bottom line, the record itself doesn't tell much of anything.

In your scenario, I agree.  That being said, I think it's going to take a lot more than some Gregg Williams magic to hit 7-9 or 8-8.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a different era, but Nick Saban and Belichick are the meanest a-hole coaches alive and players rush to be in those programs. Players want structure and coherent, consistent application of reinforcement for their actions. Soft coaches get run over and soft coaches who aren’t innately tough get sniffed out and curb stomped. This has been true forever. Also true: the presence of entitled titty-baby players on any given roster who feel like they deserve special treatment and lose their minds when they can’t get it. These players are deeply insecure weaklings who were coddled from the time they were dominating Pee Wee football. This type of player isn’t commonplace, but they’re always loud so they received outsized coverage from the media. A team will tolerate this type of malcontent for as long as that player’s utility exceeds his mouth, but the nanosecond that ratio inverts, the team throws that guy out onto the street. How much noise can a guy who had 61 tackles and an INT make before he’s not worth keeping around? Football is on the verge of being shut down for at least a year and we’re here in late June with the head coach of the football team being asked to justify why his strong safety shouldn’t get a contract he isn’t owed for two more years. 

I think guys run to those coaches because they want to win and I think that's something that hurts Gase.  He's indifferent to the well being of his players.  I'm not just saying this because I don't like him, but he carries himself like a guy who has multiple rings despite having little to no success as a head coach.  I think that'll piss players off in a hurry.  A kind of "who are you to treat me like that" kind of vibe that doesn't exist when you're Bill Belichick because players know exactly who you are.

I hope I'm wrong and a few years from now you can say I was an idiot for being down on a head coach who won a SB with the Jets, but I just don't see it.  So for now you'll just have to say I'm an idiot for supporting Rex Ryan for as long as I did.

With this schedule, I'm not sure he could be fired if they go 7-9 and Darnold continues to develop. I never thought Gase was the guy who can get the Jets to where they need to get, but I did feel he could make Darnold the QB that can get the Jets to that level, thus making the HC job considerably more attractive for a HC who can come here and win it all.

That said, with Douglas here, his relationship with Gase is solid. If Gase is gone, the organization needs to seriously consider the current structure. I think any HC who follows Gase would have to report to Douglas, and not directly to ownership.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

With this schedule, I'm not sure he could be fired if they go 7-9 and Darnold continues to develop. I never thought Gase was the guy who can get the Jets to where they need to get, but I did feel he could make Darnold the QB that can get the Jets to that level, thus making the HC job considerably more attractive for a HC who can come here and win it all.

That said, with Douglas here, his relationship with Gase is solid. If Gase is gone, the organization needs to seriously consider the current structure. I think any HC who follows Gase would have to report to Douglas, and not directly to ownership.

Depends on how they get there.  If it's another bottom 10 finish for Gase's offense and Gregg Williams' defense carries them, I could see him getting the boot.

Just now, AFJF said:

Depends on how they get there.  If it's another bottom 10 finish for Gase's offense and Gregg Williams' defense carries them, I could see him getting the boot.

That's valid. If that were the case, do you go outside for the HC spot, or do you promote Williams? He is a stellar DC, but his time as the head cheese hasn't matched up.

If you go with him, he needs to bring in a top OC. If you go outside the organization, does the new HC have full control to hire his own DC? Or does he have to keep Williams?

Should the Jets get rid of Gase, they are in a no-win when it comes to DC. Either you are dumping a very good coordinator, or you are hamstringing your search by mandating a DC on the new hire.

9 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

That's valid. If that were the case, do you go outside for the HC spot, or do you promote Williams? He is a stellar DC, but his time as the head cheese hasn't matched up.

If you go with him, he needs to bring in a top OC. If you go outside the organization, does the new HC have full control to hire his own DC? Or does he have to keep Williams?

Should the Jets get rid of Gase, they are in a no-win when it comes to DC. Either you are dumping a very good coordinator, or you are hamstringing your search by mandating a DC on the new hire.

Tough to say because so many successful coaches fail in their first one or two gigs.  Williams led the Browns to a 5-3 finish after they'd won like 2  games in 3 years and then Cleveland let him go. 

My first choice would be David Shaw but he's not leaving the college ranks.  I'd want Bieniemy to be at the top of the list but Williams would definitely be in my top 3.

Just now, AFJF said:

Tough to say because so many successful coaches fail in their first one or two gigs.  Williams led the Browns to a 5-3 finish after they'd won like 2  games in 3 years and then Cleveland let him go. 

My first choice would be David Shaw but he's not leaving the college ranks.  I'd want Bieniemy to be at the top of the list but Williams would definitely be in my top 3.

I could see that list. I don't see Shaw jumping, and I'm not sure if he would necessarily succeed if he did. Bieniemy is going to be a hot name on the market. If he came aboard and had a solid DC like Williams, that would put the team in pretty good shape. But it would have to be after this year. My sense is Bieniemy would, and should, be toward the top of any vacancies after this season.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I guess I believe it because when we saw how little Gase cares about his guys my initial reaction was "Wow, if you're gonna' treat your players like that, they won't support you for long".

I know that treating these guys like dirt was something coaches like Buddy Ryan and Bill Parcells got away with, but in 2020 when these guys make the money they make and are so often treated with kid gloves, I don't see how Gase's act (along with his on-field results) will make him a guy players want to play for.

Some guys will speak out in support of, but let's be honest here.  How often does a guy rip the coach he's currently playing for?  

I will suggest that you have no idea on how Buddy Ryan coached. He was the ultimate players coach. To a fault.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Mehta is getting owned after Gase's presser.  Everyone
on the beat is tweeting what Vaccaro wrote because
the coward didn't show up:

Mike Vaccaro@MikeVacc · 1h

The most essential part of being a sports columnist is
being accountable. Rule #1: you rip someone, be available
to that person as soon as possible so they can refute and
rebut you if they so desire. Always. Sometimes it’s
uncomfortable. Tough. To do otherwise is pure cowardice.

@AFJF  @FidelioJet

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mehta being a coward doesn’t mean that he’s wrong.  I don’t always like what he says...

In this case there’s been ample proof from Gase’s past history to support his position.

As for other beat writers complaining about him, it reeks of jealously.  He’s clearly the most influential of them all and it drives them all crazy.

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Mehta being a coward doesn’t mean that he’s wrong.  I don’t always like what he says...

In this case there’s been ample proof from Gase’s past history to support his position.

As for other beat writers complaining about him, it reeks of jealously.  He’s clearly the most influential of them all and it drives them all crazy.

There's actually only a few guys out of the hundreds that he's coached that have had anything negative to say about him.  And they've all been divas. 

And Mansh*t is so out of touch with anything Jets nowadays that his only play is to make sh*t up and stir the pot.  He's a hack. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

There's actually only a few guys out of the hundreds that he's coached that have had anything negative to say about him.  And they've all been divas

And Mansh*t is so out of touch with anything Jets nowadays that his only play is to make sh*t up and stir the pot.  He's a hack. 

Not only that.  Gase has been justified in pushing back at them.

Jay Ajayi?  Malcontent, who was missing assignments, skipping meetings, not studying his playbook, complaining about his touches in wins, was underperforming compared to 2016, was toxic in the locker room, and wanted to be paid like a superstar.  He was eventually shipped off to Philly, where he had a decent second half of his season and blew out his back out a year later (durability was a huge concern with him going back to college).  Currently a free agent.  Best year of his career was under Adam Gase.

Jarvis Landry?  Severe malcontent who b*tched about his contract, wanted to get paid like a top 5 WR.  While he is a good player, Jarvis is strictly a slot wide receiver who is not worth that type of money.  He a signed a 5 year, 75.5 million dollar contract, 47 million guaranteed, which put him up there with Julio Jones and Antonio Brown at the time as the highest paid WRs.  No one is putting Landry on the level of Jones or Brown.  Absolutely no one.

• Upvote 2