Alex Lewis Responds to Manish Mehta via Instagram

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but why not ask Brian Flores why he dumped Drake? Apparently, Gase isn’t the only coach who found him to be problematic 

Honestly?  Because I don't care about Brian Flores and don't know Miami's situation well enough to know if he has control of the 53.  

Just now, AFJF said:

Honestly?  Because I don't care about Brian Flores and don't know Miami's situation well enough to know if he has control of the 53.  

Bottom line is that Drake was booted by a different coach and regime than Gase. Not sure why we blame Gase for the downfall of Kenyan Drake

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bottom line is that Drake was booted by a different coach and regime than Gase. Not sure why we blame Gase for the downfall of Kenyan Drake

I don't think Drake ever had a "downfall" per se.  He just lost reps to Frank Gore under Gase and then like so many of Gase's other players, played his best football under a different coach.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't think Drake ever had a "downfall" per se.  He just lost reps to Frank Gore under Gase and then like so many of Gase's other players, played his best football under a different coach.

Did he, though? In 2018, Drake scored 9 TDs for the Dolphins and averaged 4.6 ypc. With the Cardinals, it was 8 TDs and 5.2. The Cardinals just gave him a relatively measly 1 year, $8 mil deal. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did he, though? In 2018, Drake scored 9 TDs for the Dolphins and averaged 4.6 ypc. With the Cardinals, it was 8 TDs and 5.2. The Cardinals just gave him a relatively measly 1 year, $8 mil deal. 

If the numbers are that close we're splitting hairs.  Better runner with ARI and better receiver with Miami, which is ironic because that was Gase's biggest failure this year.  They needed all the help they cold get at receiver but Bell rarely saw targets out of the slot or boundary.

I've lost count of how many people say that Gase couldn't split Bell out wide because he needed him to block, but you and I both know Powell is one of the best blocking RB's in the NFL.  Zero reason why he couldn't have had Powell block with Bell in the slot to create some mismatches.  Especially with such a terrible O-line, it would've been ideal to have Bell work quick/short underneath routes against some linebackers.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If the numbers are that close we're splitting hairs.  Better runner with ARI and better receiver with Miami, which is ironic because that was Gase's biggest failure this year.  They needed all the help they cold get at receiver but Bell rarely saw targets out of the slot or boundary.

I've lost count of how many people say that Gase couldn't split Bell out wide because he needed him to block, but you and I both know Powell is one of the best blocking RB's in the NFL.  Zero reason why he couldn't have had Powell block with Bell in the slot to create some mismatches.  Especially with such a terrible O-line, it would've been ideal to have Bell work quick/short underneath routes against some linebackers.

It was definitely strange. He had two accomplished receiving backs in Bell and Montgomery and didn’t use them in that capacity at all. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He has been asked about injured players in the past who were out of action for several weeks and he simply shrugs and says he hasn't spoken to the guy.  These aren't players who got hurt two or three days earlier.  These are players who were injured and rehabbing for weeks.  Much of which happens in the trainers room.  

Having spent years in the  military, I'm trying to guess how quickly I'd have lost my position of I told my commander that I had a sick or inured subordinate whom I haven't spoken to for days, let alone weeks.

The guy doesn't even care enough to realize it would be a good idea to pretend to care and pop his head in and say "hey man, how we doin'?

Telling your boss who has a need-to-know the health of his troops is one thing...telling scum ball reporters is another.  Did he refuse to tell his GM or ownership?  You have a source for this assertion?  You're making reasons up to dislike Gase and it shows.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was definitely strange. He had two accomplished receiving backs in Bell and Montgomery and didn’t use them in that capacity at all. 

Which is fine if the offense is humming along, but when you're 32nd in the NFL and you continue to not use every resource at your disposal to get better, it raises flags regarding your competence.

The Cincy game is another example.  You lost to an 0-11 team with the worst run defense in the NFL in a unit that continually got exploited to the outside.  I don't think I saw Bell run to the outside at all in that game.

The defense I hear of that is that the Jets O-line was terrible too.  This is true, but if you have a terrible O-line and a terrible run defense, have those scrubs fight it out in the trenches and let your HOF caliber RB be the difference maker by sending him to the spots where their defense is at its worst.  We saw none of that.

A lot of people cite the strong finish as reason to believe in Gase but beating a couple rookie QB's, a third-string QB and Buffalo's "B" team doesn't do as much for me as it does for some folks.

• Upvote 1

Reading through the last few posts, im not sure why talking ABOUT and injured player is being lumped in with talking TO an injured player.

I could care less what Gase says to the media.  Its really not of any importance to what happens with the team or on the field.

But Gase not talking TO his injured players is unequivocally terrible leadership.  He doesn't need to spend as much time with injured players as he does with guys who are going to play on sunday, thats obvious. But to not check in on how guys are feeling or how their rehab is going is awful.  Imagine being a player who puts their body and health on the line every sunday and when they suddenly can't help the team, not due to effort but to an injury, the coach ignores them.  Are those guys really going to look at Gase as a leader and as someone they should respect?  No, they will look at him as a guy who just wants to get what he can out of his players for his own good and doesn't care how they are doing as people or how their bodies are healing.

For those defending Gase on this, imagine you got sick and had to miss work for an extended period - if your boss checked in with you and your family once a week for the time you were out would you be more or less likely to have a good attitude about your company (team in the Gase situation) then if the guy never called you once while you were out?

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Reading through the last few posts, im not sure why talking ABOUT and injured player is being lumped in with talking TO an injured player.

I could care less what Gase says to the media.  Its really not of any importance to what happens with the team or on the field.

But Gase not talking TO his injured players is unequivocally terrible leadership.  He doesn't need to spend as much time with injured players as he does with guys who are going to play on sunday, thats obvious. But to not check in on how guys are feeling or how their rehab is going is awful.  Imagine being a player who puts their body and health on the line every sunday and when they suddenly can't help the team, not due to effort but to an injury, the coach ignores them.  Are those guys really going to look at Gase as a leader and as someone they should respect?  No, they will look at him as a guy who just wants to get what he can out of his players for his own good and doesn't care how they are doing as people or how their bodies are healing.

For those defending Gase on this, imagine you got sick and had to miss work for an extended period - if your boss checked in with you and your family once a week for the time you were out would you be more or less likely to have a good attitude about your company (team in the Gase situation) then if the guy never called you once while you were out?

Exactly! I think too many people believe leadership is being loud, high profile or snubbing the media.  Leadership is being accountable and taking care of your people.  Two areas in which Adam Gase has been an abject failure.

Anyone defending Gase on this will continue to do what Gase does.  Make excuses and try to explain it away.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Which is fine if the offense is humming along, but when you're 32nd in the NFL and you continue to not use every resource at your disposal to get better, it raises flags regarding your competence.

The Cincy game is another example.  You lost to an 0-11 team with the worst run defense in the NFL in a unit that continually got exploited to the outside.  I don't think I saw Bell run to the outside at all in that game.

The defense I hear of that is that the Jets O-line was terrible too.  This is true, but if you have a terrible O-line and a terrible run defense, have those scrubs fight it out in the trenches and let your HOF caliber RB be the difference maker by sending him to the spots where their defense is at its worst.  We saw none of that.

A lot of people cite the strong finish as reason to believe in Gase but beating a couple rookie QB's, a third-string QB and Buffalo's "B" team doesn't do as much for me as it does for some folks.

I think the problem is that, at no point last season, did Leveon Bell look anything like a Hall of Fame RB. I’ll keep pointing out that he averaged a wee 4.0 ypc his last season in Pittsburgh running behind three Pro Bowl linemen. The Bengals loss was gross, but when Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins are taking turns flipping Chuma Edoga around like Orcas torturing a baby seal, it’s tough to overcome. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the problem is that, at no point last season, did Leveon Bell look anything like a Hall of Fame RB. I’ll keep pointing out that he averaged a wee 4.0 ypc his last season in Pittsburgh running behind three Pro Bowl linemen. The Bengals loss was gross, but when Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins are taking turns flipping Chuma Edoga around like Orcas torturing a baby seal, it’s tough to overcome. 

I saw enough 2-3 yard runs out of Bell where he had to make 4 guys miss to get there that I know he can still play.

As far as Edoga vs Cincy, he didn't play that week.  Those guys were tearing up the interior, where Gase kept running the ball.

Edited by AFJF

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I saw enough 2-3 yard runs out of Bell where he had to make 4 guys miss to get there that I know he can still play.

That’s what happens when you receive the handoff and stand in the backfield for three seconds before trying to advance the ball.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s what happens when you receive the handoff and stand in the backfield for three seconds before trying to advance the ball.

Exactly.  It was ugly.  But as I said with Cincy, why run up the gut to the strength of their defense and avoid the edges where they're at their worst?  I can't imagine any reason/excuse that would make me think "Oh, now I see why you never ran Bell against the part of their defense that was the primary reason for them being last in the NFL against the run".

It smacks of yet another Jets head coach who is so set in his ways that he'd rather keep failing with his game plan than adjust to something else.

I always remember a quote I heard from Bryan Cox and his time with Belichick and the Jets.  Basically said BB was the only coach he ever played for who would tear up the entire week's game plan at halftime and install something completely new.  Not just an adjustment, but brand new everything.  But the Jets get the guys who keep doing the same thing over and over again whether it's working or not.

Edited by AFJF

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Exactly.  It was ugly.  But as I said with Cincy, why run up the gut to the strength of their defense and avoid the edges where they're at their worst?  I can't imagine any reason/excuse that would make me think "Oh, now I see why you never ran Bell against the part of their defense that was the primary reason for them being last in the NFL against the run".

It smacks of yet another Jets head coach who is so set in his ways that he'd rather keep failing with his game plan than adjust to something else.

I always remember a quote I heard from Bryan Cox and his time with Belichick and the Jets.  Basically said BB was the only coach he ever played for who would tear up the entire week's game plan at halftime and install something completely new.  Not just an adjustment, but brand new everything.  But the Jets get the guys who keep doing the same thing over and over again whether it's working or not.

Leveon is simply too slow to exploit the corner. His game was never built on speed (ran a 4.6+ at the Combine), and he’s slower than that now. As bad as it was, it came down to the Bengals DL humiliating the Jets OL and Darnold having a seizure. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Should be noted that Miami dumped Drake for pennies a year after firing Gase. 

Beat me to it.  

Kenyan Drake honestly just seems like a guy who needed a kick in the a**, and got it when Flores and Grier shipped him out.

Leveon is simply too slow to exploit the corner. His game was never built on speed (ran a 4.6+ at the Combine), and he’s slower than that now. As bad as it was, it came down to the Bengals DL humiliating the Jets OL and Darnold having a seizure. 

Entirely possible the result would have been the same if the game plan was to run to the outside, but we'll never know because they didn't try.  What they did do was run at their two best players all day.  

At the end of the day, we're talking not only about losing to a team that won just 2 games all season, but getting the doors blown off by that 2-14 team.  

Hopefully I'm wrong and Gase is the next big thing.  But from what I've seen, he's a lot closer to being Kotite than he is to that.

Even with all of the additions and upgrades this offseason, a 5-11 record would not surprise me unless Gregg Williams' defense is a top 3 unit and they win some 13-10 type games.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Entirely possible the result would have been the same if the game plan was to run to the outside, but we'll never know because they didn't try.  What they did do was run at their two best players all day.  

At the end of the day, we're talking not only about losing to a team that won just 2 games all season, but getting the doors blown off by that 2-14 team.  

Hopefully I'm wrong and Gase is the next big thing.  But from what I've seen, he's a lot closer to being Kotite than he is to that.

Even with all of the additions and upgrades this offseason, a 5-11 record would not surprise me unless Gregg Williams' defense is a top 3 unit and they win some 13-10 type games.

I guess I’m not entirely sure of the complaint here. You wanted Gase to run Leveon Bell to the outside? Bell is functionally incapable of doing that, and his backup is Bilal Powell. The story of that game was Carlos Dunlap’s three sacks and 20 tackles for loss. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I guess I’m not entirely sure of the complaint here. You wanted Gase to run Leveon Bell to the outside? Bell is functionally incapable of doing that, and his backup is Bilal Powell. The story of that game was Carlos Dunlap’s three sacks and 20 tackles for loss. 

We averaged more YPC on outside runs than inside on the season.

And the point remains. If you don’t try and exploit a league worst weakness then you simply don’t know.

Gase is trash. The New England game was 10x worse. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My complaint is that it was the weakest part of the NFL's worst run defense and there was never even an effort to test it while an 0-11 team is curb stomping you.  Perhaps when that 0-11 team is en route to their 20 TFL's, you try something else? It certainly couldn't have been any worse.  But alas, Gase had a game plan and no matter the results on the field, there would be no exploration of alternative options.

Serious question; What is it about Gase that makes you think he's not a bottom 5 head coach?  What would you count as his 3 most impressive achievements in his time as a head coach?

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Serious question; What is it about Gase that makes you think he's not a bottom 5 head coach?  What would you count as his 3 most impressive achievements in his time as a head coach?

I don’t think he’s a great head coach. I think he’s a mediocre head coach. But, I don’t find most of the arguments Jets fans make against him to be compelling. We all agree that Maccagnan was a catastrophic GM who built a bottom-three roster in football, but Gase should have 1. Won more than 7 games with it in his first season and/or 2. Beat teams that were better than the ones on the Jets schedule(?) and also Mike McCarthy is a great coach who could have helped Maccagnan not suck and, P.S., Manish railroaded McCarthy’s chances at getting the job in the first place but now Manish hates Gase, so we should have hired McCarthy,(?) and Gase didn’t want LeVeon because you don’t give that much in guarantees to a 28 year old back and then he goes out and sucks behind a line that sucks and Gase should have run more outside zone with a bunch of players who run like refrigerators? There are plenty of reasons to dislike Gase, but blaming him for all the Jets problems 15 months after hiring him is a little rich, especially among people who let Rex run roughshod over the organization for six years. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think he’s a great head coach. I think he’s a mediocre head coach. But, I don’t find most of the arguments Jets fans make against him to be compelling. We all agree that Maccagnan was a catastrophic GM who built a bottom-three roster in football, but Gase should have 1. Won more than 7 games with it and/or 2. Beat better teams that were better than the ones on the Jets schedule(?) and also Mike McCarthy is a great coach who could have helped Maccagnan not suck and, P.S., Manish railroaded McCarthy’s chances at getting the job in the first place but now Manish hates Gase, so we should have hired McCarthy, and Gase didn’t want LeVeon because you don’t give that much in guarantees to a 28 year old back and then he goes out and sucks behind a line that sucks and Gase should have run more outside zone with a bunch of players who run like refrigerators? There are plenty of reasons to dislike Gase, but blaming him for all the Jets problems 15 months after hiring him is a little rich, especially among people who let Rex run roughshod over the organization for six years. 

So you're alright with sticking with a guy who you yourself believe is mediocre?

My issue with Gase this year was never the wins and losses.  My issue was the incompetence and how it all went down.  Coached scared, didn't play to guy's strengths and was quick to deflect blame.

I didn't want Gase or McCarthy and I still don't think Manish has as much power over the team's decisions as some seem to believe.

I'm not going to rehash Rex, but even he never had the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL, and that was with Darrin Walls and college S/LB Antonio Allen as his CB1 and CB2.

Edited by AFJF

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So you're alright with sticking with a guy who you yourself believe is mediocre?

My issue with Gase this year was never the wins and losses.  My issue was the incompetence and how it all went down.  Coached scared, didn't play to guy's strengths and was quick to deflect blame.

I didn't want Gase or McCarthy and I still don't think Manish has as much power over the team's decisions as some seem to believe.

I'm not going to rehash Rex, but even he never had the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL, and that was with Darrin Walls and college S/LB Antonio Allen as his CB1 and CB2.

I’m saying that your time to dispute the hiring of Gase was before he was hired. Much of what’s transpired since his hiring has been a net positive. He went 7-9, he’s improved the talent of the front office and the talent on the roster. He’s moved the team forward at a much faster pace than anyone could have anticipated. He’s clearing dead wood, including Adams, and  he’s replacing it with high character players who want to be here. There is no sign of mutiny or rebellion. Not one Jets player has said a bad word about him. Not one anonymously sourced coach or scout has had a complaint about him. In the big picture, he’s doing the yeoman work that leads to sustainable success. All of that is worth a lot more than tripping over a sh*tty game plan against the Bengals in November. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I’m saying that your time to dispute the hiring of Gase was before he was hired. Much of what’s transpired since his hiring has been a net positive. He went 7-9, he’s improved the talent of the front office and the talent on the roster. He’s moved the team forward at a much faster pace than anyone could have anticipated. He’s clearing dead wood, including Adams, and  he’s replacing it with high character players who want to be here. There is no sign of mutiny or rebellion. Not one Jets player has said a bad word about him. Not one anonymously sourced coach or scout has had a complaint about him. In the big picture, he’s doing the yeoman work that leads to sustainable success. All of that is worth a lot more than tripping over a sh*tty game plan against the Bengals in November. 

We should erect a statue of Gase for ridding of us Mac, anything else is gravy frankly

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eh, I'm putting player moves on Douglas as opposed to Gase.  As far as player rebellions, that's just not something that happens in the NFL.  The other day a former Jets spoke to Jamal and came away saying Gase is a guy who doesn't care.  That's about as close as you'll get to a guy publicly criticizing his coach.  But if you like Gase, you say Cromartie, who Adams is clearly using as a moth piece, has no credibility because he hates condoms.

This isn't just about the Bengals game.  They weren't last in the NFL on offense because of one week.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Eh, I'm putting player moves on Douglas as opposed to Gase.  As far as player rebellions, that's just not something that happens in the NFL.  The other day a former Jets spoke to Jamal and came away saying Gase is a guy who doesn't care.  That's about as close as you'll get to a guy publicly criticizing his coach.  But if you like Gase, you say Cromartie, who Adams is clearly using as a moth piece, has no credibility because he hates condoms.

This isn't just about the Bengals game.  They weren't last in the NFL on offense because of one week.

Yeah, Antoine Cromartie the guy that you want to hitch your wagon to because of his virtue. The guy that evicted his own mother from his house. 

Again, consider sources. And hearsay is a terrible source from anyone. From that guy though, well conside whom you go to bed with Literally

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yeah, Antoine Cromartie the guy that you want to hitch your wagon to because of his virtue. The guy that evicted his own mother from his house. 

Again, consider sources. And hearsay is a terrible source from anyone. From that guy though, well conside whom you go to bed with Literally

So I can listen to a former Jets player who is being used as a mouth piece by a self-centred narcissist who is at the center of what's going on, or I can listen to the self-centered narcissist with no access to anyone involved in the situation on a message board.  Tough call.

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, I think if Gase was as bad as the fans think, we’d have a lot more evidence than sh*tbag Antonio Cromartie inferring that fellow sh*tbag Jamal Adams thinks Gase “doesn’t care.” The team could have rolled over and gotten Gase fired pretty easily last season and they actually played harder and more cohesively as the season went on. That Ravens game was the most fun I’ve had watching a Jets team compete in about ten years. The evidence just isn’t there to support the narrative that Gase is poison in the locker room

Just now, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I think if Gase was as bad as the fans think, we’d have a lot more evidence than sh*tbag Antonio Cromartie inferring that fellow sh*tbag Jamal Adams thinks Gase “doesn’t care.” The team could have rolled over and gotten Gase fired pretty easily last season and they actually played harder and more cohesively as the season went on. That Ravens game was the most fun I’ve had watching a Jets team compete in about ten years. The evidence just isn’t there to support the narrative that Gase is poison in the locker room

If we want to ignore Cromartie and the Dolphins players who were critical of him after he was fired and the players who were upset about him lying to the media about conversations he had with them then we're left with his record as a coach, which is also bad.

Hoping at this point that JD is good enough to gather enough talent to overcome Gase a la Barry Switzer in Dallas or that CJ gives him the boot and brings in Bieniemy or Todd Monken if they can't pry Shaw away from Stanford.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If we want to ignore Cromartie and the Dolphins players who were critical of him after he was fired and the players who were upset about him lying to the media about conversations he had with them then we're left with his record as a coach, which is also bad.

Like, which Dolphins players?