Sports you played growing up...

I wrestled from a young age through high school into my 20’s, powerlifted in high school and a few tournaments after, shot put and discus in HS, American football one year in high school, rugby from 16 to 40 and messed around with mma in my 20/30s. 
Wrestling was the hardest and rugby was the most fun. 

Basketball and track & field. I also played 1 year of volleyball in HS. True story, our new coach at the time was a football guy who new nothing about volleyball and recruited the basketball team to play. We made the playoffs that year after being almost winless the year before.

I was also badass at cheese rolling. Just kidding. 

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I wrestled from a young age through high school into my 20’s, powerlifted in high school and a few tournaments after, American football one year in high school, rugby from 16 to 40 and messed around with mma in my 20/30s. 

Wrestling has got to be the most physically draining sport in my opinion. Loved wrestling. One on one combat but for the team. Lots of comeradarie, team is like family

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

My stories got nothing on Teh Falcon.

Is he the guy @T0mShane and @Jetsfan80 we’re referring to when Tom made the remark this week about whether someone played professional sports?

I didn’t know what they were talking about but Tom said it was something from an old classic thread...

30 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Serious question. Not looking to argue, I’m just curious.

You don’t think you’re over reacting to something that shouldn’t really bother you so much?

If people who aren’t even involved notice you doing it, that doesn’t tell you anything?

I think it's a generational thing. You old people are taking things personally that aren't personal.

If you happen to be downvoted for created off topic spamming threads multiple times, that doesn’t tell you anything? 90% of your posts have nothing to do with the Jets or the NFL.

• Thumb Down 1

Was never much into organized team sports as a kid.  Getting together with a bunch of friends, choosing up sides and playing baseball, hoops, street hockey was always more fun to me.  Played tennis through high school. 

Started running for fitness when I was in college.  Tried training for a couple of marathons, but each time I tried, I got injured.  Figured I just wasn't cut our for marathons, so I switched to triathlon.  Did quite a few in my 20s/30s.  Now, in my 50s, too many years of poinding the pavement as a runner have taken their toll and I had to give it up. 

Switched to cycling a few years ago, which was great until crash #1 resulted in 4 broken ribs.  Then crash #2 and a concussion.  I still ride, but not the way I used too.  Unless I am on the trainer in the basement, that is where I get my real workouts in.

18 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Is he the guy @T0mShane and @Jetsfan80 we’re referring to when Tom made the remark this week about whether someone played professional sports?

I didn’t know what they were talking about but Tom said it was something from an old classic thread...

Probably, yeah. It was before my time as a regular poster, but I was able to go back and re-read it.

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

Was never much into organized team sports as a kid.  Getting together with a bunch of friends, choosing up sides and playing baseball, hoops, street hockey was always more fun to me.  Played tennis through high school. 

Started running for fitness when I was in college.  Tried training for a couple of marathons, but each time I tried, I got injured.  Figured I just wasn't cut our for marathons, so I switched to triathlon.  Did quite a few in my 20s/30s.  Now, in my 50s, too many years of poinding the pavement as a runner have taken their toll and I had to give it up. 

Switched to cycling a few years ago, which was great until crash #1 resulted in 4 broken ribs.  Then crash #2 and a concussion.  I still ride, but not the way I used too.  Unless I am on the trainer in the basement, that is where I get my real workouts in.

I’m thinking of setting up a spare bedroom into a sort of workout room, since actually “going” to the gym has become something I only say I’ll start doing, but never do.

Sounds like we’re about the same age... I’m in decent shape for our age, still weigh about 175-180, but would like to tone up and then maintain that, not looking for bulk.

What type of trainer do you use in your home?

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is me now cycling.  I never liked running, oh loved running in any organized sport but never liked jogging or distance running but I do like cycling.  Only problem for me is that up here I only cycle 1/2 the year and the other half I now get fat and lazy as I no longer do much for winter sports.  I need to change that this winter.  I will probably buy a new set of cross country skis.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

This isn’t about making varsity, Matt. Once a person is older than 22, who cares?   ?

Were or are there any sports you enjoy playing?

If there weren’t, no big deal either. You probably grew up to be the guy who hired and fired a lot of the people who wore letter jackets in high school, lol.

29 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I’m thinking of setting up a spare bedroom into a sort of workout room, since actually “going” to the gym has become something I only say I’ll start doing, but never do.

Sounds like we’re about the same age... I’m in decent shape for our age, but would like to tone up and then maintain that, not looking for bulk.

Magnus Cycleops smart trainer.  With the Rouvy app.  Mount the bike on the trainer, download an app and it basically converts your bike to a Peloton, but at less than half the price.  We also have an elliptical in the house, but I don't use it much since I get my cardio on the bike.

I used to workout at a gym in my office building, but the office has been closed since March.  Even though gyms have re-opened in Illinois, our office is closed until Labor Day, so no gym access.  Not that it matters that much, because if I am looking for a cardio workout, I would rather just go down to thr basement and hop on the bike.  Will be doing a virtual ride in the Austrian Alps later this afternoon.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is me now cycling.  I never liked running, oh loved running in any organized sport but never liked jogging or distance running but I do like cycling.  Only problem for me is that up here I only cycle 1/2 the year and the other half I now get fat and lazy as I no longer do much for winter sports.  I need to change that this winter.  I will probably buy a new set of cross country skis.

That is why I first got the trainer.  After I broke my ribs in late summer, I probably put on 20 pounds in the two to three months while I was recovering.  By the time I was healthy enough to ride, it was November.  Picked up the trainer to get back into shape during the winter months and now I use it even in good weather to get a better workout. 

I still enjoy riding outside more, but indoors on the trainer is the better workout.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Magnus Cycleops smat trainer.  With the Rouvy app.  Mount the bike on the trainer, download an app and it basically converts your bike to a Peloton, but at less than half the price.  We also have an elliptical in the house, but I don't use it much since I get my cardio on the bike.

I used to workout at a gym in my office building, but the office has been closed since March.  Even though gyms have re-opened in Illinois, our office is closed until Labor Day, so no gym access.  Not that it matters that much, because if I am looking for a cardio workout, I would rather just go down to thr basement and hop on the bike.  Will be doing a virtual ride in the Austrian Alps later this afternoon.

Thanks, for the tip. I’m definitely going to look into that for when I get back to SC in 2 or 3 weeks. It sounds great, especially the price point. It gets way too hot in the summer for anything other than riding in a golf cart ? during the summer.

Just an aside, do you do any light weight trading at home, or just concentrate on the cardio?

14 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

This isn’t about making varsity, Matt. Once a person is older than 22, who cares?   ?

Were or are there any sports you enjoy playing?

If there weren’t, no big deal either. You probably grew up to be the guy who hired and fired a lot of the people who wore letter jackets in high school, lol.

Ha, its a Sopranos quote. I played football, basketball and baseball. Tried lacrosse and hated it. Still play hoops every so often. Retired from flag football a few years ago.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Thanks, for the tip. I’m definitely going to look into that for when I get back to SC in 2 or 3 weeks. It sounds great, especially the price point.

Just an aside, do you do any light weight trading at home, or just concentrate on the cardio?

No.  I don't do any weight training at home.  That is what I used the gym at work for.  As long as I am doing the cardio and keeping the weight off, I really don't care about the weight training.  I will get back to it someday, but what I am doing is working for now.

• Upvote 1

Organized. I played football from the time I was old enough (5 or 6) through four years of mediocre DIII OL play. I also played baseball, wrestled, and played golf. I went on to coach football at the youth, high school, and prep levels, line on both sides and one year calling the defense in HS.

I played a ton of hockey, both street and pond, but never played it in an organized form. Now I'm doing some youth coaching for my son who is 8 and playing hockey.

• Upvote 1

Been discussed elsewhere, but I played:

-Baseball, youth, spring & fall leagues, HS and College.  Was my sport.  Pitcher/1B/RF.

-Football (DE thru age 12 only, then scout team WR/TE/FB my Senior Year in HS only.  Was asked to play TE in college, declined).

-Basketball (Podunk Town League stuff, and pickup games almost every day in HS).

Never played Lacrosse, Ice Hockey, Tennis, Track, Soccer, etc.  Funny, since my Dad was a semi-pro soccer player in Scotland.

Golf too, albeit not for school.

I played baseball all my life and would still be playing competitive softball if there weren’t a global pandemic. Played football throughout high school. Played basketball until 8th grade then got cut because I wasn’t all that good at it. Switched to volleyball and ended up with a few school records and some club play in college. 

I don’t golf because I refuse to pay for things I’m bad at. I’ve been running for about 7 or 8 years now and have done 3 full marathons and 25 half marathons. Would like to do a half or full in every state. Think I’m at a dozen or so states and had plans to knock 3 or 4 more off this year, but everything is canceled. Would probably get into triathlons but I’m not a strong swimmer (can do just enough not to drown). 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Ha, its a Sopranos quote. I played football, basketball and baseball. Tried lacrosse and hated it. Still play hoops every so often. Retired from flag football a few years ago.

Ahh, so that noise I heard was only your joke going over my head... good to know! ?

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

No.  I don't do any weight training at home.  That is what I used the gym at work for.  As long as I am doing the cardio and keeping the weight off, I really don't care about the weight training.  I will get back to it someday, but what I am doing is working for now.

So I just quickly googled that machine, it looks like you have to mount your own bike on it, or am I just not looking at the entire set up?

1 minute ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

So I just quickly googled that machine, it looks like you have to mount your own bike on it, or am I just not looking at the entire set up?

You are looking at it right.  You mount your own bike on it. 

• Upvote 1

Soccer was my first organized sport as a little kid, but that only lasted a few years. I moved onto wrestling and then  baseball. In my teens through my mid 30's I really enjoyed playing hoops - I was an average defender, but could shoot the 3 and had a decent mid-range game. Nowadays I just love exercising: I'm an avid runner (5K, 15K, 13.1, and 26.2) and mix in some anaerobic exercise 3 times a week to keep in excellent shape.

2 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

You’re into grappling, aren’t you?

I’d be interested to hear you talk about it here. I have nothing but respect for the dedication and toughness it takes to both study, and compete in a discipline like that.

Boxing, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but the last 4-5 years have been exclusively BJJ. I have recently reached a point in age where I have had martial arts in my life for more years than I have not and it’s weird. When I was younger I was obsessed and training completely defined me. Thought about it all the time, even during classes in college and grad school. As I have gotten older and 40 is now in sight, it’s just what I do in my spare time and some how that mentality made me a better practitioner. Jiu jitsu is an incredibly humbling and endless ego crushing grind and one day you walk in and have your own little flare on things and it’s just cool.

Finding my own game in jiu jitsu has been one of the most rewarding things in my life, right up with my career and family, but missing a day or two of training doesn’t haunt me anymore like it used to. 

Don’t get me wrong either, I train at a high level gym (not bragging, it’s just that SoCal is the BJJ Mecca) with guys many have probably heard of and they smash the **** out of me regularly. But every now and then I can manage a counter or mount an attack and it reminds me of the progress I have made over the years and it’s pretty damn cool.

• Post of the Week 1

I always mean to ask you if you’re the guy I met wearing the Jets tee shirt in the Myrtle Beach Bi-Lo... 

if you are, we got into a nice discussion about the Jets andJetNation, and when I told you the name I posted under, I mistakenly gave you the one I use on golf message boards. That’s the kind of thing old people do because... well they’re old, and forget stuff. ?

Nope, wasn’t me.  I’ve only been to Myrtle once and didn’t run into any Jets fans.  On the bright side, if it had been me I would’ve forgotten if I didn’t write it down as I too am an old guy.

• Haha 1

Baseball ruled our world as kids. Grew up on LI in a brand new neighborhood after Robert Moses built the highways to escape the buroughs to suburbia, That meant that there were so many households with babies seeking the American dream in booming economic times that we had so many kids in the neighborhood there was more than enough for a full hardball team, and played a full team from the other side of the park regularly (we actually kept stats). If not that, then half field with pitching or even fungo HR derby. Then when out of the park, it was stickball, first in the street and then later back to the park when we got too big for the street. Then when it was down to just a couple of you, we had a board with a strike zone with tennis balls (you could snap off wicked curves with those). Then when you were alone it was bouncing a ball off a wall with a glove. Then at night it was real Mets, Strat-o-Matic or APBA.

Touch football was occasinally played but not with any true enthusiasm. Jets, however were followed in great detail.

This continued until it just got too cold or it snowed, Most went off to play basketball in the park but I played hockey instead. I think that a big factor there was that the rink in the park was frequented by the local girls, also in the same abundance as the boys/baseball players. Actually played one year in college where, playing center I tied several records that still stand to this day (least amount of goals, least amount of assists, least amount of points). Got real good at drinking the free gatorade while sitting on the end of the bench though. Baseball stopped when I got hurt during junior year tryouts and realized that my time was better spent in other pursuits (OK, OK lifelong obsession)

Funny thing is that every spring, when the weather turns a certain way, that old urge to play ball comes back after all these years and I miss the heck out of it. Unfortunately, I bet my arm would fall off if I tried to throw a ball today :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Boxing, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but the last 4-5 years have been exclusively BJJ. I have recently reached a point in age where I have had martial arts in my life for more years than I have not and it’s weird. When I was younger I was obsessed and training completely defined me. Thought about it all the time, even during classes in college and grad school. As I have gotten older and 40 is now in sight, it’s just what I do in my spare time and some how that mentality made me a better practitioner. Jiu jitsu is an incredibly humbling and endless ego crushing grind and one day you walk in and have your own little flare on things and it’s just cool.

Finding my own game in jiu jitsu has been one of the most rewarding things in my life, right up with my career and family, but missing a day or two of training doesn’t haunt me anymore like it used to. 

Don’t get me wrong either, I train at a high level gym (not bragging, it’s just that SoCal is the BJJ Mecca) with guys many have probably heard of and they smash the **** out of me regularly. But every now and then I can manage a counter or mount an attack and it reminds me of the progress I have made over the years and it’s pretty damn cool.

I called it a discipline earlier out of respect, not knowing if that’s a term you would use.

You mentioned boxing, which I loved when I was younger. Like you, I loved the training, but what I realized after a while was I also loved the, (and I’m searching for a word here) serenity? It gave me. I went from a pretty wild kid, to a more humble, calm, yet self assured one.

Team sports are great, but individual sports are what I love. There’s nowhere to hide, and you get to decide to push yourself as hard as you choose.

Thank goodness, because now that I’m older, individual sports seem like the only option. Golf is a completely different game, I’m not even sure if it’s a skill or a sport. It’s one I never thought I’d enjoy the way I do, but I’m so grateful I found it. It challenges me, and fills the need for competition that I still have..

20 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I called it a discipline earlier out of respect, not knowing if that’s a term you would use.

You mentioned boxing, which I loved when I was younger. Like you, I loved the training, but what I realized after a while was I also loved the, (and I’m searching for a word here) serenity? It gave me. I went from a pretty wild kid, to a more humble, calm, yet self assured one.

Team sports are great, but individual sports are what I love. There’s nowhere to hide, and you get to decide to push yourself as hard as you choose.

Thank goodness, because now that I’m older, individual sports seem like the only option. Golf is a completely different game, I’m not even sure if it’s a skill or a sport. It’s one I never thought I’d enjoy the way I do, but I’m so grateful I found it. It challenges me, and fills the need for competition that I still have..

I would still be boxing if it wasn't for the head injuries. I hit a point in my 30s where I decided the head injuries weren’t worth it and I haven’t fought since. I’m thankful that I am capable as a striker in a self-defense situation but things like boxing and muay thai can really take a toll on quality of life that grappling doesn’t and I think that’s why I steered that way as time went on. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared about how my head will be in my 60s and 70s.

And the funny thing is I think that once you reach a certain level, grappling is way more effective and safer for self defense anyways. Someone can always land a lucky punch, but if I clinch someone that isn’t trained they are 100% ****ed. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Huge respect for anyone who can even THINK about a triathalon. I've never been able to even watch a whole one on TV

Gotta rate this a WOW !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I wrestled from a young age through high school into my 20’s, powerlifted in high school and a few tournaments after, shot put and discus in HS, American football one year in high school, rugby from 16 to 40 and messed around with mma in my 20/30s. 

Jeez, reading this reminded me that I posted a while back saying that you and @Jet_Engine1 were two of the guys I’d most like to hang with in a bar.

You both were down for it, so if we ever do, I’m sitting right in between you two mongos. ?

• Haha 1

Sounds like we’re about the same age... I’m in decent shape for our age, still weigh about 175-180, but would like to tone up and then maintain that, not looking for bulk.

Kickr core and climb along with zwift here.

• Sympathy 1