Sports you played growing up...

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

As for organized sports I only played baseball and football from as young as I could up through HS. Tried out for the baseball team in college as a walk on and realized day 1 I had no business being there - lol. We played every sport under the son in the neighborhood.

My greatest sporting accomplishment though, was the game of "slam ball" that we created and played in the neighborhood. Basically it was two teams playing on a field like a soccer field (smaller) with the goals being flower pots and the ball being a tennis ball. It was full contact and I don't fully recall but I'm sure there was some sort of mechanism where you couldn't take too many steps (you had to dribble or pass the ball). You could play with or without a goalie (team strategical decision).

Speaking of great sports accomplishments my friends and I talk to this day about something I did in gym during sophomore year of HS. 

So we were playing volleyball a sport most don’t play and I was on a team with one of my friends and one of our opponents was definitely the best athlete in our school. Star in baseball, football and basketball. I’m playing close to the net and he gets set up for a huge spike. Suddenly new found athletic ability overcame me and I jumped higher than ever before. I reached my hand up and stuffed this kid at the net forcing to fall on their side scoring us a point. I proceeded to celebrate by running into the locker room with my finger in the air like Broadway Joe after Super Bowl 3. People were going insane and it still makes us laugh. 
image.jpeg.5e06b20fc06cac525812b377ee7d9613.jpeg

• Haha 2

Basketball, mostly.  High school and one year of college ball.  Also played soccer and ultimate frisbee in high school.  Boxed too as a young man.  None of my schools offered football, or I probably would have been dumb enough to try it.  Now, racquet sports exclusively.  And sailboat racing, if that's a sport.

I am still waiting to see if any of you list this one:

Wife and I are having a picnic for dinner in Wall, SD. We sit in a park overlooking a corral of sorts. Bunch of kids doing all sorts of things with horses and calfs (no you dirty minded person, you should be ashamed of yourself, of course not THAT)

Young girl comes over to us and ask if we are scouts.

"For what?", we ask.

"Well rodeo of course"

"Huh?"

"Well why else are you watching the high school rodeo team practice?"

Different strokes, huh?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Basketball, mostly.  High school and one year of college ball.  Also played soccer and ultimate frisbee in high school.  Boxed too as a young man.  None of my schools offered football, or I probably would have been dumb enough to try it.  Now, racquet sports exclusively.  And sailboat racing, if that's a sport.

Sailboat racing sounds pretty cool, and with the tacking, it must actually be a real workout.

Are you talking the big boats with full crews like with the America Cup, or smaller vessels?

41 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Wife and I are having a picnic for dinner in Wall, SD. We sit in a park overlooking a corral of sorts. Bunch of kids doing all sorts of things with horses and calfs (no you dirty minded person, you should be ashamed of yourself, of course not THAT)

"For what?", we ask.

"Well rodeo of course"

"Huh?"

Different strokes, huh?

Funny post, and a great story... ?

48 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

"For what?", we ask.

"Well rodeo of course"

"Huh?"

Different strokes, huh?

Roll ahead and now kids want scholarships for gaming......

• Haha 2

I played little league baseball. Won Punt,Pass & Kick twice and got 2nd in the Zone competition at age 9,10. Mostly because I could kick well with my “Sunday” shoe on! In Junior high I played 3rd string quarterback but was regularly flattened by farm kids as I was a skinny David Bowie-like child. Did much better in basketball. Actually made the Iowa All-Star team in 8th grade at Maury John’s basketball camp. He was the coach of Drake Bulldogs at that time. Then I discovered the electric guitar and I fell out of sports. As an adult I love running. Still a big sports fan. Jets, specifically! 

59 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Sailboat racing sounds pretty cool, and with the tacking, it must actually be a real workout.

Are you talking the big boats with full crews like with the America Cup, or smaller vessels?

Not as big as the America's Cup boats but 40 foot plus, crew of six to ten.  Great fun.  A lot of coordination and a good amount of physical exertion.  Not by me that much though, I mostly drive these days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Does high school band count????

True story. I’m in a Steelers bar in Myrtle Beach to watch the Steeler-Cardinals Super Bowl. I meet a gorgeous woman who then goes to sit at a table with about ten people. She gets up after a while and comes over to my table asking for an extra chair, she sits to talk a minute, and gives me her number after the owner buys us both a drink. Then her friend comes over.

The friend has on a black and red scarf, so, just trying to be nice, I compliment her on it.

She tells me “it’s a USC scarf, my son plays for the Gamecocks.”

I reply “That’s so cool, what sport does he play?

Her: “He’s in the band. He plays the tuba”

I bust out laughing, thinking she made one of the funniest jokes I’ve ever heard. She gets furious, and calls me all kinds of names, and storms off, leaving me alone with the gorgeous friend, who now turns to me and says

“I really thought you were a nice guy, but I can’t date someone who makes fun of other people’s kids. Lose my number. Don’t ever call me.”

It’s a jungle out there.... ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

True story. I’m in a Steelers bar in Myrtle Beach to watch the Steeler-Cardinals Super Bowl. I meet a gorgeous woman who then goes to sit at a table with about ten people. She gets up after a while and comes over to my table asking for an extra chair, she sits to talk a minute, and gives me her number after the owner buys us both a drink. Then her friend comes over.

The friend has on a black and red scarf, so, just trying to be nice, I compliment her on it.

She tells me “it’s a USC scarf, my son plays for the Gamecocks.”

I reply “That’s so cool, what sport does he play?

Her: “He’s in the band. He plays the tuba”

I bust out laughing, thinking she made one of the funniest jokes I’ve ever heard. She gets furious, and calls me all kinds of names, and storms off, leaving me alone with the gorgeous friend, who now turns to me and says

“I really thought you were a nice guy, but I can’t date someone who makes fun of other people’s kids. Lose my number. Don’t ever call me.”

It’s a jungle out there.... ?

I believe that.  I am VERY involved in Carolina Crown, a drum corp here in Charlotte and it is a business of passion.  

3 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

I played little league baseball. Won Punt,Pass & Kick twice and got 2nd in the Zone competition at age 9,10. Mostly because I could kick well with my “Sunday” shoe on! In Junior high I played 3rd string quarterback but was regularly flattened by farm kids as I was a skinny David Bowie-like child. Did much better in basketball. Actually made the Iowa All-Star team in 8th grade at Maury John’s basketball camp. He was the coach of Drake Bulldogs at that time. Then I discovered the electric guitar was an easier way to impress the opposite sex and I fell out of sports. Used to play pick up BB in college and the players wanted me to try out but I knew I was too slow and too short. As an adult I love running. Still a big sports fan. Jets, specifically! 

now what sort of person gives up sports for electric guitars ... uh ..oh wait .. nevermind 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

gotta be heavy rolling that stand up bass around :)

I do all their accounting and tax work pro bono.  The budget is 2 million plus. Getting 110 18 year olds around the country is a pretty daunting task. These kids are the cream dela crem of music.  The average college band player could not pass the audition.

NOted for their fantastic brass ensemble....   here is a parking lot warm up.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I do all their accounting and tax work pro bono.  The budget is 2 million plus. Getting 110 18 year olds around the country is a pretty daunting task. These kids are the cream dela crem of music.  The average college band player could not pass the audition.

NOted for their fantastic brass ensemble....   here is a parking lot warm up.

$2MM's, WOW!

Ever go up against the Long Island Sunrisers? They compete in the DCA. Won a bunch of titles in the 70's and 80's. 

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

$2MM's, WOW!

Ever go up against the Long Island Sunrisers? They compete in the DCA. Won a bunch of titles in the 70's and 80's. 

ALL DUE Respect, yes. The sunrisers are not in the same league as DCI tier 1. The sunrisers asked me to march with them in the early 80's but I declined as I was leavening to go away to college, Sunrisers are NOT, all due respect, in the same league as DCI drum corps but they were a well run , highly disciplined organization that I would have been honored to join.

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

ALL DUE Respect, yes. The sunrisers are not in the same league as DCI tier 1. The sunrisers asked me to march with them in the early 80's but I declined as I was leavening to go away to college, Sunrisers are NOT, all due respect, in the same league as DCI drum corps but they were a well run , highly disciplined organization that I would have been honored to join.

We used to annoy them

They practiced on the field between the skating rink and golf course in Cantiaque. On certain weekday summer nights they would have bands in front of the rink. So you set up while they practiced (hard every night). Once plugged in you can jam along once you got the key. I remember some guy waving at us to stop looking very agitated. Only got to do that a couple of times. Good memory. 

DCI tier 1 must be amazing because these guys were pretty good. Color me impressed. 

Played pretty much everything as a kid. Soccer, Baseball (Pitcher/Shortstop), Basketball, Swim Team, and HS Football, Track 440/880 and Shot put. Also was a Scuba Diver, if that counts a "sport".

When I graduated from HS, I was 5"11 170lbs. Joined the Army.

In the Army, Boxed and played Rugby for my Battalion, stuck with Rugby until I got hired by the FD. 

By the time I got out of the Army, I was 6'2 215.  

Post service, played Flag Football, Beer League Softball, Rugby, and started Powerlifting.  

At this point in my life, I still lift Heavy Weight and have been hitting the gym hard, but nothing organized. Been killing it in the gym, HIIT, Weight training,  Circuit Cardio. Dropping back down to my "grown man weight" of 245ish.