Jump to content
JetBlue

Who Will Be the Starting Front 7 On D?

Recommended Posts

Q. Williams for sure unless injured. We need Shepard and or FF to step up and replace McClendon and or Anderson as starters.  They have the ability to do so, lets see if they can take their game to the next level.   Kyle Phillips was a pleasant surprise at edge and will probably be the favorite heading into camp.  I think Zuniga (I pray he stays healthy) is going to be nipping at his heels and could very well beat him out.   Of course some lesser known DLman could surprise; I like Dominique Davis/Bryce Huff (although he may be more of a LB) as dark horses to make the team or at least the PS. 

Linebackers
There is going to be a TON of competition at LB.  I would say the only sure thing is C.J. Mosely and that is assuming he has fully recovered and can quickly shake off the rust.   Avery Williamson (assuming he is on the team), Jordan Jenkins, Neville Hewitt,  Patrick Onwuasor, Terell Basham, Frankie Luvu, Blake Cashman, James Burgess will all be battling for playing time and when the music stops a couple of them might be standing without a chair.   Gun to my head I'm going to go with Mosely, Williamson, Jenkins, Onwuasor/Hewitt.   What do you guys think?  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DL: WIlliams, McLendon, Anderson

LB: Jenkins, Mosley, Williamson & Basham.

In other words, what @32EBoozer said, except I have McLendon instead of Fatukasi.  Although Foley will be part of the regular rotation. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lith said:

DL: WIlliams, McLendon, Anderson

LB: Jenkins, Mosley, Williamson & Basham.

In other words, what @32EBoozer said, except I have McLendon instead of Fatukasi.  Although Foley will be part of the regular rotation. 

You’re probably right that with McLendon’s locker room seniority and having the admiration of his teammates he will be the starter, but I see a 50/50 split in snaps. That position in the 3-4 requires fresh legs and having two quality players will allow for that..

How do you think Onwuasor will be used? If Adams holds out or is traded I see Patrick sliding into that position. Played S in college and is physically similar to Adams.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You’re probably right that with McLendon’s locker room seniority and having the admiration of his teammates he will be the starter, but I see a 50/50 split in snaps. That position in the 3-4 requires fresh legs and having two quality players will allow for that..

How do you think Onwuasor will be used? If Adams holds out or is traded I see Patrick sliding into that position. Played S in college and is physically similar to Adams.

I think your right. Adams is a great All around player but Mosely can do anything Adams was doing around the LOS, and Onwuasor can be just as effective covering TEs with his speed. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DLine - Williams, Fatukasi (his timing of the snap is crazy), Phillips

LB - Basham, Mosley, Onwuasor (his chemistry with Mosley), Huff

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fatukasi is a real wildcard here.  If he takes the leap that he should be able to, given his production in limited reps last year, we could have a dominant 3-4 line with him, Q and Anderson.  Then have that entire group get a rest with Sheppard, McClendon and Phillips playing limited time as the backups.

At LB Mosley and Williamson should be the starters on first down along with Jenkins and he can be replaced by Onwuasor on 2nd and 3rd down.

If Adams isnt traded, I can see him as the hybrid LB/DB with Maye, Desir, and Poole.  The competition will be at the other outside CB. Personally I think Hall is talented enough and experienced enough to start in that spot as a rookie, it all depends on the health of his knee/leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KRL said:

DLine - Williams, Fatukasi (his timing of the snap is crazy), Phillips

LB - Basham, Mosley, Onwuasor (his chemistry with Mosley), Huff

 

Wow, you have Phillips taking the starters position  Huff over Basham and Onwuasor over Williamson. That’s BOLD

Are you thinking Williamson gets traded? If cut $4.5 mil in cap space. Add that to Winters and we’re at $11 mil. 

Edited by 32EBoozer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

                                  Williams.      Fatukasi.        Anderson.   
Desir.                                                                                                                   Austin. 
                      Jenkins.               Mosley.           Williamson.       Basham

                                        Adams

                                                                            Maye  
 

NB =   Poole

Designated Rusher = Zuniga

            

D's looking very promising, i must say.  Depth has improved aa well. 

QW is SUCH a key to this defense! I believe he will be very good, but hoping he can be better than that.

I think Shepard beats out Anderson, and FF over Mcclendon. 

Hoping Bless is ready to compete, because Gregg Williams will be on him. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wow, you have Phillips taking the starters position  Huff over Basham and Onwuasor over Williamson. That’s BOLD

Are you thinking Williamson gets traded? If cut $4.5 mil in cap space. Add that to Winters and we’re at $11 mil. 

KRL doesn't have Huff over Basham, he has him over Jenkins. That's an even bigger "wow"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

KRL doesn't have Huff over Basham, he has him over Jenkins. That's an even bigger "wow"

You’re right, I missed that. Damn you reading comprehension 🙈

That is even a bigger Wow considering they’re paying him $8 mil. Huff will be used in passing situations over Jenkins

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait .... where is clowney, and Ngaoue (after the Adams trade?)  And shouldn;t Ashtyn davis be in the place of the long forgotten adams?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DE: Anderson

NT: McClendon

DE: Shepherd/Fatukasi

OLB: Jenkins

ILB: Williamson

ILB: Mosely

OLB: Basham

I’m assuming QW gets a 4 game suspension 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Fatukasi is a real wildcard here.  If he takes the leap that he should be able to, given his production in limited reps last year, we could have a dominant 3-4 line with him, Q and Anderson.  Then have that entire group get a rest with Sheppard, McClendon and Phillips playing limited time as the backups.

At LB Mosley and Williamson should be the starters on first down along with Jenkins and he can be replaced by Onwuasor on 2nd and 3rd down.

If Adams isnt traded, I can see him as the hybrid LB/DB with Maye, Desir, and Poole.  The competition will be at the other outside CB. Personally I think Hall is talented enough and experienced enough to start in that spot as a rookie, it all depends on the health of his knee/leg.

I love the depth on the D line,  rotate baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lith said:

DL: WIlliams, McLendon, Anderson

LB: Jenkins, Mosley, Williamson & Basham.

In other words, what @32EBoozer said, except I have McLendon instead of Fatukasi.  Although Foley will be part of the regular rotation. 

And we can read yours 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wait .... where is clowney, and Ngaoue (after the Adams trade?)  And shouldn;t Ashtyn davis be in the place of the long forgotten adams?

Davis will be getting reps in dime packages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 32EBoozer said:

Davis will be getting reps in dime packages. 

And once Maye gets injured and/or Adams goes AWOL he will start

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And once Maye gets injured and/or Adams goes AWOL he will start

Don’t go raising a fuss over our other Safety & making him angry.... we don’t want him demanding a trade too!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Don’t go raising a fuss over our other Safety & making him angry.... we don’t want him demanding a trade too!

We need more Adams threads and people making up garbage trade rumors about Adams for Lael Collins and two first round picks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wow, you have Phillips taking the starters position  Huff over Basham and Onwuasor over Williamson. That’s BOLD

Are you thinking Williamson gets traded? If cut $4.5 mil in cap space. Add that to Winters and we’re at $11 mil. 

I'm thinking out of the box. it would've been easy to go with "chalk".
Fatukasi's snap get off was crazy last year.  Phillips was way
more athletic and disruptive than Anderson was.  Onwuasor's chemistry
and production with Mosley in BAL will give him the edge at ILB:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2576761/patrick-onwuasor

And even though Jenkins re-signed he wasn't a top priority for Douglas.
In fact it was assumed he was gone, I think Huff's speed off the edge
will excite the defensive staff 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm thinking out of the box. it would've been easy to go with "chalk".
Fatukasi's snap get off was crazy last year.  Phillips was way
more athletic and disruptive than Anderson was.  Onwuasor's chemistry
and production with Mosley in BAL will give him the edge at ILB:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2576761/patrick-onwuasor

And even though Jenkins re-signed he wasn't a top priority for Douglas.
In fact it was assumed he was gone, I think Huff's speed off the edge
will excite the defensive staff 

If Gase’s offense can actually stay on the field this defense can be nasty

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm thinking out of the box. it would've been easy to go with "chalk".
Fatukasi's snap get off was crazy last year.  Phillips was way
more athletic and disruptive than Anderson was.  Onwuasor's chemistry
and production with Mosley in BAL will give him the edge at ILB:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2576761/patrick-onwuasor

And even though Jenkins re-signed he wasn't a top priority for Douglas.
In fact it was assumed he was gone, I think Huff's speed off the edge
will excite the defensive staff 

I wonder how effective Adams will be this year now that Mosley is back. There will be a lesser need for him to move up into the box and will be used more in coverage of the TE and RB out of the backfield. I see his tackling numbers reduced and even the number of blitz opportunities. This is Mosley’s defense and he’ll call the plays in the huddle and focus on “teamwork makes the dream work” No focusing on individual stats and calling out teammates and coaches.
 

I could see Onwuasor getting more play calls for blitzes than Adams actually.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah our dline is one of the strong parts of this team and it is strong not because of drafting high.

McClendon - value free agent

Anderson - cheap trade

Fatusaki - late round pick

Shepard (who finally showed something later last year) - 3rd rounder (though it was still a dumb pick by mac)

Phillips - surprise udfa

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time in a while it feels like there's some decent depth.  Possibly with the exception of CB (where we do have a lot of young guys though) this is probably the most comfortable I've been with the second team guys.

A few thoughts....

1. We need to remember that there will be some scheme versatility here.  I'm not going to try to predict if it's 80/20, 60/40, etc. but we will see some 4-3 during games and it will be more than just a play or two.  In that regard, QW becomes a bigger weapon.  I think he's a natural 3-technique in a 4-3 and lining him up next to a big NT body like Fatukasi would be fun.  The challenge we run into a bit is with the outside rush and a lack of true 4-3 DEs who play down.  Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit but Anderson (3-4 DE), Jenkins (OLB), Basham, etc. aren't perfect for that role.  We might need to rely on Zuniga early on, even though he too is more of a versatile DLine guy and not a pure down DE in a 4-3.

2. If Jamal Adams is a Jet this season I wouldn't be surprised to see Adams, Maye and rookie Ashtyn Davis on the field at the same time a little more often than we think.  This could be a VERY versatile Secondary and the addition of Desir while retaining Poole and having a fully healthy Bless Austin makes it easy to say that the 3rd level of the D could be the group that exceeds expectations.

3. On paper, this Defense is stacked with both proven players (Adams, Mosley, Maye, Williamson, etc.) and some really exciting new and relatively new guys like Quinnen Williams, Zuniga, Davis, Austin, Bryce Huff, etc.  If things break right for the Jets (they never do!) and we simply get good health and an average progression of what you'd expect from rookies into their second year like Williams, Austin, etc. then Gregg Williams could make this group elite.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                     QW/FF/NS

JJ                   CJ   AW            JZ

PD                    JA MM           BA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TNJet said:

                     QW/FF/NS

JJ                   CJ   AW            JZ

PD                    JA MM           BA

You think Shepherd takes the starting position over Phillips and Anderson.... I’d be happy to see that Mac finally hit on a 3rd rd. pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

For the first time in a while it feels like there's some decent depth.  Possibly with the exception of CB (where we do have a lot of young guys though) this is probably the most comfortable I've been with the second team guys.

A few thoughts....

1. We need to remember that there will be some scheme versatility here.  I'm not going to try to predict if it's 80/20, 60/40, etc. but we will see some 4-3 during games and it will be more than just a play or two.  In that regard, QW becomes a bigger weapon.  I think he's a natural 3-technique in a 4-3 and lining him up next to a big NT body like Fatukasi would be fun.  The challenge we run into a bit is with the outside rush and a lack of true 4-3 DEs who play down.  Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit but Anderson (3-4 DE), Jenkins (OLB), Basham, etc. aren't perfect for that role.  We might need to rely on Zuniga early on, even though he too is more of a versatile DLine guy and not a pure down DE in a 4-3.

2. If Jamal Adams is a Jet this season I wouldn't be surprised to see Adams, Maye and rookie Ashtyn Davis on the field at the same time a little more often than we think.  This could be a VERY versatile Secondary and the addition of Desir while retaining Poole and having a fully healthy Bless Austin makes it easy to say that the 3rd level of the D could be the group that exceeds expectations.

3. On paper, this Defense is stacked with both proven players (Adams, Mosley, Maye, Williamson, etc.) and some really exciting new and relatively new guys like Quinnen Williams, Zuniga, Davis, Austin, Bryce Huff, etc.  If things break right for the Jets (they never do!) and we simply get good health and an average progression of what you'd expect from rookies into their second year like Williams, Austin, etc. then Gregg Williams could make this group elite.

I would love to see some 4-3 fronts to see how QW, FF collapse the pocket With Jenkins or Huff  & Zuniga coming in off the edge. We need speed and push upfront. This gives them both. Let GW finally have the personnel to mix things up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019 snap counts for the D Line.  Notice no player hit 50% of the snaps (last column).

Gregg Williams likes to rotate players.  I think anyone who saw more than 1/3 of the snaps is considered valuable by GW.  Shepherd saw increasing action at the end of the year after the Leo Williams trade.  He and Fatukasi are the two guys I expect to see get a larger percentage of snaps.  The big surprise?  Kyle Phillips being on the field more than any other Defensive Lineman including good, trustworthy guys like McClendon and Anderson.

 

Full Season....

1852092373_ScreenShot2020-06-28at8_37_20AM.png.ec56a0a8503c9ee6b9bdde07adeacb26.png

 

 

Now, for Week 17 only.....

1710927457_ScreenShot2020-06-28at8_46_13AM.png.849ff879d60b97121bcacfdf463a6ba0.png

In my opinion that Week 17 game was an evaluation.  GW probably utilized the guys he thinks he may rely on most in 2020 to get a sense of what that would look like.  In that regard, we're talking about QW, Shepherd, Phillips, and Fatukasi.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You think Shepherd takes the starting position over Phillips and Anderson.... I’d be happy to see that Mac finally hit on a 3rd rd. pick

I'm not sure "starter" really matters in a GW defense.  See my post above.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

2019 snap counts for the D Line.  Notice no player hit 50% of the snaps (last column).

Gregg Williams likes to rotate players.  I think anyone who saw more than 1/3 of the snaps is considered valuable by GW.  Shepherd saw increasing action at the end of the year after the Leo Williams trade.  He and Fatukasi are the two guys I expect to see get a larger percentage of snaps.  The big surprise?  Kyle Phillips being on the field more than any other Defensive Lineman including good, trustworthy guys like McClendon and Anderson.

 

1852092373_ScreenShot2020-06-28at8_37_20AM.png.ec56a0a8503c9ee6b9bdde07adeacb26.png

 

Leonard Williams saw  34% of the snaps last year ? 👀
That deal was heaven sent.

Edited by 32EBoozer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

You’re probably right that with McLendon’s locker room seniority and having the admiration of his teammates he will be the starter, but I see a 50/50 split in snaps. That position in the 3-4 requires fresh legs and having two quality players will allow for that..

How do you think Onwuasor will be used? If Adams holds out or is traded I see Patrick sliding into that position. Played S in college and is physically similar to Adams.

This is a brilliant point on Onwuasor. That signing was a head scratcher given the depth at ILB. But if they see him as a hybrid LB/S  type, that could give the defense a lot more versatility.

Between that move and drafting Ashtyn Davis, Joe D has protected himself in the event he has to move Adams. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look at this defense and I can honestly say that if the Jets offense can average 20+ points/game I can see us going 10-6. This defense can be that good. Protect Sam, get the ground game going and this is possible. I expect a lot of short fields for the offense and with our new punter a lot of opponents pinned deep in their own end. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You think Shepherd takes the starting position over Phillips and Anderson.... I’d be happy to see that Mac finally hit on a 3rd rd. pick

I liked the combo of Shep and Foley on the field at the same time last year. They proved huge against the run. Both 6-4 315. Shepherd was as good as anyone on our line the final 8 games of the year. That said, I won't be surprised if Phillips or Anderson starts over him. I thi k we have multiple starter quality tackles. Thats a good problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DL:  QW, McLendon, Anderson

OLB:  Jenkins, Basham

ILB:  Mosley, Williamson

CB:  Desir, Maulet

FS:  Davis

SS:  Maye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

                                  Williams.      Fatukasi.        Anderson.   
Desir.                                                                                                                   Austin. 
                      Jenkins.               Mosley.           Williamson.       Basham

                                        Adams

                                                                            Maye  
 

NB/Slot =   Poole

Designated Rusher = Zuniga

            

I agree with every pick but Anderson.   I think he gets beat out by Kyle Phillips.  He came on the second half of the year and finished strong.  I see him being even better with an offseason program and a years experience.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...